• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Sony choosing to reveal The Last Of Us Part 2 at PSX is telling imo

They know people are expecting another megaton year of dreams from them and having the TLOU Part 2 announcement at E3 would have helped with that tremendously.

But they revealed it at PSX instead.

I think it's because they are already confident they have enough megatons at E3 to blow people away and that is very exciting.

It's not proof obviously but it seems likely the reason they didn't save TLOU Part 2 for E3

I think it is was that and because they wanted to legitimize PSX. The event can't be passed off as minor anymore. E3 will obviously be the place where the majority of the big announcements happen but I think PSX is relevant in that regard as well.

But yeah, Sony got enough ammo to go around for both events. Sony gonna bring that hype.

I'm not sure, I imagine that Naughty Dog wanted to go into production without having to deal with a reveal in E3, those usally require a lot of effort and time. With the small teaser we got maybe they won't even appear at E3 with Part II or just another cinematic...

That doesn't mean Sony wouldn't have anything big waiting tho. I'm sure it's God of War last E3 so it'll probably be the star of the conference and Days Gone should be heavily featured as well.

Eggbok

medievilleak.gif

Funny thing is, this is exactly what I expect from the community in Dreams.

I expect another big E3 conference from Sony this year, with a number of first party announcements. They're on fire right now and they're going to be supporting PS4 internally from a software perspective for a very, very long time.

Sony choosing to reveal The Last Of Us Part 2 at PSX is telling imo

They know people are expecting another megaton year of dreams from them and having the TLOU Part 2 announcement at E3 would have helped with that tremendously.

But they revealed it at PSX instead.

I think it's because they are already confident they have enough megatons at E3 to blow people away and that is very exciting.

It's not proof obviously but it seems likely the reason they didn't save TLOU Part 2 for E3

Yeah, no, that is not the reason. Sony considers PSX an important venue; Not as important as E3, but still important to them, and they obviously wanted to give their fans a taste of what is to come. What we saw was just a short trailer; The game is yet to be introduced properly.

Some TLOU2 gameplay is a megaton on is own. If they walked up on stage and showed a 10 minute live gameplay demo of it and thats all they showed for the whole show, thats a good E3 conference in my book.

farisr

Yeah, you can bet your ass when Dreams releases a lot of people will make Sony IP games like Medievil 3, Ape Escape 4, Jak 4 and others requested games we never got.
Yeah. Before E3 2016, every stream they did, and every time they revealed a new feature, I had been making a mental list of what features could be useful to me in order to recreate Crash

Some TLOU2 gameplay is a megaton on is own. If they walked up on stage and showed a 10 minute live gameplay demo of it and thats all they showed for the whole show, thats a good E3 conference in my book.

The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time.

That said, my concern is expectations for TLOU2 are too high. I don't know how they avoid disappointment in terms of E3 gameplay, the game itself, etc. I wonder how they can prevent everything feeling too similar to the first game. Lacking the same impact. Not as easy as Uncharted to Uncharted 2 where they could just go bigger with set pieces, action, etc.

That said, my concern is expectations for TLOU2 are too high. I don't know how they avoid disappointment in terms of E3 gameplay, the game itself, etc. I wonder how they can prevent everything feeling too similar to the first game. Lacking the same impact. Not as easy as Uncharted to Uncharted 2 where they could just go bigger with set pieces, action, etc.
Thats a good point. I remember watching that first gameplay demo the first game and I was completely blown away by how Joel used the environment to take out enemies and how cool it was how Ellie helped him out. The end of the demo had that guy on the ground as Joel aimed the shotgun at the dudes head as he was begging for his life.

Its hard to think of ways they could have the same impact. I guess there could be some insane stuff going on in the AI department with Ellie (or i mean Joel this time) and some crazy over the top violence and interaction with the environment. I guess we will see how much they were able to improve in those areas. If they manage to have a decent jump in those areas mixed with some nice visuals, I think I will be sufficiently blown away.

nicolajNN

My biggest worry for TLoU2 is that they mess up the almost perfect multiplayer, the DLC maps were already a step back in my opinion. I'm sure the single player will be great.

Regarding Dreams I really wish that they'd put out a cheaper "Play" version, that allowed you to play through campaign and other people's creations, or even just the latter. I won't be able to create anything worthwhile, but I'd love to play the stuff from other people. However full price is a bit much for me for that, and it feels like I'm missing out on half the game I paid for

My biggest worry for TLoU2 is that they mess up the almost perfect multiplayer, the DLC maps were already a step back in my opinion. I'm sure the single player will be great.

Regarding Dreams I really wish that they'd put out a cheaper "Play" version, that allowed you to play through campaign and other people's creations, or even just the latter. I won't be able to create anything worthwhile, but I'd love to play the stuff from other people. However full price is a bit much for me for that, and it feels like I'm missing out on half the game I paid for

If you are playing other people's creations then you are not missing half the game.

??? There's an entire campaign an ppl will be making tons of levels plus regular levels from the developer themselves I never created a thing in the first two little big planets didn't start until the third

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Yep. TLOU in form of FPS. There was some talk about such project at the PS3 era but we never heard about it since.

That would be gr8. Loved the story of heavy rain...

Yeah, you can bet your ass when Dreams releases a lot of people will make Sony IP games like Medievil 3, Ape Escape 4, Jak 4 and others requested games we never got.

Man..cant wait to try all that and all the horror-themed levels/games.

... I guess there could be some insane stuff going on in the AI department with Ellie (or i mean Joel this time) and some crazy over the top violence and interaction with the environment. .....
From all the tweets of Neil, others posted here, it seems like it will going to be a very violent game.

SamNW

From all the tweets of Neil, others posted here, it seems like it will going to be a very violent game.
For me, that's actually a bit disappointing. What set The Last of Us apart was its quiet moments. Hell, Left Behind was so good precisely because it recognized that the story it wanted to tell didn't require much violence, was okay with that, and filled the space with a quiet and effective story. I wish they had gone even further in that direction. Violence certainly had a place in The Last of Us, but it was a unique and interesting game in part because it frequently treated violence as incidental—rather than fundamental—to its storytelling.

I'm not saying that violence doesn't have a place in the sequel, but those weren't my favorite parts of the first game.

Oh, and I would be fine with potent violence in TLoU II. It matches up with the seeming narrative (Ellie is on a rampage).
Sure, maybe, but I'm not ready to make broad conclusions about the plot. The first trailer could merely be setting up one act of the game. The developers have said that this game will center some fairly violent emotional themes, but we know very, very little about the plot itself.

I'm getting kind of antsy now. I don't want full leaks but I am ready for rumors and the E3 hype train to get going.

Oh, and I would be fine with potent violence in TLoU II. It matches up with the seeming narrative (Ellie is on a rampage).

I think the brutal violence and sounds were vital to TLOUs immersion. Its realistic characters and story were accented beatifully by its violence. The first game seemed to be a lot about survival, left behind was about friendship/love (hence the less violence), and it looks like from the trailer, part 2 will be about revenge. I think how well they get the violence down will be a pretty major factor. So I'm happy to hear its going to be violent. Those long intense moments make the more quiet scenes all the more impactful.

Planet

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we don't hear anything about TLoU2 this whole year. There are other games much closer to release worth taking about at E3 and PSX.

Uncharted 2 did quite a bit more than just ramp up the action and set pieces from its predecessor. The character work, dialogue and performances are a magnitude better than Drake's Fortune. That's why it was so impactful and important.

I'd be surprised if we saw TLOU2 at E3. I could see them making it a PSX only thing until the E3 before release. I still think it's a 2018 game too.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's not close enough. You have no idea how much Assassin's Creed withdrawal I'm dealing with right now. That year off and the lack of a reveal leak by now is killing me.

AC series can end as far as I'm concerned. Wish they just made games that were set in those awesome era's they research so much in. Sick of seeing eagle mode, and the same type of gameplay with slight variations.

Would love them to just use those teams to make something that looks like The order but somewhat open world with muskets, revolvers imagine being a detective for scottland yard?
And you rely on tips or intel by sherlock holmes.

Just let AC die Ubisoft.

I'm really starting to get abbot triggered with some of you acting wishing for the death of a video game because you don't like it saw it two times within the last two pages what's the problem avoid it

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm really starting to get abbot triggered with some of you acting wishing for the death of a video game because you don't like it saw it two times within the last two pages what's the problem avoid it

I want Ubisoft's teams/talent to be able to create something new that's not tied to a old tired franchise. Especially since shitty movie is now attached to it.

I think the brutal violence and sounds were vital to TLOUs immersion. Its realistic characters and story were accented beatifully by its violence. The first game seemed to be a lot about survival, left behind was about friendship/love (hence the less violence), and it looks like from the trailer, part 2 will be about revenge. I think how well they get the violence down will be a pretty major factor. So I'm happy to hear its going to be violent. Those long intense moments make the more quiet scenes all the more impactful.

Same here .
I also hope we get some gameplay with all 3 groups at the same time.
A big set piece with you vs human vs different infected would be awesome .

I want Ubisoft's teams/talent to be able to create something new that's not tied to a old tired franchise. Especially since shitty movie is now attached to it.

Well I mean, at this this instalment is essentially a franchise reboot that's supposedly going to be taking a lot of inspiration from The Witcher 3. It'll probably feel pretty different to the other entries as I imagine Ubi will make it an action-RPG.

SamNW

Game development at the scale of Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty is an enormous creative undertaking that demands a staggering amount of resources. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to wish for one game's existence at the expense of another's because the resources necessary to make them are simply not infinite.

Well I mean, at this this instalment is essentially a franchise reboot that's supposedly going to be taking a lot of inspiration from The Witcher 3. It'll probably feel pretty different to the other entries as I imagine Ubi will make it an action-RPG.
If you're expecting an Assassin's Creed game that takes a lot of cues from Wild Hunt, I don't think you're going to be satisfied. Those two games are just incredibly different. Taking a year off will almost certainly result in a better and more clearly differentiated game, but I'm not expecting the sort of transformation that you're suggesting.

Turkoop

Banned
I get the feeling this year MIGHT be a little underwhelming as far as new announcements go.

I don't think Sony is going to announce much stuff. They're going to reveal more demo's and gameplay. We still need first official look into Spiderman, Death Stranding, TLOU 2( Despite here, I think we won't see any gameplay, maybe a new Teaser).
I think they are going to show a lot of Detroit, Days Gone, God of War and 3rd Party stuff like Battlfront 2 Coop mission, CoD WWII and Destiny 2. With along these games (don't count TLOU2) and with few new announcements and indies, the show is fully booked.
We shouldn't expect any big megatons, the only possible new announcement could be Sucker Punch's new IP, but that's it.

So this E3, more Gameplay and less announcements.

I don't think Sony is going to announce much stuff. They're going to reveal more demo's and gameplay. We still need first official look into Spiderman, Death Stranding, TLOU 2( Despite here, I think we won't see any gameplay, maybe a new Teaser).
I think they are going to show a lot of Detroit, Days Gone, God of War and 3rd Party stuff like Battlfront 2 Coop mission, CoD WWII and Destiny 2. With along these games (don't count TLOU2) and with few new announcements and indies, the show is fully booked.
We shouldn't expect any big megatons, the only possible new announcement could be Sucker Punch's new IP, but that's it.

nah i think there could be def. more (bloodborne 2/FS new IP, DMC5, Japan Studio)

Game development at the scale of Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty is an enormous creative undertaking that demands a staggering amount of resources. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to wish for one game's existence at the expense of another's because the resources necessary to make them are simply not infinite.

If you're expecting an Assassin's Creed game that takes a lot of cues from Wild Hunt, I don't think you're going to be satisfied. Those two games are just incredibly different. Taking a year off will almost certainly result in a better and more clearly differentiated game, but I'm not expecting the sort of transformation that you're suggesting.
Those games are what a large portion of those developers either Like to develop or develop for the lively hood of their families and theirselves instead of somehow thinking if one thing didn't exist another could maybe perhaps we could wish for an expansion of a studio to develop a second game not that another game does thinking that'll be the rebirth of another when in reality those resources won't be put to good use at all

Why do I feel like people were saying this same thing last year?

Papacheeks

Banned
Those games are what a large portion of those developers either Like to develop or develop for the lively hood of their families and theirselves instead of somehow thinking if one thing didn't exist another could maybe perhaps we could wish for an expansion of a studio to develop a second game not that another game does thinking that'll be the rebirth of another when in reality those resources won't be put to good use at all

But that's any studio with a hit series. If given the chance to do something new I bet they would jump on it knowing what they know now. Why do you think producers, directors have left Ubisoft to do their own thing?

And usually they bring people they have worked with in the past to the new studio/project. Look at Call of duty has one of the biggest turn around for new hires. It's where people go to get their feet wet then they move on to greener pastures. Sometimes it doesn't work out but they can usually find work with a big series like AC or call of duty on their resume.

AC is seriously so tired, and they have the talent to just make a game using the same tools/engine just without the AC name.

They could make a great sequel pirate game that doesn't involve syncing, eagle vision, hiding in bushes.

paulogy

While I generally agree our expectations should be tempered this year, they seem to have finally found the right formula for blowing us away E3 after E3.

How many true (and actually feasible) "megatons" are left? What else is there?

Some things I'd love to see, but don't expect in the slightest:
Agent
Deep Down
Vita 2 (which is just a PS4 super slim)
PS Home VR (actually, I really hope they do this)​

Things that I do believe we will see more of, and I'd be excited about:
Dreams (now a PSVR-optional title)
Detroit
Wild
FFVII Remake
Hellblade
God of War
Spiderman
Sucker Punch's Next Game
Days Gone​

SamNW

You have no idea whether a character artist or a programmer at Ubisoft would rather work on Assassin's Creed or a tiny, experimental indie game. Let's not make bold claims about what developers want.

Of course, I agree with your broader point about preferring studio expansion to resource reallocation. But think about it like this: generally, when people say they'd rather X exist than Y, they aren't saying that one is better than two. Rather, it's a claim about what's preferable, given the current situation. Ubisoft, for example, isn't about to hire 600 people tomorrrow. People are merely saying that they'd rather see the employees who work on AC start on a new project after Empire, rather than another entry in that series. That's fine, and that's valid.

You have no idea whether a character artist at Ubisoft would rather work on Assassin's Creed or a tiny, experimental indie game. Let's not make bold claims about what developers want.

Of course, I agree with your broader point about preferring studio expansion to resource reallocation. But think about it like this: generally, when people say they'd rather X exist than Y, they aren't saying that one is better than two. Rather, it's a claim about what's preferable, given the current situation. Ubisoft, for example, isn't about to hire 600 new people tomorrrow. People are merely saying that they'd rather see the employees who work on AC start on a new project after Empire, rather than another entry in that series. That's fine, and that's valid.
Exactly so to say I hope something dies so they can work on something else without knowing if they want to is a as u said bold claim

It's not impossible to wish for something new without hoping something millions of ppl enjoy to go away

SamNW

Exactly so to say I hope something dies so they can work on something else without knowing if they want to is a as u said bold claim
I'm sorry, it just isn't. It's an expression of personal preference. When someone says, "I hope Activision stops making Call of Duty," they're not pretending to know what the teams of developers want to do. They're simply expressing what they'd like to see in a games landscape with finite options.

Dabi

I think the pressure from an Xbox Scorpio led E3 and Nin-Switch led E3 will get Sony to reach into their bag of tricks.

I think the pressure from an Xbox Scorpio led E3 and Nin-Switch led E3 will get Sony to reach into their bag of tricks.
So what you're saying is
Agent comeback
Ape escape 4
Jack and dexter reboot
Sly cooper 5
Sp new ip
Dmc5 reveal
PlayStation all stars 2
Bloodborne 2

Top Bottom