• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

SystemBug

also, didn't know you could make custom textures for the game.

I did some game modding back in the day.

Any Dante mods you guys want to see done? I'll see if I can whip them up some time however they must be texture based

DjRoomba

Banned
Hands down my favorite game released since 2011, also one of my favorite games of this gen (and of all time).
Why there seem to be so much Gaf negativity towards it?

Pein

Banned
also, didn't know you could make custom textures for the game.

I did some game modding back in the day.

Any Dante mods you guys want to see done? I'll see if I can whip them up some time however they must be texture based

ninja costume dante, something in the vain of Ryu hayabusa. His neo dante costume was awesome and needed a mask.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Hands down my favorite game released since 2011, also one of my favorite games of this gen (and of all time).

You don't want to open that can of worms. Just keep enjoying the game, playboy.

This really had been addressed hundreds of times already.

To be brief, it takes many steps backwards from the previous iterations and at best could be described as a side grade. What NT brought to the table didn't really improve anything (to me anyway) and there was a lot of room for improvement in a sequel to 4. I also found the 'conservatives are evil, anarchy rules' plot juvenile and unironic. None of the characters were all that interesting either.

You don't want to open that can of worms. Just keep enjoying the game, playboy.

Damn! Your avatar is creepy as fuck

jediyoshi

I also found the 'conservatives are evil, anarchy rules' plot juvenile and unironic. None of the characters were all that interesting either.

Mundus was supposed to represent a conservative? Dude just seemed like prototypical rich evil dude one step away from having a cat to stroke.

Anteater

Are there no the crow mods yet?

Not like I get to use it since I'm playing on ps3, but interested in seeing one.

EClC8jJ.png

Black Neo Dante + black coat!

Dahbomb

The world was his bitch after all.

Just like your father... too big for your fucking boots.
Me? A GOD! Versus you... A piece of shit.
You don't fuck with a GOD!

At least he had some good lines.

pakkit

Banned
The visual design helped me get through the game, and that's where NT's work really shines. The plot was very disappointing, though. That said, this particular genre hasn't ever really offered a good story to me.

Dahbomb

The visual design helped me get through the game, and that's where NT's work really shines. The plot was very disappointing, though. That said, this particular genre hasn't ever really offered a good story to me.
Which is a shame because one thing I counted on NT delivering in was the story. I didn't think it was a difficult task beating out the previous DMC games but DmC manages to fall for some of the short comings as the previous games. That's what hits me hardest about the game... that it didn't live up to NTs own potential.

Its hard for me to bag on the game play when it is the best NT has put out. They went almost a complete 180 with the game.

iavi

Which is a shame because one thing I counted on NT delivering in was the story. I didn't think it was a difficult task beating out the previous DMC games but DmC manages to fall for some of the short comings as the previous games. That's what hits me hardest about the game... that it didn't live up to NTs own potential.

Its hard for me to bag on the game play when it is the best NT has put out. They went almost a complete 180 with the game.

The previous series has the benefit of lore expansion by way of sequel. I'm not saying that DmC's narrative is good in the end, not at all, but comparing one entry in a reboot line to the lore of 4 entries isn't fair.

KevinCow

Banned

Were you really expecting anything else after the massive shitstorm of hatred that's been directed at this game ever since it was announced?

If it wasn't called Devil May Cry, the public perception would've been pretty much the exact opposite. Of course, you'd still have the DMC fanbase popping in and screaming about how it's crap and awful and the worst thing ever because it's not DMC3 or Bayonetta, as they tend to do with pretty much any western-developed combat game; see God of War, Batman, Darksiders, or whatever. But they'd have been ignored as the crazy obsessives that they really are, allowing the discussion about this game to consist of more than frothing rage.

Were you really expecting anything else after the massive shitstorm of hatred that's been directed at this game ever since it was announced?

If it wasn't called Devil May Cry, the public perception would've been pretty much the exact opposite. Of course, you'd still have the DMC fanbase popping in and screaming about how it's crap and awful and the worst thing ever because it's not DMC3 or Bayonetta, as they tend to do with pretty much any western-developed combat game; see God of War, Batman, Darksiders, or whatever. But they'd have been ignored as the crazy obsessives that they really are, allowing the discussion about this game to consist of more than frothing rage.

If this game wasn't called Devil May Cry no one would give a shit, this thread would have been about 2 pages long and it would have sold like 30k.

Edit: Also if Capcom wasn't directly involved this game would have been a lower than Z tier action game considering Ninja Theory's past efforts, so who cares.

DjRoomba

Banned

To be clear thismassive shitstorm was basically due to them changing Dante's hairstyle right? Anyone complaining bout that needs to get a life seriously

Dahbomb

The previous series has the benefit of lore expansion by way of sequel. I'm not saying that DmC's narrative is good in the end, not at all, but comparing one entry in a reboot line to the lore of 4 entries isn't fair.
I am only comparing the lore of 2 games here DMC3 and DMC1. DmC did a better job of explaining the whole backstory and made it more clear. And DmC took it upon itself to use the themes in both DMC1 and DMC3 to construct a singular narrative. Both DMC1 and DMC3 had more satisfying finales than in DmC despite having less time spent on dialogue and development.

I still feel that DmC2 is going to be more similar to DMC3. We might see a return of Vergil, a plot more focused on Sparda and his powers, the mystery of the 2 amulets, Dante focusing on becoming a demon hunter and setting up shop etc. Although they really can't do that without exploring the lore DmC set up mainly the angel side of things.

To be clear thismassive shitstorm was basically due to them changing Dante's hairstyle right? Anyone complaining bout that needs to get a life seriously
Nope. You are off to a great start here already!

Dahbomb

I was more pissed off about the eye liner, the random ass UK flag on the jacket, the anorexic phsique and the smoking habit. Nevermind that they got nothing to with being Dante.... they are just awful character design elements in general. I also think the single patch of white hair made the haircut look even worse.

Thank god so many of those character elements were fixed. I really can't imagine what this game would've turned into if people didn't care as much for the hairstyle or the game play. We would have cinematic finishers, more hit pauses in attacks, helm breakers whiffing after 2 hits of aerial rave and bad sound effects in general combined with druggie Dante.

A lot of people enjoy this game. I don't understand where you assume "GAF" negativity towards it. Many hardcore DMC fans, evident by the fact that they've been playing this game non-stop since release here also obviously enjoy it for what it is. There are a few that don't like the game, mostly for the concept of what they wanted from a DMC game and never got, and some have never liked it since it was first announced two and half years ago, but don't confuse the fact that those few people who keep posting in this thread change the fact that it's still just one opinion, despite them saying it over and over again.

iavi

I am only comparing the lore of 2 games here DMC3 and DMC1. DmC did a better job of explaining the whole backstory and made it more clear. And DmC took it upon itself to use the themes in both DMC1 and DMC3 to construct a singular narrative. Both DMC1 and DMC3 had more satisfying finales than in DmC despite having less time spent on dialogue and development.

I still feel that DmC2 is going to be more similar to DMC3. We might see a return of Vergil, a plot more focused on Sparda and his powers, the mystery of the 2 amulets, Dante focusing on becoming a demon hunter and setting up shop etc. Although they really can't do that without exploring the lore DmC set up mainly the angel side of things.

NT not [end-game]
delving into the Angel side of things, not even hinting at it, was the biggest oversight in the whole narrative. It feels sloppily put together because of it. Where are the angels? Why aren't they doing their job of purging demons? Those questions couldn't even be asked if they kept any degree of nuance to the thing, but they took the easy route of Demons=bad, with a capulet and montague twang.

The next DmC should just be about a HUGE war between the sides, Vergil being some badass demon leader, and Dante not taking sides. It's something only NT's take could do, and I'd buy the shit out of it.

Tokubetsu

NT not [end-game]
delving into the Angel side of things, not even hinting at it, was the biggest oversight in the whole narrative. It feels sloppily put together because of it. Where are the angels? Why aren't they doing their job of purging demons? Those questions couldn't even be asked if they kept any degree of nuance to the thing, but they took the easy route of Demons=bad, with a capulet and montague twang.

The next DmC should just be about a HUGE war between the sides, Vergil being some badass demon leader, and Dante not taking sides. It's something only NT's take could do, and I'd buy the shit out of it.

Well there is that one demon who you helped by retrieving his eye. He doesn't seem to be evil but I agree with you that they sort of brushed passed a lot of stuff. Here's to hoping they were just trying to be subtle and focused on Dante. Not just sloppy.

Guess Who

Banned
NT not [end-game]

This was definitely the biggest problem I had with the narrative.
Not a single angel mentioned in the whole damn story besides Eva.

Smoking taunt was boss as fuck in Vanquish

Cigarettes probably cost like $800 a pack in the future too. Sam taking a single hit and tossing them shits like it was nothing

Veelk

Banned
It's something only NT's take could do, and I'd buy the shit out of it.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm currently working on my own kinda sorta fanfic alternative story (I doubt I'm going to write it down, but I like constructing my own alternative take when a work I care about has potential but doesn't fulfill it) of the original DMC universe where there is an apocalypse happening. A huge scale war story can totally work within DMC's universe.

Dahbomb

They probably saved it for a sequel. There's some concept art flying around that appears to be NTs rendition of heaven in this game. Looks pretty good. There are also quite a few environments in the concept art section that weren't used in the full game.

I too have thought of an apocalypse idea for DMC (original universe). Demon gods from other dimensions come to claim the throne of Mundus (they are all at least as strong as him but they are kings of their own realm) while also putting a bounty on Dante's head. Somewhere in there Vergil is a key player in all this but its in his best interest to stop the appcalypse.

Only way to up the ante in a DMC game.

SupaNaab

Just beat the game last night. I absolutely adored this game. I have never played a DMC before. The game felt polished and I felt powerful. I hope it gets more sales because it really deserves it. It felt like the equivalent of a popcorn movie, I can forgive some of the absurdities with the plot because the gameplay experience was great.

Tokubetsu

What I want to know is
there some sort of written explanation for Dante's hair turning white other than (and I'm assuming) him being fully awakened by the end?

So insightful.

I really wanted to like the game but once I'd finished my 4th playthrough on Hell and Hell mode, I just felt completely DONE with the game. I didn't feel like that after the previous DMC games and especially not after Bayonetta, because the combat was always fun to return to. DmC started to feel like a chore on the second run. Once I figured out
that Prop/Shredder destroys the few enemies that Trinity Smash doesn't it became a grind.

Just beat the game last night. I absolutely adored this game. I have never played a DMC before. The game felt polished and I felt powerful. I hope it gets more sales because it really deserves it. It felt like the equivalent of a popcorn movie, I can forgive some of the absurdities with the plot because the gameplay experience was great.

In before somebody mandates you need to have played 380 hours of DMC3 and put up four youtube combo videos before you can comment on your experiences on an action game here on the DmC OT thread.

Dahbomb

In before somebody mandates you need to have played 380 hours of DMC3 and put up four youtube combo videos before you comment on your experiences on an action game here on the DmC OT thread.
No one says that here. If you have actually read the OT you would know.

Its like you are looking to start up shit here.

What I want to know is
there some sort of written explanation for Dante's hair turning white other than (and I'm assuming) him being fully awakened by the end?

It has something to do with
him embracing his demonic power. I'm not sure the exact moment where it changes but I think it's when he goes into rage mode trying to kill Vergil.

Whatever explanation, it'll just come across as off. His hair should have just stayed black imo

edit: In the early childhood artwork, is Vergil's hair black or white?

Tokubetsu

It has something to do with
him embracing his demonic power. I'm not sure the exact moment where it changes but I think it's when he goes into rage mode trying to kill Vergil.

Whatever explanation, it'll just come across as off. His hair should have just stayed black imo

edit: In the early childhood artwork, is Vergil's hair black or white?

Yeah it goes full white at the end, with a patch of white forming in the back late game. IIRC, Vergil's hair is white in the childhood art scenes. Maybe implying that Vergil was always an arrogant asshole even as a kid? lol

Marlowe89

What I want to know is

Probably something to do with a
full awakening, blah blah. I do know that Dante's trademark white hair in the original universe was meant to be representative of his demonic heritage, but here it seems that the initial black coloring is supposed to be opposite to Vergil's white hair in order to further convey the contrast in their personalities. I have no idea why they shoehorned it to all of a sudden resemble the DMC universe in the ending of the game; to me that seems just as unnecessary as the writers not actually doing anything with Dante/Vergil's angelic side.
I say if you're going to make this a full-fledged reboot then at least do something with the qualities that make it distinct, you know?

The more I talk about this game, the more I find myself in the mood to go dust off DMC3 and boot that shit up. Best in the series, no doubt.

Got back to playing this after a week or two and man this game is SO good. I'm on Mission 17 right now! Probably an hour or less until it's beaten? The
fight with Mundus' Spawn and Lilith was AMAZING. Amazing mission!

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I found DMC 1 really off-putting, with the getting stabbed by a sword in the chest all the time, really odd story, and having to button mash doors for them to open. I didn't like 3 much either.

This is the first DMC I really get into. I love the flow of the combat, the visuals, the soundtrack. It's almost as good as Bayonetta! I hope this game gets a sequel :)

Top Bottom