• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'World scale VR', looks to be possible now.

llien

I'm skeptical about it's future, to be honest, but still kudos to people pushing for it, with attitude like mine (in this case) we'd never had any progress.

Actually got to try something like this except it was inside rather than outside - quite a big room though

The vr headset was attached to a small computer on your back and you had a pretty realistic feeling gun attached to it

I can't explain how immersive it was - it honestly felt like being in a holodeck - I was blown away - really excited for the future of this stuff

Grinchy

Banned
It would be cool to have a "laser tag" arena where you're in VR and shooting virtual guns. It would be able to keep track of whether you were hit, how much health you had, your score, ect just like any videogame would, but you had to actually move and get behind cover and stuff.

And since it's in VR, the weapons/arenas could change on the fly with a simple software setting. You could go from fighting with WWII guns to playing Overwatch in an instant.

Toe-Knee

It would be cool to have a "laser tag" arena where you're in VR and shooting virtual guns. It would be able to keep track of whether you were hit, how much health you had, your score, ect just like any videogame would, but you had to actually move and get behind cover and stuff.

And since it's in VR, the weapons/arenas could change on the fly with a simple software setting. You could go from fighting with WWII guns to playing Overwatch in an instant.

Don't sega have entire warehouses with vr for this sort of thing in Japan? I'm sure I saw something about it last year. I'll see if I can dig the article up.

Hale-XF11

Heh, I'm doing all this now in Rec Room, only I'm tethered of course. We're almost there.

Grinchy

Banned
Don't sega have entire warehouses with vr for this sort of thing in Japan? I'm sure I saw something about it last year. I'll see if I can dig the article up.

It seems like a no-brainer at this point if it works properly.

I wonder if it would be feasible for everyone to have wireless headsets that all just have video sent to them so that a big cluster of powerful PCs could run the simulation, leaving each user with less tech to have to carry around with them.

NahaNago

Laser tag was exactly what popped into my head as well it would be absolutely perfect for it.

Imagine the horror simulations you can create like seeing ghost and stuff in your own fucking house!

Wireless Tech needs to be a must for this to truly workout

But for Wireless tech to work as consumer level then battery tech needs to optimised in general

Imagine the horror simulations you can create like seeing ghost and stuff in your own fucking house!

Wireless Tech needs to be a must for this to truly workout

But for Wireless tech to work as consumer level then battery tech needs to optimised in general

Why the fuck would anyone want this?

wondermega

World space VR is a fascinating concept, but one which I feel must be necessarily very limited/controlled for a variety of obvious safety reasons. AR on the other hand, while still potentially dangerous, has a lot of application as well; I see it having a much brighter future.

I am very interested in a contained larger room-scale VR, absolutely. Obviously the display and tracking tech has been there for awhile now, I'm interested to see if anything particularly viable ever comes down the pipe to solve locomotion issues. I'm pretty tired of teleporting, it's lame and illusion-breaking.

Water

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7dtpmn/vr_without_natural_borders_i_was_outside_with/

Anyone else give something like this a go? Unfortunately video is in german and not in english.
That's not very exciting, it's just a larger "room" than what you get with Vive, limited by whatever natural obstacles you have, uneven ground that can make you stumble, and probably not very good obstacle recognition.

The biggest real advance we have in store in the near future is using a very large wireless roomscale setup that is as accurate as the current 4x3m Vive setups, but still fits in a large room like 10x10m. Based on what I've read, that's going to be enough space for redirected walking, you can have the illusion of walking endlessly in a straight line in the VR world while actually walking in circles within the area.

BANGS

Banned
Until the tech gets better, it still feels like a silly carnival gimmick. It's great to see how much progress has been made, but VR is one of those concepts that's either perfect or trash IMO, there is no in between...

Until the tech gets better, it still feels like a silly carnival gimmick. It's great to see how much progress has been made, but VR is one of those concepts that's either perfect or trash IMO, there is no in between...

You've obviously never used VR if you're calling it a silly carnival gimmick.

VR is already more than viable today and it's very common for people who hate VR and have never used it to dismiss it by saying it won't be worthwhile until it's the equivalent of where we are with cell phones these days.

Cell phones are definitely better/more affordable now than they were in the 80s but that doesn't mean that they weren't worth it until the Iphone X came out.

BANGS

Banned
You've obviously never used VR if you're calling it a silly carnival gimmick.

VR is already more than viable today and it's very common for people who hate VR and have never used it to dismiss it by saying it won't be worthwhile until it's the equivalent of where we are with cell phones these days.

Cell phones are definitely better/more affordable now than they were in the 80s but that doesn't mean that they weren't worth it until the Iphone X came out.

"VR is so spectacular that there is no way somebody could dislike or criticize it after using it."

Please... spare me the bullshit. I can't even believe there is such a thing as rabid VR fanboys...

And yes people enjoy VR today despite it's shortcomings. I can't. Do I really have to highlight "IMO"?

Top Bottom