• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Thai

Bane was better.
linkboy said:
I know with Sleeping Beauty, they went back to the original animation cells (watched the extras).

Disney has actually done a fantastic job with their classic movies. They all look fantastic.

Here's an example

That's a 50 year old movie and it looks fantastic (that picture is @ 720p, it looks even better in 1080p).

fantastic, you say?

FOOTE

I have all of the classics listed in the OP, and waiting on Alice in the mail(on it's way already) and have Bambi pre-ordered. Once Lion King's pre-order is up, I take care of that.

I have Dumbo from Mexico as well, and I'm really glad I decided to import it because there hasn't been any indication that I am aware of that it will be released here anytime soon.

I also buy the other Disney movies that I personally consider must-haves for Disney fans, like James and the Giant Peach and Nightmare Before Christmas (Bug's Life and others count too).

Basically, I'm a Disney movie animation nerd. I can't wait for The Incredibles in April.

The next Diamond editions I am hoping for are Cinderella, and The Little Mermaid(or Jungle Book) in 2012, and possibly a 30 year anniversary edition of Robin Hood(it would be a year early) and a 10 year anniversary edition of Aladdin, and possibly throw in Nemo. That, IMO, would make for a great 2012 for Disney catalog releases. 2011 is going to be pretty good itself.

Desperado

Marty Chinn said:
It's so they create unique codes that you can't save to a PDF. It's worth the hassle.
What's the program? My only access to a printer is at the school library, will I have trouble?

Le-mo

Good thing I own all of them except for Fantasia. I have Bambi on pre-order. I'm still deciding if I want Alice in Wonderland now or later.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sleeping Beauty was just amazing to watch in HD.

For every release I've seen thus far, Disney has put considerable effort to make them worthy of the new HD format.

Christopher

Le-mo said:
Good thing I own all of them except for Fantasia. I have Bambi on pre-order. I'm still deciding if I want Alice in Wonderland now or later.

dude Alice will only be 10 bucks. It's 19.99 at best buy if you print out disney's coupon (which is only good for the first week) it's only 9.99 get on that brothaaa

Christopher said:
Snow White, Pinnochio are being vaulted this year actually at the end of this month so snatch em up
Do you know where to find info on when they get vaulted?

It's always easy to find news on new releases, but Disney is so sneaky about putting them back in the vault.

Le-mo

Christopher said:
dude Alice will only be 10 bucks. It's 19.99 at best buy if you print out disney's coupon (which is only good for the first week) it's only 9.99 get on that brothaaa
I don't know if I'll be able to stop by Bestbuy this week, but I'll give it a shot. Printing the coupon now. Does the coupon work anywhere else besides Bestbuy?

Guzim

Le-mo said:
I don't know if I'll be able to stop by Bestbuy this week, but I'll give it a shot. Printing the coupon now. Does the coupon work anywhere else besides Bestbuy?
Target accepts the coupon.

Walmart also excepts manufacturer coupons. Pretty much everyone accepts it but bestbuy is on sale for $20, I think walmart is $23, and I dunno what target is. (before coupon obviously)

NoRéN

Le-mo said:
You can try Target but their weekly ad has the movie for 22.99. Hopefully Walmart has the movie on sale for 19.96 as they've done in the past. That will be another alternative.

Le-mo said:
Pretty much all of the brick and mortars should accept the coupons.

It won't work on Amazon, but some of the people on the DVDTalk forum have said Amazon will give you $10 off a future purchase if you contact customer support about the Alice coupon.

ghostmind

Disney (and Pixar) movies are the only blurays that I am consistently picking up. Never got onboard fast enough during the DVD releases. Just preordered "Alice" and "Bambi".

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Walmart also excepts manufacturer coupons. Pretty much everyone accepts it but bestbuy is on sale for $20, I think walmart is $23, and I dunno what target is. (before coupon obviously)

All 3 stores have price matching policies, so you might be able to get away with pricematching Best Buy's ad and using the coupon at the same time in Target/Walmart. Though stores are usually iffy about that

NoRéN

Wario64 said:
All 3 stores have price matching policies, so you might be able to get away with pricematching Best Buy's ad and using the coupon at the same time in Target/Walmart. Though stores are usually iffy about that
From what I remember, you have to buy the movie, then go to Customer Service and ask for the pricematch(they refund the difference). Most of the time, they require a physical copy of the ad and it also depends on the person helping you.

Ya, for like $2 or $3 it's usually not worth the hassle imo. Especially since they usually want the physical ad and I don't have those. I've had problems before on easier price matches with no coupon and had problems so I usually try not to unless I have to.

Been picking all of these up as they have come out. They all look amazing in HD, Sleeping Beauty especially.

I remember when HD was just coming out and some people were saying how animated movies wouldn't really benefit from HD that much, boy were they wrong.

linkboy

FOOTE said:
I have Dumbo from Mexico as well, and I'm really glad I decided to import it because there hasn't been any indication that I am aware of that it will be released here anytime soon.

How is the quality on the Dumbo Blu-Ray. Can't believe its out in Mexico. I'm really considering picking it up when I get paid on Tuesday.

I'm picking all of these up right when they come out for three reasons

A) My 6 week old son will get to grow up with (at this point in time) the best versions of these classic films.

B) My 14yr step daughter might be moving in with us (long story, ex has custody and he's a major fucktard, first court case is tomorrow).

C) I love the old Disney films.

My body is ready

G19KI.jpg

I know it's not Disney, but all this stuff makes me want to see a Blu-Ray release for Balto. That's just a dream now though. =(

Le-mo

Ah, good to hear a lot of retailers are accepting the coupon. Has Disney said anything about releasing Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and etc...

icarus-daedelus said:
Speaking of, has Disney announced the release schedule of the rest of their backlog or is it just going to be a slow drip after Alice, Bambi and The Lion King?
This is the anticipated release order for the Diamond Editions. You'll notice that a couple of them have already been released on Blu-ray, but this is specifically for the Diamond Editions, so they'll likely be getting a Blu-ray re-release at some point in the future.

The Lion King (October 4, 2011)
Lady and the Tramp
Cinderella
Peter Pan
The Little Mermaid
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Jungle Book
Pinocchio
Sleeping Beauty

Anth0ny

BertramCooper said:
This is the anticipated release order for the Diamond Editions. You'll notice that a couple of them have already been released on Blu-ray, but this is specifically for the Diamond Editions, so they'll likely be getting a Blu-ray re-release at some point in the future.

The Lion King (October 4, 2011)
Lady and the Tramp
Cinderella
Peter Pan
The Little Mermaid
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Jungle Book
Pinocchio
Sleeping Beauty

Where's mah Aladdin =(

Anth0ny said:
Where's mah Aladdin =(
To clarify, just because it's not on that list doesn't mean it's not going to get a Blu-ray in the near future.

That list is specifically for the "Diamond Edition" releases, and not all of their Blu-ray releases have been Diamond Editions. Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Fantasia and even Alice aren't classified as Diamond Editions.

Le-mo

BertramCooper said:
To clarify, just because it's not on that list doesn't mean it's not going to get a Blu-ray in the near future.

That list is specifically for the "Diamond Edition" releases, and not all of their Blu-ray releases have been Diamond Editions. Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Fantasia and even Alice aren't classified as Diamond Editions.
What's in the Diamond Editions?

Le-mo said:
What's in the Diamond Editions?
Honestly, it just seems to be a marketing thing. It's what Disney considers to be the "best of the best."

Here are a couple of blurbs from the news release when they announced the Diamond Editions in 2009.

Disney said:
Diamond Collection is the definitive collection of the Walt Disney Studios most historic and beloved animated classics that will debut on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def.

Disney said:
“Walt Disney’s gift of telling captivating and engaging stories was matched only by his passion for presenting them in the most spectacular way,” commented The Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook. “We are proud to continue his pursuit of excellence with ‘The Diamond Collection,’ which brings the films that are the foundation of our Company to audiences of all ages across the globe.”

Le-mo

Anth0ny said:
Where's mah Aladdin =(
According to Wikipedia Aladdin was replaced by Fantasia for Disney Vault.

BertTramCooper said:
Honestly, it just seems to be a marketing thing. It's what Disney considers to be the "best of the best."
Ah, I see. No need to re-buy them then.

Dead

well not really...yet
Still need to buy Sleeping Beauty.

I guess I ve just gotten complacent since my favorite all time Disney flick is already out on blu (B&B). Such a gorgeous presentation on blu.

shwimpy

I wonder if any of the lesser tier Disney animated films coming out on blu-ray... Hercules, Mulan, and/or Hunchback would be fantastic on blu-ray.

shwimpy said:
I wonder if any of the lesser tier Disney animated films coming out on blu-ray... Hercules, Mulan, and/or Hunchback would be fantastic on blu-ray.
I'm sure they will, but they might not be quite as tricked out as the Diamond Editions.

shwimpy said:

I would totally buy Emperor's New Groove if it came out. I had it on DVD but it has gone missing :( I must have loaned it to someone years ago.

Anth0ny

BertramCooper said:

So these mother fuckers are saying Aladdin isn't one of the best of the best?!? It's the best of the best. I gave that VHS a beating.

BertramCooper said:

I recall that Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio were part of the Platinum Collection still. That is why they are going to rerelease them again as the final couple of releases of the Diamond Collection in 2 or 3 years.

Anth0ny said:
So these mother fuckers are saying Aladdin isn't one of the best of the best?!? It's the best of the best. I gave that VHS a beating.
I love everything about Aladdin - except for Robin Williams.

Not a fan of Genie. Not at all.

Leshita said:
I recall that Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio were part of the Platinum Collection still. That is why they are going to rerelease them again as the final couple of releases of the Diamond Collection in 2 or 3 years.
Pretty much. The Platinum Editions were predominantly DVDs, but since the Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio Platinum Editions were released after Blu-ray hit the scene, they couldn't possibly not release them on Blu-ray as well.

They need to release more. I want to rejoin the Disney Blu-Ray club but I already have most of what is available that is interesting. (Animation & Pixar . . . no thanks to Jonas brothers and bad live action movies.)

Thanks for the reminder OP, I lallygagged when Fantasia (my favorite classic Disney film) came out on DVD and never got it while I could (I think I was unemployed at the time). Ended up paying 90 bucks for a good copy (kinda regret it now with this more definitive version coming out). Gotta make sure I don't do that again.

I'll probably get Sleeping Beauty too if the quality is as beautiful as people say.

I know it's not Disney, but all this stuff makes me want to see a Blu-Ray release for Balto. That's just a dream now though. =(

Count me in! Balto is a sorely underrated film. Kinda campy even by "Disney" standards, but a beautiful film.

Can't wait for the likes of Aladdin, Hunchback, and Mulan coming to Blu-Ray. Those films oughta look GORGEOUS!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't justify the money to upgrade, so I've just been buying the ones I don't already have on DVD. What sorta sucks is all the ones they have coming I already have, but there are other Disney movies I'd like to own but at this point I'll wait for Blu-ray, but who knows when they're coming. I wouldn't mind having Winnie the Pooh, Atlantis and Lilo & Stitch.

I do need to still get The Princess and the Frog.

Bii

I just placed an order for Sleeping Beauty from Amazon. I didn't want to miss my chance of owning this before Disney doesn't print it any more.

Dan said:
I can't justify the money to upgrade, so I've just been buying the ones I don't already have on DVD. What sorta sucks is all the ones they have coming I already have, but there are other Disney movies I'd like to own but at this point I'll wait for Blu-ray, but who knows when they're coming. I wouldn't mind having Winnie the Pooh, Atlantis and Lilo & Stitch.

I do need to still get The Princess and the Frog.

I'm actually glad that I did not go all out in collecting during the DVD days (only Disney film I ever purchased was The Lion King, and Disney Pixar's being Finding Nemo). I am going all out with Blu-ray though, and have purchased every Disney Steelbook/Ironpack Blu-ray release so far, I think I will be satisfied with the quality until the day I upgrade to an 70" display... hopefully. Part of me is wishing that Blu-rays stay as the final physical medium for film and the future being all digital so I won't have as much an urge to repurchase all my movies again. :p

Top Bottom