• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's better? No sleep, or 2 hours of sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left neogaf to google this question. Of course I was brought back here by google. Ugh studying for this midterm, and it's first thing in the morning.

I think I'll do the two hours, then a shot of caffeine to break out of the lingering theta waves.

There was an awesome explanation on reddit not to long ago. essentially you go through one full sleep cycle in 90 minutes. So yes, one cycle is better than zero cycles. This is why we tend to sleep for variations of 90 minutes. 1.5 hrs, 3 hrs, 4.5 hrs, 6 hrs, or 7.5 hrs. If you're trying to get up between those intervals it's hell as your sleep cycle is interrupted. Though 30 min power naps work because you haven't hit the deep sleep yet.

Replicant

Lately I've had about 3 hours worth of light sleep (on the floor, unintentionally asleep whilst playing game) and 2.5 hours of actual deep sleep. That 2 hours helped even though it's still need an extra shot of Cappuccino the next morning.

Zoolader

Yes sleep the two hours. I've done this way too many times procrastinating my school work back in college. I've beat my body up doing that shit so try to not keep repeating this. My life is probably a decade shorter for it.

edit: ah shit it's a necro

Rojo

My friend had some issues so he asked if he can stay at my place for the night i said sure. It was midnight at that point, we then talked for 5 hrs so i can understand what was going on and calm him down a bit. I had to be up in 1 hr to get ready for school at this point i wondered if it was worth sleeping as well. Before i knew it i was out and when the alarm went off an hour later i was so alert i was shocked at how great i felt, not even a bit drowsy the rest of the day went just as good. Take a nap dude.

RELAYER

Banned
For me personally, I cannot wake up unless I get like 12 hours lol, otherwise I just lay there and sleep through everything I have to do. My brain just goes into a different mode and I don't care about life anymore when I'm laying there in the pillows.

So I would never go to bed at 12 AM if I had to be up at 6. I'd stay up.

BouncyFrag

I take the sleep in these matters with the understanding that waking up will feel awful. One time in college, I had one of those long nights having to write a paper whilst getting ready for a big exam. During the night we got some nasty cold weather effectively coating the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex with a sheet of ice. As I was in Texas it doesn't take much to stop down everything and close all area schools for the day. Waking up to the voice mail from the university informing me that all classes were canceled was glorious.

Dominator

For me personally, I cannot wake up unless I get like 12 hours lol, otherwise I just lay there and sleep through everything I have to do. My brain just goes into a different mode and I don't care about life anymore when I'm laying there in the pillows.

So I would never go to bed at 12 AM if I had to be up at 6. I'd stay up.
So you sleep half the day, basically every day? You must miss out on so much, but if it works for you then more power to ya lol

StayDead

You bumped an almost 8 year old thread for this?

I don't see the big deal of bringing back an old thread. It answered his question and saved him making another thread. What's the problem with that?

I personally need about 7 hours of sleep or I feel like a zombie all day, which is partly what today feels like as I only got 6 hours last night. I'm not sure I could cope with 2 hours. If ever I accidentally fall asleep during the day and wake up within an hour or two I feel terrible.

RELAYER

Banned
So you sleep half the day, basically every day? You must miss out on so much, but if it works for you then more power to ya lol

Well either I am sleeping half the day or I am staying up to get things done that I have to do. But yeah pretty much. I just can't get out of bed once I fall out. Been like that as long as I can remember.

I've tried everything and I simply won't wake up. I put alarms all the way across the apartment and I turn them off in my sleep and go back to bed without even remembering it.

Xe4

Banned
If you can wake up. Usually if I only get two/three hours of sleep, I have trouble getting up and sleep through work/classes, so I stay up.
Edit: Just saw how old this thread was. You probably could have made a new one...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I have been up since 12pm. I have to get up at 6am, and I won't get a chance to go back to sleep until 6pm. Should I sleep two hours right now?

As long as you can wake up some sleep is better than none. Trust me.
*lol 8 year old thread GJ me for replying to a ghost of the past!

I don't see the big deal of bringing back an old thread. It answered his question and saved him making another thread. What's the problem with that?

I personally need about 7 hours of sleep or I feel like a zombie all day, which is partly what today feels like as I only got 6 hours last night. I'm not sure I could cope with 2 hours. If ever I accidentally fall asleep during the day and wake up within an hour or two I feel terrible.

Well, the answers were already in that thread. So no need to post and bump?

To make this thread a bit more specific, I have a NBA game (go Pels) that I want to watch tonight at 2am Europe time. I'll probably wake up for work at 7am.

So if I'm already sleeping from 9pm-2am (assuming it's a good idea), should I still get another 2 hours of sleep at 5am?

To make this thread a bit more specific, I have a NBA game (go Pels) that I want to watch tonight at 2am Europe time. I'll probably wake up for work at 7am.

So if I'm already sleeping from 9pm-2am (assuming it's a good idea), should I still get another 2 hours of sleep at 5am?

Personally at that stage I'd just stay up the whole way. But if you think you can wake yourself up reliably after only 2 hours of sleep, go for it.

EDIT: Woah, holy necrobump.

Keym

Take a magazine to the bathroom at work, make sure everyone sees you, take a 20 minute nap inside. Do this two or three times until you can leave.

Always take the extra bit of sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom