• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

15700445066_e26a4e6624_o.png

Developer:
  • Ubisoft Montreal (with assistance from other Ubisoft studios)
Publisher:
  • Ubisoft
Platforms:
  • PC (~38 GB download)
  • PlayStation 4 (~41GB download)
  • Xbox One
Release Dates:
  • November 11, 2014 [NA] (November 10th at 9PM PT if you pre-ordered at Best Buy or digitally on Xbone)
  • November 14, 2014 [PAL]
  • December 4, 2014 [JP]
PC Requirements:
MINIMUM:
  • OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit operating system required)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 (2 GB VRAM)
  • Hard Drive: 50 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers
  • Additional Notes: Windows-compatible keyboard and mouse required, optional controller
RECOMMENDED:
  • OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit operating system required)
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 290X (3 GB VRAM)
  • Hard Drive: 50 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers
  • Additional Notes: Supported video cards at the time of release: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or better, GeForce GTX 700 series; AMD Radeon HD7970 or better, Radeon R9 200 series Note: Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT officially supported.
  • sjay1994 - Writing
  • Wikipedia - Story synopsis
  • VisceralBowl - Graphics
15726627642_92cd1c599e_o.png

The main character of the game is Arno Dorian (Dan Jeannotte), a Frenchman who was born in Versailles to an Assassin father. After his father is killed, Arno is adopted, unaware that his new family holds a senior position within the Templar Order, with his new father figure the Templar Grandmaster. Arno blames himself when his adoptive father is murdered, and so sets out on a quest of redemption that brings him into the Brotherhood of Assassins, where he slowly rises through the ranks, much like Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad and Ezio Auditore as seen in previous games. Arno's love interest is a Templar named Elise De LaSerre (Catherine Bérubé), the daughter of the Templar Grandmaster who adopted Arno, who also sets out to investigate more about her father's death and its role in a growing ideological change within the Templar Order that threatens its core values. Additional characters include Marquis de Sade (Alex Ivanovici), Napoleon Bonaparte (Brent Skagford) and Maximilien de Robespierre (Bruce Dinsmore).

Arno's story will be set in Paris on the eve of the French Revolution. The modern day setting will focus on the Assassins contacting the player and requesting their help to explore Arno in the past, as well as helping in the present. Co-operative multiplayer missions will follow the development of the Brotherhood of Assassins during the French Revolution.

15105390234_d1b68b1b4e_o.png

For the first time, Assassin's Creed will have a dedicated co-op mode. Gone is the competitive multiplayer from Brotherhood onward. In Unity’s cooperative multiplayer, players will be able to tackle the streets of Paris in addition to Brotherhood and special missions with their friends. When a Brotherhood mission is started, the players are able to choose a special perk to take into missions to aid their team.

Unity’s cooperative missions are designed to allow different players to work together and combine skills in order to succeed. The gear you acquire is no longer for cosmetic purposes, as they now have real gameplay benefits, meaning that you can tailor your character to match your preferred play style.

These missions are separate from the main story.

15725180365_6b7d9b5263_o.png

Assassin’s Creed Unity has been promised as “a re-scope of the series.” The team focused on the three pillars of Assassin’s Creed and rebuilt them from the ground up, creating mission designs based on fan feedback from both Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and from other Ubisoft titles.

Assassin’s Creed Unity has two types of mission designs; AMM’s (Adjusting Mission Mechanics) and Blackboxes. AMM’s are missions whose objectives will change if a player “fails” the current objective rather than restarting the mission all over again. For example, you are playing one of the series beloved tailing missions, and you are detected by your tail. Whereas previous Assassin’s Creed games would have desynchronized you, Unity will not; instead the tail mission will become a chase. If you lose the tail, the chase mission becomes a locate. If the tail is killed you can bypass the mission, however the next mission will be more difficult as the number of guards will have increased. Blackboxes are miniature sandboxes within the game. You are given a wide open space and an objective, and you are allowed to accomplish it in any way you see fit. Blackboxes have randomized ingredients like enemy placements, ensuring that these missions can be replayed multiple times.

Utilizing the newfound power of next generation consoles, Assassin’s Creed Unity is able to render the iconic landmarks of France at a scale almost 1:1. ACU is also the first game in the series that will have a seamless transition from interiors to exteriors.

Parkour has been redesigned. By holding down A/X along with RT/R2 you will be able to ascend. New to the franchise, the “controlled descent” enables you to move down buildings quickly by holding B/O with RT/R2. And to simply sprint in a straight path, all you need to do is hold RT/R2. The end results in more control over Arno, and removes the AC problem of “ I’m on a wall I didn’t want to climb.” Due to the implementation of controlled descent, haystacks are not as common in Unity as they were in previous games, though they are still present.

In previous AC games, combat was viewed as the “path of least resistance” as it was easier to mow down enemies with brute force rather than stealth. Ubisoft is increasing the focus on stealth (more on that later) in Assassin’s Creed Unity by (apparently) making combat harder. Combat is not being made frustrating according to the team, however it is harder than previous games because it requires skill. A staple of the series, the overpowered counter kill has been removed from unity. Instead the combat is inspired by fencing, as your core combat abilities are Attack, Heavy Attack, Dodge, Parry and Perfect Parry (think Platinum Games - if you can parry an attack at the last possible moment you open up a window to counter attack). Ubisoft claims that the average player should be able to handle 1 or 2 enemies, but will struggle when against 4 or more. Enemies will no longer wait and attack you one by one. They will use their numbers against you and will act differently when the numbers are in their favor. For example, enemies with guns will distance themselves from you to take pot shots while close range enemies keep striking you. You must pay attention to the weapons and gear your enemies are holding, read their moves, and act accordingly. Ubisoft hopes that the changes they have made to combat will stop it from being the “path of least resistance” and that more players will utilize stealth.

Assassin’s Creed Unity is a stealth game. There has been a heavy focus on making stealth a viable solution in Unity, and in many cases according to Ubisoft “the preferred way to play the game.” Social stealth, which has been the core idea of AC since its inception, has been enhanced by the large crowds of Paris. There can be up to 5000 NPC’s on-screen at a time, allowing for players to slip into the crowd and vanish. For the first time ever in AC you will be able to crouch (took them a whole console generation to add this) by holding down LB/L1. While crouched you will be able to take advantage of a cover system that allows you to hide from enemies, even when there are no crowds. Unity is also taking pages from Splinter Cell as detection is no longer enemy centric (the only indication of detection is on the enemy) to player centric (you can see at all times who is detecting you, and where they are relative to you). Also from Splinter Cell, Unity is lifting the last known position system. When you escape from your pursuers, a shadow of Arno will appear indication the last known position you were seen at. Enemies will flock towards it and begin to question other NPCs, split up, and sift through crowds around the area in an attempt to find you.

TL:DR - You can crouch.

15701535556_43859efe1e_o.png

15704502006_bd68c77d5c_o.png

EXTRA STUFF:
Launch trailer

Day one patch

15563580279_d8ce20b17b_o.png

Here.
TriniTrin said:
Hi! I noticed there was not a neogaf clan on Xbox one so I created one. The rosters are limited to 50 people so if more than 50 want to join we can make more.

Just search Neogaf or the tag 1GAF

I don't think its invite based so anyone can join.

Hopefully this will make coop a bit easier!

jett

D-Member
haha you went with my thread title!

I don't have much hope for this, or for a good PC port, or for something that is not a glitched out mess, but I'm still mildly interested.

Skux

Nice OT, I like that Windows 7 Aero effect :)

I've been trying to redeem as many preorder DLCs as I can but it's just a ridiculous mess of things to keep track of between signing up for a live stream of the game, doing the Unite preorder team thing and all that other stuff.

Does anyone know if the season pass includes all the preorder DLC? I'm pretty sure it would as that has been their policy for the previous games, and I know that the 3 missions that are spread out between all the preorder types are in the season pass.

Nice OT! I'll be grabbing this to help pass the time until Dragon Age. Not sure if I want it on PS4 or XB1 though, I like the XB1 controller much better but it will probably look a bit nicer on PS4. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, and amazing title.

Denton

Will the very nice OT get updated when those minimum HW specs inevitably prove as complete bullshit ?

mp1990

Banned
Great OT,waiting for reviews and bug reports to buy it.My only problem with it is that it looked very bugged in IGN stream,and i fear that it will be like AC3.

Skux

What does the title mean? I don't speak french lol

It's a play on the motto "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" which means "Freedom, equality, brotherhood".

"Parité" is the joke based off the console parity accusations.

Truant

I was sure both the Xbox store and several sites reported the 13th as the EU date. Did they change it last minute? I checked like two days ago.

Top Bottom