• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, thank you cornbread and ascheroth for the warm welcome :)

I'll definitely take a look at MyAnimeList as per your suggestion.

When it comes to genres, I'm not fussy. I like action, drama, comedy, etc.
It might be easier to give an idea by mentioning the things I've watched in the last few years that I quite liked?

The stuff that I've seen recently that I really enjoyed without reservation, would be One Punch Man, Erased (on MAL it's called Boku dake ga Inai Machi), Usagi Drop, and just really recently, I watched some of Atom: The Beginning, which I loved (but I was a big Astroboy fan as a kid so that could just be the nostalgia talking). Attack On Titan has been pretty good from what I've watched so far, too. I watched about 20 episodes of that last year.

On the "good, but..." front, I enjoyed the music from 'Your Lie in April' immensely, and it had some funny moments, too, but I don't know if the high-school-teen-angst stuff interested me as much. I recently watched what seems to be considered a classic in Cowboy Bebop. I liked it well enough but maybe I expected too much from it - might have been a case of not being able to live up to the amount of hype it seems to have.

Classic/older anime I remember liking but I'm not sure I can trust my memory: Lupin the 3rd movies I remember liking, Dragon Ball Z had its moments (but oh so much filler), Pokemon was good in small doses (though it does tend to tell the same stories every generation). I watched Evangelion back in the day and there was stuff I liked (but also more teen angst which I found unappealing). Trigun started off funny and interesting but it got weird. I saw an episode of Samurai Champloo where they played baseball which was hilarious, so I think I want to watch more of that show.

So uh, that's a wall of barely-intelligible text. Sorry 'bout that.
Anyways, that's stuff I can think of that I've liked (with or without caveats). I've also seen maybe 5 or 10 full-length animated films - I'm not going to name them because I'm honestly pretty happy to try basically any animated feature-length film you recommend, since they are 1-2 hours long.

If anyone here's able to make sense of what I've written above, and has some recommendations, love to hear them. Thanks!

I would suggest

Owari no Serafu
Glasslip
Guilty Crown
God Eater
Hand Shakers
Free!

Jintor

Hey anime people.

I don't want to derail any conversations, just looking to get some suggestions, advice, etc., but I recognise that this might not be the best way to ask, so apologies if I'm messing up the joint. I don't intend to hijack the conversation, so I'm happy to get PMs rather than in-thread replies if it helps preserve the flow of discussion in this topic.

The short version is I'm looking for recommended sources of anime and recommended review sites where I can find out what's out there at the moment that's possibly something I'd like to watch.

The long version:

I live in Australia and have been using a streaming service called Animelab, and I've heard of Crunchyroll, though I understand that the AU content selection is quite limited. I am happy to pay for streaming services, and willing to spend on a VPN if it gets me access to more/better content. What I don't have, is a lot of free time, so ideally I'd also like to watch series that are low on "filler" content, like fan service and expository banter. Hence the interest in knowing of review sites, preferably ones that would inform me about whether a series has issues with filler slowing down the delivery of the storyline.

Again, apologies for asking for what are likely very common questions. Thanks for any info you can give!

crunchyroll is good. I use a chrome plugin that just proxies me through to the US so I can access their better selection tho. Sorry animelab

Welcome, Least100Seraphs. I sympathize with your question of recommendations because I struggled with that myself when I seriously startes getting back into anime a little over a year ago. I'd missed out on a whole decade of shows, so trying to decide how to get back in took a few bold leaps, but I feel my time has mostly been well spent.

Judging from your list, I gather the things that you gravitate to have either excellent animation (over say, a distinctive artistic style) and/or strong, character-focused writing (as opposed to sweeping plot-centric shows). With that in mind, here's a few personal recommendations, with a couple notes about them given I'm not certain what your limits for certain types of content might be.

Fate/Zero
I doubt I'll be the only one to recommend this, but it's still one of the best "shounen battle" style shows around, and arguably the best introduction to the Fate franchise. It's "realistic" take on the Holy Grail War is a sight to behold, not only as it tells a fantastic tale on its own, but how being a prequel to the very different Fate/Stay Night doesn't cause it to feel any less well-realized as its own entity. A word or warning, though: this is a brutal show. Exceptionallg violent, unrelentingly nihilistic, and home to some of the most awful characters I've seen in some time, it's not for the faint of heart. If you're okay with that, though, you'll be treated to an exceptionally animated, throughly enjoyable battle royale.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Given your love for Astro Boy and your familiarity with famous '90s sci-fi anime, I imagine you know of GitS. But if you haven't seen Stand Alone Complex, I think it would be worth your time. Structured like a classic police procedural, with some episodes tied to an overarching plot and the rest as stand alone, character-focused one offs, the show excels at challenging a lot of assumptions we might have about how we relate to each other in a world where everyone's brain is constantly online. It's one of the few sci-fi anime that only seems to get more relevant as we close the technological gap with the future the show presents. That said, your acceptance of the Major and the way she interprets the world (and whether or not you see it as nothing more than fanservice, which is a somewhat understandable point) may impact your enjoyment. Still worth a shot, though.

KonoSuba
Comedy is something in anime I find either works really well or falls completely flat. KonoSuba is one of those shows where everything just clicks into place, and as such it becomes greater than the sum of its parts. Now caveat: I've only seen the first season, but this is still one of the best comedies of the last few years because it utilizes archetypes so well in constructing its scenarios, which always save that punchline they've been building right foe the very end of the episode. Now, I will say, if you haven't seen much in the way of Isekai stories up until now, you might not get as much enjoyment from KonoSuba because you might not get as much from some situations as others. That and there is soms pretty explicit fanservice in some scenes (used for comic effect, of course, but its still there). I feel it's worth it, though, because it's so incredibly funny.

Mushi-Shi
Chalk this one up on the "everyone and their mother is going to recommend it" board, but truth be told, there just isn't much out there like Mushi-Shi. An episodic show that focuses on a different cast each show as the traveling Ginko wanders into their lives and proceeds to deal with their unique interactions with Mushi, a divine group of organisms, Mushi-Shi's a tranquil and reflective show that examines interesting relationships between people and the living embodiment of fate, all against an eternally rustic picture of rural Japan that feels exceptionally timeless. It's a real treat, even if it is exceptionally slow and melancohlic most of the time. Definitely watch at your own pace; it's not a show to be marathoned.

Please Tell Me! Galko-chan
This is probably the entry on this list that will get the most eyebrows raised, but I think this is one of the better shows of the last couple of years. It's a series of 10-minute shorts about the titular Galko-chan and her high school friends discussing feminine issues in a very 4koma fashion. What makes this show different is that Galko-chan is not a characture; rather, she feels like a real person. You can't easily put her or most of the cast into easily predictable roles, which makes the comedy feel fresh and have some semblence of meaning when the show tackles issues like ostracism, body shaming, the trials of puberty, and so on. It's a funny show, yes, but there's real grit to it as well that comes from someone who isn't relying on stereotypes for easy laughs, which is commendable.

Anyway, just a few recommendations. Whatever you choose to watch, hope you enjoy it. :)

KraytarJ

Tsukigakirei 12
Don't think I've ever said this before, but I'd rather have a show about what happened during the ending credits than what we actually got. Seeing all the progression in their relationship take place over some lame credit sequence when very little actually happened during the show doesn't sit well with me.

Level E - Completed: So this ended up being a pretty amusing series overall. I think the Super Sentai arc was the funniest group of episodes while the series tackling of a Transgendered character was definitely something. Not to sure how I felt about that two-parter. Vic Mignogna sounds like he was having a lot of fun voicing Prince Baka in the dub.

galko-chan is wonderful, i second it

I third it. Galko-Chan ended up being really good.

duckroll

Haven't watched Kado's lolfinale yet but...

Bahamut Virgin Soul - Episode 13

WOW! What a great episode. It's true that overall the season has been more padded than the first, and while it was enjoyable I can't deny that some people found that it was going in a circles a bit, but looks like they finally decided to pay it off with a big action episode and now they're leaving the capital for real! It only took 13 episodes for this to go into adventure mode. Lol.

Mahiro Maeda co-storyboarded this episode. Wut. :)

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
Woah, lots of stuff! Thanks everyone!

I'll go through Animelab (bought a 1-year sub) when I get home and start adding some of this stuff to "My Shows" as I find them. For most of the rest, hopefully they're not too hard to find on Crunchyroll.

Infinite_Respawn, I think you hit it mostly on the head with your idea of what I like. I have no problem with shows that are lighter on action but spend time developing characters. I don't see that as filler. As far as your comments on Fate/Zero's themes are concerned... well, I "enjoyed" Jin-Roh when I watched it not long ago (year or two at most), which was a pretty bleak story, so I think I'm ok with that. I'll give it a shot, for sure. I certainly have heard of GitS but have actually never watched it, so I'll definitely have to check that out. I plan to try and look at a lot of the big-name classics - I mean, they're classics for a reason, right? :)

Thanks again everyone! No excuses for me now, I'll have to get stuck in. I appreciate the advice!

Aki-at

Kado - End

ZLpWZHf.png
z5vE6XT.png
WcKLpt9.png

These faces probably do a good job of summarizing people's experience with Kado.

We are all going somewhere but at the beginning I never thought Kado's finale is where we'd end up at.

I guess make love not war is the right answer to everything.

Future Card Buddyfight X [Batzz]Episode 12 ENGDub
DDnHbtdVYAIU4NL.jpg:small

Whoa, we got Sakata to come back, though I wish he dueled instead of Wisdom, he is so much more interesting, even with the Chaos attribute.

Batzz back story seemed compelling especially with his friends and doing chores. Wonder who happened to control him when he didnt realize it.

Kado - End

We are all going somewhere but at the beginning I never thought Kado's finale is where we'd end up at.

I guess make love not war is the right answer to everything.

It's really quite incredible just how off the rails it went. I quite liked the first 6 episodes, and found 7 and 8 to be where it sorta seemed to be losing itself, but good grief even with how questionable 9,10, and 11 were I had no idea it'd get this stupid. I think even the people who lost their shit with Kado earlierl would still be absolutely astounded to see how bizarre it got in the end.

JulianImp

Hey, thank you cornbread and ascheroth for the warm welcome :)

I'll definitely take a look at MyAnimeList as per your suggestion.

When it comes to genres, I'm not fussy. I like action, drama, comedy, etc.
It might be easier to give an idea by mentioning the things I've watched in the last few years that I quite liked?

The stuff that I've seen recently that I really enjoyed without reservation, would be One Punch Man, Erased (on MAL it's called Boku dake ga Inai Machi), Usagi Drop, and just really recently, I watched some of Atom: The Beginning, which I loved (but I was a big Astroboy fan as a kid so that could just be the nostalgia talking). Attack On Titan has been pretty good from what I've watched so far, too. I watched about 20 episodes of that last year.

On the "good, but..." front, I enjoyed the music from 'Your Lie in April' immensely, and it had some funny moments, too, but I don't know if the high-school-teen-angst stuff interested me as much. I recently watched what seems to be considered a classic in Cowboy Bebop. I liked it well enough but maybe I expected too much from it - might have been a case of not being able to live up to the amount of hype it seems to have.

Classic/older anime I remember liking but I'm not sure I can trust my memory: Lupin the 3rd movies I remember liking, Dragon Ball Z had its moments (but oh so much filler), Pokemon was good in small doses (though it does tend to tell the same stories every generation). I watched Evangelion back in the day and there was stuff I liked (but also more teen angst which I found unappealing). Trigun started off funny and interesting but it got weird. I saw an episode of Samurai Champloo where they played baseball which was hilarious, so I think I want to watch more of that show.

So uh, that's a wall of barely-intelligible text. Sorry 'bout that.
Anyways, that's stuff I can think of that I've liked (with or without caveats). I've also seen maybe 5 or 10 full-length animated films - I'm not going to name them because I'm honestly pretty happy to try basically any animated feature-length film you recommend, since they are 1-2 hours long.

If anyone here's able to make sense of what I've written above, and has some recommendations, love to hear them. Thanks!

Okay, recommendation time again!
  • Mob Psycho 100: It's from the same author as One-Punch Man, so I think you'll like it. It's also a damn good action series on its own right.
  • Flullmetal Alchemist: A great shonen series. I watched FMA:Brotherhood, which follows the FMA manga instead of being coming up with its own conclussion like the first FMA anime did, and I really liked it. All characters have a purpose, and while they do go through pain and suffering the show's mostly optimistic in nature. It's a bit on the long side at 60-plus episodes, but I'd say it's worth your time.
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: A wacky battle shonen series that follows the misadventures of a bunch of guys with JoJo in their names. The latest adaptation by David Production is pretty nice. Be warned that it starts a bit generic, but once it gets to Parts 2 it begins getting really bizarre, and part 3 is where stands show up, which are some kind of spirits with special abilities that get more and more esotheric and crazy and result in some pretty creative "battles", such as gambling with souls as currency, or making people's guilty conscience literally weight down on them.
  • Black Lagoon: A Japanese sallaryman gets involved with a group of mercenaries who scrape by a living in a seedy port town somewhere our there. It's mostly action/drama oriented, with the main character being exposed to the dark underside of society, and the effects that has on him.
  • Flying Witch and Non Non Biyori: Two nice, slow and relaxing slice-of-life shows in case you want to watch something like that.

I made this list since I saw you like action shows, and the last two recommendations are good palate-cleaners in between all that raw adrenaline and stuff. I could also recommend you some shows in other genres and styles, but I decided to avoid name-dropping the same series over and over whenever someone asks for anime recommendations.

Editing to avoid double-posting:
Kado - End

Zetsubou-teki da ne~? Upupupupu!

...In all seriousness, I only watched it up to episode 7. While I do feel relieved in knowing I dodged a bullet after reading other people's impressions on later episodes, I also can't help but feel sorry for Kado because of how promising and out of the ordinary it looked at first (at least as far as anime plots are concerned).

Copper

Tsuki ga Kirei - Episode 12 FINAL

What a great series this has become. It has been a breath of fresh air every week to see these two develop their relationship. I'm glad we got to see it concluded. It is a shame this series could not have gotten a higher budget because it showed. I'll miss this.

1upsuper

I'm here to get some new recommendations from you guys. I'm itching for a good cyberpunkish anime to watch that isn't Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Cyborg 009, or Ghost in the Shell. Ideally I'm looking for something with a vibe like Policenauts/Snatcher or something like VA-11 HALL-A. My frames of reference are games since I'm still somewhat of an anime novice. I'll take anything from the 70s to now. Anything come to mind?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Narag

I'm here to get some new recommendations from you guys. I'm itching for a good cyberpunkish anime to watch that isn't Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Cyborg 009, or Ghost in the Shell. Ideally I'm looking for something with a vibe like Policenauts/Snatcher or something like VA-11 HALL-A. My frames of reference are games since I'm still somewhat of an anime novice. I'll take anything from the 70s to now. Anything come to mind?

Texhnolyze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3SzOzm8lmo
http://www.crunchyroll.com/texhnolyze

Copper

Psycho-Pass (season 1)
Ergo Proxy
Casshern Sins

Little Witch Academia - Four episodes in so far, and I think the show is okay, about as good as the original OVAs were. It honestly gives off the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" vibe that I found to be pretty charming. If I have a complaint it's that Trigger goes a little full in on making Akko untalented. Like, there's something to be said about trying to have the lead be unskilled to make them relatable, but I keep finding myself question how she even got accepted into the school when she can't even perform basic level magic.

I wonder if there is merit in judging a series on a per episode basis. If a series really fails to live up to its potential, but the early episodes were excellent, is the show itself worth watching? Since a show - ideally - maintains two narrative arcs at once, the series itself and each individual episode, and both have their own beginning, middle, and end it seems like their could be at least some merit to saying "Watch X series because a few of the episodes were excellent". But I don't really hear that all too often as opposed to the more common "It shit the bed at the end so it's probably not worth watching" or some variation.

I'm also really, really tired and on a plane leaving the already too hot Europe and going to the undoubtedly even hotter Middle East so I might just be rambling.

Ah, perfectly on time to be relevant to my main post, Ergo Proxy is a series that starts off excellent but stumbles and loses its footing about halfway through. I think it's still worth watching though.

Darker than Black is an excellent series done by Bones. It has its own flaws as well, but overall I enjoyed it in entirety.

Metropolis, Spriggan, and Time of Eve are all excellent anime films set in tech-noir worlds.

Kaiba and Denno Coil are light cyberpunk.

Aeon Flux and the Animatrix also fit the bill but they both are kind of hybrids of American and Japanese mediums.

Memories
is a compilation of shorts co-directed by Tensai Okamura (who directed Darker than Black which I mentioned above). Robot Carnival and Neo Tokyo are similar but less refined compilations.

Gunslinger Girl was surprisingly okay as well. Barring the whole "little girls forced to do evil" setup that is so overused. The narrative is fairly innocuous and the action scenes are well-done. It's about the usual for a Madhouse series that most people don't know about. This is kind of a "If you really run out..." suggestion.

Just to throw out some things other people might not.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kado Episode 12:

Right then. that pretty much sucked on both eggs and toast and I am not sure which aspect of failure pisses me off the most but yea this one really did rot all of its potential away into convention and cliche.

JulianImp

I'll be seconding the first season of Psycho Pass.

I wonder if there is merit in judging a series on a per episode basis. If a series really fails to live up to its potential, but the early episodes were excellent, is the show itself worth watching? Since a show - ideally - maintains two narrative arcs at once, the series itself and each individual episode, and both have their own beginning, middle, and end it seems like their could be at least some merit to saying "Watch X series because a few of the episodes were excellent". But I don't really hear that all too often as opposed to the more common "It shit the bed at the end so it's probably not worth watching" or some variation.

I'm also really, really tired and on a plane leaving the already too hot Europe and going to the undoubtedly even hotter Middle East so I might just be rambling.

I guess you could analyze individual episodes if you're looking for technical aspects (ie: animation, backgrounds, storyboarding or framing), but I'm mostly in it for the story, so I tend to not like it when shows betray my expectations in ways that don't even make sense in restrospect (ie: Kado starting as a show about human contact and negotiation with a being from a higher plane of existence, and ending with a generic battle among two of those beings).

For Erased I'd say I have a similar issue... I can't honestly tell someone some episodes, because the whole point about figuring out a crime that's the cornestone of the story isn't realized unless you watch the whole thing, and if you do you'll inevitably come across the bad parts that it had in later episodes.

Erased is a show in particular that I think of when it comes to having very good episodes. I think it was the 3rd episode in that series that really stood out from almost anything that had came out that year. The pacing and acting felt like it was very close to perfect. Not to mention the amount of visual motifs combined with the overall quality and execution of the animation made it really seem like the series was going to be the next classic. Unfortunately, it turned out the bar was just too far out of reach but I almost feel like people should watch the series anyways just to get that high from the first four or five episodes.

Edit: Your post is much more concise now. :p

Little Witch Academia - Four episodes in so far, and I think the show is okay, about as good as the original OVAs were. It honestly gives off the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" vibe that I found to be pretty charming. If I have a complaint it's that Trigger goes a little full in on making Akko untalented. Like, there's something to be said about trying to have the lead be unskilled to make them relatable, but I keep finding myself question how she even got accepted into the school when she can't even perform basic level magic.

I mean they explained that. School really fucking needed the money, so they had to start letting in people with no experience like Akko

JulianImp

Erased is a show in particular that I think of when it comes to having very good episodes. I think it was the 3rd episode in that series that really stood out from almost anything that had came out that year. The pacing and acting felt like it was very close to perfect. Not to mention the amount of visual motifs combined with the overall quality and execution of the animation made it really seem like the series was going to be the next classic. Unfortunately, it turned out the bar was just too far out of reach but I almost feel like people should watch the series anyways just to get that high from the first four or five episodes.

Edit: Your post is much more concise now. :p

Yeah, go ahead and watch it if you're into well-directed single episodes, but I wouldn't feel right recommending a paragraph out of a whole book, or a single episode out of a whole series. Just like I can still recommend TTGL in spite of that one episode with awful animation, I can't bring myself to recommending Erased for the handful of great episodes it had due to the cornerstones of the series being a badly thought-out whodunnit, an awful resolution and cliffhangers ad nauseam.

Narag

Symphogear GX 6

Carol's special ability seemed to be curbstomping the opposition so this ep was a surprise.

Symphogear GX 7

this cour is so shounenbro that it hurts (in a good way)

:lol @ the final scene tho

Yeah, go ahead and watch it if you're into well-directed single episodes, but I wouldn't feel right recommending a paragraph out of a whole book, or a single episode out of a whole series. Just like I can still recommend TTGL in spite of that one episode with awful animation, I can't bring myself to recommending Erased for the handful of great episodes it had due to the cornerstones of the series being a badly thought-out whodunnit, an awful resolution and cliffhangers ad nauseam.

I wrote out a fairly long post, started thinking about what I wrote, erased it, and then wrote a new one which I decided was pretty long winded and unnecessary so I backed out of the page losing it forever just as I decided it wasn't that bad and worth posting.

So I guess the position I settled on is the boring and obvious, "It depends." I definitely don't see myself recommending Erased to anyone, and I also don't see myself holding back from recommending Gurren Lagan for the reasons you mentioned. On the other hand, I just told someone to go watch Ergo Proxy despite the show running in circles and ending with so many unanswered questions. I think the question itself was pretty good (at wasting time) though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Most stuff from the past 10+ years is not really episodic by nature, so a few promising or good episodes doesn't really mean very much. The storytelling is often geared in such a way that major payoffs really do not come until much later on, and if the narrative does not build to something worthwhile the individual pieces aren't worth anything either. Suspension of disbelief can be weighted more heavily to the early sections of a story as the reader/viewer gives a story time to develop and for the world to establish a rule set. If these people buy into something overlooking its shortcomings they are not going to recommend the series when it betrays the benefit of the doubt that it has been lent. Also consider that the full view of a story recontextualizes all pieces of it, so earlier episodes can often be reflected on in a much harsher manner if its character motivations or plot points turn out to be dubious or downright stupid. A piece of wood may float on its own but if it's built into a boat with holes the entire thing sinks.

Tsuki ga Kirei 8/10
Such a refreshing romance anime. It never felt inappropriate (okay, well, except the teacher post-credit segments...that was really out of place), the characters were realistic and well fleshed out, the relationship moved at a reasonable pace, technology was incorporated into the romance in a realistic way, and there was drama without having to resort to cliches like senseless misunderstandings and love triangles. This last episode I wasn't really sure what was going to happen, but I can really appreciate how they gave them a happy ending without everything going their way.

Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys 6/10
Pretty good and entertaining for a short.
I thought for sure they would reveal she was a girl in the end, but guess not.
All the bro friendship was fun to watch.

Fukumenkei Noise
6/10
A surprisingly fun show with some fun music if you can get past the awful CG they use during the concert scenes. Admittedly Nino is somewhat unlikable. I feel like Nino shouting "Momo" is the new Inuyasha shouting "Kagome" (and vice/versa).

Granblue Fantasy The Animation 7/10
That last episode's
gender bending
seemed really unnecessary. But this was a pretty good video game adaption and a fun fantasy anime with a unique art style, even if the concepts it presented weren't particularly new.

ID-0 7/10
A series that went really under the radar this season, which is unfortunate, because it had an interesting sci-fi plot. The CG was also really good, robots really lend themselves well to CG.

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? 7/10
You knew what was going to happen the entire time, but it didn't make it any less sad. I wasn't entirely sold on the idea of Chtholly and Willem together by the end - he still seems more fatherly - but I accepted it. The ending seemed so sudden though.
What actually happened to Willem and Nephren? Was Chtholly reborn or something? Is that a thing that happens?
I guess that's a pretty typical LN ending though - the end of one little arc but overall, not much if any plot finished.

Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho 7/10
Beastfallen bros! Pretty standard fantasy stuff, but I had fun with the character relationships.

Just finished Steins;Gate too. Such a good series, it truly deserves a 10. I can't believe it took me so long to watch it haha. I'm so used to watching anime with weaker narratives that introduce characters and ideas that never affect the plot that I wasn't expecting so many things to come full circle. The opening changed in episode 23, right? Or am I going crazy?

Most stuff from the past 10+ years is not really episodic by nature, so a few promising or good episodes doesn't really mean very much.

This is actually probably the crux in why I even had the thought. I've been going back and exploring older anime and also doing a decent amount of writing on Western Television. Anime tends to have longer, more drawn out and less narrative arcs than its contemporary Western counterparts. I suppose, with that in mind, the die falls to a holistic view of the series being more productive than an episodic one. For the most part.

Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho 7/10
Beastfallen bros! Pretty standard fantasy stuff, but I had fun with the character relationships.

I felt a little betrayed by this series, to be honest. Up until now, White Fox has never made a bland series. Akame ga Kill had its issues but it certainly wasn't bland. This was just so... average.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot that Utawarerumono was a series. And that White Fox did the SoniAni series.

TUSR

Banned
Granblue Fantasy The Animation 7/10
That last episode's
gender bending
seemed really unnecessary. But this was a pretty good video game adaption and a fun fantasy anime with a unique art style, even if the concepts it presented weren't particularly new.
Gender bending? You are aware that this video game allows the player to choose the gender of the main character between Gran and Djeeta?

Aside from reroll accounts, I'd say a majority of the players play as Djeeta. Gran being the main character, at least gave us an episode of "fan service" which players recognized as a Fate episode of one of the popular character recruitments.

*disclaimer I bought the 7600¥ for the swim suit

Kado 12

Episode 1

"oh man a smartly written sci fi show about first contact, can't wait."

Episode 12

[a scene by scene sci fi recreation of the Naruto and Sasuke battle]

yami4ct

'Finished' Bakemonogatari only to find out the last 3 episodes were ONAs not on crunchyroll.

Boy. Monogatari has to be one of the most overcomplicated series to watch that I've ever experienced. It's all so confusing. I'm interested to see if/how it develops after the first season, because going off of how relatively simple that is it's kind of extra weird that it seems like it was released in such a messy way. I honestly don't know how you squeeze so much more content out of this thing.

Jarmel

Banned
Since I'm stuck in an autograph line until 8am tomorrow, might as well detail my impressions of the FMP IV panel and PV (it wasn't really a PV so much as collection of shots with no dialogue).

For starters, the panel was run by Funimation which leads me to believe they're going to eventually license it or try to barring Netflix/Amazon shelling out the big bucks.

Q/A section with Funimation staff:

Reaction to finding out making more-
Gatoh: Been about 12 years now so I was a little worried but we'll find a way to make it work
Shikidouji:I was worried that people had forgotten the series.

What was some of your initial inspiration for the series?-
Gatoh: It's been twenty years, I forgot. Someone proposed to me that I do something related to school. Something like that

What brought you to this property?-
Shikidouji: I had a relationship with Fujimi already.

Kaname and Sousuke are very different people how did you make them mesh( paraphrase)?-

Gatoh: There is a Japanese comedy style called manzai(spelling?), in which characters play off each other. Romantic tension took a back seat and wanted to focus on comedy.
Shikidouji: In the original version, Kaname had black hair but she changed it because she thought it wouldn't work that well for comedy. She was worried Gatoh wouldn't approve but he signed off.
Gatoh: I changed the scripts after I saw her drawings. It was pretty easy.

Any stories about making the original novels?-

Gatoh: Shikidouji added Sousuke's scar of her own volition. In the novel, I never addressed his scar until the very last episode(probably means novel). I finally decided to address it. Thought fans would have more issues with it but they accepted it.
Shiki: I added it because I felt it needed it.

Gatoh: Originally when I described Kaname in the novel she had a ponytail.
Shikidouji: Initially she had a ponytail but when it was serialized, another protagonist in the magazine had black hair and a ponytail. So I took the ribbon in her ponytail and moved it down.

About Invisible Victory-
Gatoh: No more expository episodes. Full throttle. It'll follow the original work pretty closely.

Invisible Victory PV 1-

Initially I thought they were showing old footage as the designs looked so close to the original but I realized the difference after a bit. Horuichi kept the designs very much in line with the original although they are tweaked a bit.

There was a lot of CGI in the backgrounds. There are three scenes that stand out to me, a hanger siren going off, a shot of a building exploding, and characters talking in a classroom at Jindai (I think it was Ono D and the teacher possibly along with Kyouko). The backgrounds in all three of these looked bad or rather not good. The building lacked a bunch of detail along with being CGI and the siren obviously looked CGI. The background at the school was really plain. It definitely doesn't look to be up to KyoAni's current standards background art-wise as seen in Euphonium or say Hyouka. I would have to rewatch Fumoffu and TSR to see how those look as the background art might be the same level there as KyoAni hadn't developed into the beast it is today. There was a shot of Tessa in a grassy area, from the prologue of Continuing on My Own, which looked nice from a background aspect.

The character art is a mixed bag as there were a few shots of Tessa on the Tuatha de Dannan with Mardukas standing next to her that looked great. Tessa in general looked the same as the KyoAni version and so did Mardukas. The lighting in that scene was solid as it had the emergency/combat lines on. The designs don't look worse but the lighting makes the show look more modern and at times a bit flat. I recently rewatched the ending fight in TSR and the character lighting in that was fantastic. The school scenes don't have a visual oomph to them and so it looks sort of inbetween the Gonzo and KyoAni version. The Tuatha and Tessa prologue scene look much better. There was a shot of Kurama, the new villain, that was a semi closeup where the lighting was somewhat flat.

I wasn't particularly wow'd until I saw the Arbalest. Oh boy. Even the teaser image doesn't do it justice. I would have to rewatch the scene but it looked like it had more detail than even that key visual. Seeing the Arbalest's eyes make a huge difference that can't be understated. Detail and visual-wise, this is easily the best the Arbalest has ever looked. Flat out blew me back. Just looks insane. I need to see it moving around though to see if Nishii's 2D/CGi approach is distracting in motion. It reminds me of Nishii's 'Hyper Detail' work that he did for the Yamato 2199 artbooks. Xebec is clearly prioritizing the mechs. There was also a shot of the TDD underwater moving towards the camera and it looks better than the KyoAni/Gonzo versions but that's to be expected. Doesn't look embarassing anymore.

Color design-wise it's a mix of Argevollen and Keijo. Kurtz's hair has a similar shade to Mio's from Keijo. It's much more colorful than I anticipated. Photography-wise it doesn't look like Aoki or of his caliber. That said this was a bunch of stuff they likely threw together at the last minute so photography-wise it might look a lot more polished later. We didn't see any UI shots either. I'm wondering that it might be Morooka who is Directory of Photography though instead of Aoki which would be a shame.

PV 2- (not really)

They showed a bunch of settei of different mechs, characters, and backgrounds.

They showed the settei for Kurama and Fowler(another villain). Kurama's design isn't particularly interesting although he's clearly based off of Leon in The Professional. Fowler was shown in his pilot suit and looks much cooler. A few girls were gasping haha. Fowler looks like a younger version of Gauron.

The backgrounds here in the settei looked a lot better than what was shown in the earlier PV. There was a shot of an Arm slave next to a Japanese Shinto style temple. One of a warzone next to a blown out church (not 100% sure it was a church) overlooking a boxed in courtyard. Then there was one of a busy market in south east Asia where a dilapated Arm Slave (I think it was a Savage) was literally built into the marketplace. I really liked that shot as it gives a sense of history to the world in the way the dead Kaiju in Pacific Rim were used. All of these were just settei though so not sure how it will look in finished product.

They showed a number of mechs such as the Belial and Cyclone along with a few others. The Cyclone is Sousuke's machine after the Arbalest gets wrecked and looks like a heavily modified Savage with a white and yellow color scheme. The Belial looks cool as expected but there wasn't a lot of poses for it shown. A bunch of other mechs were shown. I personally didn't like the colors shown for those mechs as I thought they were a bit too bright/colorful and sorta reminded me of the colors of the mechs in Akito. That's a really subjective thing though and they'll probably look different in the acttal show than on a white piece of paper.

Also of note were the dates shown on the settei as they indicate the timeframe of the production. A couple of background settei were from mid to late last year and I think the Belial settei was from April.

-----

My overall impression is that the mechs look really damn good but the character art needs another pass at to look great with more emphasis on shadowing. It should be noted though that they didn't show any of the scenes related to the attack on Jindai as they're probably trying to save those for spoiler reasons. So we were shown the 'boring' stuff story-wise. They didn't really show any scene with a lot of motion so I can't speak for the actual animation quality. I am concerned about the backgrounds as there was too much CGI shown but the stuff shown in those settei looked really good so hopefully the push back to Spring 2018 allows them to go all in on that.

The non-military scenes look between Gonzo and KyoAni tier while the military shots were noticeably better and were definitely closer to TSR level. There was a quick shot of Sousuke in Arbalest that I literally thought was from TSR. That external Arbalest shot though is beyond even TSR.

I'm wondering if the foreign locales will look better than their Japanese counterparts. That was the case with Fafner Exodus and Yamato 2199 (in a way).

Lmao

For what it's worth the finale was extremely entertaining but on the other side of the spectrum of where the show started. Not exactly the dark city ending you wanted but it made up for me sticking with it when I'm giggling at what they did with the characters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tsukigakirei is basically the first third of 5cm per second.

phaze

'Finished' Bakemonogatari only to find out the last 3 episodes were ONAs not on crunchyroll.

Boy. Monogatari has to be one of the most overcomplicated series to watch that I've ever experienced. It's all so confusing. I'm interested to see if/how it develops after the first season, because going off of how relatively simple that is it's kind of extra weird that it seems like it was released in such a messy way. I honestly don't know how you squeeze so much more content out of this thing.

Well it's still mostly somewhat episodic arcs with burgeoning cast for one, not that hard to do more of that and there's also a sort of main plot starting in Mono Second Season.

For the sake of being truthful let me edit my statement

"a scene by scene recreation of what yaoi shippers wanted the Sasuke and Naruto battle to be"

Gay sex in my animu ? Groundbreaking.

Soul Eater 1-3

Absolute swill. I guess since they are the prologue I'll watch a few more before casting final judgement but as of now my verdict is, "Watch any of the numerous shows that have less obnoxious characters, more impressive animation, and aren't completely forumulaic." And I think formulaic is the word for the show so far. The jokes are formulaic. The fights are formulaic. The overabundance of sound effects are formulaic. The characters are formulaic. The music even manages to be formulaic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom