• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since August, 2013 content plans outlined

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Stopped playing after a few weeks, and pretty sure all my friends did also. Removing the Trinity was one of the worst things about the game IMO.

I keep hoping for another game to come out that captures me like DAoC did but just keep getting let down in that sense. I can't even really put my finger on what made the PVP in DAoC so much more enjoyable then any other MMO PVP since.

As far as GW2 goes, I really loved the exploration and the area / world design but outside of that I can't say much else stood out to me. Post level cap content in PVE and PVP was pretty disastrous. The lack of the trinity class system while a worthwhile idea to chase just didn't work and ended up with very unfocused feeling combat and poor PVE encounter design.

RvR in DaoC was more smaller scale and focued that GW2 WvWvW. The hugeness of the WvWvW battlegrounds just make it so that it promotes zergs to circle each other. In DaoC the huge battles were focused to more contained area and kept the action flowing

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I loved this game, hit the level cap and never logged into again. I really hope some of the new content and help me recapture the magic.

yup same here

and I strongly disliked the last two enemy-ridden territories. Shite got annoying fast

I also agree about the absence of trinity. Game showed you can't always innovate and get better results

T.O.P

Banned
Played the game for about two weeks, then the boredom came in, still one of the most amazing world map in an mmo by far, incredible (from what i've seen at least)

yup same here

and I strongly disliked the last two enemy-ridden territories. Shite got annoying fast

I also agree about the absence of trinity. Game showed you can't always innovate and get better results

I think the game innovates in so many ways, it really is brilliant at some of it's design choices. But the removal of the trinity did a lot of harm to the games longevity and group play design. It was their biggest mistake in the game which was full of so much good.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Congrats to the team, great game. I've spent hundreds of hours on the it so far and it's been my favourite mmo by far. Very well deserved sales.

Removing the Trinity was one of the best things about the game IMO.

fixed that

My fiancee and I are in the process of getting our legendary weapons. I've got an 80 Guardian and she has an 80 Engineer. Between the meta events, the WvW, the Fractals, and the jumping puzzles, there is a lot more to this game than people give it credit for. Don't like that? Want the "holy trinity"? WoW can be downloaded at worldofwarcraft.com

fixed that

I agree. I actually love the fact that there are no dedicated healers.

RvR in DaoC was more smaller scale and focued that GW2 WvWvW. The hugeness of the WvWvW battlegrounds just make it so that it promotes zergs to circle each other. In DaoC the huge battles were focused to more contained area and kept the action flowing

Zergs were a big part of DAoC as well though, I think what made it more tolerable was that you could set up a small group of coordinated skilled players and zerg bust to great success in DAoC but I never got the sense that it was possible at the same scale in GW2.

The variety in viable playstyles for RvR in DAoC really is an amazing feat, you had organized 8v8, zerg vs zerg. small zerg buster groups, Solo play, Darkness Falls, Keep and relic focused battles and everything in between.

I kind of get the feeling DAoC endgame developed in ways that the developers really didn't even anticipate and it may have just been a one time thing. I think I may set impossible standards for any MMO that attempts the same kind of RvRish PvP style but I just can't help it.

I too reached max. level, completed the [pretty awful] main storyline and realized there was nothing compelling left to do. I look forward to future expansions though, and the lack of a subscription fee ensures the first sentence of my post is ultimately irrelevant.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Stopped playing after a few weeks, and pretty sure all my friends did also. Removing the Trinity was one of the worst things about the game IMO.

TBF considering how many games have the trinity I'm glad they did regardless of the overall success. If I wanted more trinity gameplay I'd play the dozens of mmo's that have it.

NIN90

Hooked me more than any other MMO but I quit after 4 weeks or so of heavy play.
My problem with MMOs is that 95% of what I'm doing is essentialy meaningless.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Jumping puzzles are why GW2 is on my GOTY list. I can rag on the combat for hours, but nobody makes a world like ArenaNet. Stumbling into hidden areas, jumping puzzles and miniature boss events with chests upon completion is a joy.

I'd be interested in seeing how many refunds they've given out also.

Not being a jackass, I'm legitimately curious.
Probably somewhere around 0.

2San

Well deserved imo, even though I didn't like the game as much I'd like to. It has a lot of good things going for it. Wasn't really a fan of the graphics till I walked through Divinity's Reach, I was just mind blown. Really awesomely designed open world. Loved being in the world, didn't like actually playing it though. xD

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Really like the game but they need something to do at max level besides grinding for armor skins. Still kinda sad that the things I enjoyed most from the original Guild Wars like gearing up henchmen, hunting for elite skills and trying out new dual-class builds are gone.

GW1 and GW2 are the only "MMOs" that I have played so to me it seems like 3 million copied in 6 months shows that the game is really good and sold well, but everyone here seems to be dismissing this.

Is it because other MMOs sold way more in 6 months?

Wallach

Zergs were a big part of DAoC as well though, I think what made it more tolerable was that you could set up a small group of coordinated skilled players and zerg bust to great success in DAoC but I never got the sense that it was possible at the same scale in GW2.

Yes. What is missing from the zerg factor in GW2 is the ability for small coordinated groups to regularly succeed in destroying large, unfocused groups. Then again today's MMO gamers would shit the bed if they had to deal with a well-executed mez-into-butter-churn destruction. Judging by how they react to modern offerings of CC they'd probably come out the other end with emotional scars.

GW1 and GW2 are the only "MMOs" that I have played so to me it seems like 3 million copied in 6 months shows that the game is really good and sold well, but everyone here seems to be dismissing this.

No, I don't think so. It's quite good, actually.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I agree. I actually love the fact that there are no dedicated healers.
I'm squarely behind the decision to utterly eradicate the trinity and I hope the game's success encourages them to stick to their guns in that regard rather than veer back toward it to appeal to traditional MMO conventions.

I love the versatility of every individual class, I love how different group-class makeups can affect different situations, and I really love not needing to get players with certain classes into my group before I can succeed.

There will always be plenty of games employing the holy trinity available, so I hope they continue to embrace the alternative.

when they added Fractals it was super fun, easily the best dungeon content in the game, some of which seemed to prove you could do good instances without a trinity system, but almost immediately it segregated me from my friend who was grinding them like mad, so I had to sit around scrounging for groups to catch up.
The fragmentation from fractal levels is probably my biggest issue with the PvE side of the game at present and seemeed really out of sync with the philosophy up til this point. But! It's being fixed in the next patch :D

Divvy

I've had good times in some dungeons but I find them to be shockingly inconsistent. Especially if you're new to them. There is no indication that you're taking your party into a 20 minute run (one of the CoF paths) or two hours of teeth grinding hell (Arah), or how difficult they are. And when they added Fractals it was super fun, easily the best dungeon content in the game, some of which seemed to prove you could do good instances without a trinity system, but almost immediately it segregated me from my friend who was grinding them like mad, so I had to sit around scrounging for groups to catch up.

These aspects wore me out. People seem to hate on the DE system but exploring areas to find those and jump puzzles is far more fun and engaging to me. This is one of the few modern MMOs that lets you explore that way and actually FIND things. Some of you who hate the game should give it a try, instead of running from marker to marker. That is, if you care at all about exploring In a video game after what years of MMO playing has done to many of your brains.

I'll be coming back when WvW gets brushed up a bit. That's the mode I'm most interested in, and it has been on the verge of greatness since the beginning. It wouldn't take massive changes for it to be something extremely fun and addictive.

Yup, nothing like exploring off the beaten path and happening upon a secret jumping puzzle or a hidden mini-dungeon.

WvW just needs a better reward system and some maturation with the player base. It's gotten way better since launch when it was just zergs going in circles capping and recapping each other's stuff. Now there's a huge amount of strategy involved whether you're part of a zerg or a roaming party. I've played few games as rewarding as the moment when you cap a keep or castle after an hour of sieging and brawling. Hopefully the improved rewards coming soon are good.

Yes. What is missing from the zerg factor in GW2 is the ability for small coordinated groups to regularly succeed in destroying large, unfocused groups. Then again today's MMO gamers would shit the bed if they had to deal with a well-executed mez-into-butter-churn destruction. Judging by how they react to modern offerings of CC they'd probably come out the other end with emotional scars.

You can zerg bust in gw2. I've seen entire zergs wiped out by a handful of skilled players running the right classes and equipment. It's hard and you have to be really good, but that make sense if you want to wipe out 20+ people.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really love the game, but my usual approach is to only play when I feel there's something new and interesting to do (like with the content updates).

It's not a sub game, so it not being something that I would play 24/7 isn't really an issue for me.

I felt the Fractals were also a nice step forward for game design that actually matches the game's gameplay, whereas the dungeons felt like a less good fit.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
if your gonna mention they plan on changing the achievement stuff at least mention what they plan on doing lol

One of the ways the teams plans to go about this is by “expanding and leveraging” the achievement system, which will allow players to earn new rewards for achievements, add tokens for for said achievements to turn in for rewards. New rewards examples provided were ascended gear and infusions. Support for daily achievements will be different each day of the week, and later on, a system allowing players to complete a “subgroup of achievements” to fulfill dailies will be added.

they are also adding guild missions and guild rewards later on this year too

I don't get the sense anyone is dismissing that it sold really well and that the devs deserve all the success they may get. You can acknowledge quality and still wish things were done differently or better.

Early innovation often comes with downsides that later get ironed out in other games / future patches and exspansions and noting what kinds of stuff you disliked doesn't mean you don't appreciate the attempts to move the genre forward.

Probably not that many. Typically the vast majority of people don't bother even if offered. So I'd be surprised if it reached the several hundreds.

Probably somewhere around 0.

Well, I know a few people who have gotten them. Personally, I bought 2 copies and we both stopped playing after a week.

I was surprised and honestly pleased with ANET for giving people this option, but I chose not to because I'm notorious for jumping back into MMOs and giving them another chance after every expansion/patch.

Wallach

You can zerg bust in gw2. I've seen entire zergs wiped out by a handful of skilled players running the right classes and equipment. It's hard and you have to be really good, but that make sense if you want to wipe out 20+ people.

The tools aren't really there to the extent we're talking about.

Trey

I think the trinity is balls and the event system is a revelation. I have no trouble with under populated zones and can do any event I come across.

It might work for me because the game gives you all of its content straight up instead of putting you on a treadmill for a long time before opening up the full game to you. The exploration is unmatched, at least compared to the MMOs I've briefly played in the past. The combat is inspired and rewarding.

Got my money's worth many times over. Looking forward to the new shit, with some reservations because I'm not even close to finished with the old shit.

chiablo

The thing that bothered me most in GW2 is that after you hit level 10, you have all the skills you will ever have. So there's nothing to look forward to in the upcoming levels.

Trey

The thing that bothered me most in GW2 is that after you hit level 10, you have all the skills you will ever have. So there's nothing to look forward to in the upcoming levels.

You only have 8 skills slots unlocked at level ten, which does not include your elite skill. You only have a handful of skill points. No real access to runes, Armor, dungeons, sigils and the like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You mean level 30
You can't even unlock all the utility skills by level 30 let alone all the elite skills. At level 10 you don't even have all of your utility slots unlocked.

But theoretically you can unlock all the weapons skills for a class even before level 10, I assume that's what he's talking about (although I like it).

Syril

You only have 8 skills slots unlocked at level ten, which does not include your elite skill. You only have a handful of skill points. No real access to runes, Armor, dungeons, sigils and the like.

Not to mention traits, which you technically don't have full access to until level 60.

Not sure what you're talking about then.

When I say zerg busting from DAoC I mean a group of 8 people taking out groups of hundreds of people not just 20-30. There isn't the same kind of precision based CC and support skills mixed with outstanding class synergy in GW2 as DAoC has.

All serious PvPers in DAoC had very similar gear builds with capped stats and all the same tools available to them so it came down to who could take advantage of what the game provided you better. GW2 had way more variables in play gear and class ability wise and nowhere near the same amount of control and support options.

It is hard to explain unless you have played both games at similar levels I guess. I definately didn't get the same feeling of control in GW2 as I did in DAoC.

Wallach

Not sure what you're talking about then.

There's a pretty low sort of critical mass you hit in GW2 where small groups are ineffective without very specific siege setups. Because of the blanket AoE target cap and very low amount of CC, the group dynamic ramps up in power extremely fast.

In DAoC, the group dynamic does not have that kind of scaling power. A single AoE mez will nail an entire field of people if said field of people decides to all stand in a shitty grouping. In the same way, you could blanket said group in AoE damage. It's very hard to hit that kind of critical mass then, because a small group can still catch out a very large one that makes poor choices in routes or engagement locations. The game mechanics of GW2 generally serve to protect players even when they make those mistakes to a pretty significant degree.

Napophis

Really liked the world of GW2 but coming from Tera the combat wasn't anywhere near as good as that. I really missed the trinity system as well, esp since i usually play a Tank and my wife a healer.

Gw2 World + Tera Combat + Raiding(at least 10 man) = best mmo ever.

Divvy

You can't even unlock all the utility skills by level 30 let alone all the elite skills. At level 10 you don't even have all of your utility slots unlocked.

But theoretically you can unlock all the weapons skills for a class even before level 10, I assume that's what he's talking about (although I like it).

Not to mention traits, which you technically don't have full access to until level 60.

Oh yeah, traits too. You don't get them all until max level.

When I say zerg busting from DAoC I mean a group of 8 people taking out groups of hundreds of people not just 20-30. There isn't the same kind of precision based CC and support skills mixed with outstanding class synergy in GW2 as DAoC has.

All serious PvPers in DAoC had very similar gear builds with capped stats and all the same tools available to them so it came down to who could take advantage of what the game provided you better. GW2 had way more variables in play gear and class ability wise and nowhere near the same amount of control and support options.

It is hard to explain unless you have played both games at similar levels I guess. I definately didn't get the same feeling of control in GW2 as I did in DAoC.

There's a pretty low sort of critical mass you hit in GW2 where small groups are ineffective without very specific siege setups. Because of the blanket AoE target cap and very low amount of CC, the group dynamic ramps up in power extremely fast.

In DAoC, the group dynamic does not have that kind of scaling power. A single AoE mez will nail an entire field of people if said field of people decides to all stand in a shitty grouping. In the same way, you could blanket said group in AoE damage. It's very hard to hit that kind of critical mass then, because a small group can still catch out a very large one that makes poor choices in routes or engagement locations. The game mechanics of GW2 generally serve to protect players even when they make those mistakes to a pretty significant degree.

Ah yeah, I get what you're saying. I don't like the 5 target limit either, it too strongly favours the zerg. I hope they change that later.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Really liked the world of GW2 but coming from Tera the combat wasn't anywhere near as good as that. I really missed the trinity system as well, esp since i usually play a Tank and my wife a healer.

Gw2 World + Tera Combat + Raiding(at least 10 man) = best mmo ever.

Screw Tera combat give me Vindictus combat. Open world game with Vindictus combat would be glorious. Dat stylish gameplay.

"Also I hated the 'downed' system."

The downed system is a total bandaid to cover up the lack of the trinity and reliable healing. I think this is a core problem with PvP, downed state almost singlehandedly ruins it.

Completely agree. It was known before PvP was even played. It made it even worse when the devs tried to say they saw great strategies being implimented with it. Heh, sure...

Their holiday pvp events have shown more interesting mechanics and potential than the actual current spvp.

I completely agree. The snowball PvP fight was probably the most fun I have had with the game, easily. Really wish they could impliment that feeling in their sPVP.

birdchili

You can zerg bust in gw2.
4v30(ish) in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-919RMwyfnk&feature=player_embedded

the zerg is hiveminded and stays at range (oops), but pretty nice leveraging of terrain and coordinated play nonetheless.

focusing on achievements and isn't filling me with confidence for 2013, but the game definitely still has PvE moments for me. I really like the *very* casual partying it naturally enables in the world - more difficult PvE content that would encourage spontaneous casual grouping please.

I don't think the unfun nature of slogging through zergs or damage sponges is the lack of Trinity's fault.

I think that falls on just bad design. You could have one game with a trinity system filled with terrible encounter and combat design while you could have another game with no trinity system filled with grade A encounter and combat design that makes your head explode because of how awesome it is.

It's really dependant on how the dev's interpret class design in a Trinity or no Trinity framework.

"I really liked what I played of this (I only reached level ~30 but I played used quite a few different classes). However, I'm still not sure that the almost complete removal of the holy trinity was a good idea. People complain about being locked into specific roles but it sure as hell helps with encounter design and PvP."

I'm inclined to agree. All of the PvE encounters are some of the worst in any MMO and SPvP (which is generally where I spend a majority of my time in MMOs, I even enjoy instanced PvP in completely awful MMOs) wasn't compelling at all.

this..
removing the holy trinity was a clusterfuck given that this way they will always have issue to balance any pve encounter..
fun sure but if
everybody is supposed to tanke damage and everybody is supposed to heal...
some mechanics during encounters, say shared life for one, how do you propose players to embrace something regarding healing if NONODY is a dedicated healer? you'll balance with 2-3 ppl healing (2-3 GENEROUS PEOPLE while the others care shit)? this way the encouter will be a gimmick since they require too few people to actually care for what they are doing...
you'll require 5-7 people to be pro-actively healing? sure, i wonder how many you'll get if "nobody is supposed to be on healing duty, this is not trinity-mode-friendly mmo"-was your motto :)

so yeah...

Complistic

No no no. The trinity is the reason I don't play other MMO's. But this isn't the place to discuss this.

And I'm so happy to hear those sales numbers. Completely deserved. The game isn't perfect, but you can tell they put so much effort into the game.

padlock

The problem is that they didn't innovate. Did they ask themselves:

"What are the gameplay benefits in having the trinity?"
"What will be lossed if we remove it?"
"How can we make for it in other ways?"

Doesn't seem like it. They simply removed an important game system, without any attempt at understanding why it was important, and what could be a sutable replacement.

The result was spectacularly boring combat.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I have to agree that lack of trinity kills it for me. While not a deal breaker in PvP, I have yet to see any interesting group pve encounters with lack of a trinity. Maybe there are interesting encounters to be had that don't require a trinity, I just haven't seen them yet. In any case pretty decent game, success is well deserved.

The problem is that they didn't innovate. Did they ask themselves:

"What are the gameplay benefits in having the trinity?"
"What will be lossed if we remove it?"
"How can we make for it in other ways?"

Doesn't seem like it. They simply removed an important game system, without any attempt at understanding why it was important, and what could be a sutable replacement.

This is kind of how I felt about it.

Like they removed the trinity system, but still kept the same type of MMO Trinity combat we've come to expect in.

Well at least ArenaNet has gotten your share of the money used to contribute to their numbers. Even if most of you guys don't play anymore, I find it funny how some people only got up to very low levels and stopped playing overall.

I'm actually GLAD the trinity was done away with. I've run dungeon builds with other players who skills complement mine.

It's pretty terrible in WvW since everyone tends to be joining a zerg fest, but those dungeons will truly kick your butt if you go in with just a damaging glass cannon build. I've been able to build some "synergy" with other players that I often dungeon with so our runs have been very smooth.

But yes, zerg fests are stupid and need to be looked at once again. The dragon fights aren't even fun at all.

Sora_N

Also I hated the 'downed' system.

Yeah, I hated that too. I usually died anyways. I didn't really get a chance to party much though.

I mainly just liked exploring in the game, but that couldn't really hold me to the game as I didn't enjoy the combat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll take Dark Souls/Chivalry animation lock/parry/riposte gameplay for my dream MMO, please.
Oh good lord. Just make Dark Souls bigger, allow friendly phantoms to cohabitate the world at random and store character data server side and it is my dream MMO.

Yeah, the removal of trinity is a good thing.
Although there are no tools yet, LFG is still pretty fast because of it.

I've been playing since headstart almost daily and can't agree with this.
Way better than most MMOs so far. (have not played Tera)

Probably a matter of opinion I guess.

Top Bottom