• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

Fou-Lu

360, sure I've gotten quite a bit of play out of it, but with the amount of times I've had to fucking rebuy the damn thing I could've just got a good gaming PC early and started my steam collection sooner.

DR2K

Banned
Probably the Gamecube, never felt it was relevant enough and Nintendo's software was mediocre back then.

IrishNinja

You hate me because I didn't like the Dreamcast? LOL

well, let's not go with "hate". "vehemently disagree"? "quietly hope you step in dog poop for saying this?", these are prolly closer to my true feelings.

Dreamcast

...and then there were two

Atari Lynx II

I traded in my launch Game Boy with games for it.

jbx8Tm8ZxCXqDg.png

Capable system, with really crappy games. No Link's Awakenings or Gargoyle's Quests on that one.

damn. i did the same thing, but traded for Game Gear - looking back, between Zelda LA, Metroid 2, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel etc, i really missed out. Defenders of Oasis or whatever wasn't really worth it.

Ponn

Banned
To all the Wii haters, the system is awesome. Where else are you going to get a million old school styled games like 2d platformers, plus all the other great Nintendo games?

You convinced me. I'm going out right now to get one. I mean seriously holy shit, a million games. A MILLION GAMES!!

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
EDIT* Read the OP

Buying that second PS2 at launch ....they both broke at the same time!

None, I wouldn't regret buying any system that has at least one game I really enjoyed playing on it that I couldn't have played anywhere else.

360, sure I've gotten quite a bit of play out of it, but with the amount of times I've had to fucking rebuy the damn thing I could've just got a good gaming PC early and started my steam collection sooner.

That's the crux of my issue. Built shabby 360's.vs inferior ports on the ps3 and shitty online experience (this may have changed...i was a day 1 buyer). I ended up buying 3 360's and using the PS3 for bluray until I gave it to my son. He likes it.

Most of the purchases I regret were a result of something better coming along shortly after my purchase. I bought a GBA only to have the GBA SP come out soon after. I bought an original PSP and then the PSP 2000 came out. I also bought like 4 different versions of the DS: phat, lite, DSi and XL.

Kacho

Gold Member
well, let's not go with "hate". "vehemently disagree"? "quietly hope you step in dog poop for saying this?", these are prolly closer to my true feelings.

Hey, if makes you feel any better Chu-Chu Rocket was an alright game. That said, I'll be sure to curse your name the next time something bad happens to me. ;)

zroid

Banned
The original Xbox.

Back in 2003, I had to make a difficult decision. For the first time since the Genesis (which I didn't even own anymore), I was going to buy a non-Nintendo console. I made the tough call to pick up an Xbox for a handful of reasons, including Halo 2 parties, the upcoming KotOR, and the fact that a good friend of mine had a PS2 and I thought it'd be better to get something different.

Ended up not really liking either of them. Halo 2 became the game that officially caused me to take a general disliking to the FPS genre -- nothing specifically against the game at the time, it just became a type of gameplay I no longer enjoyed, which continues to this day. As for KotOR, for whatever reason, just couldn't get into it. I didn't enjoy the combat, and the story didn't manage to engage me enough. Got bored about 10-15 hours in, and never went back.

Ultimately, I only bought about 6 or 7 Xbox games, and it turned into my Jade Empire, Vice City and Ninja Gaiden box, which are the only games on the system I actually played through to the end. Ninja Gaiden remains one of my favourite games ever, so that is the one saving grace of the system, in my eyes. Overall, I regret buying it quite a bit. PS2 was what I needed, and I eventually wound up getting one in 2007 (AFTER buying a Wii!) and then a PS3 in 2008.

Still don't have a 360...

Edit: You might be saying, "But you sold your Genesis! Surely you regretted that?" Well, no, the problem was I never bought any games for it. I just rented a ton. Eventually, when I was moving on from the 16-bit era, all I had were a lame light gun thing and Sonic 2. My dad just decided to trade it in.

SparkTR

None. Even if I don't play it as much as I thought I would I still appreciate the peace of mind knowing that if a cool game does come out, I'm ready for it.

I should also point out I always buy consoles at least one year after launch.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Neo-Geo Pocket is the only one I can think of. The Wii has had some of the best games of this generation, not sure how someone could be upset with that purchase.

PSP would be the only other one that I kind of regret. Every other console I've owned has provided a ton of entertainment.

Dicer

Banned
Damn there are a lot of lame arsed replies in here, but i expected no less, trolls can't help but troll.

OT: I guess I really haven't regretted any of them, I hardly use my 360 and I am still paying for live (MS decided to go and charge my card even though my time ran out and they had to dig up another card to charge without my consent, but I digress) That would be the closest to regret, Vita will be close behind if the situation doesn't change soon.

Chocobro

Initially it was the Wii because I only had party games, but Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower came out (plus modding). As of now, it is the PS3 my dad bought because I don't have time to play it and installing stuff after downloading it is a drag whereas it's good to go after downloading on the 360.

MechaX

I personally felt the Wii's purchase was justified for me. Yeah, it was mostly due to getting it, plus Brawl, plus two controllers/nunchucks for $150, but I felt games like Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, the three Trauma Center games, and the No More Heroes games justified its existence for me.

I would say that I probably regretted buying the Dreamcast (at least buying the Dreamcast at launch). I really only owned like four games for the system and everything else I just played over my best friend's house whenever he got something new. And the entire "price drop to $99" didn't really help things at all.

None. Never bought a console I regret, although I have given Microsoft way too much money this generation. I've effectively bought 4 360s I think ... I got one + extended warranty from Best Buy (used to be a great program), that broke so I swapped it for another + warranty (which they did away with pretty much because of the 360), and then swapped that one for an 360 + paid $50 more to get an Elite figuring it wouldn't break. Of course, the elite broke but instead of shipping it back to Microsoft and paying $100 (it was out of warranty), I just bought an Arcade after that.

I don't regret it though. I hardly play my PS3 and I'm varryingly disappointed by it, but I don't regret getting it. I didn't get the Wii this generation.

Valnen

Ended up not really liking any of the exclusives, bought a crap load of Rock Band DLC I can no longer use now that I had to sell the system. Oh well. Had I went PS3 from the start this whole generation would have been way more enjoyable.

steveovig

I'm not buying a console just for platformers, give me more genres and less party games. Oh, and a good online structure. They better get their shit together for Wii U.

But you've got to remember, some people do buy consoles just for that kind of thing.

zroid

Banned
I don't regret the Wii even a little. It's easily the best Nintendo system since the SNES, in my opinion, and seeing as I was too young to get much out of the SNES back then, virtual console has been quite a boon to me. <3 the Wii.

Derrick01

Banned
To all the Wii haters, the system is awesome. Where else are you going to get a million old school styled games like 2d platformers, plus all the other great Nintendo games?

Nowhere, that's the point. Those are largely the reason why I got rid of mine, they can't sustain a system alone for me.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Both my wii and PS3 this gen. Outside of Silent Hill Shattered memories and the first few non combat hours of uncharted 2 there isn't anything I feel like I would have missed if I didn't have them. Nintendo even shoving waggle in Galaxy/DKCR is one of my least favorite decisions ever in terms of actual gameplay. As bad as making Kinect part of aiming in halo or something as insanely bad.

Once I had money to buy whatever consoles/games I wanted I no longer was glad I had them all.

90%+ of my favorite games this gen have been cross platform.

Maybe my 3DS, if only because the price was steep and they dropped it pretty quickly.

My 3DS experience is the primary reason I don't own a Vita right now. I'm not gonna bite until it's cheaper and has more games so I don't get burned again.

I've never sold one of my consoles, but I feel like a consumer zombie for hype-buying the vita

It just… takes up space that it didn't earn.

Fixed for me at least.

That said, I can't understand these wii responses. One hour with the system taught me that there is no way in hell I'd buy that until it was dirt cheap.

For me anyone who buys a wii, move or kinect is just asking for buyers remorse. All three have play for 3 months then watch gather dust written on them.

Boss Man

The original Xbox. I bought it to play Halo with friends, was impressed with Live, had fun for a month or two, never found another reason to touch it.

Probably the only reason I don't own a 360 right now, regardless of how logical that is.

I regretted buying the 360 at launch, because I spent a lot of cash on it and Perfect Dark Zero was a huge disappointment. Disappointment doesn't do it justice, I hate that game because I spent so much cash on it.

It was the first machine I'd ever bought with money from a real job and was also paying for a car at the time. I thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my young financial life. Then I downloaded Geometry Wars and everything was fine.

Most expensive 400 Microsoft Point game of all time, but totally worth it.

see5harp

PSP. I really hope the Vita can manage to get some steam because so far it almost feels exactly like year one of the PSP.

Hex

Banned

Everything you state is good about the Wii is better on the DSi and besides that, you have not looked around enough on the PSN and Xbox live and on the numerous collections of older games that have come out on both systems if you think that is the only place to find old school games, platformers and other innovations.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Out of the ones I have purcahses... PS2.

I played it the least out of all the ones I have owned (MS2, SNES, N64, PS1/2, DS, Wii) as I was full time PC gamer by this point.

Yup.
I bought the PS2 when it got the re-model and I mean I put some time into it but not nearly as much as I put into my previous consoles.

First thing that came to mind was the Wii, combined I think I've played about 200 hours on the thing and that includes 2 rpgs. I bought it just before the price drop too which makes it sting even more.

Probably didn't need a 360 either

coopolon

To be honest I never got much use out of my PS1. For some reason if I was gaming on a console I stuck with the 64. I think this is largely because I basically missed all the good games (I didn't get any magazines, none of my friends played games, and I didn't use the internet much at that age so I just never knew about them). The only game I can even recall playing to completion is MGS, which was great and all, but hardly made the thing worth it.

Lemonte

3ds. I bought it for the 3d and I hardly even can use it because of the viewing angles. I don't like the menus and way the e-shop works. Button layout is horrible and face buttons aren't very responsive, liked the ones on ds lite better. Worst console I have ever owned.

I regretted buying the Wii as early as I did. I played a lot of games on it in the first 2 years, but they were all disappointing outside of Mario Galaxy. So I sold my first Wii a few years ago and just recently bought a new one for Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade, and The Last Story.

jay

None. I like video games and actively look for new things I know little or nothing about, including titles on systems with few games. I've been meaning to build my 3DO library, get a Jaguar, and so on. Once all the console war bullshit is over, it's hard to believe some gamers don't view all systems with curiosity and the desire to find out what makes each interesting.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Shit...

Where do I start?

Turbo Express - just didn't have the games. FUCKING THING BROKE SO EASILY!
Sega CD - I loved Lunar...and that's it. FUCKING THING BROKE SO EASILY!
3DO - I LOVED SSF2T. FUCKING THING BROKE SO EASILY!
CDi - LOL ZELDA! I don't even know what I did with this thing to be honest :p
360 - Besides Culdcept, I haven't really touched anything on it. There are games, but I get the PC version.
Game Gear - I never got over the blurriness and...just the games always felt floaty and off. FUCKING THING BROKE SO EASILY!
Wii - LOVED LOVED LOVED it when it first came out. Meh now. SNES will always be the greatest console ever! Still so many awesome games that were never translated too.
3DS - I want to like this more. I got all the big releases. But, a lot of these games are using control schemes that are hurting my hands. I can't imagine playing MH on this thing. Can't wait for Culdcept though. GAME OF THE FOREVER!
VITA - I also want to like this. Very few games right now. There's so much potential, but it doesn't even look like Sony is supporting it much. I REALLY hope E3 turns this machine around. In terms of tech and potential, there's so much there. Getting that new grip for it makes me love the way it feels too. So comfortable (much much more than 3DS), but god damn it RELEASE THE GAMES!

Love(d)
SNES - Best. Console. Ever.
DS - Kind of not fair since I got in after it had a load of games. Lots of very inventive games. Kind of regret trading it in for a 3DS :p
PS2...with HDLoader - The games loaded blazingly fast (even faster than PS2 games on PS3). Huge line up of quality games.
Dreamcast - RIP sweet prince :(
PC - huge come back for me. Steam has saved gaming. It all started with games 'only' on Steam. Then L4D. Then TF2. Now? I got something like 150 PC games.

Magnus

The 3DS, but only in regards to 'when'. I just wish I waited for that crazy price drop. Those classics and ambassador status weren't the healing balm they were made out to be. I'd rather have $100 back.

To be honest, I don't regret buying any of them.

Sure, I haven't played much of my Wii in these last few years, but I still logged a shit ton of hours before that.

Top Bottom