• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

AB12

OMG you're not kidding. Just watched a bunch of youtube scenes--BioWare have become a bunch of dickheads. This guy was optional DLC? Really? You had time to write, voice and compose all those freaking scenes but you only had time for a colour-swap ending? And a shit-one at that?

Grrrrrr. They've earned all the scorn they've received over this IMHO.

He wasn't optional, they decided to take him out, and charge extra. It seems to have worked for them, because they were bragging that 40% of players bought his DLC.

the character design of Javik kind of pissed me off, he's just a mashup of the different races. He's got a Salarian mouth, Quarian hands and feet, Batarian eyes and a Turian shaped head.

To all of the new people: Welcome. We ran out of hugs in OT1. Look up Marauder Shields, he died for your sins of completing the game. Check out the tumblr. And there's some other things

He wasn't optional, they decided to take him out, and charge extra. It seems to have worked for them, because they were bragging that 40% of players bought his DLC.

Yah, really loving the new EA regime. Anything for a sale...

To all of the new people: Welcome. We ran out of hugs in OT1. Look up Marauder Shields, he died for your sins of completing the game. Check out the tumblr. And there's some other things

I really love Marauder Shields. I wish he'd completed his mission. Why did I have to be so good at shooting him the face?

And hugs? I could use one...

televator

Mass Effect is going for $29.99 or so I hear....

Is this presumed to be because sales have significantly diminished as a result of the terrible word of mouth about the ending? If so...goooooooooood.

1186332_o.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is this presumed to be because sales have significantly diminished as a result of the terrible word of mouth about the ending? If so...goooooooooood.

1186332_o.gif

Plenty of games lower in prices after a couple of months, the ending has nothing to do with it probably.

Now that the hoopla died down a bit, I wonder if Mass Effect will be remembered 10 years down the line. I never played it but I still hear/read people talk about Final Fantasy VII with fond memories due to the death of Aeris.

rozay

Banned
Plenty of games lower in prices after a couple of months, the ending has nothing to do with it probably.
It's not normal for games to slash half the price 2 months later, though. Maybe a drop to $40, but even gamestop of all places is selling new copies for $30.

Gazzawa

Now that the hoopla died down a bit, I wonder if Mass Effect will be remembered 10 years down the line. I never played it but I still hear/read people talk about Final Fantasy VII with fond memories due to the death of Aeris.

Thats not the reason. The franchise has spiralled downhill to that extent. If there are no Mass Effect games people will talk about this game 5 years down the line. Its the premier console space odessy game to which all others will be compared
we'll bang ok?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's not normal for games to slash half the price 2 months later, though. Maybe a drop to $40, but even gamestop of all places is selling new copies for $30.
I don't usually track numbers, but I do think it has to do with the sales.

Still, I want BW do some kind of ambassador program for getting ME3, like they did for DA2 -- though I'm not sure what game they would give away.

I don't usually track numbers, but I do think it has to do with the sales.

Still, I want BW do some kind of ambassador program for getting ME3, like they did for DA2 -- though I'm not sure what game they would give away.

Well, they are giving away an extended DLC cut and so far all the new multiplayer content has been free. That'll change eventually, but they've been generous considering how badly they fucked the fanbase over at launch.

IoCaster

Once they get the extended ending out, I'm sure we will see 2 or 3 substantial story dlc ala Overlord/Shadowbroker.

It's going to have to be one incredibly awesome DLC to lure anyone back to revisit that mind-numbing and astonishingly stupid final chapter in the Shepard saga. Good luck with that.

Rodhull

Yeah I agree. With the way it finished it would take something pretty significant to make me buy any singleplayer DLC. I bought all the DLC for 2 but the idea of extra missions that'll likely just account for more resources to go towards the EMS rating is not appealing at all.

televator

Yeah, after that ending I pretty much don't care about the ME universe. So DLC wont mean anything to me now. It's gonna take some real magic for BW to fix that in the extended ending...ironic.

so finally finished this today, logged about 50 hours, pretty sure at least 10 hours of that was idle time from falling asleep while playing twice. So before I tough on the ending, a few things...

1. I enjoyed the majority of the side missions more then the main story arc.

2. The main story was a mess throughout. Kei Lang was very forced. You can tell they wanted a character who was similar to Saren, but failed horribly. I had no emotion to the character at all, and his "boss fight" was very underwhelming. The last 3rd of the game had the only real emotional impact. Rannoch, Thessia, Horizon, Cereburus HQ should have been spread out across more of the story

3. mechanically, it's by far the best in the series. Shooting feels solid, powers are as smooth as ever and I know a lot of ME1 fans hate it, I like the way Skill trees are streamlined.

Now to the ending. I still hate "human reaper" more, but yeah ME3's ending is shit. I had over 4000 EMS, played balanced of paragon/renegade, imported ME1/ME2 with all characters surviving and choose the destruction of the Reapers. I think it's clear that either a. Bioware had no idea what they wanted for the overall story of this series or b. they threw out all future story plots each time they made a new game. No consistency throughout, and overall each new game shits on the previous and the universe as a whole. The 2 "to be continued" parts of the ending just make it worse, like nothing we did mattered.

I really love the universe, but feel let down by Bioware. Overall I enjoyed

Trigger

\
2. The main story was a mess throughout. Kei Lang was very forced. You can tell they wanted a character who was similar to Saren, but failed horribly. I had no emotion to the character at all, and his "boss fight" was very underwhelming. The last 3rd of the game had the only real emotional impact. Rannoch, Thessia, Horizon, Cereburus HQ should have been spread out across more of the story

There was nothing more jarring than putting the beatdown on Kai Leng only for him to throw cheap insults at Shep as if they were evenly matched.

the chris

2. Kei Lang was very forced. You can tell they wanted a character who was similar to Saren, but failed horribly. I had no emotion to the character at all, and his "boss fight" was very underwhelming. The last 3rd of the game had the only real emotional impact. Rannoch, Thessia, Horizon, Cereburus HQ should have been spread out across more of the story

Kai Leng was the worst part of the game to me, he was supposed to be some bad-ass killer, but the first time we see him in action he manages to be fought off by Thane(who is sick and only has a little while left to live.) So he's basically undercut as a bad guy the first time you see him in action, and by the end of the game he isn't so much as a bad-ass as he is just some asshole you want to go away.

You forgot TAKE BACK OMEGA which will not impact the ending at all

You say that now, but little do you know that Omega is actually a hyper-advanced transformer-esque being, the last of its kind. (Why else would Cerberus want control of that dump?) Once you free it from Cerberus, you must engage in a lengthy dialogue battle to convince this ultra-powerful being to aid you against the Reapers. If you succeed, he integrates with the Normandy, and you then get to pilot something that looks like a cross between Grimlock and the Normandy.

Instead of going down to the Earths surface during the final battle, you fly around for about 10 minutes fighting Reapers left and right before a harrowing battle with Harbinger and his personal guard. When all seems lost, Omega separates from the Normandy and sacrifices itself to destroy Harbinger.

With Harbinger dead and the Reaper forces reeling from the battle, the catalyst attempts to intervene. He approaches Shepard and tells her that synthetics must be destroyed or they will destroy all organics! Not believing this bullshit for minute, a dialogue wheel comes up, but instead of dialogue, there are fun and interesting ways you can destroy this stupid fucking child apparition that has come out of absolutely nowhere trying to shit up your victory. Being an infiltrator myself, I will have options such as [Incinerate] or [Cloak and preform Neck-Snap], but there will be many class specific choices. Whatever you choose, you are rewarded with a nice animation of Shepard completely obliterating that little prick.

With the war all but won, you are rewarded with a 10 minute, personalized cutscene that is presented Return of the King style, wrapping up most loose ends, but still leaving some room for speculation.

And I haven't even begun to tell you about how the war asset system is being revamped, but I'm sure I've spoiled enough!

Look for the Mass Effect 3 DLC "Take Back Omega" coming this fall, free of charge!

Dilly

Banned
You say that now, but little do you know that Omega is actually a hyper-advanced transformer-esque being, the last of its kind. (Why else would Cerberus want control of that dump?) Once you free it from Cerberus, you must engage in a lengthy dialogue battle to convince this ultra-powerful being to aid you against the Reapers. If you succeed, he integrates with the Normandy, and you then get to pilot something that looks like a cross between Grimlock and the Normandy.

Instead of going down to the Earths surface during the final battle, you fly around for about 10 minutes fighting Reapers left and right before a harrowing battle with Harbinger and his personal guard. When all seems lost, Omega separates from the Normandy and sacrifices itself to destroy Harbinger.

With Harbinger dead and the Reaper forces reeling from the battle, the catalyst attempts to intervene. He approaches Shepard and tells her that synthetics must be destroyed or they will destroy all organics! Not believing this bullshit for minute, a dialogue wheel comes up, but instead of dialogue, there are fun and interesting ways you can destroy this stupid fucking child apparition that has come out of absolutely nowhere trying to shit up your victory. Being an infiltrator myself, I will have options such as [Incinerate] or [Cloak and preform Neck-Snap], but there will be many class specific choices. Whatever you choose, you are rewarded with a nice animation of Shepard completely obliterating that little prick.

With the war all but won, you are rewarded with a 10 minute, personalized cutscene that is presented Return of the King style, wrapping up most loose ends, but still leaving some room for speculation.

And I haven't even begun to tell you about how the war asset system is being revamped, but I'm sure I've spoiled enough!

Look for the Mass Effect 3 DLC "Take Back Omega" coming this fall, free of charge!

In reality it's the bolded and "War assets +100"

Rapstah

Where did the idea that the beginning of the game was as rushed as the end of the game come from? I was randomly linked to a Giant Bomb E3 breakdown from last year and Jeff Gerstmann describes pretty much exactly the level we got around 10:50.

Arjen

Where did the idea that the beginning of the game was as rushed as the end of the game come from? I was randomly linked to a Giant Bomb E3 breakdown from last year and Jeff Gerstmann describes pretty much exactly the level we got around 10:50.

Final Hours app

Lime

There was also the picture of the whiteboard in Bioware detailing the milestones. It basically said the intro and ending had to be developed in November, 3 months before the game had to go gold. Simply incredible managament.

There was also the picture of the whiteboard in Bioware detailing the milestones. It basically said the intro and ending had to be developed in November, 3 months before the game had to go gold. Simply incredible managament.

That's also incredibly shitty writing. Everyone knows you do your beginning and end first.

That's also incredibly shitty writing. Everyone knows you do your beginning and end first.

What's weird is that it seems like usually people make stuff in chronological order: beginning -> middle -> end. So then the end usually ends up being underwhelming/short, while the beginning is either boring due to its tutorial nature, and the middle is the good part.

This always surprises me; you'd think you'd want to get the beginning and end done first (assuming your technology is ready to go), and then make the middle be as good as it can be with the remaining time. It is, after all, the last thing your players experience.

Of course most people don't even finish games....

In other media with little interactive aspects, sure. But the core of any game is a core set of mechanisms and rules, meaning that the body always has to come first. Any fiction 'surrounding' that body is really just an excuse, like Spacewar! having two 'spaceships' shooting at each other.

While this is not an excuse or anything, and certainly not something that should have happened for a story driven series, from the design process it probably does make sense to put beginning and end after creating the body of the game.

You forgot TAKE BACK OMEGA which will not impact the ending at all

I don't see how anyone would be willing to purchase any DLC that doesn't impact the story.

For me to purchase the"TBO" DLC it would have to execute the following:
-activates prior to meeting Aria or possibly even before the Reaper Invasion
-after completion Aria references my assistance when meeting her at the Citadel
-At that point side missions exclusive to the DLC will be activated, with her as a squad member(renegade)
-personally I would like a renegade and paragon story with the DLC ..if u help her you are choosing the renegade option and u have the option of her being a L.I. Paragons are against her and when arriving at the Citadel, you have to track her down to bring her to justice.
-DLC exclusive cut scenes later in the game

That is the only way I will even consider purchasing any ME3 DLC. If not, EA/Bioware has seen the last of my money towards anything ME related. Can't believe how bad they dropped the ball with Aria..Well doesn't surprise me considering ME3 pretty much crapped on many ME2 characters.

Old wounds are now reopen :(

rozay

Banned
I don't see how anyone would be willing to purchase any DLC that doesn't impact the story.

For me to purchase the"TBO" DLC it would have to execute the following:
-activates prior to meeting Aria or possibly even before the Reaper Invasion
-after completion Aria references my assistance when meeting her at the Citadel
-At that point side missions exclusive to the DLC will be activated, with her as a squad member(renegade)
-personally I would like a renegade and paragon story with the DLC ..if u help her you are choosing the renegade option and u have the option of her being a L.I. Paragons are against her and when arriving at the Citadel, you have to track her down to bring her to justice.
-DLC exclusive cut scenes later in the game

That is the only way I will even consider purchasing any ME3 DLC. If not, EA/Bioware has seen the last of my money towards anything ME related. Can't believe how bad they dropped the ball with Aria..Well doesn't surprise me considering ME3 pretty much crapped on many ME2 characters.

Old wounds are now reopen :(
game development ain't no charity, man

Holy shit. And they have the gall to refer to their customers as "entitled" when they're called out on delivering a shit-fest of an ending?

They have KILLED Mass Effect for me. I know, I know, 90% of the people who rage about never buying their games again will quietly pre-order the CE when all is said and done, but I'm not that 90%. I stuck to my guns and got it from the LIBRARY BioWare. This was your last chance.

I'm the kind of guy who'd pay $15 for a broken NES, but I won't fork over $9.99 for DA2. I bought DA1. I bought ME1 with joy in my heart--read every codec entry. I hesitantly bought ME2 and was disappointed in the move away from exploration toward shooty--shooty-shoot-em-up. After playing through the entirety of ME3, making sure every dolt had the pipes/plans/relics they needed, I will not be buying it.

You have offended me so deeply with your callous treatment of the end of such an "epic" trilogy I won't be buying ME3, even to round out the trilogy as a collector. I buy 10x the games I can play, and ME3 will not be one of them!!

I bought Devil May Cry 2 for fuck's sake--just so I could have the whole trilogy! DMC2!!!

You. Broke. Mass. Effect. Forever.

*phew*

god i need a hug. being late to the party has its draw-backs...

speaking of which--what's with "we'll bang OK". can't seem to find what that refers to--just the pic of creepy maleshep face or is there more?

Top Bottom