• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

Bungie

People thought it was too good to be true but you didn't understand how much of a money maker it really was.

Here's just one reason why.

DLC (example) Let's say I have Borderlands 2, I share my library with a friend, we play through the entire game & a DLC is released, we both will have to buy it if we want it. Which equals money.

Feeding off each other library was key & now we're back doing what we been doing for the past 8 years on Xbox 360.

von zipp

I thought one of the MS pr guys said everyone in your family circle needed to have XBL Gold to take advantage of the game sharing. I might be mistaken.
I was under the impression that there is only a requirement of 1 XBLive Gold account per Console. Every profile on that console then had full Gold access, including family share.

Applecot

Publishers would've killed that feature pretty quickly anyway. Just look at what happened to the PSN share feature that ended up being reduced because publishers were getting upset about people being able to buy one copy of a game and then spread it out to multiple people for free.

I think Microsoft's rendition was a little different. It would have equated to about 1 extra license of any particular game.

The funny thing is that the family plan wouldn't have had anything to do with MS.

It was all about the publishers. MS loses nothing by giving away someone else's games. They may as well promise "buy our system and Capcom will buy you a pony." Anyone can make false promises that someone else would need to fulfill.

Capcom will give you a pony when Capcom decides to give you a pony. MS making empty promises meant nothing.

CLEEK

This feels like "oh, you don't want forced online checks and drm?.. fine! then you also can't have this awesome family plan feature" *sticks out tongue*

I'm sure the family plan and the one-time digital trading was agreed with the big publishers as a trade off against the used game reselling.

If EA/Ubi etc were pissed about a disc game being re-sold a bunch of times without them seeing a cut, they'd hardly be happy for one game effectively being given for free to 9 other people.

Yeah that feature that they said wouldn't be available at launch and couldn't actually answer straight questions about is gone. But I'm sure It WOULD have been the greatest thing ever. Because MS is totally known for being really consumer friendly! I mean, I can share my copy of Office with anyone.....oh wait, i cant.

Tripolygon

Banned
This feels like "oh, you don't want forced online checks and drm?.. fine! then you also can't have this awesome family plan feature" *sticks out tongue*

Exactly

This feature could still be implemented and i'll tell you how.

1. When you Get PS+ and download a free game, the game has a time lot attached to it and after that time expires you have to connect to the internet to reactivate it. In this same vein when you Share a game to someone online, there would be a 1 hr time lot attached to it. Said person has to check in hourly to continue playing that game or heck make it so you need internet to play that shared game while everything else stays the same.

2. Also similar to PS+ full game demo time limit.

It didn't have to be either or.

I've said it and i'll say it again, online DRM and family sharing were/are not mutually exclusive because there is no reason why they still couldn't do it for people who want to go all digital and use it as an incentive to make people go digital while still giving people the optical option.

This was the carrot, the DRM was the stick. Still, they could have left it in and got rid of the DRM, removing it is just an attempt to make the original plan look less evil.

slit

Thanks a lot angry mob.
You wanted to live in the stone age, now we are all live in it for nobody knows how long.

I love how we've gone from. "MS doesn't care what any of you think. They know what they're doing."

to

"Now look what you've done you big meanies."

Satchel

Banned
yeah, so glad you guys turned out to be the real minority voice here

no no, we would have been the silent majority.

Now Xbox One will really bomb. Before, the One had an advantage over the PS4. Now it has nothing over it.

I'd say it has games, but that's too subjective.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think MSFT should at least put in a 2 way share system like PSN has. That's at least something. If they were willing to put in this plan then I see no reason why it can't be revised to something like PSN sharing.

This was the carrot, the DRM was the stick. Still, they could have left it in and got rid of the DRM, removing it is just an attempt to make the original plan look less evil.

it was the distant promise of something that might resemble a carrot one day. that isn't the same as a carrot.

IrishNinja

no no, we would have been the silent majority.

Now Xbox One will really bomb. Before, the One had an advantage over the PS4. Now it has nothing over it.

I'd say it has games, but that's too subjective.

if the "majority" didn't want to own their games, why is gamestop such an evil giant?

there's a deep problem with this narrative, and it might be why the multi-billion dollar company decided to walk this mess back.

Thanks a lot angry mob.
You wanted to live in the stone age, now we are all live in it for nobody knows how long.

you're so welcome! when MS or anyone else wants to do the digital future right (see: steam), we'll happily drag you kicking & screaming in that direction as well

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think MSFT should at least put in a 2 way share system like PSN has. That's at least something. If they were willing to put in this plan then I see no reason why it can't be revised to something like PSN sharing.

With day 1 digital for retail titles standard doubt the PSN sharing will work on the PS4.

it was the distant promise of something that might resemble a carrot one day. that isn't the same as a carrot.

I was just suggesting that the whole notion of this sharing policy came as a result of them realising they needed to take the sting out of the DRM policy rather than some kind for altruism. But now we are all live in stone age, so what do I know.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Did Microsoft even clarify exactly how this plan was supposed to work?

No they had a different answer basically every single day. Hence the monster thread on it because no one had a clue. One day it was this next day it was that. Best case it would of been first party titles and smaller XBLA games they could pay off to share. No retail publisher was ever going to go for this.

cicero

Didn't bother me in the slightest. Family sharing and disc less installs were worth the hassle of DRM for me.

It's not like others options exists, Sony and Nintendo have traditional disc options for folks like yourselves who wanted to continue to have the flexibility or reselling anywhere.

Regarding personal desires, that's how capitalism works!

I know it doesn't bother you, that is obvious. Thankfully a large portion of the visible gaming public doesn't agree with your sentiments. Your apathetic or noncaring ilk is why draconian DRM schemes continue to be foisted on the rest of us. Wrap anything in a shiny enough wrapper and there is always someone who will go for it.

Wallach

I was just suggesting that the whole notion of this sharing policy came as a result of them realising they needed to take the sting out of the DRM policy rather than some kind for altruism. But now we are all live in stone age, so what do I know.

Wallach sad, Microsoft take our blip-bloop gives. *throws stick*

beastworship

Neo Member
i'll take having a tangible asset that i can acquire currency for and be able to play without being logged into microsofts nsa server 24/7 over a pie in the sky possibility. since when has playing video games become so social, local multi-player is long dead, your mother has been called every name in the book and you've probably been armchair diagnosed with multiple incurable diseases, most multiplayer games are unhealthy for people of advanced ages thanks to kids with controller skills mopping the floor with long time computer users. it's to the point we're sitting alone talking into a wire and now we're being forced into communicating with a camera, the most anti-social thing i can think of, speaking out loud with no other human present should do well to promote the idea of the awkward gamer talking himself gradually into a state of the average homeless crazy.

that being said, had m$ made keyboard and mouse support native and with any 3rd party brand, i'd have accepted all their restrictions.

the future as you describe it, already exists on other platforms. since lots of people don't like that version of the future, and they have lots of money to spend too, why should every platform ignore those people? if those people greatly outnumber the number of people who want to see another platform move nearer to a digital only future, why shouldn't MS continue to cater to people in the stone age?

it's all just about money in the end.

Wallach sad, Microsoft take our blip-bloop gives. *throws stick*

jim-jam knock over stone tablet stand today in disgust then storm out of painting cave

the future as you describe it, already exists on other platforms. since lots of people don't like that version of the future, and they have lots of money to spend too, why should every platform ignore those people? if those people greatly outnumber the number of people who want to see another platform move nearer to a digital only future, why shouldn't MS continue to cater to people in the stone age?

it's all just about money in the end.

jim-jam not understand why fluffy kitty arguing with him when he agree with kitty but enjoy making funny talking words

Minions

Great, dunno what to get now.

Get the cheaper one which has confirmed they won't be changing policies... rather than the one that refuses to confirm.
CEE CEO Jim Ryan said:
I mean who knows, some force majeure situation comes up years down the road – nothing’s forever necessarily – but these are our policies and we intend to stick by them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=64580226

vs

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-drm-policy-changes-waited-on-gamers-knowing-complete-story/

Gonna echo the other people who say to keep this feature for digital games only. It would create a strong incentive to buy digital without having to lower digital game prices, thereby getting rid of the problem of used games without alienating the consumer. It'd generate some much needed goodwill and be a feature MS could use over Sony. It doesn't make sense that they'd get rid of this feature completely just to be vindictive.

The people they changed everything for either weren't buying one anyway or they still arent buying one after this announcement. I hope they put this stuff back in later in the generation.

The stone age where you still have ownership of the things you buy and your consumer rights stay intact? You're welcome.

We weren't going to get the 10 person sharing plan and the ability to have permanent offline/used/trade games.

I'm not even sure we where going to get 10 person sharing plan lol.

I am sure xbox buyers are missing quite a few features now anyway.

It was going to be the greatest thing ever. But we ruined it. Microsoft's only mistake was that they cared too much in a cynical age.

Lol

The idea that people have where Microsoft would actually let you just split the cost of a game between ten people and you all have complete access is ludicrous. There's also no reason that they couldn't just implement this now with your digital library on the Xbone. Supposedly all titles will be available in digital form as well, so there's no reason why you have to get up and change discs either. Some of the excuses being made here are ridiculous. It very much looks like Microsoft implemented Family Sharing after the negative backlash after its reveal. That explains why none of their PR could explain just how it worked. They had bad DRM, and that's gone now, we should be happy.

IrishNinja

Learn about it, before telling something, will ya.
In steam you need internet connection to go offline, and not simple ping check, but good speed for downloading all the mandatory updates.

ive used steam for years & am well aware of this? again, consumers have shown that as an acceptable compromise, but let's not get into the inane argument of comparing a storefront with a closed console system; for reasons that should be obvious they're quite different, and again consumer response alone should show you why.

Sean*O

No they had a different answer basically every single day. Hence the monster thread on it because no one had a clue. One day it was this next day it was that. Best case it would of been first party titles and smaller XBLA games they could pay off to share. No retail publisher was ever going to go for this.

Then how and why are anyone upset about this?

They also called it the "Family Share Plan" not the "Friends Share Plan" which should have given pause. You can already share a game with an unlimited number of people "in your household". I don't think they ever intended this to be able to share a game (freely) beyond the walls of your own account, and have said so since the start.

I think this would have turned out to be like, you can create a special "Family Account" and link that to your primary user account, and any other accounts that happen to share the same IP address. If any user accounts tried to join a Family Account that weren't on the same IP address, they would be blocked I'm guessing. Probably only useful for people with more than 1 Xbone in the house who want to share a single game.

Just guessing of course.

hoos30

RByR9Mx.jpg

"Mi Familia"

This is exactly how I feel right now :-(

Top Bottom