• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artist spotlighted by NYT and Vice is plagairizing anime and manga

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/fashion/jeanette-hayes-the-internet-rendered-in-oil.html
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/7xbpgx/jeanette-hayess-future-is-as-bright-as-her-aura

tumblr_inline_owldrpicU81ql9em5_540.png

This was at an art gallery

Here is the original by

tumblr_inline_owm1xqaSEP1ql9em5_540.png

She also does one of the cringiest things I've seen in the art world. Taking pokemon and sailor moon and putting them in old paintings....

Madness

Wait a minute, you're telling me someone who is white has taken something done by a person of colour and passed it off as their own? I'd never have believed it. Has this ever happened before.

Also that gallery response is utter bullshit. Appropriation in artwork doesn't mean you copy something exactly the same and pass off as your ow original. Be right back, going to trace the Mona Lisa and just say it's mine.

Futureman

The gallery responded with "appropriation has always been a part of art"?

She straight up traced someone else's work wtf?

Futureman

so for that bird painting she didn't even do a shitty trace job? just stole the image from another artist?

Please tell me she's getting kick out of that gallery.

Madness

Jeanette Hayes has accomplished something harder than it sounds: she's redirected attention away from her status as a "web goddess" to her inimitable talent as an artist, without cutting out any of the fun stuff.

Those writeups by Vice are cringeworthy but I am not surprised. In their rush to praise another pretty blonde, they overlook her art thievery. Her twitter profile is now private as she will try and hope this blows over. I wonder if NY Times or Vice ever gave Shintaro Kago this kind of exposure.

Oberon

Banned
Copying art for educational reasons is fine.
Trying to pass it off as your own is not

Who is this person anyway? Her skill doesn't seem to match her fame.

"You have a lot of ideas and you're a very creative person," the lady told Hayes,

She sure is.

She didn't actually add the dog individually, the piece is part of a bigger collage.

This fuller context changes the connotation considerably. I mean, I think that looks awful, but it’s clearly a pop-culture mash-up that’s in line with a lot of other modern art I’ve seen rather than simple forgery/plagiarism.

El Odio

Banned
Man, this is like the second time I've seen her get called out for art theft on twitter this year, with the same example nonetheless. Like every single one of "her pieces" I've seen are just tracings or copy paste jobs of usually Japanese pieces only slightly rotated or something. It's absolutely insane that she's still able to proclaim herself as an artist.

Breads

Banned
so for that bird painting she didn't even do a shitty trace job? just stole the image from another artist?

Please tell me she's getting kick out of that gallery.

No.

This is what the fine art industry is.

Artificially inflating the price of a small handful of propped up hacks so that people can circulate art donations with an ever increasing and arbitrarily set value to act as an investments/ write-offs.

Galleries are the ones instigating this. Not the artists themselves.

Lulubop

I remember Nick Simmions getting exposed for tracing over Bleach in his comic, shoutouts to gamefaqs for that one.

Futureman

No.

This is what the fine art industry is.

Artificially inflating the price of a small handful of propped up hacks so that people can circulate art donations with an ever increasing and arbitrarily set value to act as an investments/ write-offs.

Galleries are the ones instigating this. Not the artists themselves.

Damn.

Well at least I discovered Dina Brodsky from this thread.

ZOONAMI

I bet every part of that entire collage is stolen, but that’s actually kind of what a collage is. She should be sourcing the original artists though and it wouldn’t be a big deal. This and the bird thing are straight up inexcusable. She’s probably pretty much fucked as an artist for quite a while unless she moves somewhere else and changes her name.

HotHamBoy

I don't think she traced it, I think she copied it free hand because her version of the image in the OP looks like total shit.

Why is she even getting praised and views? Even w/o the theft her work is technically subpar.

She didn't actually add the dog individually, the piece is part of a bigger collage.

Maybe NSFW?

Seeing the full piece makes me side with the artist here, and kinda annoyed at the disingenuous representation of what she actually did. You can argue that this style of art, taking the work of other artists and recontextualizing them, is not worthy of praise, but it's kinda established to be a valid form by the greater art community. How is this different than what Warhol often did, for example?

If it was just a tracing that she tried to pass off as her own unique work, which is what the implication is by cropping the work to only show the manga portion, then yeah, grab the pitchforks. But that's not what happened here.

The gallery's response, though, is stupid AF.

Fj0823

Maybe NSFW?

That makes way more sense.

She's combining different artworks into a collage of sorts

That's definitely more artsy than what the tweets make it look like (blatant tracing)

That said,maybe she should credit the original artists? Or be direct and say that her consists on clashing other art together?

Fuchsdh

I bet every part of that entire collage is stolen, but that's actually kind of what a collage is. She should be sourcing the original artists though and it wouldn't be a big deal. This and the bird thing are straight up inexcusable. She's probably pretty much fucked as an artist for quite a while unless she moves somewhere else and changes her name.

She was probably fucked anyhow. Especially in New York, the chances of you getting anywhere with your career a year or two after your first solo show and all the plaudits and writeups is pretty infinitesimal. There's always a bunch of new artists lining up behind you.

I love the dog, adds a whole lot to the composition. :p

Inspired by the best you could say:
Why Even the Greatest Artists Copied - Adam Ruins Everything

Except even there there's a big difference between copying public domain works and honing your craft by copying old masters (that's how a lot of art schools tend to teach fundamentals) and taking copyrighted work with no accreditation and passing it off as wholly original.

Seeing the full piece makes me side with the artist here, and kinda annoyed at the disingenuous representation of what she actually did. You can argue that this style of art, taking the work of other artists and recontextualizing them, is not worthy of praise, but it's kinda established to be a valid form by the greater art community. How is this different than what Warhol often did, for example?

If it was just a tracing that she tried to pass off as her own unique work, which is what the implication is by cropping the work to only show the manga portion, then yeah, grab the pitchforks. But that's not what happened here.

The gallery's response, though, is stupid AF.

Well, Warhol was an ass that helped kick off this whole postmodern art bullshit, so the comparison does her no favors.

Did anyone even bother to read the NY Times article?

Her craft and statement are unbelievably shitty that you'd expect someone to grow out of after their first year at Pratt, but there's a huge context for the use of readymade imagery in gallery work.

soup_can.jpg

T07573_9.jpg

T00897_10.jpg

Easy argument to make that Lichtenstein is also a complete hack

Tweets without context are fun to be outraged over, but it's less about being a thief and more about being shitty.

Maybe NSFW?

I think this somewhat exonerates her, unless you're also mad at Warhol for ripping off Campbell's. But what even is this? Tracing a bunch of random works and throwing them all together? I don't know much about art, but this just strikes me as shit. It offers no commentary, it's just "hey, here's Bart Simpson and Gundam and the Wikipedia logo. ART!"

Top Bottom