• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 |OT| Grodd's Among Us

Anyone else feel like this game is a bit shallow, in terms of actual footsies?

It really just seems like making individual normals unimportant and focusing on chain based combos limits the variety of character interactions.

There's also a real lack of mid range play - for the most part, I think you really would rather be in someone's face doing a combo string, or full screen throwing projectiles. Being mid range seems like a bad spot for many characters to do anything.

Compare to most fighting games where each character has slightly varied footsie ranges they are trying to get to. Injustice kind of has two ranges, maximum and minimum. Anything else is just in process of getting to those ranges.

I still have fun with the game but I think I'm just not grasping the logic for interacting with another player when neither person has the advantage.

If you're up against a character that has the ability to use fast zoning projectiles then yes, prepare for the full screen game.

If you're up against a rushdown/mixup character like Cheetah or Black Canary, prepare for the face-to-face game.

But saying that there's no range other than those two is false. Catwoman can play the mid-range as a get-in and get-out type. Scarecrow and Swamp Thing have incredible mid-range. Poison Ivy with her plant out can dominate the mid-range and take advantage of her long-ranged normals. Superman, Wonder Woman and a few others.

There's definitely mid-range play but the prevalence of zoners just means that most of the time you're gonna try to be getting in on someone from a full screen away but that's not always the case.

It also has to do with skill and the more prevalent movement options in general. A lower-skilled player is not going to have as strong a sense of spacing as a more experienced player.

If you're up against a character that has the ability to use fast zoning projectiles then yes, prepare for the full screen game.

If you're up against a rushdown/mixup character like Cheetah or Black Canary, prepare for the face-to-face game.

But saying that there's no range other than those two is false. Catwoman can play the mid-range as a get-in and get-out type. Scarecrow and Swamp Thing have incredible mid-range. Poison Ivy with her plant out can dominate the mid-range and take advantage of her long-ranged normals. Superman, Wonder Woman and a few others.

There's definitely mid-range play but the prevalence of zoners just means that most of the time you're gonna try to be getting in on someone from a full screen away but that's not always the case.

It also has to do with skill and the more prevalent movement options in general. A lower-skilled player is not going to have as strong a sense of spacing as a more experienced player.

I feel like having long range normals in this game is useless against rushdown characters because none of them can match the Batman/black adam/supergirl damage on rushdown. Ivy has long range normals, but she gets maybe 200 damage without meter burn, vs Robin, supergirl, etc rushdown when they get through getting 400-500. So mid range characters are expected to win twice with their slower, riskier normals vs the rushdown with their safer, faster normals. Seems better to just go for the rushdown or stay as far out as you can and zone.

Footsies just don't seem to exist. It's hit confirmation and zoning. There's very little of that classic fg pokes and counter pokes and counter hits or antiairs. I've been watching streams of this game and there's no antiairs. It's just blocking or projectile hits.

Khezu

What Supergirl gets like 250 for a bar of meter lol.

She has terrible damage.

She is suppose to make up for it with her mix up game.

But I don't think she does, her damage along with being kinda unsafe on everything makes her bad IMO.

Think of it this way: how many times a match do you use a ground normal without intending to go into a combo?

It's not very often.

"Controlling space" just doesn't seem to exist in a big way. Think about how a Chun Li player in super turbo might use standing medium punch as a way to counter poke an opponent and harrass from range.

It feels a little more like marvel in that way in that every approach or attack isnt meaningful in itself but rather to open the door to a combo or damage. Marvel has more emphasis on control of screen space though assists and covering assists though.

Khezu

Outside of F3 and B3 you rarely ever use a normal by itself in Injustice.
With the exception of a few characters.

Or with the intend to mixup via staggering your strings.

In Injustice the footsie game is largely matchup based, but mostly comes down to spamming your best mid starting combo string and canceling it into a safe special, or hit confirming it into a combo starter.

Usually fast advancing mids are the best footsie tools in NRS games, it's why Superman is so good, F23 is basically an easy mode poke and wiff punisher and combo starter.

Trying to compare it to other 2D games is hard because you have to think of the combo strings them selves as individual normals if that makes any sense, you don't just poke with B1, you poke with B1,2,2 xx safe special. Or you stagger your strings by cutting them off short to force a reaction.

You absolutely can play the mid range wiff punish and poke footsie style game in Injustice, but the issue is, you don't really need to, with how good rush down and zoning are, only certain matchups will force you to do it.

The way footsies work in NRS games makes a lot of sense if you played a lot MK9 and X, since those games require it a lot more then Injustice.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Anyone else feel like this game is a bit shallow, in terms of actual footsies?

Yeah, it's not a game about single hits hurting. The closest you get to that is landing inescapable throws.

3 ~ 4 hits are their "single" hits. A Fierce blow = A back or forward Heavy that leads into a combo via bounces.

The game is about giving one a chance to always do SOMETHING about what's happening to them. You can flip out of juggles, Clash out of combos to regain health, Meter-Burn to roll out of corners, and even mash buttons to buff or weaken supers.

Distributing damage over a spread of situations feels more "fair" to their designers. Until you've burned all your meter and options, you always have something to do, to get out of most situations.

And as far as not having Anti-Airs... I think the cr.2's are generally pretty solid. I really like CheetaVixen's, and every AA generally leads into (once again) combos / opponent forced to meterburn to avoid combos.

I've never had a problem with AAs in this game, everyone in the cast has a reliable option in the form of their d2 and generally different characters have different options.

Characters like Cheetah or Catwoman can use a DP, Green Arrow has the upward blast and the arrows to try and deal with crossups, Poison Ivy's D2 is an incredible predictive Anti air and her b3 works well from an angle, you can basically never jump in on a patient Brainiac, etc etc.

timedesk

Neo Member
I've been playing for about a week, and have been having a great time. I am really shocked how much I have enjoyed playing Green Arrow. All his interactions are really charming, and I like how he plays both in close quarters and at range. Also the boxing glove arrow is the most fun move in the game, I seriously love it.

The only negative has been unlocking special skills. I have been trying to get a Catwoman skill for a trophy, and even after at least a hundred or so motherboxes no luck. I do have like 5 Wonder Woman ones though, so if I ever use her that might be fun.

All in all this game has been a great time, and I am already excited to see what they bring over for MK11.

I've never had a problem with AAs in this game, everyone in the cast has a reliable option in the form of their d2 and generally different characters have different options.

Characters like Cheetah or Catwoman can use a DP, Green Arrow has the upward blast and the arrows to try and deal with crossups, Poison Ivy's D2 is an incredible predictive Anti air and her b3 works well from an angle, you can basically never jump in on a patient Brainiac, etc etc.

Interesting. I've seen tons of player struggle with anti airing stuff like batman j2 from anything other than max range and personally have issues anti airing it from anything other than max range with say, robins D2. Its possible to get the DP anti air, sure. But it whiffs from alot of ranges and overall it just feels very inconsistent to anti air it and a few other jump-in normals. I was thinking it could be something I don't understand about the game engine because its gotten to the point where I'll just walk under and catch people on tripguard instead of trying to anti air traditionally. Could also be because Robins D2 is like, 8 frames or something. Maybe a 6 frame D2 helps.

Razmos

Pretty exciting that Red Hood could be coming as soon as next week. I hope Starfire isnt too far behind but I feel like they'll force Sub-Zero down our throats first

I was worried this might be the case.

To be fair, not all d2s suffer from this. Ones that don't have an actual hurtbox mixing with the hitbox, like Poison Ivy's d2, are fantastic here.

Things like Brainiac db3 (the one with the tentacles that rise above him) is great for anti airing, as well as his d2.

Characters generally have options but some are just better at it than others.

To be fair, not all d2s suffer from this. Ones that don't have an actual hurtbox mixing with the hitbox, like Poison Ivy's d2, are fantastic here.

Things like Brainiac db3 (the one with the tentacles that rise above him) is great for anti airing, as well as his d2.

Characters generally have options but some are just better at it than others.

I see, thanks. I was planning on picking up Ivy so that's reassuring atleast.

Canary's d2 also seems kind of bleeeeeh. Everything she has is so short.

But her mixups from her standing 2. Jesus christ.

Low. Overhead. Delayed Overhead. Delayed low. And that's not even bringing special cancels into the mix.

Her limiting factor is definitely her range but she definitely has the tools to close the gap. Her anti airs also aren't that good too.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What Supergirl gets like 250 for a bar of meter lol.

She has terrible damage.

She is suppose to make up for it with her mix up game.

But I don't think she does, her damage along with being kinda unsafe on everything makes her bad IMO.

She's probably best as a counter zoner tbh

But yeah her damage is ass.

Xeteh

But her mixups from her standing 2. Jesus christ.

Low. Overhead. Delayed Overhead. Delayed low. And that's not even bringing special cancels into the mix.

Her limiting factor is definitely her range but she definitely has the tools to close the gap. Her anti airs also aren't that good too.

Yeah, for sure. I just feel like I get outpoked on her constantly but I've gotten a lot more consistent with her combos. I still fuck up the timing after a mb bf2 a bit but I'm getting better. Hopefully there are some Canarys at Combo Breaker this weekend. Watching streams and shit like WNF and I don't see her at all.

Starting to tinker with regen tokens (have 99 of them so it's giddy up time lol). I just might turn Superman into more of a tank than I already have him as!

Hmm, WB owns The Matrix. Neo would make a fitting guest character.
giphy.gif

Never stop cat dashing
Pretty much, yes.

Also b3 constantly.

I finally got Cyborg to level 20, so I'm now praying to the RNG gods for some epic drops. I have some cool epic pauldrons for him, but I'm not keen on the other epic gear I have.

He's so much fun to play as in this game though. Not having a garbage character power is a huge change for him.

bubumiao

I think I'm going online for the first time tonight. Any advice?
Good luck. Practice combos when you have time, it helps (preferably offline).

Starting to tinker with regen tokens (have 99 of them so it's giddy up time lol). I just might turn Superman into more of a tank than I already have him as!
Not sure if I used one the right way or if it glitched because the stats it showed me weren't exactly the same as shown after I accepted the changes (only used 1 regen token once).

Braniac gear multiverse up for the next 6hrs. bonus mother boxes if you complete it with Black Adam.
What an unfortunate time to find about this. I'm going to bed now. :(

What an unfortunate time to find about this. I'm going to bed now. :(
In my experience if you start a multiverse and put the console to sleep you can still do the entire thing after it expires as long as you don't back out to the planet selection menu. Helped me the other night.

In my experience if you start a multiverse and put the console to sleep you can still do the entire thing after it expires as long as you don't back out to the planet selection menu. Helped me the other night.

Does that work?
I was playing a multiverse the other day, and I'd left it on during a match. When I completed the rest of that ladder and collected my reward at the end, when it went to the challenge selection the multiverse disappeared and kicked me back to the planet selection screen, so I didn't get to play the last challenge I had left.

I finally got Cyborg to level 20, so I'm now praying to the RNG gods for some epic drops. I have some cool epic pauldrons for him, but I'm not keen on the other epic gear I have.

I dunno. I got Super girl to 20 and have been getting garbage loot for her ever since.
Even did the Super girl multiverse and still got junk.

Top Bottom