• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

May16

Really wish there were an external UMD attachment for the Vita so I could play my PSP games on it. Maybe something that clips onto it and hangs on the back? I dunno, but I'm not going to re-buy my games, out of principle. (I'd rather pay $50 or so for an attachment than re-buy something like 30+ games at $5-$15 each.)

For this reason, I still sometimes choose PSP instead of Vita as the portable I take with me out of the house.

Jawmuncher

The PSP still stands as my favorite handheld and probablt my favorite system ever. I absolutely love how for the most part it really pushed the idea of a home console in your pocket. Which was something nintendo never really offered me until the 3DS.
So many great days and nights playing all sorts of games on the PSP. Hell I brought it to school everyday with me sung in my right pocket and would whip it out whenever I had free time.

As for the PSPgo. It really was a neat idea but it just released at a awkward time.
The idea was good of sony to try but the value really just wasn't there by the time it came out. Though I have to say once CFW came out the PSPgo really shined. I actually have mine right now with games I ripped from my original phat.

Since that leads me to talk about the PSP hacking. As of right now it really adds a lot to a system that is basically dead now. It's basically the best portable machine if you want other consoles on the go all in one place. If anything I say the biggest problem was homebrew and the use of backups came too soon as was way to easy for the masses.

Yuterald

Here's my collection:

Love the PSP. My favorite period I had with it was playing all of the XSEED/Falcom stuff. Trails in the Sky first playthrough will be one of my most memorable gaming experiences of my life. Playing the Ys games were great times too, of course. Other notable favorites were Tactics Ogre, Maverick Hunter X, Castlevania, Gurumin, Hammerin' Hero, Half-Minute Hero, etc. I'm only missing a handful of games to complete my personal collection. I also prefer to play my PSP games with the component cables on my HDTV. Good times and I have plenty to return to/still play!

Aiustis

I love my psp. I bought more games for it than any other system I have (about 80). Though some of the games were my sister's. At one point or another, I owned each limited edition version released here and it's the only system I ever imported games for. So yeah it's by far my favorite gaming system of all time. 3ds is looking like it'll take over as my most played.

Playing Lumines to that Shinin song brings back a rush of memories. :(

I didn't stick with the system long enough but when I did I had a blast. Daxter, Medievil Resurrection, Virtual Tennis, Twisted Metal, etc.

I'd love the OP to see some game recommendations in it.

Also does anyone collect UMD movies?

My first PSP games were an audiovisual treat. Between Lumines and Loco Roco I had an excellent time on the train with my PSP. Sometimes I would just play specific levels of the games just for the music

One of my favorite systems of all time. I'm still so thankful that my first experience with a FF game was the absolute masterpiece, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions on this system. I've beaten almost all of them since then, but none of them top that one. XII International comes close though.

meppi

Love the PSP. My favorite period I had with it was playing all of the XSEED/Falcom stuff. Trails in the Sky first playthrough will be one of my most memorable gaming experiences of my life. Playing the Ys games were great times too, of course. Other notable favorites were Tactics Ogre, Maverick Hunter X, Castlevania, Gurumin, Hammerin' Hero, Half-Minute Hero, etc. I'm only missing a handful of games to complete my personal collection. I also prefer to play my PSP games with the component cables on my HDTV. Good times and I have plenty to return to/still play!

Oh, thanks for mentioning that! I had no idea a sequel ever came out for the PSP! just ordered a brand new copy. :)

I'd love the OP to see some game recommendations in it.

Oh, I'd love to do that.
But a simple list of games is so boring...
If there's a good repository of PSP screenshots as well as cover pictures I'm sure I would be able to put something together that looks nice and really get the nostalgia juices flowing. :)

impact

Banned
My fondest PSP memories are playing PSP games on Vita and PPSSPP. Some great games but that hardware was so awful that I got rid of it within a couple months of buying it. MHP3rd with english patch is <333

meppi

OP, about the picture of the PSP games that you posted. Are they in order of release?

Hehe, no that's just my collection as it stands after a month of buying a new system.
The order is completely random. Just wanted to have something nice and original to post as a banner.

FSLink

Banned
Love my PSP Go. Also have 2 1000 units and 1 2000 unit laying around as well. I use the 2000 unit to rip my UMDs.

Undoubtedly my favorite library; so much quality and diversity.

-Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
-Ys: Seven
-Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
-Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
-Phantasy Star Portable 2
-God Eater Burst
-50 Cent: Bulletproof - Special G-Unit Edition
-Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
-Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
-Valkyria Chronicles 2
-Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
-Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
-Warriors Orochi 2
-The 3rd Birthday
-King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
-Final Fantasy Type-0
-Mega Man Powered Up + Maverick Hunter X
-Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
-Tekken 6
-Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny
-Daxter
-Killzone: Liberation
-Resistance: Retribution

I could be here all day listing off games.

My old PSP broke recently but when I get a new one I'm" going to finish building my already massive collection. STILL stings that Capcom canceled Devil May Cry PSP back in the day.

vladdamad

The PSP was the first system that I can remember where I started to actively follow gaming news - I didn't have a home console at the time so the PSP was the place where I got a taste of a large amount of franchises that I still love to this day (albeit on more powerful systems). Back then, it really seemed incredible what you could do with it - photos, video, 3D gaming on the go, internet - it was mindblowing. I also remember downloading a DLC chapter of Killzone Liberation and thinking how serialised content would be the future of video games, little did I know that developers were already charging people money for stuff like this on home consoles... Also, the downloadable demos for the system were great - the holiday-themed LocoRoco ones were the highlights, I still play through the Christmas one every once in a while.

I also remember following the homebrew scene quite a lot. Downgrading to 1.50 was a nerve-wrecking experience having heard so much about systems being bricked. It was worth it though, as it allowed me to get a lot more out of the handheld - overclocking the system was a nice feature, as well as backing up your UMDs and enjoying significantly shorter loading times.

In general, I spent a very large amount of time with the PSP, and it was really my gateway into video games as a whole. Feeling like charging it up again and playing some LocoRoco

Sakujou

Banned
Its 16:9 widescreen and media capabilities were unreal back in 2004. Games, movies, music, web browser, thing was so futuristic.
Sounded so neat on paper, but listening music, watching stuff on it(except bought umds) was just a hassle.

The only thing done right on this system was graphics amd games.

Loved the emulation of psx games and the few good games existing on that system.

Still play games on it and waiting for ff type zero translation patch to release.
Bought the japanese version in january in japan only for that purpose.

Claneko

A fantastic console, and I'll love it forever for giving me Mega Man Powered Up. (So wish I could play that on my Vita, don't have a PSP or the game anymore for unfortunate reasons.)

linkboy

A fantastic console, and I'll love it forever for giving me Mega Man Powered Up. (So wish I could play that on my Vita, don't have a PSP or the game anymore for unfortunate reasons.)

What's even worse is that the game runs perfectly fine on Vita's that have been hacked to run PSP games.

MrBS

I was a day one purchase of the PSP. That thing was from the future. Hell I made sure I got a US model despit the region free mess so I wouldn't have issues with UMD movies
LOL

I came to hate UMD with a passion. I had lots of bad luck with them breaking. Sony introducting the digital ecocomy proper to coincide with PSPGo made my day and from them on I was all digital. A decision that made the vita very attractive to me day one as well.

Subscribed! The PSP is a fun system to collect for, lots of really weird stuff. I'll try and get a photo of all my games tomorrow.

Aaaand here we go.

vR8BkOu.jpg

2AeZJIt.jpg

pu0xNkO.jpg

I bought a PSP when the 2000 model launched back in... late 2007? I remember being really excited to play Bubble Bobble Evolution of all things.

I've sold a lot of games over the years, but I'm slowly looking at replacing them (stuff like After Burner Black Falcon, Ridge Racer 2 etc.) No rush though. There's also still a megaton of Japanese-exclusive releases I want to pick up one day.

Also does anyone else flip the instruction manuals over in the cases? Prevents them from being bent out of shape by the single little bit of plastic that holds them in place. =]

A great handheld to play a lot of rpgs.
The only thing I wished Sony did was bring the PSP Passport to US for the Vita. I got several UMDs that are just sitting here. Played some, but haven't finished them all. It would be more helpful if I could take it with me on my Vita so I can reduce my backlog on my breaks.
It introduced me to Trails in the Sky, Ys, Monster Hunter, Ikki Tousen and others. A lot of good memories on this handheld.

TnK

Great handheld, but to me, it does not come close to how insanely good the DS is.

I would have taken a pic of my collection, but I won't be doing so anytime soon as I don't have access to it.

My top 3 favorite games on the handheld are:
1-Half Minute Hero
2-Castlevania X Dracula Chronicles
3-Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

I have a huge PSP backlog btw lol, mostly JRPGs

RaikuHebi

Banned
Sounded so neat on paper, but listening music, watching stuff on it(except bought umds) was just a hassle.

The only thing done right on this system was graphics amd games.

Loved the emulation of psx games and the few good games existing on that system.

Still play games on it and waiting for ff type zero translation patch to release.
Bought the japanese version in january in japan only for that purpose.

Yes, as ahead of its time as it was, Sony missed the mark. Especially with regards to getting a PS Store up and running back then, as well as allowing Indies to develop. The homebrew scene was buzzing but Sony ignored it. They could've made the PSP the iPhone before the iPhone.

Still though. We take portable media players for granted nowadays, but when the PSP came out the iPod didn't even do videos or photos and phones that could do it, did so poorly.

I used to have a much larger collection., until my PSP screen got broken and I bought a PSP Go instead. Traded every game I owned (except ones unavailable on PSN) towards PSN credit and went fully digital from then on.

ibomOr4VrqHWqB.jpg

So I pretty much have only stuff that isn't available digitally, or stuff that I bought on the cheap on impulse for no reason (I repaired my PSP-2000 after some time).

I grew up on and love Nintendo handhelds. That said, apart from a little NeoGeoPocket phase in the early 2000s, owning a PSP was the first time I really thought "Well, this is equally good or even better!" Originally bought late in its' time for Dissidia and Peace Walker, it properly introduced me to The Ys series, Wipeout, Hatsune Miku and many small gems.

If it weren't for my limited gaming time&budget where I'd currently rather buy Vita games, I really would love to continue to collect some PSP games.. I've been thinking of getting some really Classic-style Jrpgs (I have Persona 2/3, BoF3 and TitS, but that's it) and I've been looking for some good action type games on the system (I only got the Metal Gears and 3rd Birthday) and some good platform games (I own Ultimate Ghosts n'Goblins, Prinny 1, Castlevania)... any suggestions?

linkboy

My history with the PSP.

I've owned a PSP in some capacity pretty much since the system released and it was my most played handheld (still is, to be honest). To be honest, I've owned at least one of each of the models (1k, 2k, 3k (my current model) and Go) wither while I was in Japan or in the US.

The PSP is one of my favorite systems and easily my favorite handheld (edging out the GBA).

meppi

Aaaand here we go.

pictures[/IM]

I bought a PSP when the 2000 model launched back in... late 2007? I remember being really excited to play Bubble Bobble Evolution of all things.

I've sold a lot of games over the years, but I'm slowly looking at replacing them (stuff like After Burner Black Falcon, Ridge Racer 2 etc.) No rush though. There's also still a megaton of Japanese-exclusive releases I want to pick up one day.

Also does anyone else [url=http://i.imgur.com/V7fzPFx.jpg]flip the instruction manuals over[/url] in the cases? Prevents them from being bent out of shape by the single little bit of plastic that holds them in place. =][/QUOTE]

Oh very nice!
Got a couple of new game to add to my wish list that I didn't even know existed! :D
Qix++ for instance. Loved the original in the arcade back in the day!

Got some new goodies delivered today as well. :)

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibjLFQplA9Q6Ra.jpg
Already had the PAL version of WipEout Pure and right now I'm on my way to clear everything the game has to offer for the 3rd time in a row. But I really wanted the Japanese version as well since there was exclusive Japan only DLC for the game.

Really looking forward to playing Grand Knights History as I'm a huge fan of Princess Crown as well As Dragons Crown.

Also I finally started Monster Hunter Freedom last night and already got my butt kicked quite severely. lol
I have a little experience with the series but not much.
Started with the first gathering quest which was done before you know it and decided for my second quest to not do a gathering one but a hunting one instead. Big mistake it seems. ;)
Entered the "kill three Velociprey" arena and some dragon like monster came flying in and started spewing fireballs at everyone and everything. Only I died though. :p
Stupidly went back to the same area and when he attacked me I got a good 2 chops in before he one shot me. Whoops.

Third time is a charm right? So I went the whole way around, avoiding that area completely and found another Velociprey. Started hacking into him and needed to recover some energy as my battle tactics are extremely rusty. After doing this a couple of times and getting his health down quite a bit, guess who shows up?
Yep mother fucking fire spewing Game of Thrones reject: winged asshole of death.
After that I called it a night.... ;)

Better luck next time I guess.

The PSP was/is my most played system from last gen and probably my favourite handheld of all time, really... I was there a little after day one, but the first time I saw one in the shop I knew I had to have one; it was just such an amazing piece of hardware for its time! The PSPgo is still one of my most played systems, as it's uber-portable form factor means I tend to have one with me pretty much everywhere I go.

(reposting from my post in this thread: Show Off Your Gaming Collection)

shelf nine is a couple PSP1000s (one NiB) and a Sony PocketStation, along with six Wonderswans (original, Wonderswan Color and a Swan Crystal, each on display with a NiB version behind it)

yroompJ.jpg

and here's the PSP shelf... we have more than 300 UMD games for this system:

ZcNlyU9.jpg

...but in the end we've only got a fraction of the stuff on display - there are boxes in the storage space under the basement stairs filled with stuff, and here's a pic of one of the the book shelves in our music room that sort of became a landing zone for the systems we're actually using - in this pic there are two DS Lights, two DSi XLs, a DSi, two PSPgo's, three PSPs (a 1000 and two 3000s), a GBASP (AGS101) and a modded GBA with backlit screen from an AGS101, a GCW Zero, a NeoGeo X, a 3DSXL, a 2DS and a Vita on a Nyko Power Grip:

v78oUch.jpg

I'll take some dedicated shots of the PSP collection itself in the next couple of days... It's quite extensive... Here's a list of the games we've got:

3rd Birthday, The
50 Cent Bulletproof G Unit Edition
Ace Combat Joint Assault
Ace Combat X Skies of Deception
Activision Hits Remixed
Adventures To Go
After Burner Black Falcon
Air Conflicts Aces of World War II
Alien Syndrome
Aliens vs. Predator Requiem
Ape Escape On The Loose
Armored Core Formula Front - Extreme Battle
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed Bloodlines
Astonishia Story
Astro Boy
Atari Classics Evolved
ATV Offroad Fury Blazin' Trails
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
Battlezone
Beaterator
Blade Dancer Lineage of Light
Blitz Overtime
Bomberman
Brave Story New Traveler
Breath of Fire III
Brothers in Arms D-Day
Brunswick Pro Bowling
Burnout Dominator
Burnout Legends
Bust-a-Move Deluxe
Call of Duty Roads to Victory
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
Capcom Puzzle World
Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles
Chessmaster The Art of Learning
Chili Con Carnage
Class of Heroes
Colin McRae Rally 2005 plus
Con, The
Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars
Crimson Gem Saga
Crush
Dante's Inferno
Darkstalkers Chronicle The Chaos Tower
Dave Mirra BMX Challenge
Daxter
Dead Head Fred
Dead to Rights Reckoning
Death Jr.
Death Jr. II Root of Evil
Dirt 2
Disgaea 2 - Dark Hero Days
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Downstream Panic!
Driver '76
Dungeon Explorer Warriors of Ancient Arts
Dungeon Maker II The Hidden War
Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground
Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics
Dynasty Warriors
EA Replay
Endwar
Every Extend Extra
Exit
Eyepet
F1 Grand Prix
Fading Shadows
Family Guy Video Game
Fat Princess Fist Full of Cake
Field Commander
FIFA Street 2
Fight Night Round 3
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Dissidea
Final Fantasy Dissidea duodecim 012
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions
Final Fantasy VII - Crisis Core
FlatOut Head On
Frantix
From Russia With Love 007
Full Auto 2 Battlelines
Gangs of London
Ghost in the Shell: StandAlone Complex
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
GitarooMan Lives!
God of War Chains of Olympus
God of War Ghost of Sparta
Gradius Collection
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
Gretzky NHL
Grip Shift
Growlanser Wayfarer of Time
Guilty Gear Judgment
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
Gun Showdown
Gungnir
Gunpey
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Half-Minute Hero
Hammerin' Hero
Harvest Moon Hero of Leaf Valley
Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law
Heatseeker
Hellboy The Science of Evil
Hexyz Force
Hot Pixel
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2
Hot Shots Tennis Get a Grip
Hustle, The - Detroit Streets
IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey
Infected
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
Jeanne D'Arc
Juiced Eliminator
Juiced 2 Hot Import Nights
Justice League Heroes
Kenka Bancho Badass Rumble
Killzone Liberation
King Kong, Peter Jackson's
King of Fighters Collection, The - The Orochi Saga
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Kingdom of Paradise
Knights in the Nightmare
Legend of Heroes II, The - Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch
Legend of Heroes III, The - Song of the Ocean
Legend of Heroes, The - A Tear of Vermillion
Lego Batman
Lego Star Wars II The Original Trilogy
Lemmings
LocoRoco
LocoRoco 2
Lumines II
Lumines Puzzle Fusion
Lunar Silver Star Harmony
Luxor The Wrath of Set
MACH
Madden NFL 06
Madden NFL 10
Mana Khemia Student Alliance
Manhunt 2
Marvel Nemesis Rise of the Imperfects
Marvel Trading Card Game
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Me & My Katamari
Medal of Honor Heroes
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Medievil Resurrection
MegaMan Powered Up
MegaMan X Maverick Hunter
Mercury Meltdown
Mercury, Archer Maclean's
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus
Metal Slug Anthology
Metal Slug XX
Miami Vice
Michael Jackson The Experience
Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition
Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play
MLB
MLB 10 The Show
ModNation Racers
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner
Mortal Kombat Unchained
MotoGP
Motorstorm Arctic Edge
MX vs ATV On the Edge
Myst
Mytran Wars
n+
Namco Museum Battle Collection
Nascar
NBA Live 08
NBA Street Showdown
NCAA Foorball 07
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Need For Speed Pro Street
Need For Speed Underground Rivals
Neverland Card Battles
NFL Street 2 Unleashed
NHL 07
Obscure The Aftermath
OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
Pangya Fantasy Golf
PaRappa The Rapper
Patapon
Patapon 2
Persona
Persona 2 Innocent Sin
Persona 3 Portable (P3P)
Phantasy Star Portable
Phantom Brave The Hermuda Triangle
Pinball Hall of Fame The Gottlieb Collection
Pinball Hall of Fame The Williams Collection
Pirates! , Sid Meier's
Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe
PlayStation Network Collection Power Pack
Popolocrois
Power Stone Collection
Prince of Persia Revelations
Prince of Persia Rival Swords
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
Prinny Can I Really Be The Hero
ProStroke Golf
Pursuit Force
Pursuit Force Extreme Justice
Puzzle Quest
R-Type Command
Race Driver 2006
Ragnarok Tactics
Rainbow Islands Evolution
Rainbow Six Vegas
Ratchet & Clank Size Matters
Reel Fishing: The Great Outdoors
Rengoku II The Stairway to HEAVEN
Resistance Retribution
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer 2
Riviera The Promised Land
Rocky Balboa
RUSH
Samurai Showdown Anthology
Samurai Warriors State of War
SBK Superbike World Championship
Scarface
Secret Agent Clank
Sega Genesis Collection
Sega Rally Revo
Sengoku Ace Episode III (Japan)
Shawn White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Experience, The
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Silverfall
Simpsons Game, The
Sims 2
Sims 2 Castaway
Sims 2 Pets
Smash Court Tennis 3
SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
Snoopy vs. The Red Baron
SOCOM Fireteam Bravo
SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 2
SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3
SOCOM Tactical Strike
Sonic Rivals
Sonic Rivals 2
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny
Space Invaders Extreme
Spectral Souls
Spider-Man 2
Splinter Cell Essentials
SSX On Tour
Star Ocean: First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Star Trek Tactical Assault
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron
Star Wars Lethal Alliance
Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Steambot Chronicles Battle Tournament
Steel Horizon
A Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Street Supremacy
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together
Taito Legends Power-Up
Tales of Eternia
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Tekken 6
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Tenchu Shadow Assassins
Test Drive Unlimited
TMNT
Tokobot
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Legend
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
Trails in the Sky (The Legend of Heroes)
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen
Traxxpad Portable Studio
Twisted Metal Head-On
Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins
Undead Knights
Untold Legends Warrior's Code
Valhalla Knights
Valhalla Knights 2
Valkyria Chronicles II
Valkyria Chronicles III Unrecorded Chronicles (Japan)
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble
Virtua Tennis World Tour
Warhammer 40,000 Squad Command
Warhammer Battle for Atluma
Warriors of the Lost Empire
Warriors Orochi
Warriors, The
Wild Arms XF
Wipeout Pulse
Wipeout Pure
World Series of Poker
World Soccer Winning Eleven 9
Worms Open Warfare
WRC FIA World Rally Championship
WWII: Battle Over The Pacific
X-Men Legends II Rise of the Apocalypse
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Seven
Ys The Ark of Napishtim
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Yggdra Union

Paskil

Is this planned to be a definitive game list thread? I have been picking up UMDs lately as I come across some of the better games. I have largely turned my focus to GBA and PSP as of late and recently snagged Jeanne d'Arc, Garumin, and Metal Gear Acid 2. I only have about 10 games in my library and I know there are a ton of good games on the system.

I know there is the digital thread of PSP RPG's as they relate to playing them on the Vita, but that hardly seems definitive.

Sakujou

Banned
contributin'
4w85.jpg

oh and i also have the first model. 1004, i believe, it was bundled back then with loco roco, the first game i thought was worth buying next to lumines, which i played at a friends house.

shit blew my mind back then....

Accoun

But I really wanted the Japanese version as well since there was exclusive Japan only DLC for the game.

Shouldn't it just work with something like NPloader? The DLC's are free anyway and not downloaded from the PSS, if I'm not mistaken.

MLH

<3 the PSP, bought one for Monster Hunter & Peace Walker but was pleasantly surprised, it has a solid catalogue of games, great Japanese support and great hardware.

Sold mine and all my games with the intention of buying the Vita on release but my financial situation changed and I held off. Things are back to normal now but I'm still without a Sony portable...

I was thinking of re-buying a PSP with the recent VC3 English patch and FF Type-0 English patch coming - I'll rebuild my catalogue since I'm beginning to miss the RPG games.

I know this is the PSP collection thread but can I buy most of the PSP catalogue on Vita? Seems like it would be a better purchase over the PSP.

meppi

Shouldn't it just work with something like NPloader? The DLC's are free anyway and not downloaded from the PSS, if I'm not mistaken.

Had to look up what that actually was, and to be honest I'm still not sure.

My original PSP does have CFW, specifically to run WipEout Pure overclocked, but I don't think Japanese DLC would be compatible with the PAL version. Could be wrong though.
The new Japanese PSP3000s that are underway to me probably won't be able to be downgraded anyway. And to be honest, I don't really mind either.

<3 the PSP, bought one for Monster Hunter & Peace Walker but was pleasantly surprised, it has a solid catalogue of games, great Japanese support and great hardware.

Sold mine and all my games with the intention of buying the Vita on release but my financial situation changed and I held off. Things are back to normal now but I'm still without a Sony portable...

I was thinking of re-buying a PSP with the recent VC3 English patch and FF Type-0 English patch coming - I'll rebuild my catalogue since I'm beginning to miss the RPG games.

I know this is the PSP collection thread but can I buy most of the PSP catalogue on Vita? Seems like it would be a better purchase over the PSP.

No worries about that. We got love for the Vita in here as well. ;)

There's quite a number of PSP games on the PSN store, even more so if you have access to the Japanese one, but still, a lot of games are not available digitally and probably never will be. So having a UMD capable system is certainly a good thing.
Playing certain PSP games on the Vita does have it's benefits though, like with Monster Hunter where you can map the camera to the second stick.

It's best to look at the titles you really want for the PSP and see if they all are on PSN. If so, I'd say go for the Vita without a doubt, it has quite a lot of fantastic games as well that you won't find anywhere else.
If there are too many PSP games that aren't on the PSN store, and the Vita exclusives don't really speak to you, you might still consider a PSP.
Feels weird think how I just picked up a budget line PSP for &#8364;90 and I only paid &#8364;130 for my last Vita+Killzone.
The system can be had for extremely cheap if you look around for a good deal.

Accoun

The new Japanese PSP3000s that are underway to me probably won't be able to be downgraded anyway. And to be honest, I don't really mind either.

These days you don't have to downgrade, though. Just install a file from the memory card.
But if you aren't interested, then OK. :)

MLH

No worries about that. We got love for the Vita in here as well. ;)

There's quite a number of PSP games on the PSN store, even more so if you have access to the Japanese one, but still, a lot of games are not available digitally and probably never will be. So having a UMD capable system is certainly a good thing.
Playing certain PSP games on the Vita does have it's benefits though, like with Monster Hunter where you can map the camera to the second stick.

It's best to look at the titles you really want for the PSP and see if they all are on PSN. If so, I'd say go for the Vita without a doubt, it has quite a lot of fantastic games as well that you won't find anywhere else.
If there are too many PSP games that aren't on the PSN store, and the Vita exclusives don't really speak to you, you might still consider a PSP.
Feels weird think how I just picked up a budget line PSP for €90 and I only paid €130 for my last Vita+Killzone.
The system can be had for extremely cheap if you look around for a good deal.

Thanks for the advice, I'm aware that KH:BBS isn't digital but I've fully explored that games with no desire to replay, will have to got through the list and check.

The price of the Vita is really what is tempting me, as you mentioned new/ like new PSPs are still quite expensive while Vita isn't much more expensive (with a larger catalogue of games).

I think I might pick up the Vita, I've never owned one so it makes sense.

Hellraider

You guys reminded me how much I wanted to buy the Portable 3rd 3k model. I'm without a PSP for more than a year now and I'm constantly thinking of getting one for all the games that I can't play on a European Vita. Why can't we have an 100% digital PSP BC on Vita dammit?!

I'll probably get an E-1000 the moment I can get a new one for 50 euros.

wes-

I remember i had a white psp, some kid wanted to try it out and i didn't notice he ate a chocolate bar right before. My poor white psp was covered in chocolate.

Then later i let my cousin play (he was 5 or so) and he was so focused on playing that he fell forward from his chair. I gave this psp to him as a birthday gift.

Now i have a psp slim(?) and still love the way it looks, but still hate the d-pad.

Layd Dly

I loved my PSP's, still have my original 1000 with CFW, and later I bought the Ratchet & Clank Silver 3000 Bundle and then I never went back to my 1000 since it was so heavy lol.

All my games are in a storage bin somewhere since I have been moving to digital on my Vita, which makes it tough to track down and collect a few games since I wont play them unless they are on the Vita

Z3M0G

psp-go-white-image.jpg

I really love this damn thing to death... yes, it sucks it doesn't play UMD games... and many of the great ones never got released on the digital store... but the form factor, and the ability to plug it into a dock which is connected to my TV and play with a DS3 controller was a great way to use the system at home.

I'd still buy a Vita TV for $99 just to play my PSP games on my TV in full screen ratio... that was the one and only thing that truly sucked about the PSP.

(I own 3 PSPs. The 1000 in which the UMD drive died... the 2000 to play UMDs again, and the pspGO for the DS3 support.)

Top Bottom