• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(08-08-2017, 04:34 AM)
Slayven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

Oh man, Josh Hartnett.

Take you back don't it?
Chamber
love on your sleeve
(08-08-2017, 04:34 AM)
Chamber's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

Someone should document Hollywood's like last 2 decades attempt at trying to make stars

Would Fassbender be on that list?
Random Human
They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
(08-08-2017, 04:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

He always said he wants to be behind the camera, might be his way of learning the ropes


You have to start here

Shit, Orlando Bloom's in this one too.
OrangeAtlas
Member
(08-08-2017, 04:34 AM)
OrangeAtlas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

What the hell that show was a SEQUEL to those movies?

Per Wikipedia:

In 2014, Syfy began airing the television series Dominion, a sequel set 25 years after the end of the film.

Penguin
(08-08-2017, 04:35 AM)
Penguin's Avatar
Josh Hartnett was a national treasure!

Though got to say turning down the chance to be Batman in Nolan's films will be one of those great Hollywood blunders.
Discotheque
Banned
(08-08-2017, 04:35 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

Oh definitely. Once Hollywood stopped trying to give him pure leading roles, he slotted back where he belongs doing great work.

Jai Courtney and the rest can do the same. They can be the dude on the last spot of love triangle, or the new guy who gets unceremoniously killed when the bad thing happens.

nah man. I think its being disingenuous to compare them to Farrell. You're right that they all seem to fare better as supporting players. But Colin has worked with some gawds, many of which would never even look at the other people on the list (and lets face it, Chris Evans too tbh) as like even a 5th choice for a supporting role. He's a good actor too when given something decent, leading or supporting.

These directors clearly see he's worth a shot.

He's not like on the level of Bale or something but man is hella reliable. early 00s he would have belonged there though no doubt. but he got better, as did his choice of projects.

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

Oh man, Josh Hartnett.

him and Orlando Bloom both put in okay at best performances opposite some titans in two Ridley Scott movies. can't believe a beast like Tom Hardy was just a scrub soldier in Black Hawk Down haha. Now he's the biggest thing about that movie.
Certinty
Member
(08-08-2017, 04:38 AM)
Certinty's Avatar
Chris Evans was awesome in Gifted and the movie itself was great. Shame more people didn't see it, what a lovely touching movie.
Discotheque
Banned
(08-08-2017, 04:49 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

My Youtube keeps fuckin' up cause Comcast is wack but they put out a new Kingsman TV spot and WHEW

lol yo that fucking Umbrella/Retracting claw though.

the casts Vaughn tends to assemble can be pretty nuts. Liking everyone on the American side on this one, Statesmen look great. Casting Julianne Moore as the bad guy is dope too.
Chamber
love on your sleeve
(08-08-2017, 04:52 AM)
Chamber's Avatar

Originally Posted by Discotheque

lol yo that fucking Umbrella/Retracting claw though.

the casts Vaughn tends to assemble can be pretty nuts. Liking everyone on the American side on this one, Statesmen look great. Casting Julianne Moore as the bad guy is dope too.

BronsonLee
Banned
(08-08-2017, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Discotheque

lol yo that fucking Umbrella/Retracting claw though.

the casts Vaughn tends to assemble can be pretty nuts. Liking everyone on the American side on this one, Statesmen look great. Casting Julianne Moore as the bad guy is dope too.

I loved that goddamn umbrella claw

I'm so stoked Firth is back in it but I have serious concerns some swerve/fuckery is about
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(08-08-2017, 04:52 AM)
shintoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Random Human

Shit, Orlando Bloom's in this one too.

More,

Jason Issacs, Jeremy Pivon, Jamie Lannister, Tom Hardy.

Black Hawk Down basically had double digits of famous actors you'll find in other movies, without realizing it.
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(08-08-2017, 04:53 AM)
My most memorable Josh Hartnett...anything was that he was Iago in a modern interpretation of Othello (Remember when that was a fad??).
hodayathink
Member
(08-08-2017, 04:54 AM)
hodayathink's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto

My most memorable Josh Hartnett...anything was that he was Iago in a modern interpretation of Othello (Remember when that was a fad??).

We got 10 Things I Hate About You from that fad, and I will be forever grateful for that.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(08-08-2017, 04:55 AM)
Grizzlyjin's Avatar

Originally Posted by hodayathink

We got 10 Things I Hate About You from that fad, and I will be forever grateful for that.

Speaking of movie to TV transitions that nobody remembers...
lightskintwin
Banned
(08-08-2017, 04:58 AM)
Remember when they tried with Armie Hammer as Lone Ranger. He's been doing good work as a supporting actor though including the the much buzzed about Call Me by your Name.
Random Human
They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
(08-08-2017, 04:58 AM)

Originally Posted by lightskintwin

Remember when they tried with Armie Hammer as Lone Ranger. He's been doing good work as a supporting actor though including the the much buzzed about Call Me by your Name.

Shit, that's another good pick. Although I think Hollywood stopped trying to make him happen pretty quick
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(08-08-2017, 05:00 AM)
shintoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by lightskintwin

Remember when they tried with Armie Hammer as Lone Ranger. He's been doing good work as a supporting actor though including the the much buzzed about Call Me by your Name.

Can we really say they tried, when he had his one role, then went back to small flicks and supporting roles.
Penguin
(08-08-2017, 05:00 AM)
Penguin's Avatar

Originally Posted by lightskintwin

Remember when they tried with Armie Hammer as Lone Ranger. He's been doing good work as a supporting actor though including the the much buzzed about Call Me by your Name.

We can mock the movie, but will always welcome it into my heart because of that nearly 10 minute version of the theme.

Hmm would Shia count as a successful experiment that ended up failing due to his own personal life?
Prompto
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:00 AM)

Poor Aaron Eckhart
Boke1879
Member
(08-08-2017, 05:00 AM)
Boke1879's Avatar
Man yall mentioning Josh Harnett takes me back.
hodayathink
Member
(08-08-2017, 05:01 AM)
hodayathink's Avatar
Which also reminds me of Julia Stiles being a thing, and looking at her filmography, doing 3 Shakespeare adaptations as the primary love interest in 2 years (O, 10 Things, and Ethan Hawke's Hamlet).

Originally Posted by Prompto

Poor Aaron Eckhart

At least Eckhart got Thank You For Smoking, which I love. I always imagined him settling into Jeremy Piven type supporting roles as the perpetual asshole.
Discotheque
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:02 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

We can mock the movie, but will always welcome it into my heart because of that nearly 10 minute version of the theme.

Hmm would Shia count as a successful experiment that ended up failing due to his own personal life?

apart from Force Awakens this was my favorite Disney produced live action movie of the decade tbh.

i'm glad hammer landed on his feet in the last little while. if he gets an oscar nomination for call me by your name that would be nuts.
broncobuster
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:03 AM)

Originally Posted by lightskintwin

Remember when they tried with Armie Hammer as Lone Ranger. He's been doing good work as a supporting actor though including the the much buzzed about Call Me by your Name.

Armie Hammer is great in Lone Ranger, though. He doesn't have a big franchise to hang his hat on, but he's one of the talented young actors in Hollywood.

Like how people say poor Andrew Garfield for losing Spider-Man but he's been doing great working on interesting projects.

edit: I'd mention Charlie Hunnam, but even he was pretty good recently in Lost City of Z.
lightskintwin
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Penguin

We can mock the movie, but will always welcome it into my heart because of that nearly 10 minute version of the theme.

Hmm would Shia count as a successful experiment that ended up failing due to his own personal life?

I liked The Lone Ranger, same with John Carter. Hell, I liked Tomorrowland. LOL
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(08-08-2017, 05:05 AM)
shintoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prompto

Poor Aaron Eckhart

Dude was set to blow after Dark Knight.

Sadly it happened to himself.


Originally Posted by hodayathink

Which also reminds me of Julia Stiles being a thing, and looking at her filmography, doing 3 Shakespeare adaptations as the primary love interest in 2 years (O, 10 Things, and Ethan Hawke's Hamlet).

Save The Last Dance!

She was the love interest of the late 90's
Discotheque
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:05 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Armie Hammer is great in Lone Ranger, though. He doesn't have a big franchise to hang his hat on, but he's one of the talented young actors in Hollywood.

Like how people say poor Andrew Garfield for losing Spider-Man but he's been doing great working on interesting projects.

Garfield has been killing it post Spiderman.

I think of all the Spideys he will manage to have the best career, already starred in Scorsese's best movie in prolly over 20 years. Fincher's GOAT too. The other two are decent actors as well but Maguire just faded into the aether and Holland looks like he'll be forever stuck looking like a 15 year old kid lol. thats gotta be limiting at some point.
Toa TAK
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Penguin

We can mock the movie, but will always welcome it into my heart because of that nearly 10 minute version of the theme.

My man
Random Human
They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
(08-08-2017, 05:06 AM)

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Like how people say poor Andrew Garfield for losing Spider-Man but he's been doing great working on interesting projects.

The only real career casualty of Spider-Man seems to be Dane DeHaan.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(08-08-2017, 05:07 AM)
Grizzlyjin's Avatar

Originally Posted by lightskintwin

I liked The Lone Ranger, same with John Carter. Hell, I liked Tomorrowland. LOL

Now you gotta add Britt Robertson to the list of failed Hollywood pushes. I think Fassbender has to go on the list too. He's legit box office poison outside of X-Men films

I'll sign off on both The Lone Ranger and Tomorrowland though. TL's biggest problem is the story isn't really as imaginative as it could be. Both good popcorn movies though. Better than Pirates has been in a decade.
BronsonLee
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:08 AM)
Tomorrowland's problems:

It makes George Clooney reallllly close to a pedophile
He should've just been the main character
For being Tomorrowland, only Hugh Laurie lives in it
It is incredibly violent
hodayathink
Member
(08-08-2017, 05:09 AM)
hodayathink's Avatar

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Armie Hammer is great in Lone Ranger, though. He doesn't have a big franchise to hang his hat on, but he's one of the talented young actors in Hollywood.

Like how people say poor Andrew Garfield for losing Spider-Man but he's been doing great working on interesting projects.

Andrew Garfield was doing interesting movies before Spidey (Never Let Me Go, Social Network), though, he just went right back to where he left off after it was over.

Originally Posted by Grizzlyjin

Now you gotta add Britt Robertson to the list of failed Hollywood pushes. I think Fassbender has to go on the list too. He's legit box office poison outside of X-Men films

I was about to say that I don't consider someone box office poison until they fail to open an actual good movie, but then I remembered that Steve Jobs biopic, and that it got good reviews, IIRC.
Discotheque
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:10 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar
https://youtu.be/_EMMH0NBcLU?t=7m33s

this track from Zimmer gave me chills in the theater during Lone Ranger. whew. for a brief moment it was like I was watching some Ennio Morricone-scored action adventure western movie in theaters.
lightskintwin
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:10 AM)

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

Tomorrowland's problems:

It makes George Clooney reallllly close to a pedophile
He should've just been the main character
For being Tomorrowland, only Hugh Laurie lives in it
It is incredibly violent

The only issue I had with Tomorrowland was it's ending.
broncobuster
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:12 AM)
Oh, I got one--Miles Teller. Dude was good in Spectacular Now and Whiplash.

Then you got a string of Divergent, Fantastic Four, and one of those forgettable boxing movies that wasn't Creed in that 2015 to 2016 period.
Toa TAK
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Discotheque

https://youtu.be/_EMMH0NBcLU?t=7m33s

this track from Zimmer gave me chills in the theater during Lone Ranger. whew. for a brief moment it was like I was watching some Ennio Morricone-scored action adventure western movie in theaters.

The whole soundtrack is fantastic. Got me sucked in from the very first track.
Prompto
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:14 AM)

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Oh, I got one--Miles Teller. Dude was good in Spectacular Now and Whiplash.

Then you got a string of Divergent, Fantastic Four, and one of those forgettable boxing movies that wasn't Creed in that 2015 to 2016 period.

War Dogs didn't do well either.

And it must have hurt to have been fired and replaced with Ryan Gosling in La La Land and see it have all that success.
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:14 AM)

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Oh, I got one--Miles Teller. Dude was good in Spectacular Now and Whiplash.

Then you got a string of Divergent, Fantastic Four, and one of those forgettable boxing movies that wasn't Creed in that 2015 to 2016 period.

Never liked Teller as an actor tbh.
lightskintwin
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:15 AM)

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Oh, I got one--Miles Teller. Dude was good in Spectacular Now and Whiplash.

Then you got a string of Divergent, Fantastic Four, and one of those forgettable boxing movies that wasn't Creed in that 2015 to 2016 period.

It was another one of those forgettable boxing movies, but I liked Southpaw and it did decent at the Box office.
kswiston
Member
(08-08-2017, 05:17 AM)
kswiston's Avatar
The movies that people like Miles Teller in happened in the midst of all that other crap.
jett
D-Member
(08-08-2017, 05:17 AM)
jett's Avatar

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

Can we add him to the list?

It's like a mantra: Jai Courtney, Taylor Kitsch, Luke Evans, Sam Worthington, Colin Farrell, Alex Pettyfer, Scott Eastwood, Joel Kinnaman...

Colin Farrell is better than the rest combined.
Discotheque
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:18 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar
I fuck with Antoine Fuqua movies. they're decent at best with some corny scenes and music choices (man is fucking with Eminem way too much) but I always have fun with them.

Magnificent Seven remake was an alright time.

I'm glad Equalizer: Home Depot Assassin is getting a sequel too.

Originally Posted by jett

Coin Farrell is better than the rest combined.

easily. was the best part of that fantastic beasts movie too.
BronsonLee
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:18 AM)
Southpaw was CRAP
Blablurn
Member
(08-08-2017, 05:19 AM)
Blablurn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prompto

Poor Aaron Eckhart

thats a name i havent heard in a long time
lightskintwin
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:21 AM)

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

Southpaw was CRAP

This post is CRAP.

I guess I liked the cast from Jake Gyllenhaal, Forest Whitaker, Rachel McAdams, and Naomie Harris. Hell I even liked 50 Cent in this.
MHWilliams
(08-08-2017, 05:21 AM)
MHWilliams's Avatar

Originally Posted by jett

Colin Farrell is better than the rest combined.

By a country mile.
Chamber
love on your sleeve
(08-08-2017, 05:22 AM)
Chamber's Avatar

Originally Posted by hodayathink

I was about to say that I don't consider someone box office poison until they fail to open an actual good movie, but then I remembered that Steve Jobs biopic, and that it got good reviews, IIRC.

Really loved that Steve Jobs movie, Fassbender should have taken Best Actor for that performance.
BronsonLee
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:22 AM)

Originally Posted by lightskintwin

This post is CRAP.

I guess I liked the cast from Jake Gyllenhaal, Forest Whitaker, Rachel McAdams, and Naomie Harris. Hell I even liked 50 Cent in this.

I liked the cast, but it felt really by the numbers for me. Also kinda felt like they were just piling on bad shit after bad shit on poor Gyllenboxer
kswiston
Member
(08-08-2017, 05:23 AM)
kswiston's Avatar
Colin Farrell is wasting his Disney money on the live action Dumbo.
Discotheque
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:24 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chamber

Really loved that Steve Jobs movie, Fassbender should have taken Best Actor for that performance.

Fassbender was great in there, mans hella talented. but somebody beat him to the punch with the GOAT Jobs performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM5f511ISnI
BronsonLee
Banned
(08-08-2017, 05:24 AM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

Colin Farrell is wasting his Disney money on the live action Dumbo.

He already cashed in on Disney with that Saving Mr. Banks movie, which was probably top 5 for me when it came out that year. I dunno what it is but I'm a sucker for the lower budget Disney stuff, especially the sports dramas like Miracle

Thread Tools