• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect System & Game Review Thread [Update: Lots Of Reviews Post 223]

GavinGT said:
I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm saying publishers want to come to IGN with these exclusive first-review deals because they tend to be lenient with those scores.

And I'm saying in light of the score your argument is ridiculous. In this industry usually anything below an 8 is considered really poor.

qwerty2k

*edited as although i know i set this whole thing off want to remain on topic and positive if possible*

looking forward to playing dance central and kinect sports really, has any 'hardcore' games been announced with kinect support?

GavinGT

Banned
PopcornMegaphone said:
And I'm saying in light of the score your argument is ridiculous. In this industry usually anything below an 8 is considered really poor.

Unless it's a console Sonic game released in 2010.

SuperÑ said:
I eagerly wait for the Kinectimals review.

where is your avatar from? Its driving me insane :lol

also the game will probably sell like hotcakes like all the crap wii games did right away

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hopefully there will be some Kinect demo stations setup at some shops. Best Buy seems poised to offer this as they have a huge demo station section now including one that is obviously for Kinect (but not yet setup). I would definitely like to try it.

I'm still feeling a bit baffled by the excitement, though. There isn't a single launch title that is even remotely interesting to me. Even stuff like the Wii and DS (which I feel had terrible launches) had a few things that were appealing. This lineup is more on par with the Jag CD and 32X launches (OK, perhaps not THAT bad, but close enough).

qwerty2k said:
*edited as although i know i set this whole thing off want to remain on topic and positive if possible*

looking forward to playing dance central and kinect sports really, has any 'hardcore' games been announced with kinect support?
You mean for launch? Not really but there are a bunch of games like that down the pike, most of which we don't really know much about. Child of Eden comes readily to mind though.

qwerty2k said:

That was a fucking embarrasment.

[Nintex] said:
The 10/10's for Kinect Sports are gonna make some people shit bricks.
That's good because I've been gently nurturing a brick of shit in my colon for a few days now, for this purpose.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
dark10x said:
I'm still feeling a bit baffled by the excitement, though. There isn't a single launch title that is even remotely interesting to me. Even stuff like the Wii and DS (which I feel had terrible launches) had a few things that were appealing. This lineup is more on par with the Jag CD and 32X launches (OK, perhaps not THAT bad, but close enough).

Well, it seems that Dance Central is by far the stand out title when it comes to hype, it probably gets more mention around here than all the other launch games combined but I think most of the excitement right now is about the tech more than anything. It's something new and people want to see it for themselves.

I'm personally hyped to just try it out for myself after all the excitement and bullshit since launch and I look forward to using it for dashboard navigation and stuff like that as much as playing the announced software.

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
Hopefully there will be some Kinect demo stations setup at some shops. Best Buy seems poised to offer this as they have a huge demo station section now including one that is obviously for Kinect (but not yet setup). I would definitely like to try it.

Apparently the world didn't have enough dance games, fitness games and mini-game compilations . Now gaming is complete.

Dunlop

Amir0x said:
Apparently the world didn't have enough dance games and mini-game compilations . Now gaming is complete.

Yeah cause the current console dynamic of sports games, racers and FPS is so damn innovative.

Man

"The challenge of the game is to learn how to control it"
"Menus are downright terrible unless you're using voice"
"Once you learn how to steer it the game is actually really easy"
"Not userfriendly"
*sees player hit walls at straight stretches*
*sees Dreamcast level graphics*
$49

What I foresaw happening is happening.

V_Ben

Banned
Dunlop said:
Yeah cause the current console dynamic of sports games, racers and FPS is so damn innovative.

Replacing one wrong with another doesn't make a right. Both are as bad as each other. It's what sells, and thusly will be what will be created most often by developers. It's down to the devs to do original and fun things with the genre they've chosen (Notes your avatar).

Amir0x

Banned
Dunlop said:

You mean the current dynamic of literally every genre ever conceivable under the sun, including the mini-game compilations, fitness games and dance games that Kinect has?

Never in the history of videogames have we had more diverse offerings.

I guess we just didn't have enough lag before, though. Pump it up to eleven

Man said:
"Not userfriendly"
$49

What did you foresee happening?

Kafel

Banned
Amir0x said:
Apparently the world didn't have enough dance games, fitness games and mini-game compilations . Now gaming is complete.

The 360 crowd didn't get them at least. A bit of catch-up won't hurt.

It's not like it's the only thing they get these days.

Snuggler said:
Well, it seems that Dance Central is by far the stand out title when it comes to hype, it probably gets more mention around here than all the other launch games combined but I think most of the excitement right now is about the tech more than anything. It's something new and people want to see it for themselves.

I'm personally hyped to just try it out for myself after all the excitement and bullshit since launch and I look forward to using it for dashboard navigation and stuff like that as much as playing the announced software.

This is pretty much me as well. IMO the launch titles are pretty meh, but I think the tech is cool and I'm interested in Kinect's potential.

Dunlop

V_Ben said:
Replacing one wrong with another doesn't make a right. Both are as bad as each other. It's what sells, and thusly will be what will be created most often by developers. It's down to the devs to do original and fun things with the genre they've chosen (Notes your avatar).

So far the impressions have been quite positive, people want to play a game to have fun and it sounds like they are with some of the Kinect games.

Also Kinect has the ability to create innovative games that simply cannot be replicated by any other system and possibly break the cycle. It might not but the possibility is there.

Man

Megadragon15 said:
What did you foresee happening?
IGN seemingly doing horrible reviews and not giving honest purchase guidance. I foresaw them continuing their trend.

Amir0x said:
You mean the current dynamic of literally every genre ever conceivable under the sun, including the mini-game compilations, fitness games and dance games that Kinect has?

Never in the history of videogames have we had more diverse offerings.

I guess we just didn't have enough lag before, though. Pump it up to eleven

Hey, there's no experience quite like awkwardly mimicking real life actions and delay seeing that action a further 150ms until it actually occurs. Now that's an intuitive/innovative experience I'd pay £129.99MSRP for. Super quick button presses are for luddites and trolls.

GarthVaderUK said:
Just read the other day that Frontier Developments developed that one, thought it was Rare for some reason!
V_Ben said:
I did too, you're not alone :lol

I think that's because the game looks like it's using the engine from Viva Pinata. That's what I thought when I saw the game the first time.

Speevy

Banned
It's uh...one of the stronger games of the Kinect launch, yeah... I would say that, definitely.

*counts bills*

All I care about is Dancemasters. If it actually works and detects you like it should (i.e. no random "misses" because of chance) then I'll buy one.

Man said:
"Not userfriendly"
$49

Where the hell are you seeing DC level graphics.

If anything I was really impressed by the visuals, and this game actually looks really fun

Crayon

Now when people ask me about Sonic Riders I can assure them it's a good quality videogame. I feel informed.

aegies

Man said:
"Not userfriendly"
$49

That's some pretty awesome context removal/flatout falsification of Jack's review you pulled off there. Super efficient!

- The challenge of the game is learning how to play it. Why is this weird?
- The menus are an abortion. For reals. But you can control them using your voice, which helps.
- Once you learn how to control the game, it's easy... to control the game. Quote: "But once I got into the groove and retrained myself to play the game the way it was telling me to, it all became a lot more fluid and easy. I've played the previous Sonic Riders games, and this is definitely the most fun I've had with the series. It brought back fond memories of playing Top Skater in the arcades. "

As for your other bullshit, I quote the following:

"Each of the 16 tracks has numerous shortcuts and secrets, so there are multiple strategies to perfect. They're all well designed, they feel unique, and they're all large and vibrant. There's a lot going on onscreen, from dolphins jumping over the track to temples collapsing, and the game runs beautifully without any slowdown. "

"Sonic Free Riders is, ultimately, a fairly standard racer that works well for Kinect. Pretending that you're on a hoverboard is actually a lot of fun. The tracks are well designed, the level of board customization makes the game more robust than many racers, and the numerous multiplayer modes keep the game entertaining past the main missions."

I didn't particularly enjoy the 20 minutes I spent playing Sonic Free Riders. Jack genuinely did, with caveats.

Shurs

aegies said:
That's some pretty awesome context removal/flatout falsification of Jack's review you pulled off there. Super efficient!

- The menus are an abortion. For reals. But you can control them using your voice, which helps.
- Once you learn how to control the game, it's easy... to control the game. Quote: "But once I got into the groove and retrained myself to play the game the way it was telling me to, it all became a lot more fluid and easy. I've played the previous Sonic Riders games, and this is definitely the most fun I've had with the series. It brought back fond memories of playing Top Skater in the arcades. "

"Each of the 16 tracks has numerous shortcuts and secrets, so there are multiple strategies to perfect. They're all well designed, they feel unique, and they're all large and vibrant. There's a lot going on onscreen, from dolphins jumping over the track to temples collapsing, and the game runs beautifully without any slowdown. "

"Sonic Free Riders is, ultimately, a fairly standard racer that works well for Kinect. Pretending that you're on a hoverboard is actually a lot of fun. The tracks are well designed, the level of board customization makes the game more robust than many racers, and the numerous multiplayer modes keep the game entertaining past the main missions."

I didn't particularly enjoy the 20 minutes I spent playing Sonic Free Riders. Jack genuinely did, with caveats.

Was this an exclusive review? If so, what were the terms?

Will IGN have any more exclusive Kinect reviews?

Firewire

Banned
Kafel said:
The 360 crowd didn't get them at least. A bit of catch-up won't hurt.

It's not like it's the only thing they get these days.
But Kinect supporters told us that Kinect was for the casuals, now its for the 360 crowd? :lol

Firewire said:
But Kinect supporters told us that Kinect was for the casuals, now its for the 360 crowd? :lol

Erm, I'm pretty sure he meant the 360 didn't get most of those types of games. Not casuals vs hardcore.

LiK

Kagari said:
And yet posts like these are just as bad.

The thread will stay open so people curious can check the scores without having to sift through the main thread.

indeed, i don't wanna rifle through the OT and look for reviews and impressions. this is a quick and dirty way to check scores quickly. give OP a break.

aegies said:

wheres my thanks for helping you out with a tag arthur! is kinect sports embargo thursday?

Top Bottom