• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Anyone know the limit? It would be awesome to do some giant puzzle adventure game where players spam twitch with commands that may or may not work. Anyone remember those kind of games? It would require a big bank of key terms though.

I think one missed opportunity with LBP3 is complimenting the bigger levels/crazier designs with a proper creation identity.

It would have been awesome, especially on PS4, to have some way to have more than 4 simultaneous creators form a "studio", and then have that level share the plays/likes as one group. 6-8 creators on a single level design would allow for some great efficiency and would allow those seriously wanting to make huge levels feel more adequately rewarded/supported

Instead of tying one sackperson to a level, it would be awesome to have small teams get recognized for their work. Maybe for the future! :)

I don't think the word count is that high. For some reason I have 5 - 6 in my head. I did see an interview where he mentioned the number so that could be something I'm remembering subconsciously.

The joint level idea has been going on for quite some time but only one person can publish that level. All they do is have a start up screen with all the people responsible.

With all the info that Gribble and donkey have been posting, it's only making the wait more unbearable! Sounds like you've added so much!

I might actually buy this instead of GTA tomorrow. I haven't played GTA yet but after the whole gamersgate fiasco I'm considering a self-imposed ban on games that appear to be creating very aggressive little shits online. Instead LBP spreads the love.

bebop242

Super excited for this, but not getting it until a bit later since it will be a Christmas gift for my son.

I was surprised to see a commercial for this during the Simpsons tonight. I hope PS4's success translates to bigger sales for this series.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yarp.

As for the ice material and a freezing effect there's nothing like that will freeze you. But you can essentially create that effect with the new tools in the game now. :p

Ah, so I must have seen an ice cube decoration on the stream? Or was that using a trick or two with transparency and adding more shine?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
any improvements or added feature to the music creation part? i really should read the what's new from LBPC lol.

That's the one question that's been kept a complete secret and from what I've seen in the beta, it looks pretty much what we're used to, but who knows what's in the final build.

So normal starts off with a basic tool set to you get moving, i.e. something similar but probably less intense than LBP2. Some tool sub menus are more simplified, etc. The menus can get a bit overwhelming, so we tried to simplify it to what would be enough for a beginner to get adjusted to the fundamentals (which are covered in the Popit Puzzles).

Advanced just unlocks everything from the get-go, all the new advanced depth tools, and what not.

Plus we have video tutorials that cover all the tools and then some, which can also be watched on LBP.me. Hopefully y'all don't find my voice too grating as I narrate about 165 tutorials, lol.

Man, I remember going so hard in LBP1... I created a very active level but it was a level that required constant updates because of the nature of the concept... I was getting crazy PMs about it too, and I worked so hard to understand everything.

I was definitely not a natural at create mode, but others have some serious comprehension and talent for it.

I'd spend hours a day working on the level, answering emails, seeing myself become popular, until it all became overwhelming haha. I miss the thrill of getting more plays, hearts, and fans.

I had three favourite levels of mine, one of which was this awesome puzzle game that I was really proud of. I'm going to expand it for LBP3 and make it top down, but I can't imagine learning everything like I used to when I was younger.

I'm jobless right now so I have so much time on my hands, so I'd love to give it a try. I used to have a much smarter friend help me create the level, but he's gone now :(

Maybe I can share the idea with Gaffers and get something going. Having two kinds of create mode out to level the criticism some have with how daunting create mode can be, but most people seem to accept the fact that create mode is awesome, and that the learning curve is just the nature of it.

PS4's popularity seems to have really made LBP popular, at least going off Youtube

The share/stream features is probably also going to make this much more enjoyable to watch on Twitch

Pretty excited to see how this game unfolds, despite the insane competition this month

I just saw a LBP3 commercial on tv! It was pretty good too. I hope this game sells well.

I had no idea about the interactive stream features. Wow. This game has so much going for it I am bewildered that this doesn't have huge hype. Doesn't appeal to dudebros I guess..

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Does the Object saver tool work the same way as the memorizer tool in LBP:Vita or is it something else?

If you go into a level and move a block of sponge and then leave the level, next time you visit that level, the block of sponge will be where you moved it to. That's all I know because that's all I tired. lol.

I don't think the word count is that high. For some reason I have 5 - 6 in my head. I did see an interview where he mentioned the number so that could be something I'm remembering subconsciously.

The joint level idea has been going on for quite some time but only one person can publish that level. All they do is have a start up screen with all the people responsible.

You know what? That's not bad

.... Anyone want to create a Heavy Rain/Walking Dead choice-based game with me? :D

We just need very simple A, B, C, D options for Twitch!

Man, I'm so pumped. I was planning on getting Dragon Age... but now I'm wanting to switch and get LBP to play with some creators and do something serious.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What's the difference?

Also is there a list or images of materials out there or something? I need some inspiration or context for some of my ideas lol

No list of material unfortunately and evidently I was wrong about the ice material ... sorry. I definitely saw material that looked like ice though so I'm assuming it was another material with its transparency turned up and a material tweaker to make it slippy, but darn, it looked like ice. Flowing mud/chocolate (can't remember what it is now) with the colour turned to white, the animation set to 0 and the transparency set to 50% would probably do the trick!

skip to 3:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKch5DPrduE

Remf

Already have the digital version prordered on the ps4 and I'm just waiting for the clock to tick down so I can finally play it. Lbp 1&2 were my top games of last generation and I can't wait to see what people come up with on this one. Might make another level too, but with a new baby, it will take some time.

Great OT, OP. I will be picking up this game on Friday along with a couple others. Even though I knew that I would get this game ever since it was announced at E3, I didn't expect there to be so many new features and elements that would excite me so much. I can't wait for what the creative side of the LBP Community has to offer.
Yup, the interactive live streaming tool that you set the chat key phrases to acts as a trigger to whatever you want in your level. So yeah, you can totally do that.
chansub-global-emoticon-3a624954918104fe-19x27.png

Teknoman

So I had this idea for a slightly Japanese myth infused hack and slash set of levels for LBP (never could get what I wanted to work right, but it seems i'll be good with the power up and layer system here) called Nuno Densetsu.

Looks like theres an actual store already called that lol:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/布伝説-名古屋市名東区

I guess Sackboy no bōken would be better though.

I never played two and the vita version. I imagine two just expanded on the first games concepts but was their anything new in the vita version?

cheesekao

It's different, there is a memoriser tool aswell. but the object saver saves the state of an object, rather than just a logic value :)

If you go into a level and move a block of sponge and then leave the level, next time you visit that level, the block of sponge will be where you moved it to. That's all I know because that's all I tired. lol.

So that's what the object saver is. If I'm not mistaken, the memorisor tool in LBP:Vita allows you to create a full fledged RPG or something like that by acting as a save point of sorts. Sadly, it's potential was never fully realized seeing as to how small the LBP:Vita community is.

I never played two and the vita version. I imagine two just expanded on the first games concepts but was their anything new in the vita version?
Touch screen, back touch and gyro tools are the most noticeable ones.

No list of material unfortunately and evidently I was wrong about the ice material ... sorry. I definitely saw material that looked like ice though so I'm assuming it was another material with its transparency turned up and a material tweaker to make it slippy, but darn, it looked like ice. Flowing mud/chocolate (can't remember what it is now) with the colour turned to white, the animation set to 0 and the transparency set to 50% would probably do the trick!

skip to 3:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKch5DPrduE
You misunderstood. There's definitely ice material, but what I think Teknoman was referring to was an old ice hazard that didn't make it into LBP. It was similar to making a material become a fire hazard, etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
My biggest question is: Have they fixed the netcode? The lag in online mode for LBP1/2 really killed me playing it with people online. The group I regularly played with
before jumping on Bad Company 2
pretty much stopped playing LBP2 because of it. I pretty much quickly followed after that.

It's why I haven't pre-ordered this on PS3. I dunno if I want to play it if the online is laggy still.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You misunderstood. There's definitely ice material, but what I think Teknoman was referring to was an old ice hazard that didn't make it into LBP. It was similar to making a material become a fire hazard, etc.

Oh, I see. I thought I wasn't seeing things. thanks.

Teknoman

Yeah thats what I was hoping, but ice material in general for visuals will work fine. Tons better than glass anyway.

Really hope it turns out good, I was hyped as hell for LBP and LBP2, but don't think I'll be picking this one up around launch, since I still have quite a few games to play.

Damn some knowledge bombs being dropped in here! I'm not home but I'll update the OP with some more stuff when I get a chance, especially that interactive live streaming. So cool!!

aly

I'm so excited to see all the cool levels you guys and other people make. I'm pretty terrible at it myself, but watching the things other people create is half the fun for me.

I bought a PS3 for the original LBP years ago, but I have since basically abandoned the series. Nonetheless I might pick up LPB3 to see how much they've added.

Oh, I see. I thought I wasn't seeing things. thanks.
No problemo!
That's the one question that's been kept a complete secret and from what I've seen in the beta, it looks pretty much what we're used to, but who knows what's in the final build.
It's pretty much the same familiar music sequencer, but we've added lots more sequencer sound packs, like the dubstep pack! :3
I just saw a LBP3 commercial on tv! It was pretty good too. I hope this game sells well.

My cousin told me she saw a commercial play during the Redskins game today, so it's defintiely out there in the mainstream. ^^

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No problemo!

It's pretty much the same familiar music sequencer, but we've added lots more sequencer sound packs, like the dubstep pack! :3

My cousin told me she saw a commercial play during the Redskins game today, so it's defintiely out there in the mainstream. ^^

Ok, so an update later perhaps with some level DLC? :)

You know, being able to turn some music layers on or off via tags would be very helpful ... That way you could build the music up or tame it in the quieter moments. It would also mean you could have more than one melody on a music sequencer.

Teknoman

I think that was possible back in the day by placing the same music box at a certain point, and turning down the volume of whatever specific music layer you didnt want to play at the time.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think that was possible back in the day by placing the same music box at a certain point, and turning down the volume of whatever specific music layer you didnt want to play at the time.

Yes, but it would be much simpler if you could directly influence the volumes on one music sequencer and it would probably save on thermo too.

Boyos, I made a youtube speed paining for LBP3. Loved LBP2 and SMG as they were my favorite platformers last generation, so I included this. I usually show 90-95% of my progress before the final is revealed, but I took an extra day for this one until I was satisfied with the final result. Hope fans of the series actually enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDi04fC6NE

This & F4 are day 1 pre-ordered. :)

Hamlet

Great OT.
Really looking forward to picking this up in a week or so when it comes out here. Oddsock is so adorable.

There were no logic chips in LBP1. If you wanted to make logic, you had to use the physics and switches. That's why the calculator was so incredible.
Right, I do remember in LBP1 things just couldn't happen without connecting the wires to make it happen. That sounds awesome. Now I gotta a lot of catching up to do.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Yeah thats what I was hoping, but ice material in general for visuals will work fine. Tons better than glass anyway.

Someone created a pretty convincing ice block status effect in the beta

dEBVm5s.gif

using the official ice material, it'll look even better.

Top Bottom