• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 screens

Nickoten

Neo Member
Japanese people are lucky. When games use so many real life locations like this, you are like 10x more likely than an American to have the "I've BEEN there! I hang out there all the time!" reaction. It really brings this stuff close to home.

well Yakuza 3 just came through the post and about to jump into it :)

and then after 3 is done , i hope to get into Yakuza 4 before 5 comes out here.

full1kfucs.jpg

fullzfuyr.jpg

full33wukx.jpg

full27r7q7.jpg

http://andriasang.com/con1dx/yakuza5_big_screens/

Do I need to play Yakuza 1+2 to enjoy or understand the PS3 games? The franchise has fascinated me, but I've remained in the sidelines for now since I'm not sure if could just dive into the world without having played the first two games.

Do I need to play Yakuza 1+2 to enjoy or understand the PS3 games? The franchise has fascinated me, but I've remained in the sidelines for now since I'm not sure if could just dive into the world without having played the first two games.

They're worth playing unless you have issues with last-gen graphics, or the English dub from the first game.

That said, Yakuza 3 (and 4) come equipped with an amazing Video summary of all the events from prior games, nicely narrated by Kiryu (main character), and accessed from the main menu. It will bring you up to speed nicely.

Fjordson

Nah. Like immortal-joe said, the video summaries of 1 and 2 on Yakuza 3's disc are quality.

I finally got 3 and 4 in the mail today, about to start 3. Pretty excited.

sohois

I'd say that 2 is the best of the series and it seems from other posts in this thread to be an opinion shared by many, so despite the video summaries in the newer games I would recommend you go ahead and play Yakuza 2 at least, it is deserving of a playthrough.

I'd say that 2 is the best of the series and it seems from other posts in this thread to be an opinion shared by many, so despite the video summaries in the newer games I would recommend you go ahead and play Yakuza 2 at least, it is deserving of a playthrough.

i'll back this up, Yakuza 2 is the best in game in the series storywise and definitely should not be missed.

But, it's not necessary if you don't have easy access to the PS2 games. Each game has it's own story, only characters continue over from previous games. No cliffhanger endings here! :D

Nah. Like immortal-joe said, the video summaries of 1 and 2 on Yakuza 3's disc are quality.

I finally got 3 and 4 in the mail today, about to start 3. Pretty excited.

They're worth playing unless you have issues with last-gen graphics, or the English dub from the first game.

That said, Yakuza 3 (and 4) come equipped with an amazing Video summary of all the events from prior games, nicely narrated by Kiryu (main character), and accessed from the main menu. It will bring you up to speed nicely.

i'll back this up, Yakuza 2 is the best in game in the series storywise and definitely should not be missed.

But, it's not necessary if you don't have easy access to the PS2 games. Each game has it's own story, only characters continue over from previous games. No cliffhanger endings here! :D

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I think the visuals in both hold up incredibly well from the videos I've seen. I don't even really mind the dub (played the Shenmues, I can tolerate the VAs, can't see Yakuza 1 being any worse). I 'm hoping they're released on the PSN store too, if not I'll have to look for a PS2 on the cheap I suppose. If 2 is the best one, it should be worth it.

Kazzy

*Sigh* Sega, just inject this into my veins, now. Looking at the new area screens just brings it home how much I have wanted a new mainline Yakuza game.

And yeah, Yakuza 2 is the best game.

Watching a video summary of Yakuza 2 doesn't do the game justice at all. My advice is skip the first one (might as well be a completely different cast of characters with that Western dub *shudders*) and move straight on to 2, which is the best installment in the series, and then go on from there.

kuroshiki

Man I just beat Yakuza 4 yesterday. Was holding it out for so long, and I just couldn't stop playing it.

AWESOME game. After Yakuza 3's disappointment, 4 was just welcoming comeback of awesome franchise. I will buy Dead Souls just because it has characters from 4.

Sega please bring 5 here in US

Kazzy

Hm, I really disliked Saejima the first time around, maybe it was the hair?

Not really. RUBBER BULLETS!

kuroshiki

Hm, I really disliked Saejima the first time around, maybe it was the hair?

Not really. RUBBER BULLETS!

At first it was hard to get used to his fighting style, but man, after some adjustment, playing him was just BADASS.

I do have complain about young detective though. He was not necessary.

frequency

I wanted to be on a "media blackout" or whatever from this. But I kept seeing the thread title and I couldn't help myself.

... So they're leaving out Okinawa?

(╥_╥)

Endo Punk

The existence and awesomeness of Yakuza 5 has given me the strength to finally Platinum Y4, and this will be my first one. It was difficult but managed to snag Pachinko King, Hat trick, Shogi and Mahjong trophies. Now all that is left is the final trophy for my favourite character, purchase 5 hand guns with Saejima and I already have 20 million yen in the back :D Speaking of Saejima I didn't think he could get more bad ass but judging by those screens he has, and handsome too!

DJIzana

Wow... this is an INSTANT day one pre order for me. I just hope they still have Kazuma's old outfit. Wouldn't feel the same otherwise. =(

TEJ

Japanese people are lucky. When games use so many real life locations like this, you are like 10x more likely than an American to have the "I've BEEN there! I hang out there all the time!" reaction. It really brings this stuff close to home.

then again to americans like me yakuza feels more exotic which is very appealling when playing a videogame

which is probably why I like the mario games so much.

Endo Punk

^^^^

I have always loved Yakuza's character models, some of the most detailed in the industry and it looks like quality is going to be raised here.

Yakuza 4 Platinum'd :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At first it was hard to get used to his fighting style, but man, after some adjustment, playing him was just BADASS.

I do have complain about young detective though. He was not necessary.
As a character whose story hinged in part on his race, I found him fascinating. Especially in the context of a Japanese game where race is usually a non-issue.

Will buy, but honestly so far I'm not seeing that new/improved engine.

Also, by now (due to the level seen in other games), the faces could use some more texture detail, still good though.

/rant ;P

Endo Punk

Akiyama not pleased.

8az743.jpg

Will buy, but honestly so far I'm not seeing that new/improved engine.

Also, by now (due to the level seen in other games), the faces could use some more texture detail, still good though.[

/rant ;P

We wont know how improved the game is until we get a trailer which I hope is soon but probably wont be until September TGS time.

AngryMoth

Really enjoyed 4 but got a bit bogged down in towards the end of the Saejima stuff. Think I'll go back to it today, been meaning to for a while. Depending on the European release date I might try and make 5 the first game I play in Japanese

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so ready for some dancing minigames with Haruka.

Jubern

That looks exactly like one of the stores you can enter in Kamurocho, located right at the south of the map. Eerily similar.

It is the same store. Kamurocho is largely based on infamous Tokyo red light district "Kabukicho", known to be the lair of yakuzas in their peak. Now it's a little cleaner (as in, even I go to party there).

Once, I showed Yakuza 4 to a Japanese friend who knew Kabukicho rather well but never played a Yakuza game. It totally blew his mind over how accurate it was, that was really funny ahah. Same happened to me in reverse.

edit > beaten like a punched tiger

ekim

I recently got myself a PS3 and as I'm really into open world games, but played nearly every notable title, I looked out for PS3 exclusives and stumbled upon Yakuza 4.
How much open world is this game? Can you own an apartment?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I recently got myself a PS3 and as I'm really into open world games, but played nearly every notable title, I looked out for PS3 exclusives and stumbled upon Yakuza 4.
How much open world is this game? Can you own an apartment?
Each character has a base of sorts. The scale is much smaller than any other open world game though, but it's also much denser.

dellingr

This is looking very nice. Reminds me that I need to get a copy of Yakuza 2 at some point. I played the first and really enjoyed it but I want to play them in order. I could probably find a copy of Yakuza 2 online somewhere. And Yakuza 3 and 4 are super cheap whenever I see them in stores. May as well buy 3 and 4 now just so I know that I can play them later.

Replicant

I don't undetstand why they don't just call the place Kabukicho instead of Kamurocho. Will they also make up similar-sounding names for other famous places in Japan like Osaka's Dotonbori featured in this game?

Jubern

Hey guys.....maybe we can try to avoid bumps with no localization news....

Or not. You know, up to you.

Some of us will leap on the Japanese version day 1.
And despite no localization news, I don't really see why it's wrong to lurk for news about a very anticipated game :x

I don't undetstand why they don't just call the place Kabukicho instead of Kamurocho. Will they also make up similar-sounding names for other famous places in Japan like Osaka's Dotonbori featured in this game?

Maybe it could put them into troubles with city officials, who knows?
And yes, the names of the other places will change. Dotonbori and Shinsekai were already in Yakuza 2 actually, and were called Sotenbori and Shiseicho, respectively.

Top Bottom