• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

This thread is making me so hype. Making me want to bust out Rondo again and kick thee ass with our Hero, Richter.

cy6wyy5.gif

Grown ass man.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
LoI has a better plot and better characters, while the gameplay and world of LoS are far, far superior. While the plot isn't as interesting, I think the actual storytelling is done better. If you took the world of Lament of Innocence and Lords of Shadowfied it it might be one of the best games ever made.

Ahasverus

^That would be LoS2, hopefully.
What do you guys think about the semi rumor of an HD collection of Mirror of Fate + CLOS complete coming to consoles this october? it was listed on a german page.

I was wondering when some one would make a Castlevania community thread since almost everything else has one. Well, looks like I found a new home :D

zainetor

Banned
LoI has a better plot and better characters, while the gameplay and world of LoS are far, far superior. While the plot isn't as interesting, I think the actual storytelling is done better. If you took the world of Lament of Innocence and Lords of Shadowfied it it might be one of the best games ever made.

well, you dont see LOi world, since its played in the castle.
What i saw in curse of darkness was nice, but the graphics sucked ass.
I would like another 3d igavania like those.

Ahasverus

well, you dont see LOi world, since its played in the castle.
What i saw in curse of darkness was nice, but the graphics sucked ass.
I would like another 3d igavania like those.

Man, don't summon the devil. 3D+Iga= black hole of lameness.
IGA + Castlevania=Black hole of copying Toru hagihara without any of this talent

Kaldea

I want another Order of Ecclesia. :(
Or at least more female protagonists.

And I will never not love the art direction and music of these games. So good.

I can't believe I've played like 80% of this entire franchise and the first Castlevania I played was Rondo of Blood, I feel old. As I've already said in the other thread my top 3 are Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon and Order of Ecclesia. A few less than stellar titles for my taste but overall a fine franchise.

TentPole

First videogame I ever played was Castlevania 1 for the NES at some kids house. Played the game for over an hour that day and never made it pass the Merman room in the first level. Ever since Castlevania has been my favorite series by far.

Edit: Fantastic OP but Bloodlines deserves better. It is the secret underrated gem of the series.

Arkanius

I really hope they don't mess the premise of Castlevania in LoS2.
Being Dracula is doing a 180 on what Castlevania bases itself on (plotwise). I still have high hopes for the game, it looks awesome, LoS1 was fantastic for me. LoS2 looks even more Metroidvania then the predecessor.

Kokonoe

Banned
You guys are hyping me to play Rondo of Blood. I guess I'll halt my SOTN playthrough and try that out finally.

Does gaf still have a group that plays Harmony of Despair?

I'd certainly play with you, regardless that I have everything completed in it as the game never gets old for me, but unfortunately, I don't own a 360 atm. I have a PS3, however, I use it for Linux, and I'm sure they would ban me if I went to purchase the game.

I'll keep you in the know if any of this changes as I love playing Harmony of Despair online.

You guys are hyping me to play Rondo of Blood. I guess I'll halt my SOTN playthrough and try that out finally.

I'd certainly play with you, regardless that I have everything completed in it as the game never gets old for me, but unfortunately, I don't own a 360 atm. I have a PS3, however, I use it for Linux, and I'm sure they would ban me if I went to purchase the game.

I'll keep you in the know if any of this changes as I love playing Harmony of Despair online.

I play it on PS3 myself now, so yeah, no worries.

Oops, somehow missed that first part of your message.

Yeah dude, Rondo is amazing. I'm so glad I played it first to completion before starting SOTN. It's a great prelude with hidden sections and whole stages through these secrets.

I felt pretty damn good after beating it as well, game is hard as hell.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Ooh a community thread.

I think one of my favourites would be Circle of the Moon, some people seem to be pretty iffy on it, but I spent so many hours playing through its alternate modes. First game I got for my GBA and was probably the one I spent the most time on replaying over the years.

So seeing as LoS2 is supposedly the end of that series, I really hope we get a proper sequel to OOE, was such a great game, I enjoyed it more than any of the previous DS games. Would be a shame to leave Shanoa and the games mechanics forever as just one title, I also thought the art style was so much better than the previous more anime like games.

Kokonoe

Banned
You guys didn't see An Empty Tome, so I'll forgive you, but you gotta check out Harmony of Despair's Aquarius.

Castlevania: HD OST - Aquarius

Relevant as hell.
I never played Harmony of Despair.

Even if you never do, it's certainly worth it to check out it's OST. It's gdlk.
Oops, somehow missed that first part of your message.

Yeah dude, Rondo is amazing. I'm so glad I played it first to completion before starting SOTN. It's a great prelude with hidden sections and whole stages through these secrets.

I felt pretty damn good after beating it as well, game is hard as hell.

Lovely. Should I get it on the Virtual Console or PSP?

You guys didn't see An Empty Tome, so I'll forgive you, but you gotta check out Harmony of Despair's Aquarius.

Castlevania: HD OST - Aquarius

Even if you never do, it's certainly worth it to check out it's OST. It's gdlk.

Lovely. Should I get it on the Virtual Console or PSP?

I played it on Wii with my Classic Controller Pro and it was a blast. Do this if you want to enjoy it in beautiful full screen.

Dracula X Chronicles on PSP is nice, but I don't care for the version of SOTN on it as it's redubbed and translated. It has a 2.5D remake of Rondo which is pretty cool, but I much prefer the original (which unlocks after beating the others)

So it's up to you. I'd edge towards the Wii version if you have Classic Controller.

I was always disappointed that they never made another game like Super Castlevania 4. It may not have been as challenging as its predecessors, but it had really compelling mechanics with the multi-functional whip. People praise Rondo, which I believe stems from elitism--an opportunity to brag to The Internet about having played a rare, exclusively Japanese game on a platform nobody owned--but I see it as a regression of game mechanics starring an anime Ryu.

i'll say it right here and now: I prefere LOI over LOS.

Me too. By a country mile.

And great thread! Very well done OP. My favorite franchise, and a gigantic part of my childhood. I played the mortal shit out of Simons Quest. Indeed, it was actually the first Castlevania game I ever played, and the 3rd NES game I played. Instantly fell in love with the series. Funnily enough, I rented the first Castlevania after beating Simons Quest (sans a guide!) and was like WTF!? when I saw the game was level based and not free-roaming like SQ was, lol.

I was always disappointed that they never made another game like Super Castlevania 4. It may not have been as challenging as its predecessors, but it had really compelling mechanics with the multi-functional whip. People praise Rondo, which I believe stems from elitism--an opportunity to brag to The Internet about having played a rare, exclusively Japanese game on a platform nobody owned--but I see it as a regression of game mechanics starring an anime Ryu.

I haven't played Rondo, but it seems to me like people like it more because it has challenge more in line with the NES games.

Can't stand LOI's highly repetitive environmental design. Copy paste copy paste copy paste. It's an absolute chore and replays are a no-go.

In no way is LOS worse than that shit.

Me too. By a country mile.

I don't prefer Lament to Lords, but I still liked it quite a bit and some of the music was super dope. Leon Belmont is also one of my favorite protagonist designs from Ayami Kojima, although a distant second to her SotN Alucard.

Can't stand LOI's highly repetitive environmental design. Copy paste copy paste copy paste. It's an absolute chore and replays are a no-go.

If you thought it was bad in Lament, then you should definitely steer clear of Curse of Darkness!

If you thought it was bad in Lament, then you should definitely steer clear of Curse of Darkness!

I got to the last boss in COD, and it was possibly the worst last boss fight I've ever played.

But yeah both PS2 Castlevania games were absolute dogshit IMO. The music was fantastic and there wasn't much wrong with the combat system but the level design and repetitive environments and platforming were abhorrent at best.

LOS wasn't perfect and far from polished, but I liked the combat system and environments a lot more. It also had great music, just in its own style and atmosphere.

I haven't played Rondo, but it seems to me like people like it more because it has challenge more in line with the NES games.

Yep, pretty much this, Y'all had it easy with your 8 directional whips ;P I honestly felt pretty accomplished having beat the entire game as Richter. Maria unlocks half way through the game, and she destroys the game with her smaller height and added abilities.

Oh, and dat Richter theme.

Also, this thread just made me listen to this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlBVOeFME7U

God I feel like a teenager again playing this on my GBA. This battle was really the pinacle of Aria of Sorrow for me.
That and the final boss fight with the "bad ending".

Oh man this takes me back...

Playing right now through the 3DS game....man I miss Igavanias and Yamane's god like music. WHY?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2iX7Le_GBI

This song......
Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

I literally just finished SOTN again 2 days ago.

Played Ps1 classic on my PSP.

God... I NEVER get sick of that game. The ones after it, on GBA and DS were also amazing, but the original... SOTN is in a tier all its own as far as games go.

The only thing I dislike is near the end, once you get all the good equipment (Crissagrim wut wut) its laughably easy. But still... in my mind it is perfect.

I'll go back and play it again as Richter soon too.

I appreciate what they're doing with LOS, but they need to make a small team of people who pump out an Igavania every year or so, because I will buy EVERY single one.

Or, better yet, make an HD sequel to SOTN, or at least one up to the same level of variety.

I literally just finished SOTN again 2 days ago.

Played Ps1 classic on my PSP.

God... I NEVER get sick of that game. The ones after it, on GBA and DS were also amazing, but the original... SOTN is in a tier all its own as far as games go.

The only thing I dislike is near the end, once you get all the good equipment (Crissagrim wut wut) its laughably easy. But still... in my mind it is perfect.

I'll go back and play it again as Richter soon too.

I appreciate what they're doing with LOS, but they need to make a small team of people who pump out an Igavania every year or so, because I will buy EVERY single one.

Or, better yet, make an HD sequel to SOTN, or at least one up to the same level of variety.

This is something I wanted to mention since I first saw this thread yet totally forgot.

I love LoS, It is one of my favorite games and LoS.2 is shaping up pretty nicely, but only a fool would deny that alot of people miss 2D Castlevania.

I agree with your suggestion, MercurySteam is finishing their story with LoS.2 and moving on to something else, it will probably be 4 years or something till the next Castlevania, In the meantime Konami should make a small team to make 2D Iga-like Castlevania title for the fans waiting for such a thing, while another team is working on the next 3D Castlevania.

That way we can have the best of both worlds and keep the brand alive.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hey OP, I wanna contribute some good music clips for the OP. How can I do that if you have PMs disabled? :(

GhaleonQ

You know what? I'm inspired. I'm going to do a top 10 series tracks if this topic's alive by the end of August.

This is 1 of my 5 favorite series and developers/teams, and is wholly representative of the Konami ethos. What do I want out of my arcade-born developers? Instead of story-based seriousness or scatterbrained lunacy, they anchored high gothic scariness with knowing silliness, slowly evolving mechanics and gimmicks with incredibly thoughtful aesthetics. I'm a huge fan of horror comedy, and Demon's Castle Dracula/Castlevania is 1 of the most representative video games of it.

My 5 favorite, from 5 to 1 and localized titles, are Circle Of The Moon, Bloodlines, Simon's Quest, Rondo Of Blood, and Order Of Ecclesia (still my 6th favorite video game ever) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25741820#post25741820 I even enjoy the Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, and Game Boy ones way more than I should!

Now, to go through the soundtracks! Obviously, MercurySteam's are exiled.

Edit: I'll do it THIS WEEK. The music is too good!

This is something I wanted to mention since I first saw this thread yet totally forgot.

I love LoS, It is one of my favorite games and LoS.2 is shaping up pretty nicely, but only a fool would deny that alot of people miss 2D Castlevania.

I agree with your suggestion, MercurySteam is finishing their story with LoS.2 and moving on to something else, it will probably be 4 years or something till the next Castlevania, In the meantime Konami should make a small team to make 2D Iga-like Castlevania title for the fans waiting for such a thing, while another team is working on the next 3D Castlevania.

That way we can have the best of both worlds and keep the brand alive.

I'd like this, but I'd also be happy with a Harmony of Despair 2, with more characters and stages.

Top Bottom