• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you need to feel a sense of progression to enjoy the time you put into a game?

Yohane

Yes, I have an extremely short attention span. I get bored if I'm not feeling like I'm progressing constantly

It depends, but I'd generally say no. There are cases where progression can get me through something I otherwise would drop, but usually I only stick with games with great fundamental gameplay that I enjoy. To me, good progression is an enhancement, and the best progression system in the world can't save an otherwise boring game.

I still thoroughly enjoy games like Shadow of Mordor from time to time, even though I've gotten everything there is to get. I also stuck with Titanfall 1 for years, despite it not having a lengthy/complex progression system.

Giga Man

Yes, I want to feel a sense of progression, but at my own pace. I want to do as much as I want in how ever much time I want to spend. Games that tether your progression to real-time like Animal Crossing are not for me because I feel restricted in what I can do each day.

99% of the time yes. The only exception I can think of is BotW where I didn't mind spending a few hours just exploring even if I didn't make any progress.

Rncewind

Depends really

I dont need progression, but if i have not some, let say overwatch for example, im gonna quickly gonna bored of it and dont play it that long. Still had my 120h fun. But im not ever gonna touch it again, like league of legends, no matter how many heroes/champions there releasing because i had my game exprince with that concept and without progression there is nothing how this is gonna massivly change

ArjanN

Yeah, I need to feel like I'm not wasting my time.

That's why I bounce off rogue likes very fast, just seems like I'm not going nowhere.

In MP games/roguelikes etc even though there's no meters going up, the progression lies in you, the player, getting better through experience and practice, which is actually ultimately more satisfying.

Raven117

Yeah, I have to feel like I'm moving the football on SOMETHING in the game.

Its actually why I have trouble playing pure multiplayer games.

Top Bottom