• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

gunbo13

I have to admit that it is going to take some time to get through Way of the wise. Biggest adjustment I had to make was with bosses and my items breakdown. In the past it was pretty simple with weakness, buffs, and slaughter. Now strategy = immobilize and restrict boss so you don't get hit ONCE. It has that Dante Must Die feel, which is rewarding while damn frustrating. Dojo missions are totally a PITA with the wooden swords. Whack whack whack.

Have not even got to DLC2 and just cleared out 4 continents on WotW.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Doesn't it say in that article there IS a new a difficulty level?

That's not how I interpreted it:

a new mode called The Abyss. Here, the strongest warriors can test their skills in a perpetual battleground.
This new mode offers epic battles and unique challenges for the most skilled players. We’ll have more to reveal on this mode before launch.

Sounds like this new mode is more of a boss rush/enemy rush/endless type of mode, rather than just a new difficulty setting on NG+howevermany

Baalzebup

That's not how I interpreted it:

Sounds like this new mode is more of a boss rush/enemy rush/endless type of mode, rather than just a new difficulty setting on NG+howevermany
Ya missed this part:
As always, this DLC will provide you with the usual suspects to complete your Nioh experience — new Yokai, new characters, a new difficulty level and new Guardian Spirits.

gunbo13

How can you up the difficulty beyond one hit kills? Make your character sick with constant health drain? Turbo mode?

I'd actually be down for that last one.

Fandangox

How can you up the difficulty beyond one hit kills? .

Well most bosses in way of the wise can already kill you in one hit with most of their attacks, so honestly not really sure what else can they do. I would have much preferred another weapon instead of a fifth difficulty.

Fandangox

Do some sets in the Ethereal rarity don't have the new Ethereal grace-whatever bonus? I manage to get 3 Yatagarasu pieces (2 armors and the ravenwing) on Ethereal rarity, but they don't have the new bonus most ethereal pieces seem to have, including some that are already part of a set like Strategist of Legend.

Even though i'm on the 4th area of the map i feel like i got so much to learn.

Once in a while I've summoned people to help me and they completely wreck enemies in 1 or 2 swipes of a sword while it might take me 5+ swipes.

As a sword user and Chain-blade user what weapon should i be looking for and what stats should i work on (i'm at level 67 i think)

Baalzebup

Even though i'm on the 4th area of the map i feel like i got so much to learn.

Once in a while I've summoned people to help me and they completely wreck enemies in 1 or 2 swipes of a sword while it might take me 5+ swipes.

As a sword user and Chain-blade user what weapon should i be looking for and what stats should i work on (i'm at level 67 i think)
Note that there is no scaling or balancing in the summons. You might get people who are lv 400+ and using gear with attack and defense values more than triple of what you have.

Note that there is no scaling or balancing in the summons. You might get people who are lv 400+ and using gear with attack and defense values more than triple of what you have.

Damn, well at least that's good to hear as I thought the summons were in my level range and got great weapons and I was just shit haha

Mephala

So I just completed the level with the
massive skeleton boss summoned from sacrificing all the soldiers on the battlefield.
I find myself getting a bit bored of the game to be honest. I am no longer wowed by the enemies or the combat. It still feels good but it lost its freshness somewhere and I find myself looking to fight something challenging and fun but all the enemies for whatever the reasons aren't fun to fight for me.

I've been using a mix of sword, dual swords and spears only I've respecced into pure spear recently since I found I was going up against some sponges and my spread stats were not helping. As it is I still find enemies a bit spongy but that may be because I'm level 85 and the story missions are recommending level 115 or some other nonsense level. I've never lost interest halfway in a Souls or NG game nor Bayo or Revengence or most other action RPGs I've enjoyed. The story certainly isn't helping. Any advice? Any tips? Should I just struggle onwards in the story? Should I try and do some side missions and maybe level up a bit?

Soar

For what it's worth, you do not need to be at the mission level. The gap widens considerably in NG+ even. Your gear, and use of jutsu will influence your performance and fun more to be honest. Are you using any set bonuses from your armor? You can also reforge your weapons to get rid of the useless bonuses, of which there are plentiful.

Try to land more critical hits by ambushing as much as possible. Yokais > horns/face, humans > headshots with ranged weaponry. I had a lot of fun parrying with the skills, there's a lot of variety with each weapon types.

With regards to enemy variety and story, well I never had issues with those so can't help you there. The dlcs if you have them do shake things up a bit and have better level design IMO.

Caim

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/71cv9f/highres_scans_for_dlc3_bloodsheds_end/

The scans are in the reddit post since I can't post them here.

DLC3 Info:

Abyss Mode is a mission with infinite stages with boss fights at the end of each one.
You start with 4 status ailments that are cleared by completing sub areas.
Loot gets better as you progress and there is 3 player coop.

Kusarigama and Dual Swords seem to be getting new skills along with new Ninjutsu and Omnyo.

Janomecho (Yoshitsugu's guardian spirit) will finally be obtained, plus a new fox spirit.

No mention of any new weapons unfortunately.

The second scan in the bottom right almost looks like
Ryu Hayabusa in his NES costume.

xuchu

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/71cv9f/highres_scans_for_dlc3_bloodsheds_end/
The second scan in the bottom right almost looks like
Ryu Hayabusa in his NES costume.

RG0BS1U.gif

Looks like he's using inferno ninpo too

Soar

Great stuff. Always wanted to see what's Mothgirl all about. Excited about the new skills.

On another note, just finished DLC2 and the last boss was a bit anticlimatic given his fame. Got him down first attempt, in comparison Masamune gave me way more trouble than Yukimura.

Soar

Yeah was referring to Janame-cho. Also interesting bit that because Maria
doesn't have any spirit guardians she also doesn't have any weaknesses.

Soar

Maybe it's just a side mission duel like how they dealt with Sasaki Kojiro. You get the skin once you managed to defeat him.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I would return once all 3 dlcs are released but tbh I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount + other games taking priority. Hoping when I get back to it online won't be dead.

xuchu

Maybe it's just a side mission duel like how they dealt with Sasaki Kojiro. You get the skin once you managed to defeat him.

Most likely it's gonna be a side mission duel like Tachibana or Kojiro. Here he is using inferno ninpo from Ninja gaiden 2:

20170922-nioh-18.jpg

Hope he puts up more of a fight than Kojiro.

Haven't touched this in like 50 days b/c I got hooked on PUBG. I'm afraid I'm going to come back and just get absolutely murdered. Last time I played one of the training missions (regular difficulty) kicked my ass for a good like 2 hours straight, it was really frustrating. Think I might just stick to story missions and not worry about becoming a god at the game. So far what I had played I enjoyed.

Baalzebup

Trailer up for Bloodshed's End. There was a bit of gameplay shown at TGS as well but nothing super important.
There are quite a few things you can pick up from that. For example Hideyori seems to use some moves that no NPC enemy has used to date, namely Backwave and Shrike. That might be pretty damn interesting. And naturally Yodogimi has to have that form, seeing as we already have Orochi in the game.
I was referring to the ~15min stream they did with one of the game directors, where they basically just showed part of a level including the bird boss and what looked like the entrance of the Abyss - all stuff that had been shown in promo images. The trailer is pretty dense with info.
Oh, I was just commenting on the trailer itself. I wasn't referring to your comment, though I do realize it may have seemed like that.

Milijango

There are quite a few things you can pick up from that. For example Hideyori seems to use some moves that no NPC enemy has used to date, namely Backwave and Shrike. That might be pretty damn interesting. And naturally Yodogimi has to have that form, seeing as we already have Orochi in the game.

I was referring to the ~15min stream they did with one of the game directors, where they basically just showed part of a level including the bird boss and what looked like the entrance of the Abyss - all stuff that had been shown in promo images. The trailer is pretty dense with info.

So I've cleared the first region on Nioh, doing fairly well so far in so much that I'm beating most bosses in a couple of tries but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be focusing on in order to not make the game incredibly hard/grindy down the line?

So far I'm focusing on using a mix of a single sword and axe (I sometimes swap out the sword for a spear depending on what drops I get). I've been mainly focusing on upgrading strength/stamina/body with the other stats levelled just to the point I need them at for gear. Combat wise I've mainly just been using the main 2-3 hit combo strings while unlocking a couple of different moves, though I rarely find myself deviating from the standard 2-3 hit combo's as they are really effective against all the enemies/bosses I've faced so far.

Also - with regards to the blacksmith, I've not really done any forging etc. yet. Is this something I should focus on? I've been getting pretty much all my gear from summoning the spirits of deceased players and defeating them, its yielded better drops compared to the main missions and nothing I can forge yet from the blacksmith comes close level/damage/defence wise.

Baalzebup

So I've cleared the first region on Nioh, doing fairly well so far in so much that I'm beating most bosses in a couple of tries but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be focusing on in order to not make the game incredibly hard/grindy down the line?

So far I'm focusing on using a mix of a single sword and axe (I sometimes swap out the sword for a spear depending on what drops I get). I've been mainly focusing on upgrading strength/stamina/body with the other stats levelled just to the point I need them at for gear. Combat wise I've mainly just been using the main 2-3 hit combo strings while unlocking a couple of different moves, though I rarely find myself deviating from the standard 2-3 hit combo's as they are really effective against all the enemies/bosses I've faced so far.

Also - with regards to the blacksmith, I've not really done any forging etc. yet. Is this something I should focus on? I've been getting pretty much all my gear from summoning the spirits of deceased players and defeating them, its yielded better drops compared to the main missions and nothing I can forge yet from the blacksmith comes close level/damage/defence wise.
Forging itself isn't really necessary before you unlock Divine tier items, which happens at the end of the initial playthrough, though if you really like weapons like Raikiri, you may want to forge new ones at a higher level just because. Re-forging and Soul Matching can help you keep certain individual pieces of gear relevant for quite a while, but eventually you'll have to switch items as every subsequent Soul Match done on a single item will increase the costs (and they will get *very high* pretty fast). Getting items from revenants tends to be the most effective way of keeping your gear up to date for now.

The two main key factors, aside from perhaps learning various Onmyo debuffs that can really help you in certain cases, is to keep your gear up to date (as a general rule, your character level isn't nearly as important as that of your items, though obviously having bigger stats can have greats effects as well) and perhaps learning to widen your combat move arsenal via experimenting with the combat system a bit more. Sure, you *can* basically beat the whole game by remaining in mid-stance and using 2-3 hit light attack combos, but there is so much more to the system than that.

For example, the basic sword or axe wielding Oni enemies called Yoki. You may or may have not noticed that their horn is a weak spot that immediately drains their Ki to zero and causes them to fall to the ground, something that doesn't happen when they are normally dropped to Zero Ki state. If you don't notice it, you might just wail on them and lose all the extra advantages you gain from this. If you do note it, you might, for example, give 'em a few more licks on the way down, but not enough to cause them to rise up again, move to the back and give it either a finishing blow (the context sensitive heavy attack button ground stab/attack) or perhaps a charged draw attack (Iai Quickdraw or Sign of the Cross) and then keep up hitting them on the back until they do their Ki-regaining move.

Depending on the weapon you are using, certain moves are far better at hitting the horns and thus giving you that opportunity to punish. With the katana, my go-to move is the first high stance light attack, a slightly diagonal downward chop. Learning to position yourself just right to make the path of the sword cross the horns has a great payoff, if you cash it in properly.

Forging itself isn't really necessary before you unlock Divine tier items, which happens at the end of the initial playthrough, though if you really like weapons like Raikiri, you may want to forge new ones at a higher level just because. Re-forging and Soul Matching can help you keep certain individual pieces of gear relevant for quite a while, but eventually you'll have to switch items as every subsequent Soul Match done on a single item will increase the costs (and they will get *very high* pretty fast). Getting items from revenants tends to be the most effective way of keeping your gear up to date for now.

The two main key factors, aside from perhaps learning various Onmyo debuffs that can really help you in certain cases, is to keep your gear up to date (as a general rule, your character level isn't nearly as important as that of your items, though obviously having bigger stats can have greats effects as well) and perhaps learning to widen your combat move arsenal via experimenting with the combat system a bit more. Sure, you *can* basically beat the whole game by remaining in mid-stance and using 2-3 hit light attack combos, but there is so much more to the system than that.

For example, the basic sword or axe wielding Oni enemies called Yoki. You may or may have not noticed that their horn is a weak spot that immediately drains their Ki to zero and causes them to fall to the ground, something that doesn't happen when they are normally dropped to Zero Ki state. If you don't notice it, you might just wail on them and lose all the extra advantages you gain from this. If you do note it, you might, for example, give 'em a few more licks on the way down, but not enough to cause them to rise up again, move to the back and give it either a finishing blow (the context sensitive heavy attack button ground stab/attack) or perhaps a charged draw attack (Iai Quickdraw or Sign of the Cross) and then keep up hitting them on the back until they do their Ki-regaining move.

Depending on the weapon you are using, certain moves are far better at hitting the horns and thus giving you that opportunity to punish. With the katana, my go-to move is the first high stance light attack, a slightly diagonal downward chop. Learning to position yourself just right to make the path of the sword cross the horns has a great payoff, if you cash it in properly.

Awesome stuff, thanks for the info. That'll help a great deal :)

Regarding weak points in Yokai - that explains a great many things! I had noticed that before but couldn't work out why it would sometimes happen. I'll be sure to switch up my attacks slightly to take advantage of that. Thanks :)

Top Bottom