• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's voice actor: HL3 not in dev for several reasons; insufficient Mo-Cap tech.

Akey

Banned
I think the fact that L4D3 is being developed with Source 2 makes it clear HL3 is not being worked on.

Withnail

Yep, we've known for some time that that's how Valve works. You want to work on a project? Pull up your desk and get cracking with the rest of the team.

Half Life 3 could be in development if there were enough people who wanted to make it. As we've seen from Dota 2 and now, apparently, Left4Dead 3, there don't seem to be many people at Valve who want to make Half Life 3. And if they don't want to make it, I wouldn't want them to.

Seriously? I think 99% of game devs on the planet would sell a kidney to work on HL3. I just don't buy the thinking that devs within Valve are not interested in it and would rather be doing other things.

tci

maybe they had this one idea requiring motion capturing and then realised it wasn't possible, then they all moved on and forgot about it.
That would be my guess as well.

Or they could work on something else while they figure it out. Shouldn't be that hard to implement late in the development if it's during gameplay (?).

sflufan

Banned
Seriously? I think 99% of game devs on the planet would sell a kidney to work on HL3. I just don't buy the thinking that devs within Valve are not interested in it and would rather be doing other things.

Why is it so hard to believe that Valve developers aren't interested in another Half-Life game?

Valve gives developers the opportunity to experiment with ideas. Why on earth would anyone who is given that latitude want to work on a scripted, cinematic shooter -- a genre that has effectively been done to death at this stage?

In fact, they should be praised for NOT wanting to work on the Half-Life series - not because the series is bad, but because it shows that they're willing to embrace the creative freedom they've been given.

Piers

When you have expectations from millions now inflated to unworldly size, the rising production values in modern FPS, and the fact people are desperate for the sequel to a now legendary series...

That alone is enough to not risk it. People don't seem to accept that HL3 could end up being awful, or at least mediocre in comparison to the insane stuff coming out now. Personally, I would not want a repeat of Duke Nukem Forever.

Interfectum

I can't believe some of you still think HL3 is coming anytime soon. Forget about it. The dream is dead. As a gaming collective we all need to move on from Half-Life at this point. It had it's time and place but it's done.

sense

it boggles my mind that they can't even come out and say what the hell is going on. just say it is not being worked on and be done with it or say it is in development and that they are having problems or something along those lines. this way people are not hoping for the game to be revealed forever. the silence is just maddening to say the least.

Twinduct

Maybe it's not being made since as it stands now, HL3 needs to be absolutely perfect for it not to backfire. Think of having to make a game that is a follow up what most PC centric gamers still call one of the best games ever made.

I wouldn't be able to do it ... I'd straight up go stir crazy with just trying to 'make it better'.

Not surprised in the slightest. Valve will only release HL3 when they feel it can push the genre forward like the last two games did. To them, Half-Life is a flagship for new tech and standards and as annoying as it is to wait all these years for the game, we'd be disappointed with anything less.

gaben53xhl.jpg

I think he just does not give a fuck. It's nice to have ambitions, but nothing prevents them to make an excellent Half-Life 3 for the fans now and then integrate such new ideas a few years later in Half-Life 4. God, we could already have Half-Life 4: Episode 2 was released in 2007, HL3 could have been 2010, HL4 in 2013 and HL5 in 2016. Just... just forget it. He obviously does not care about HL anymore.

Bedlam

What? No...this can't be the reason. There's no difference between mocap keys and hand animated keys...in the end you have to clean up the mocap data anyway (often times using it only as reference, you animate the character on top of it similar to tracing a character over live footage in 2d)

You can just easily delete all the keys for the head and have it remain in a blank state, or have the mocapped animation blend with the head aiming in game.

There are plenty of easy solutions for this :s
Yup.

The guy said it himself: "As far as I know." His knowledge in animation is obviously not very far-reaching.

Withnail

Why is it so hard to believe that Valve developers aren't interested in another Half-Life game?

Valve gives developers the opportunity to experiment with ideas. Why on earth would anyone who is given that latitude want to work on a scripted, cinematic shooter -- a genre that has effectively been done to death at this stage?

In fact, they should be praised for NOT wanting to work on the Half-Life series - not because the series is bad, but because it shows that they're willing to embrace the creative freedom they've been given.

Yeah they're passing on HL3 because they want the creative freedom to make another co-op zombie game.

graywolf323

perhaps but it's rather insulting to fans they didn't at least give us Half-Life 2 Episode 3 before they stopped working on the series then

This makes no sense to me

One of the great things about HL2 is that all of the characters that you meet actually look at you when they talk to you no matter where you go or stand. With mo-cap you can’t do that, at least not yet.

So.....how was it done in HL2 but you can't do it in HL3?

sflufan

Banned
perhaps but it's rather insulting to fans they didn't at least give us Half-Life 2 Episode 3 before they stopped working on the series then

No, it's not "insulting" in the least.

Would you rather have had a mediocre Episode 3 that no one actually wanted to work on but felt they had to out of some sense of "obligation" to the fans? You should be glad that they'd rather let the series die than deliver a mediocre/sub-par product because that would actually be the easy thing to do.

"Insulting" would have been to crap out a half-hearted Episode 3 just to appease the fans.

I can't stand mo-cap.

It always confuses me that Valve has such high standards for its game design and the tech behind it.. yet the Steam UI is such a mess!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This makes no sense to me

So.....how was it done in HL2 but you can't do it in HL3?

I'm assuming HL2 isn't mo-capped.

His conjecture seems nutty either way. Don't animators hand-tweak mo-capped animation all the time? Why would head tracking another character be an impossible problem in computer science?

No, it's not "insulting" in the least.

Would you rather have had a mediocre Episode 3 that no one actually wanted to work on but felt they had to out of some sense of "obligation" to the fans? You should be glad that they'd rather let the series die than deliver a mediocre/sub-par product because that would actually be the easy thing to do.

"Insulting" would have been to crap out a half-hearted Episode 3 just to appease the fans.

Why are you assuming it would be "mediocre/sub-par"? Maybe they should just get their shit together and make a good game? Hint: It's not impossible to make a good game with today's tech.

sflufan

Banned
Gemüsepizza;76499503 said:
Why are you assuming it would be "mediocre/sub-par"? Maybe they should just get their shit together and make a good game? Hint: It's not impossible to make a good game with today's tech.

Tech has nothing to do with it which is why I don't buy this guy's story.

Because if no one actually wants to work on it, but they feel the have to work on it, then you can be assured that the odds of it being mediocre/sub-par are greater than it being spectacular.

Why should they "get their shit together" to make a game that they're not actually interested in making?

FoneBone

Hasn't Newell confirmed more than once that it (er, "Ricochet 2") is still happening? That doesn't say much about the actual state of development, mind you...

sirap

I'm assuming HL2 isn't mo-capped.

His conjecture seems nutty either way. Don't animators hand-tweak mo-capped animation all the time? Why would head tracking another character be an impossible problem in computer science?

Its not even an issue, nobody uses raw mocap data anyway. You either clean the curves up heavily or animate based on the captured data. There should be no problem blending the existing animation curves for the head with the animation of the NPC's head tracking you.

The lack of HL3 is just starting to get sad at this point. It doesn't help that they seem stuck on Dota2 which I'm not interested in at all. Namely I dont have the time to invest in it, or the patience to deal with the generally awful communities MOBA games have.

Because if no one actually wants to work on it, but they feel the have to work on it, then you can be assured that the odds of it being mediocre/sub-par are greater than it being spectacular.

Why should they "get their shit together" to make a game that they're not actually interested in making?

Then hire a new team? I am sure there are plenty of extremely good devs who would move mountains to work on Half-Life 3. And Gaben has over $1.5 billion, this would be *nothing* for him.

sflufan

Banned
Gemüsepizza;76500211 said:
Then hire a new team? I am sure there are plenty of extremely good devs who would move mountains to work on Half-Life 3. And Gaben has over $1.5 billion, this would *nothing* for him.

Perhaps those are the developers that Valve simply isn't interested in hiring.

If your reason for wanting to work at Valve is to work on Half-Life 3, then Valve probably isn't the studio for you.

Haunted

Who needs Half Life 3 anyway, it's not like they left us hanging with a tense cliffhanger or anything.

OH WAIT

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Makes no sense. "We can't animate a the head and eyes of a model to look at you because some of the other animations we want to use are mocap"

wat.

sflufan

Banned
Gemüsepizza;76500699 said:
What, why?

I'm just speculating naturally, but from what I've heard about Valve, they're looking for a certain type of developer to work for them and I have a feeling that a developer whose sole objective is to work on Half-Life 3 simply isn't going to meet the criteria Valve has for bringing someone into the studio.

If the desire to work on Half-Life 3 develops in that person organically while working at Valve, then that's a different story entirely.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Valve why, why must you make me be upset with you.

I can't say I blame them though. Half Life 3 is going to be nothing but disappointment to fans at this stage. I am pretty sure even if it had come out a year ago I wouldn't have bought it till the steam sale, there is hype surrounding it but it doesn't feel genuine.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I remember seeing the filming rigs they had for the L4D2 face capture sessions - and those were just for expressions and not fully captured dialog iirc. They were pretty huge so I can see how it would be a logical nightmare to try and use something like that tech with movement.

Still, get it done Valve.
The dream is dead

I'm getting the feeling valve has their heads up their asses more lately. They still make great games mind you, but I just don't want to see them head down the Blizzard path of "our shit don't stink".

Nymphae

Banned
I'd laugh if some lone indie developer just decided to finish the trilogy for them, seems like the only way it'll ever get done.

There's plenty to play these days, so I'm not too hung up about it not being released yet, but the absolute silence from them about it is pretty insulting in my mind, it was one of gamings biggest & most praised franchises, and so many people are looking forward to the finale, you'd think they could at least say something.

Why on earth would anyone who is given that latitude want to work on a scripted, cinematic shooter -- a genre that has effectively been done to death at this stage?

So a F2P moba and a Left 4 Dead sequel is conpletely unique and genre-shattering?

Burt

I'm calling misdirection bullshit. Next gen consoles with next gen Source a few months out and HL3 isn't in production because of mo-cap of all things? Suuuuure.

If anything, the voice actor is just being a smartass and trying to confuse people by saying "Half-life 3" instead of "Episode 3". Although, at this point I think it's time for Valve to ditch the episode format and jump to 3.

Top Bottom