• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Scientist: "String theory may limit space brain threat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Article title is not a joke.

LEGIONS of disembodied brains floating in deep space threaten to undermine our understanding of the universe. New mathematical modelling suggests string theory and its multiple universes may just provide our salvation – and that could win the controversial theory a few more backers.

Physicists have dreamed up some bizarre ideas over the years, but a decade or so ago they outdid themselves with the concept of Boltzmann brains – fully formed, conscious entities that form spontaneously in outer space.

It may seem impossible for a brain to blink into existence, but the laws of physics don't rule it out entirely. All it requires is a vast amount of time. Eventually, a random chunk of matter and energy will happen to come together in the form of a working mind. It's the same logic that says a million monkeys working on a million typewriters will replicate the complete works of Shakespeare, if you leave them long enough.

Most models of the future predict that the universe will expand exponentially forever. That will eventually spawn inconceivable numbers of Boltzmann brains, far outnumbering every human who has ever, or will ever, live.

This means that, over the entire history of the universe, it is the Boltzmann brains' experience of the universe and not ours that is typical. That's a problem, because the starting point for our understanding of the universe and its behaviour is that humans are typical observers. If we are not, our theories begin to look iffy.

"It has to be more likely to be an ordinary observer than a Boltzmann brain," says Claire Zukowski at the University of California, Berkeley.

A particular problem is that most Boltzmann brains will exist in the far future when the universe is no more than an inky void, with a past indistinguishable from the future. This would make our experience of time's arrow highly unusual.

However, if we can demonstrate that the universe has a finite lifespan, that would deny Boltzmann brains the infinite time they need to outnumber us. String theory might be able to help, says Zukowski, who has been studying the problem as part of her PhD research with Raphael Bousso, also at Berkeley.

More at the link: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21829184.400-string-theory-may-limit-space-brain-threat.html

This is the most fucking bizarre thing I have read for like a year. No surprises it's from Berkeley.

Mock if old, but it will not save you from the space brains.

Dany

Banned
BrainSpawn.png

Cyan

Banned
Boltzmann brains aren't a Berkeley thing, dude. Though I'll grant that the notion is odd and not a little confusing.

What part of science says a Boltzmann brain exists or can exist? I'm assuming quantum physics? Doesn’t quantum physics say that anything is possible given enough time? Why is it more likely that a Boltzmann brain will pop into existence than say roger rabbit? Is It more likely? Are we going to be outnumbered by cartoon rabbits as well in the very distant future?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is just the fermi paradox on a grander scale with brains instead of galactic civilizations. Still a cool discussion.

"Eventually" is a pretty damn loaded term in cosmology.

Heat death is a thing (even localized if you buy into rate of change of max entropy allowable in theuniverse > rate of entropy) and calculations in anything considered a brain will require some kind of physical action to happen. So you're looking at the expected total of brains to form in the universe (given that creation of a brain is purely probalistic function vs. time) over a period of time in which they actually can theoretically form and function.

I really don't know about some of these theories, I really don't.

I one hand I understand that given an infinite amount of time it is technically possible for ANYTHING, no matter how unlikely, to eventually occur (assuming that it doesn't actively break the laws of physics as we know them).

But on the other hand this could mean that that EVENTUALLY the random light from a star bouncing off of a gas nebula could, from a certain angle, perfectly replicate the entire movie of Spider Man 3. And I don't want to live in a universe where that is possible

Eventually, a random chunk of matter and energy will happen to come together in the form of a working mind.

Doesn't this imply that eventually a Boltzmann brain-eating entity, say a Boltzmann zombie of some sort, would also randomly appear? If so I think we'll be safe.

moniker

I used to think about this stuff. Consciousness emerging in patterns. With enough nodes/computers (which would be the equivalent of neurons in the brain), maybe the internet will become conscious. Hell who knows, maybe it already is.

Veronica

Banned
It's the same logic that says a million monkeys working on a million typewriters will replicate the complete works of Shakespeare, if you leave them long enough.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Boltzmann brains aren't a Berkeley thing, dude. Though I'll grant that the notion is odd and not a little confusing.
Oh, I see, it's an argument that arose when steady-state cosmology was the rage. Nowadays our notion of the universe is finite but expanding with a corresponding increase in entropy rather than infinite and static which doesn't account for entropy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Doesn't this imply that eventually a Boltzmann brain-eating entity, say a Boltzmann zombie of some sort, would also randomly appear? If so I think we'll be safe.

This implies that everything will spontaneously pop into existence sooner or later, which is an implication of this stuff that doesn't usually seem to come up that much.

All I know is I want an Infinite Improbability Drive

Mudkips

Banned

Odd, confusing, and complete bullshit. Evolved brains are far, far, far, far, far more likely than Boltzmann brains, and would vastly outnumber them.

If the Universe is infinite in time and space, and if it has low enough entropy at certain points to pop a Boltzmann brain into existence you'll get an infinite number of Boltzmann brains, sure. They'll also be distributed so sparsely that statistically no evolved brain would ever have to worry about encountering one.

Idde

Most models of the future predict that the universe will expand exponentially forever. That will eventually spawn inconceivable numbers of Boltzmann brains, far outnumbering every human who has ever, or will ever, live.

Euh, doesn't this mean that it will eventually spawn an inconceivable number of human brains as well? Or at least more human brains than space brains? What are the chances of space brains forming, versus human brains? And aren't we like...7 billion brains ahead? Brains.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh, I see, it's an argument that arose when steady-state cosmology was the rage. Nowadays our notion of the universe is finite but expanding rather than infinite and static.

I don't think so, I think it's a relatively recent, uhh, theory. As long as the universe exists for an infinite amount of time, the probability of any physically possible event occurring approaches 1.

E.g. Boltzmann brains, that recent thing about metastable vacuums, Rihanna making a good album.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Euh, doesn't this mean that it will eventually spawn an inconceivable number of human brains as well? Or at least more human brains than space brains? What are the chances of space brains forming, versus human brains? And aren't we like...7 billion brains ahead? Brains.
Pretty sure these space brains are just arrangements of matter and energy that are capable of energy manipulation patterns analogous to what we consider thought. So they are more probable then spontaneous human brains in that spontaneous human brains are several degrees more complex due to all of the chemical and biological stuff. There probably is a way of making something with the function of a neuron, for example, that doesn't have to have all the complex biological molecules that make up a human neuron.

Monocle

If Boltzmann brains can be a thing, so can naturally occurring space dicks. Space dicks would definitely be less physically complex than Boltzmann brains, which means they should be more common. What if space dicks fill up space before Boltzmann brains have a chance to spawn? What then?

Someone please ask Michio Kaku about the looming threat of space dicks.

TUSR

Banned
In that case, all you need to do is sit down long enough and think about what it implies, and then, eventually, it will make sense.

that space brains are going to appear and threaten human life unless we discover that string theory is correc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom