• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitalmindsoft wrote an open letter to Steam

Kifimbo

Source: http://digitalmindsoft.eu/?fi=9883

General News: Open letter to Steam!

We at Digitalmindsoft wanted to take a moment and thank you for creating a platform that has completely revitalized the PC gaming market and allows us to deliver exciting content to millions of players. Never before has it been so exciting and rewarding to develop games for the PC. Hit game Men of War: Assault Squad paid for its development costs during pre-order with Steam as the largest contributor! The game continues to sell and generated more than 5 times of its costs, thanks to your ability to promptly update and maintain our game. This dedication has made it possible for us to re-invest into our company, continually support our products and strive to make bigger and better games.

A marketplace can never be free of issues, but through excellent communication and response time, you've managed to find a solution to all our requests and helped us to provide the best possible experience for our players.

Therefore we are extremely excited to see Steam growing, as well as maintain its well-deserved status as a market leader and we look forward to a continued partnership as we launch future titles on your platform.

So in the name of our company and a large part of our player base, thank you so much for your great job!

Nabs

Congrats to the dev team. I like hearing good things about the PC market (TW2, Alan Wake, Dear Esther, Q.U.B.E, and so on).

hym

Banned
I can see how this praise can turn into a bad trend with Microsoft going to require developers to write public love letters to them on a monthly basis.

Omikaru

It's nice to see such games seeing success. It makes a nice change from reading about all the undeserving console bombas each month.

It also helps that Digitalmindsoft created a masterpiece with Assault Squad.

If you've any sense and enjoy strategy games, jump into MoW:AS.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Someone, who at I thought made a clever remark, once said when the PS3 launched in Sweden that it's biggest competition wasn't the Xbox but rather World of Warcraft. Taking the same kind of greater view I'm thinking that the biggest competition to the PS4/Xbox 3 is Steam and that unless Sony and Microsoft are moving in the same direction they're going to be left behind.

Phinor

I'd say a lot of their good sales is also due to them choosing a proper price point for the game. Not 60€, not 50€, not even 40€ but 30€ at launch. I wouldn't have bought it until Steam sales but thanks to them choosing the right price point, I jumped on board way before it was released.

I was also planning to skip Alan Wake and wait for summer deals but once I saw the GMG deal, I went for it. I'm not even sure I have time to play Alan Wake before summer deals but they got my money already.

.la1n

1067728_o.gif

Bubububu Valve is monopolistic evil corporation and they want to dictate control over the entire industry and they don't want games companies to be able to interact with their customers!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We ever going to get some sales numbers from you? :eek: I am quite curious.
Cosigned.

He's bound by NDA, IIRC.

Edit: There's this:
Valve gave me permission to say that my Steam sales' revenue total exceeded my lifetime Xbox Live Indies revenue total (about five months at that point) in the first SEVEN HOURS of release.

So yeah. = D

And he mentioned something about the game selling like crazy when it was a daily during the Steam Christmas sale, but I'm having trouble digging up the post.

Edit: Here it is:
I can't give specifics, but...

In the first ninety-six minutes of this sale I made more money than the previous thirty days combined

It's, like, raining platinum or some shit

now this is my kind of news. it's heartwarming to hear that assault squad has been so successful considering some of my favorite gaming memories in recent years are thanks to these chaps.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Ah I opened this thread expecting them to be angry about something, seems like that's often the case with "open letters" in the gaming industry. Pleasantly surprised to see they've found success on PC. Hopefully announcements like this encourage more of my favorite game creators to make their games available on PC (happy to hear about Kojima's MGS game coming to PC, btw).

DOA

"gj gaben" is THIS CLOSE to that message, though.

one letter should be replaced in that message.... can anyone guess which?

the first letter should be replace with the second letter of the alphabet

btw, i'm having now 407 games on my steam account. a proof that if something is done correctly, it can turn a pirate around

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Has anyone here ever mailed Gabe Newell? Did you got a response?

Mr_eX

I've been a console gamer my entire life but about a year ago I started playing PC games. Now I am honestly thinking about skipping the next generation of consoles because Steam is so great. There's just something about a service that is pro-consumer and treats its users with respect.

Orayn

I responded to a fake email from him that someone posted on /v/ in 2009, asking people to rank Portal 2, new Counter-Strike, and Episode 3 in order of which we wanted most. My email read, "1. Half-Life 2: Episode 3, 2. Counter-Strike 2, 3. Portal 2." His reply was, "Thanks."

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I always love reading about these little guys recouping their loss for their games really quickly and then proceeding to make solid profit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

There's a dedicated thread for this (well, e-mails to/from Valve employees in general) over at Facepunch. You'll have to register if you receive a message about locking out guests during periods of high traffic, because it'll never go away.

ShaneB

I've been a console gamer my entire life but about a year ago I started playing PC games. Now I am honestly thinking about skipping the next generation of consoles because Steam is so great. There's just something about a service that is pro-consumer and treats its users with respect.

I've played pc games throughout the years, but your thoughts pretty much echo my own. Discovered Steam sales Christmas 2010 and it snowballed from there. My consoles have now started to collect dust more and more regularly, and I'm seriously considering why I'm looking forward to the next gen consoles when I should just get a gaming pc.

Thanks Steam!

Everyone likes Steam and GoG because they support a narrative where you can succeed without being an asshole, without gouging your customers and by actually caring about games. That's like the complete opposite of some other guys who don't deserve to be named.

That being said, where the fuck is HL3? I'm starting to think I'll die of old age without seeing it.

Top Bottom