• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

spiritfox

Untold 1 is pretty fun. I started in story mode on expert difficulty. Is that the way to go to get the most ouf of the game? I've only gotten to the third floor so far but the difficulty feels similar to EO4.

I also read I can basically ignore those grimoire things, is that accurate? I find them a little confusing.

One thing I'm sad about is the fact I can't seem to choose my own class. I loved linking attacks with my Landsknecht in EO4.

You can change the classes for the story characters, but their stats don't change so most of the time it's not really useful. Also Links don't work the same in EOU as in EO4, so you can't even do Links anyway.

Grimoires are pretty poorly implemented in EOU. Basically, you treat them as extra skills you can equip your party with, and it's random what you get per battle (unless you manipulate RNG but that's stupid). Also they do not stack with the base class skills in EOU. It's a little hard to play the game without Grimoires in Expert, but you can just treat them as extra skills to work with.

Grimoires are a headache in Untold 1 and aren't worth bothering with, unless you're trying really hard to optimize your party, and you'll be fine not going in-depth with them for almost the entire game.

The Story mode of Untold 1 is rather... lacking, and completely ruins the original game's plot. I would have suggested you to start with Classic mode first, but too late for that, alas. It would have allowed you to make your own party as well.

If you plan to play Untold 2, I can vouch that both the Story mode and the Grimoire system are greatly improved, so you can start directly with Story for this one.

The Untold games are weird in that despite the Grimoire system, they're the most balanced EO games to date.

I heard the story mode has more content and additional weapons. I don't really care about the plot at all and I usually skip it unless it's a mission briefing.

omlet

Untold 1 is pretty fun. I started in story mode on expert difficulty. Is that the way to go to get the most ouf of the game? I've only gotten to the third floor so far but the difficulty feels similar to EO4.
The way to get the most out of EOU1 is to play story mode first then NG+ into Classic, carry your story party over, and then have the best of both worlds.

I also read I can basically ignore those grimoire things, is that accurate? I find them a little confusing.
If you're playing on Expert mode you will not want to ignore them. Also if you plan to do postgame you'll probably want them. Expert mode is balanced with the use of grimoires taken into account. The lesser difficulties, not as much.

One thing I'm sad about is the fact I can't seem to choose my own class. I loved linking attacks with my Landsknecht in EO4.
Well, Lands are not as good in EO1 compared to EO4. The story mode party is strong in EOU1, especially with grimoires. But, yes, that's the main drawback of story modes, can't make your own characters.

So the predetermined story party is good to begin with? I find the Highlanders' skills not so flashy so far but if his class opens up a bit, I actually wouldn't mind just sticking with the story mode, finishing it and moving on to the next game.

And I'll try to find out what grimoirs are about. Too bad about the Landsknecht nerfs though. Was he considered too good in EO4? I'm pretty sure I chose that class on a whim.

omlet

So the predetermined story party is good to begin with? I find the Highlanders' skills not so flashy so far but if his class opens up a bit, I actually wouldn't mind just sticking with the story mode, finishing it and moving on to the next game.
Both U1 and U2 have story mode parties that are well balanced for the game, including postgame, if you build your skills right. Highlander is incredibly strong later in the game.

And I'll try to find out what grimoirs are about. Too bad about the Landsknecht nerfs though. Was he considered too good in EO4? I'm pretty sure I chose that class on a whim.
Not really a nerf. Landsknecht was just a weaker class in EO1 and 2, didn't really exist in EO3 (its skill set was chopped up and distributed to other classes), and then came back in EO4 with a lot of enhancements to make it much more competitive for a party slot via link setups with dancers and snipers. Untold 1 and 2 made a few minor balance tweaks to the original classes from 1 and 2 but by in large they are pretty similar to how they were in those games. It's been a while since I played U1 and even longer since I played OG1 and OG2, so my memory is fuzzy on how they all compare if you try to rank them, but I think landsharks still got the short end of the stick in the Untolds when you compare them to the other classes in 1 and 2.

omlet

Wew.

I leveled one in U1 and it was lackluster but I don't think I got around to leveling on in U2, now that I think about it. My final EO2 party didn't include one, either
hexer shenanigans
, but I do remember them being better than in EO1.

Nachos

If you're playing on Expert mode you will not want to ignore them. Also if you plan to do postgame you'll probably want them. Expert mode is balanced with the use of grimoires taken into account. The lesser difficulties, not as much.
Eh, I think you can safely ignore them honestly. I 100%-ed U1, and the only ones I'd say really help are the Wolf Pack and Offering Robe king grimoires, and once you know the trick with them, you can get them more consistently than regular stones.

KarmaCow

Anyone remember when the previous EO demos came out relative to the respective game releases? Just wondering on when to expect the EOV demo.

Nachos

Anyone remember when the previous EO demos came out relative to the respective game releases? Just wondering on when to expect the EOV demo.
Two weeks beforehand, based on all the other games.

And I forgot to post this: some members of the Something Awful Etrian community have been working on a balance patch for Etrian III, which is now in its first beta. Some things are hard-coded, so they can't change as much as they'd like right now, but they're basically aiming to make all the classes viable.

Just to give you a feel for what changes:
  • You can run now
  • All classes unlocked from the start
  • No longer possible to completely negate elemental attacks. Some enemy attacks have been changed to account for this
  • All skill trees have been changed in some way, with abilities both added and removed.
  • All enemies have had their ailment resistances nerfed, which buffs wildlings and farmers
  • Conditional drops will now drop 100% of the time
  • Farmer actually seems good in combat now, but it's still the most RNG-dependent class
  • Zodiacs aren't as strong early-game but got a lot of buffs late-game. Prophecy skills take much longer to reach and give enemies weaknesses instead of countering attacks.
  • The prince's attack and defense buffs now work for elemental attacks
  • Gladiator got a lot of their support skills nerfed (Charge and Berserker Vow), but their attack skills are much better now. This makes subclassing far less broken when using that class, without gutting the class' power.
  • All buccaneer chase skills can now be used with either a sword or a gun, and they're grouped by attack type now. So, if you use Chase Blow with a gun equipped, you'll follow-up any physical attack with a strike attack, ignoring the gun's properties. Use Chase Ice, and you'll follow-up any elemental attack with an ice one.
  • Ninjas can now use swords and get an equivalent to ecstasy.

Haven't had the chance to try it out, but it looks neat. I'm guessing some of the hard-coded things they'd like to change are stuff with some of the late-game bosses,
specifically how the Abyssal God behaves and changes phases.

Weebos

Banned
Went back to EOU2 finally and I am trying to rework my party. Currently I have a highlander, sovereign, and gunner, but I am stuck on my last two.

I was thinking a war magus, but I'm not sure what to complement it with. Maybe a hexer? No tank but the protector and beast don't seem that great at tanking anyway.

Any input is appreciated.

spiritfox

Ninja buffs are good.

Went back to EOU2 finally and I am trying to rework my party. Currently I have a highlander, sovereign, and gunner, but I am stuck on my last two.

I was thinking a war magus, but I'm not sure what to complement it with. Maybe a hexer? No tank but the protector and beast don't seem that great at tanking anyway.

Any input is appreciated.

War Magus is better than Medic for healing, but Sov does provide decent healing by herself. Beast is great for tanking, even better than Protector in EO2U actually. I rather have a tank and no dedicated healer than a healer with no tank.

Weebos

Banned
Ninja buffs are good.

War Magus is better than Medic for healing, but Sov does provide decent healing by herself. Beast is great for tanking, even better than Protector in EO2U actually. I rather have a tank and no dedicated healer than a healer with no tank.
I ran a beast for awhile and didn't love it, maybe I should rest it and reskill it a bit.

I played EOU1 without a dedicated healer or tank, mainly just to try it out. I might just be used to winging it like that. I loved the fortress in EO4, I wish that was in EOU2.

spiritfox

I ran a beast for awhile and didn't love it, maybe I should rest it and reskill it a bit.

I played EOU1 without a dedicated healer or tank, mainly just to try it out. I might just be used to winging it like that. I loved the fortress in EO4, I wish that was in EOU2.

If you wanna run WM, get a Hexer and use Ailment Blade on WM. She was 2nd highest DPS in my EO2U party because of that.

ohlawd

Not gonna lie guys.

Really want this series to just make the move to Switch, somehow.

yeah it will

enjoy EOV:Redux Switch that will see a release in Japan but no plans for English localization

and an EOVI on PS4/X1/PC in a vain attempt to capture that worldwide market

tuffy

yeah it will

enjoy EOV:Redux Switch that will see a release in Japan but no plans for English localization

and an EOVI on PS4/X1/PC in a vain attempt to capture that worldwide market
I'm sure Atlus isn't going to pull a Capcom on us!

But yeah, if the series does continue, moving to Switch seems the most logical choice. But even then, the necessary adjustments to map-making will change its flavor somewhat no matter how they do it.

I'm sure Atlus isn't going to pull a Capcom on us!

But yeah, if the series does continue, moving to Switch seems the most logical choice. But even then, the necessary adjustments to map-making will change its flavor somewhat no matter how they do it.

The funny thing is it would have worked on Wii U lol. 2 screens.

Zweizer

Banned
Two weeks beforehand, based on all the other games.

And I forgot to post this: some members of the Something Awful Etrian community have been working on a balance patch for Etrian III, which is now in its first beta. Some things are hard-coded, so they can't change as they'd like right now, but they're basically aiming to make all the classes viable.

Sounds pretty impressive. This might make for a decent replacement to Untold 3
coming never.

You will need at least the three elemental walls if you plan to tackle some postgame bosses.

You mean drop less items? They don't drop money. And no, they don't.

Your money situation depends on the game. 4 was extremely generous with money but I'm finding something like 2U can leave you pretty broke what with spending money on city development and such.

I skipped U1 so I dunno about that one. Sending out a party to farm item points was generally the go-to method of money making in the early games though.

Anteo

Yeah you want to farm spots once in a while like in other entries (except IV) Alternatively you can buy the money dlc if you dont want to invest too much time grimding money.

Nachos

Man, I don't know what's going on with EO5 at E3. I haven't seen a single site or tweet covering the game, aside from Atlus saying that they're doing live demos of it and Radiant Historia.

I figured at least Jeremy Parish would look into it, but I don't know how crazy his schedule is.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yooo! I might have to try this out. Making Farmers be really combat viable would be really interesting.

Seriously didnt need a fan patch for that. As my main party had 2 farmers in it already lol.

20100204020725.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Sounds pretty good, especially the mapping changes. I guess the Unison system is the Boost/Force replacement for this installment.

Zweizer

Banned
Started an all-Protectors playthrough of Untold 2 for kicks, and also as a celebration of the localization news I guess.

wvw69ky1xgmm_e1v4rl2um0.png

Edit: I say playthrough, but it's more like just walking up the floors. Not feeling arsed to start over just for Artelinde and the Overlord, lol.

Looking for some suggestions for my sub classes in EOIII. Love the crazy amount of customization in these games, but the sub-classing system was trotted out right before a boss fight that I'd like to put behind me.

I've got the following:

Prince / Barbarian / Protector
Monk / Zodiac

I'm not adverse to using somewhat broken combinations. Spamming dark ether does sort of sound like it would make the game a little boring. So maybe combinations that don't focus on that?

Also is it ever possible to select a different sub-class like after resting for example? And I know the game has multiple endings. Is there a true one I can go for on my first playthrough or is that unnecessary?

spiritfox

Looking for some suggestions for my sub classes in EOIII. Love the crazy amount of customization in these games, but the sub-classing system was trotted out right before a boss fight that I'd like to put behind me.

I've got the following:

Prince / Barbarian / Protector
Monk / Zodiac

I'm not adverse to using somewhat broken combinations. Spamming dark ether does sort of sound like it would make the game a little boring. So maybe combinations that don't focus on that.

Also is it ever possible to select a different sub-class like after resting for example? And I know the game has multiple endings. Is there a true one I can go for on my first playthrough or is that unnecessary?

Yes, resting removes your subclass so you can pick another one.

Monk/Prince is the most common healing spec though you're doubling on classes there. Warrior likes Arbalist, and Hoplite/Ninja is a pretty gimmicky strat but it's fun. Not sure about the rest.

You can go for the true ending in your first playthrough but it's not recommended. Firstly cause the final boss is the toughest, and secondly you're missing out on the story from the other paths.

Zweizer

Banned

I knew you would appreciate as a fellow player with impeccable taste~

Was probably a bit overleveled against Chimaera, so I didn't drop it into any trap to compensate. The fight was pretty easy still, as it wasn't able to do any noteworthy damage against an entire party of Protectors, and Shield Rush makes it even harder for it to hurt. Its poison was still annoying however, but not enough to overwhelm Heal Guard + Healing Rhythm.

Top Bottom