• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

vall03

a US 360, wish I just waited a bit and got an Asian 360 instead because of import games. But in the end, most content are region-locked and ip-locked so I guess I'll stick with it.

Has anyone bought less than 15 games on a system and felt OK about it? I'd be pissed.

Let's see. I don't have 15 360 games, feel pretty good about that.
Didn't get 15 PS2 games, felt good.
Didn't get 15 GameCube games.
Got more than 15 Xbox games, most of the excess were forgettable.
Got more than 15 Nintendo 64 games, same.
Didn't come close to 15 Dreamcast games, because that's just impossible.
Etc.

Ramblin

Banned
While I didn't buy a 3D0, I did get one for Christmas. I regretted once I realized how many hours my dad had to work for that thing.

theBishop

Banned
Let's see. I don't have 15 360 games, feel pretty good about that.
Didn't get 15 PS2 games, felt good.
Didn't get 15 GameCube games.
Got more than 15 Xbox games, most of the excess were forgettable.
Got more than 15 Nintendo 64 games, same.
Didn't come close to 15 Dreamcast games, because that's just impossible.
Etc.

If I paid more than $200 for any of those consoles with under 15 games, i'd feel like I got ripped off. All though I think several of those consoles warranted more gametime than you got.

IrishNinja

Put me down for Dreamcast also.

oh, you got it, pal

ddBkM.jpg

PS3 is the only one I've regretted.

I bought it when I saw the first stuff for The Last Guardian, foolishly thinking it was an actual game and not vaporware or something.

The rest has been boring as hell, with a random gem here and there like the Souls games. The Uncharted games don't really do it for me because I like games that require a bit more skill and have some replayability.

The exclusives otherwise have been lacking, and the multiplat games are generally better on 360.

In the end there was really very little reason for me to get one, especially when I did. Normally I wait until there are 3 games on a system that I just HAVE TO PLAY before I get it, but I broke that rule this time. Never again.

KorrZ

3DS, I bought it in June for Zelda. Not only did I never play any other games after Zelda (first one I wanted was SM3DL) but it price dropped from $250 about 2 months after I bought it. Really, really regret that purchase.

Wii because I totally lost interest after Smash Bros. on the system, partially due to it looking bad on my HDTV (not really a graphics whore, but I want things to appear sharp and not upscaled). Luckily when I sold my system it was still worth quite a bit. The Wii was also the first '2nd console' I ever purchased in a single generation. The Wii-U will likely follow this precedent and I will purchase that as well next gen as my second console just to get some HD Nintendo goodness. :D

Piggus

3DS

Also, Xbox 360. I have a PS3 and a good PC, which doesn't leave much to be played on the 360 other than Halo and some XBLA games. MS really needs more exclusives.

Not really. My 360 hardly ever gets turned on (less than the wii tbh) but I'm about to re-purpose it as a streaming TV box for my gf.

XBox 360, though it's less regret and more feeling in retrospect I'd of gotten more out of the PS3's exclusives than Microsoft's, though in my defence I got a 360 before stuff like Uncharted and the newer Ratchet and Clank games started making the PS3 seem closer to my platformer/adventure sensibilities. Though since I have a close friend who has a PS3 it hasn't been too much hassle getting to play most of the stuff I'm missing out on, and I still get a chance to play unique stuff like Viva Pinata and a non-shit version of Bayonetta.

Haven't really 'regretted' buying any console, to be honest.

Even if a console is rather disappointing, like the Wii, there's always a few gems to play that justify the purchase. Regret implies that if I were to make the decision all over again, I wouldn't buy it. And that's really never been the case for me. I could not have done without some of Nintendo's excellent first party games.

Sure, I may have only used my Wii for a few hundred hours, if that, at most...but they sure were worth it.

Zee-Row

Banned
N64 after previous Nintendo 3rd exclusives jumped ship to Sony. I corrected this mistake by trading in my N64 for a PlayStation.

Xbox 360. Only got it for Dead Rising. I had other games, but didn't get the same enjoyment while playing DR.

Now I make it a priority to make a list of games I want to play for any console/handheld before buying it. Buying a console for 1 or even 2 games is a bad investment. Mine ended up being a paperweight collecting dust. Eventually ended up selling it.

Can't say I have really... PS2, GC, and PSP come the closest, GC is saved by the likes of some super excellent first party and niche titles, while the downsides came from months of nothing even slightly enjoyable coming out. PS2 was bogged down with a lot of crap, first party was nothing compared to PS1 and this generation, and I swore if I saw one more decent franchise go "dark and edgy" while mixing some GTA in I was going to shoot myself in the face... this is why I was a PC gamer last generation.

PSP... mostly for the fact it had a lot of the PS2 ports with not a lot of unique content and saved by the likes of having a portable Ape Escape (even if it is the PS1 version) and Kingdom Hearts BBS being the best in the series since the original.

linko9

Well I regret getting the 3ds at launch as opposed to later. But other than that, nothing. I don't even regret getting the Virtual Boy (well... I was a kid and didn't pay for it, but even if I had bought it).

AllenShrz

The 360, I play MP games on the PC and superior ports, and single player games on the PS3.

The 360 is not used at all.

And the Wii, what atrocious console, fucking waste of money. Never again Nintendo, never again.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
what the hell are you doing to your systems man
HEY! My PSTriple and 360 are fine. Never had a RROD or YLOD.

I did have to get a new PS2 less than a year after release...
And my Jpn DS lite had a broken hinge...

Maybe I just don't play my consoles enough to break them anymore.

DJIzana

PS3 is the only one I've regretted.

I bought it when I saw the first stuff for The Last Guardian, foolishly thinking it was an actual game and not vaporware or something.

The rest has been boring as hell, with a random gem here and there like the Souls games. The Uncharted games don't really do it for me because I like games that require a bit more skill and have some replayability.

The exclusives otherwise have been lacking, and the multiplat games are generally better on 360.

In the end there was really very little reason for me to get one, especially when I did. Normally I wait until there are 3 games on a system that I just HAVE TO PLAY before I get it, but I broke that rule this time. Never again.

I don't really regret buying my PS3 but I definitely regret buying it at launch. If I had known Square Enix wouldn't be so stupid with Versus XIII I would've saved a lot of money.

Marlowe89

I regret nothing!

The Wii came pretty close numerous times, but a healthy combination of Brawl, DKC Returns, Super Mario Galaxy, Virtual Console etc. and some of the later releases helped alleviate that. It sat there collecting dust for ages and just recently I've had it back in full throttle.

That said, it's still one of my least favorite consoles ever overall - right alongside the 360.

Parfait

360 and the Wii.

I haven't turned on my 360 since Bayonetta, and the Wii kind of sputtered a bit when i turned it on for Xenoblade.

And even before Bayonetta the game before that was Tales of Vesperia. Infact that's the game I got the 360 for, and is the only reason i haven't just sold it off yet. Which I really should, i could use the money.

IrishNinja

I like your handwriting.

Was there a handwriting game on Dreamcast? It probably would have been the most substantial game in its library if there was.

well, thank you! it's not often my penma...HEYWAITAMINUTE

name a system with a better typing game! THATS RIGHT, YOU CANT CAN YOU

The PSP. Barely used it.
What a waste of money for me.

I almost said Wii, but that's only because I barely touched it the last 2 years. I remember I played the shit out of it when I first got it, so I guess it was worth it.

MarkusRJR

Definitely the a tie between the 3DS and the PS3.

I already had a Wii and a 360 but I wanted to play Ico/Shadow of Colossus Collection and The Last Guardian. I beat the collection and enjoyed it but now there's nothing else I really want to play. I ended up buying Tales of Graces f and a few others but most of the multiplatform games I buy are for 360. I usually just end up using my PS3 for movies/media now.

For the 3DS I was so pumped to play more awesome Nintendo games. The Wii is my favorite console ever (local multiplayer is the only fun multiplayer) and I have more than 60 games for it. The problem is that my iPod Touch/phone/tablet have taken over my portable gaming. They're always with me because they don't just play games, and when I'm home I'd rather play games on my 48" HDTV than a small screen. The only time I ever use dedicated handhelds are when I vacation or when I lie in bed. Because of the hinge/3D screen I can't play comfortably in bed. I usually just end up using my Vita in that situation.

Bought Wii at the launch.

It was my only console at the time and it didn't satisfy my hunger for games. So I sold it two months later with a huge profit.

The Neo Geo handheld. I don't even remember the name of it at this point. Such a waste of money.

Are you kidding? The NGPC? Dude it still has the best control scheme of any hand held to date. Also, the games were fantastic on it.

I notice a lot of the old consoles being posted here i have now, sealed in box and the fact that they were considered "Crap" by many makes them valuable.

I dont regret any of my console purchases - including my VB's, CD-X, 32X, 3DO's, Dreamcasts, MSX, Ataris, Game Gears etc. Theyre all awesome even just to look at in the box now.

Vitual Boy, CD-i, Bandai Pippin, Nuon, Jaguar, Lynx, and 3DO. I bought them all for cheap second-hand and they still weren't worth it.

Apath

I don't think I've ever regretted a console purchase. Granted I've been disappointed by a system, but every one has offered me more hours of entertainment than if had I spent the money in another way.

I almost said Wii, but that's only because I barely touched it the last 2 years. I remember I played the shit out of it when I first got it, so I guess it was worth it.
I'm in the same exact boat. Though I do use it a lot to play N64 and SNES games, but I do have other systems capable of that too (such as my N64 and SNES).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wii. I've got a balance board gathering dust under the couch that will never get used again.

You can pick up a second hand Wii unboxed for £30 theses days. Almost worthless.

None, I don't think I've ever been disappointed in a system. They all have their own exclusives that make them worth owning. That being said, I haven't fallen for the trap that others have in the past either (Saturn, 32X, etc).

I bought a Dreamcast at launch and loved every minute of it.

theBishop

Banned
Wii. I've got a balance board gathering dust under the couch that will never get used again.

You can pick up a second hand Wii unboxed for £30 theses days. Almost worthless.

The lack of 3rd party support would be bad enough, but even Nintendo has dramatically slowed down their publishing.

Top Bottom