• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

AndersK

Fuck me. This game is legit and very well done. Is there ever gonna be a draft-like/arena mode? This could consume me.

hollomat

Banned
One of the little details I really appreciate about this game is that each card has the artist listed on it. This game has some fantastic art and this allows anyone interested to look up the artists other work.

Tunahead

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what ports do I have to forward on the PC to get past the title screen? I tried figuring it out from the support pages but I couldn't find the right article.

Lucumo

I can't even get my dailies done cause people just alt-F4 whenever you start winning :/

Don't you win automatically then though?

But yeah, I noticed these Pioneers whine a lot. First they start saying things like "bad move" etc but when they then lose, it's "wäh wäh". Any way to disable those comments? Probably not...

But yeah, I noticed these Pioneers whine a lot. First they start saying things like "bad move" etc but when they then lose, it's "wäh wäh". Any way to disable those comments? Probably not...

You win and get xp, but it doesn't count towards your daily goals for winning rounds.

FHIZ

As someone who was super into Gwent in The Witcher 3, I was really excited for this, I never really did a lot with the closed betas, but noticed there were a lot of changes to the game, probably to make it a more fully fledged thing they could get money out of, which I get, but... yeah I don't know, I'm not sure if I like it, so before I get too bummed out I got some questions

Do I just accept that the cards they start you out with are just pure trash and do I have to get my ass surely whooped online to get more kegs and cards? Because I'm just trying to fool around in the Ai battle or challenges to wrap my mind around all the new systems, and I'm getting fucking stomped. Especially in challenge mode, where the first Norther Realms challenge can seemingly wipe the board of my cards with two of theirs and come out the other end with a 50+ score for the round.

On top of that, is the AI just broken? I've played a few rounds in the quick AI battle and it just seems that the AI doesn't know when to stop. It will go card for card with me and lay down damn near their entire deck, and still whoop me, because like I said in the first point, it seems like all the starter decks suck.

Are there cards that are better suited to play first? Everything seems like they have an ability but that just makes it seem like every card is a waste to play first because there's nothing on the board for it to do anything to.

Am I just missing something here? Where do I start for real? I feel like the only option is going online but it just keeps going back to the seemingly underpowered decks I have compared to everything else and the idea of having real people destroy me instantly isn't all that encouraging.

For whatever reason just looking at this whole thing is bumming me out and I don't want it to, so I'd really hope I'm just missing some early thing that would help me get going.

For whatever reason just looking at this whole thing is bumming me out and I don't want it to, so I'd really hope I'm just missing some early thing that would help me get going.

Try the Skellige starter deck, it has a lot of buffing and revives, and works really well in the Northern Realms challenges. Has quite a few cards that deal direct damage to weaken the enemies board, too.

Jeez. Weather sure sucks. Since they net some value immediately, clearing the weather puts you behind value wise instantly. Now you can't even wait it out since your units are being demolished.

I don't mind the idea of it doing so much but it isn't double sided anymore. The initial point of weather in the W3 Gwent was to harm your opponent more than you harm yourself. That logic is completely gone. Weather is like a super ballista now.

Like Drought and RNR. If it's moderately even and you don't have a clear weather, just pass. Row stacking which used to be inadvisable actually seems like a good idea now. Better to eat that rare lacerate than provide value for these wacky gold weather cards. The bronze ones are kind of worse since they can damage multiple units once a floor/ceiling is created.

FHIZ

Try the Skellige starter deck, it has a lot of buffing and revives, and works really well in the Northern Realms challenges. Has quite a few cards that deal direct damage to weaken the enemies board, too.

So I'm trying that and I'm met with a bunch of cards that just apparently hurt themselves when they're deployed? Then I played my leader card which was apparently supposed to play my highest powered bronze card in my deck and power it up or something... So I play an 8 power card and when all is said and done it's a 6, offering no offensive benefit.

what the hell did they do to this game?! What's the point of saying a unit's power is such and such number only to lower it immediately when it's played? If it's a 6, just make it a fucking 6.

"Play the highest loyal unit in your deck, strengthen it by 3, then damage it by 1"

Why?! What is the point of that?!

So I'm trying that and I'm met with a bunch of cards that just apparently hurt themselves when they're deployed? Then I played my leader card which was apparently supposed to play my highest powered bronze card in my deck and power it up or something... So I play an 8 power card and when all is said and done it's a 6, offering no offensive benefit.

what the hell did they do to this game?! What's the point of saying a unit's power is such and such number only to lower it immediately when it's played? If it's a 6, just make it a fucking 6.

The self damage can be used to further buff. The warriors, for example, if you play those on the second or third round they stay at an even 8 due to the veteran ability, but still count as damaged. Combine that with a war crier, say, and a few of the warriors, and you get a huge point boost from playing one card. (War criers increase 3 damaged units power to the left(?) by half.)

The Skirmishers combined with Priestess of Freya are also gross. I've gotten those all the way up to 17 before.

"Play the highest loyal unit in your deck, strengthen it by 3, then damage it by 1"

"Strengthen" is to increase its base (white) strength, as opposed to "Boost" which is green strength. So you're increasing the base strength of the card by three, then doing one damage to it, which puts it into a "Wounded" (red) state. Then there are cards that will combo off of things being wounded.

This game does a lot of smart things that I wish Hearthstone would copy like letting you pick the 5th card from every pack.

I've seen people including myself getting screwed by Scorch not realizing it targets your own cards as well.

Monsters is still fking cancer

I actually haven't seen it yet. I played Dorfs for a while, still seemed really strong (really liking Quen in it, surprisingly). Switched over to play some Nilfgaard when some guy almost whomped me with Spotter and it made me want to play a better version.

I don't mind the idea of it doing so much but it isn't double sided anymore. The initial point of weather in the W3 Gwent was to harm your opponent more than you harm yourself. That logic is completely gone. Weather is like a super ballista now.

i was thinking about that, and i agree... and i had a crazy thought, what if rnr and drought also affected the casters own melee row? like it can't be contained cause its too powerful yadda yadda

Eric WK

This game does a lot of smart things that I wish Hearthstone would copy like letting you pick the 5th card from every pack.

I've seen people including myself getting screwed by Scorch not realizing it targets your own cards as well.

Scorching yourself is a Gwent rite of passage.

i was thinking about that, and i agree... and i had a crazy thought, what if rnr and drought also affected the casters own melee row? like it can't be contained cause its too powerful yadda yadda

Weather should definitely affect both sides, especially the super OP ones.

Clear Skies should then clear a single row on both sides.

A gold/silver version should clear all rows.

Certain cards should benefit from weather on your side of the field.

I hate how weather is a stacking/draining mechanic and not a clever strategic card that you BOTH have to play around.

Pepboy

As someone who was super into Gwent in The Witcher 3, I was really excited for this, I never really did a lot with the closed betas, but noticed there were a lot of changes to the game, probably to make it a more fully fledged thing they could get money out of, which I get, but... yeah I don't know, I'm not sure if I like it, so before I get too bummed out I got some questions

Do I just accept that the cards they start you out with are just pure trash and do I have to get my ass surely whooped online to get more kegs and cards? Because I'm just trying to fool around in the Ai battle or challenges to wrap my mind around all the new systems, and I'm getting fucking stomped. Especially in challenge mode, where the first Norther Realms challenge can seemingly wipe the board of my cards with two of theirs and come out the other end with a 50+ score for the round.

I'm happy to try and help. The cards you start out with are restricting, that's for sure. But it has less to do with the cards and more about how and when to use them.

For example, I completed 3 of the Northern Realm challenges last night with the basic starter Northern Realms deck without a sweat -- I often had 2-3 cards leftover that I didn't need to play. The main difference is I had several dozen games of experience from the last closed beta -- it takes time to get to know the systems at play. More on this below.

A separate issue is getting stomped online. Right now a lot of people from the closed beta have a lot of free kegs. But the hidden matchmaking (hidden ELO score) was reset for EVERYONE. So everyone is starting at square zero even though some people are clearly more skilled and better equipped than others. This will take a few days until the matchmaking gets better at putting you with other beginners.

However, it's not just about cards. I was playing with the basic Northern Realms deck online and won 3 out of 3 matches with other players, some of them who had drawn or crafted non-starter cards. (Did lose once with Skellige basic deck before I switched to Northern Realms.) My friend is also playing with the starter decks and is doing really well online. He was in the top 10,000 in the closed beta but hasn't opened any of his kegs because he wants to see which factions he enjoys.

On top of that, is the AI just broken? I've played a few rounds in the quick AI battle and it just seems that the AI doesn't know when to stop. It will go card for card with me and lay down damn near their entire deck, and still whoop me, because like I said in the first point, it seems like all the starter decks suck.

I mean that may be annoying but I'm not sure I'd call it broken. There are reasons why the AI would keep playing cards. For example, if there was only a 4 point difference and the AI passes, then you would only need to play a relatively weak 5 point card to win the match.

Are there cards that are better suited to play first? Everything seems like they have an ability but that just makes it seem like every card is a waste to play first because there's nothing on the board for it to do anything to.

Yes, definitely. For example, in Northern Realms, the Hero card -- Foltest -- I often like to start by playing this card. Why? Well he buffs all the cards in your hand and deck by 1. He's not going to buff cards in the graveyard or cards already on the table. So I want to get that buff on as many units as possible, as early as possible.

He also lays down a 4-power unit on the board. This is now something my opponent often responds to, rather than passing.

For example, let's say they started the game. They play a 5-strength unit. I play my Foltest, which is only 4 strength. Then they play another 5-strength unit for a total of 10 strength.

Now you might think "Oh good I can still play a 7-strength unit and catch up!" This, in my play style at least, would be a mistake. Just pass. Lose the round on purpose. The opponent has burned 2 cards to win that first round vs your 1 AND now they have to play the first card on the new round. Furthermore, you added value to all your future cards. While your opponents cards (usually) are cleared. In other words, they wasted a card and 6 strength to win the first round. That will hurt them in the next two rounds.

Another easy case would be the Northern Realms Trebuchets. Every turn they attack the enemy and do 1 damage. If you expect this to be a long round, you want to put those out early so they do a lot of damage over time.

Northern Realms now also has cards with Armor. Generally speaking, putting those out early is pretty nice since they have some protection against attacks. Plus, you have cards like Redanian Calvary that can eat your own armor (or even enemy armor) to gain buffs, turning the defense to offense. There's another NR card that buffs units every turn as long as it has Armor on itself -- this is also a good one to play early-ish on in a round, so it can boost units nearby for many turns.

Am I just missing something here? Where do I start for real? I feel like the only option is going online but it just keeps going back to the seemingly underpowered decks I have compared to everything else and the idea of having real people destroy me instantly isn't all that encouraging.

I would avoid online for now until you get a handle on the challenges. I mean you might get lucky but I do agree it would be discouraging. I don't mean to be dismissive -- I was once at the same spot as you in the closed beta -- but I found the challenges too easy to the point of being boring, even with the starter decks. If I had to guess, I think you just need to play more challenges until little things start clicking. Like tiny euphorias -- some cards work really well together in ways that weren't immediately obvious.

My general advice would be to either try Northern Realms, just because that one the synergies are more straightforward, or just in general, try different faction's start decks.

The Mulligain phase is pretty important. Learning which cards aren't needed takes time and practice with the deck, and also getting to know your opponent's factions as well.

Weather should definitely affect both sides, especially the super OP ones.

Clear Skies should then clear a single row on both sides.

A gold/silver version should clear all rows.

Certain cards should benefit from weather on your side of the field.

I hate how weather is a stacking/draining mechanic and not a clever strategic card that you BOTH have to play around.

The thing is that they need to add just as many bronze faction minions that can clear weather effects as there are that create them. It's way too much in the favor of one atm.

Otherwise it's just lopsided and you can't keep up like it is now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes, definitely. For example, in Northern Realms, the Hero card -- Foltest -- I often like to start by playing this card. Why? Well he buffs all the cards in your hand and deck by 1. He's not going to buff cards in the graveyard or cards already on the table. So I want to get that buff on as many units as possible, as early as possible.

He also lays down a 4-power unit on the board. This is now something my opponent often responds to, rather than passing.

For example, let's say they started the game. They play a 5-strength unit. I play my Foltest, which is only 4 strength. Then they play another 5-strength unit for a total of 10 strength.

Now you might think "Oh good I can still play a 7-strength unit and catch up!" This, in my play style at least, would be a mistake. Just pass. Lose the round on purpose. The opponent has burned 2 cards to win that first round vs your 1 AND now they have to play the first card on the new round. Furthermore, you added value to all your future cards. While your opponents cards (usually) are cleared. In other words, they wasted a card and 6 strength to win the first round. That will hurt them in the next two rounds.

Another easy case would be the Northern Realms Trebuchets. Every turn they attack the enemy and do 1 damage. If you expect this to be a long round, you want to put those out early so they do a lot of damage over time.

The Mulligain phase is pretty important. Learning which cards aren't needed takes time and practice with the deck, and also getting to know your opponent's factions as well.

This sounds like stuff they should put in the tutorials instead of "lol we'll get to that later, Geralt. Just mulligan them for now!"

SRG01

Does anyone know how to send taunts/compliments on PC? I just played a match and the other person sent "Not bad, not bad at all" twice during the game :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does anyone know how to send taunts/compliments on PC? I just played a match and the other person sent "Not bad, not bad at all" twice during the game :)

Click your avatar for the commorose.

I actually haven't seen it yet. I played Dorfs for a while, still seemed really strong (really liking Quen in it, surprisingly). Switched over to play some Nilfgaard when some guy almost whomped me with Spotter and it made me want to play a better version.

I tried a dorf squirrel deck for a while and I find their opening game a bit too awkward imo. Especially if you go first since most of their deck is reactionary.

Mulligan and ambush squirrel cards don't really mesh well with it either.

SRG01

I tried a dorf squirrel deck for a while and I find their opening game a bit too awkward imo. Especially if you go first since most of their deck is reactionary.

I'm playing a similar deck at the moment. I forgone the ambush cards and added the commando units instead, which works pretty well when it does work.

To be fair, it would probably work better if I had focused more on the mulligan aspect instead of making a hybrid deck, but I don't have enough scraps!

TheKeyPit

Banned
Cerys + Queensguard is pretty weak. Especially Cerys. She's pretty much a gold Roach now with a condition attached. It wouldn't be so bad if her timer was 3 so she would come back with the set of Queensguard but you also need another revive on top. Morkvarg could cover that but they nerfed him to lose 3 strength per turn so if discard to play him round 1 he's dead by round 3.

There are much more devastating combos that provide better tempo. All the while you're susceptible to having your graveyard messed with. With the numerous hard counters that exist you'd think this deck would be bullshit powerful but it's not.

Don't bother with Cerys.
I'll continue to play how I want.

See, I don't do anything fancy like that. I mostly just make really large, shielded dwarves with resilience. The entire deck is almost entirely buffs. It's simple. It's dumb. It's remarkably effective.

The AI is very bad and most challenges are too easy (you can do it without taking care of what the opponent deck is, just focusing on playing a good card combo). The starter decks should be enough to beat the AI.

Are you reading the description of every card played? There has to be abilities and concepts you are still not understanding. Click on the graveyard to read cards played and used up, too. There is no time limit when playing against it.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Honestly dude, it sounds like this game isn't for you. Not sure how you can say you were super into it in TW3 but have everything go completely over your head here. There are a few more layers to it for sure but it's fundamentally the same. Build a deck with cards that combo well, and bait your opponent into making a mistake. The challenges are way too easy and you can crush most of them with the tutorial deck on your first try.

Pepboy

Don't play skellige as new player. That faction's starting deck feels like bean counting, and has a lot of intricacies. Play Northern realms or monsters.

JustinBB7

Fuck me. This game is legit and very well done. Is there ever gonna be a draft-like/arena mode? This could consume me.

There are talks about a new mode on the way, nothing on what it is and when though.

You can turn it off in options as well as clicking on their avatar.

Come on, use a bit your imagination: it's true that's pretty weird, but precisely because how weird it is, surely you can suppose there has to be other cards that have a benefit or play an extra effect when they are damaged. Like "gain 1 strength when for every point of damage a player does on the board" or things like that.

Good rule of thumb for card games: Every time you see an effect that doesn't seem beneficial to the card where it is, it's actually beneficial not in that card but in other cards of the same deck.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Skellige to a first player, it's one of the most unintuitive decks, based on wounding your own cards and sending your cards to the graveyard.

Jamiaro

The last Monsters-Challenge can go to hell. Fog whenever it wants, Ragh Nah Roog... Yeah, not fun.

Edit: I taste the salt.

Kaname

Sometimes when I have to redraw a card the one currently in my hand doesn't load so I can't select it or do anything, is it a bug? :( Lost an easy match because of this crap

The last Monsters-Challenge can go to hell. Fog whenever it wants, Ragh Nah Roog... Yeah, not fun.

Edit: I taste the salt.

Yep, that was the only hard one. Fog with leader, two more fogs, 6 card summoned with the fog, 3 crones, Ragh Nah Roog...

In a way the fact that was the hardest challenge (even with the AI being bad) points out the fact that RNR and weather cards are unbalanced.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fuck skellige, i'm out of this shit faction

Top Bottom