• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

DDJoCThVoAEFw28.jpg

Something new from the stream. o.0

J@hranimo

Banned
I believe we've seen this image before in English? I can't remember if it was a video or some off-screen scan or something. Any new info?

J@hranimo

Banned
Interesting, top option reads "look for a house". Splatoon Crossing?

Edit: rest of the options are about online play so I'm probs just missing context. Rooms probs refer to an online room I guess.

yeah, Thats the Shoal. You can create a private room or a salmon run room for local play

Ah yes, The Shoal. I remebered it's been on the NA website since last week. I believe it's the arcade on the right side of Inkopolis Square.

Kicko

So far I'm enjoying Splatoon 2's soundtrack more than Splatoon 1's. It's much more rhythmic, which is what I appreciate.

Didn't have a Wii U so I never played the first one even though I thought it looked awesome.

I'm not much of an online player, you think there's enough meat to the single player experience to justify a purchase? That's my only concern, other than that I love everything I'm seeing.

Didn't have a Wii U so I never played the first one even though I thought it looked awesome.

I'm not much of an online player, you think there's enough meat to the single player experience to justify a purchase? That's my only concern, other than that I love everything I'm seeing.

We don't know for sure, but given the first game, probably not.

Dystify

As far as I know the single player story mode should be around the same length as in Splatoon 1. This time around you can finish each stage with different types of weapons, so there's quite a lot of replay value IMO.

As far as I know the single player story mode should be around the same length as in Splatoon 1. This time around you can finish each stage with different types of weapons, so there's quite a lot of replay value IMO.

Interesting, thank you.

Definitely tempted to jump in, it just looks so unique and fun.

Blues1990

sooo. Splatoon 2 direct when? =D

Hopefully before the game launches. I would like a good low-down of all the cool stuff this game has, including a brief tour of the new Inkopolis Square where everyone is chillin'.

Would be funny if we return to Inkopolis Plaza and see it completely abandoned, seaweed growing in every crevasse, etc.

phanphare

Banned
hoping all the maps we've seen plus a couple more are day 1

also hope they bring back updated versions of some the old maps during the post-launch content updates like moray

J@hranimo

Banned
hoping all the maps we've seen plus a couple more are day 1

also hope they bring back updated versions of some the old maps during the post-launch content updates like moray

I hope so too. They really should launch with 8-10 maps compared to the 5 from Splatoon 1.

The hype is gonna get real. So looking forward to playing the game anywhere.

If the Hero Mode has as much replay value as I'm expecting, same here!

Also, Glixel put out an article interviewing Hisashi Nogami and Shintaro Sato about the game and eSports, Salmon Run, and a new mode called League Battle. Give it a read, it's got some good stuff.

Shintaro Sato said:
There's also a new mode in Splatoon 2 called League Battle. This will be a mode that players can play either in groups of two or four, and it will present you with a two-hour period in which your group competes with other groups to see how many points you can earn. Because the results of that League Battle play will be displayed in a ranking at the end of every two-hour period, we can give players goals to strive for, and hope to encourage them to keep competing and pushing.

Looking forward to hearing more!

EulaCapra

Have there been any noted changes to Inkbrush/Octobrush? I saw some Octobrush action in Treehouse Live but nothing looks different. My poor brushes still look terrible going vertically.

J@hranimo

Banned
Do you guys think there's any chance of a last minute Global Test?

Agreed. I reeeeally hope we get a Testfire of the E3 build too. Some of that 1080p/60fps goodness.

Have there been any noted changes to Inkbrush/Octobrush? I saw some Octobrush action in Treehouse Live but nothing looks different. My poor brushes still look terrible going vertically.

To me the Octobrush seems mostly the same but with a well rounded kit. I think the autobomb suits it well.

noshten

New Mode Announced: League Battle

Shintaro Sato: We definitely recommend getting eight people together in a local wireless setting, and you can play to your heart's content that way. But for those players that want to make sure that there is no lag we've also included the ability to connect eight Nintendo Switches via LAN play.

We also added a spectator mode so that players can have someone who is controlling the camera during their match from a variety of different perspectives, and then that match play can be recorded, potentially, and posted online to be shared with the wider community.

There's also a new mode in Splatoon 2 called League Battle. This will be a mode that players can play either in groups of two or four, and it will present you with a two-hour period in which your group competes with other groups to see how many points you can earn. Because the results of that League Battle play will be displayed in a ranking at the end of every two-hour period, we can give players goals to strive for, and hope to encourage them to keep competing and pushing.

Hisashi Nogami: And, you know, hopefully even players who aren't participating in that top level will find these developments interesting and enjoy viewing them from the outside.

- You can join in a squad of 2 or 4
- Two hour rotations
- Leaderboards/Ranking
- Potentially people who didn't take part can also see the leaderboards

Jintor

oh, grizzco is run by a bear! that makes sense now

wait, but non-aquatic life exists in splatworld?!? oh wait cats. huh i guess that makes sense

phanphare

Banned

that sounds cool

For those that did the test fire, how does the pro controller compare to the joycons?

the pro controller is great. it's got the gyro in there and hd rumble plus the sticks are better and the face buttons are offset from the right stick making them easier to hit.

split joy con works really well too though but I found it sometimes uncomfortable to switch from the right stick to the face buttons. with the split joy con setup you only use the gyro in the right joy con which is cool. if they ever make a joy con pro variant I'm in but for now I prefer the pro controller.

Sometimes I forget this game is less than a month away, especially since we just got ARMS about a week ago.

Is the GAF discord already set up?

Nintendo promised to rank about online voice chat prior to Splatoon launch. It is suppose to launch with Splatoon, unless plans have changed.

They mentioned again at E3 that they will talk about voice chat prior to Splatoon 2 launch.

Tabasco

I'll be disappointed if the game ends up with no splitscreen mp.

Would be pretty neat to play with at least one of my friends locally that doesn't own a Switch.

Kinokou

that sounds cool

the pro controller is great. it's got the gyro in there and hd rumble plus the sticks are better and the face buttons are offset from the right stick making them easier to hit.

split joy con works really well too though but I found it sometimes uncomfortable to switch from the right stick to the face buttons. with the split joy con setup you only use the gyro in the right joy con which is cool. if they ever make a joy con pro variant I'm in but for now I prefer the pro controller.

Thanks. I'll be getting one then.

B00TE

I would love this but sadly I don't think it will happen.
Heck I still want a bot mode.

A bot mode is something I really want to see, though I guess it's pretty unlikely. Basically, more features I can play without an internet connection would be cool. At home I'll probably be playing Turf War 90% of the time again anyway lol.

League Battle sounds really cool, I don't usually touch ranked stuff in non-fighting games anymore, but I may actually play that with a few friends of mine when we want to work together rather than just be in the same game (my small group actually likes being on different teams for Turf War) and not all be wildly different ranks for normal ranked matches.

A bot mode is something I really want to see, though I guess it's pretty unlikely. Basically, more features I can play without an internet connection would be cool. At home I'll probably be playing Turf War 90% of the time again anyway lol.

League Battle sounds really cool, I don't usually touch ranked stuff in non-fighting games anymore, but I may actually play that with a few friends of mine when we want to work together rather than just be in the same game (my small group actually likes being on different teams for Turf War) and not all be wildly different ranks for normal ranked matches.

I don't know how anyone could play Splatoon and only play turf wars. It's by far the most boring mode after you've gotten accustomed to the rank ones

Top Bottom