• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Achievement Oriented guys have admitted to browsing GAF in the past. Surprised it wasn't one of them.

WE SEE YOU JASON
I like that podcast. Only gaming podcast I listen to actually just because all the other ones are say too hardcore white gamer bro for me.

Yes. High key one of the best video games podcasts out there.

Wish they'd bring on more than just the Kotaku folks tho.

Well, I do appreciate that their guests are varied and don't all work in video games press, but on the occasions that they do bring a journo on, it'd be good to hear from someone other than Fusion Media

bigkrev

Jesus Christ, they are doing a week celebrating The South starting today. If timing the relaunch of your website to a theme that 98% of your readers will find repulsive (Patriots week), doing a week celebrating the South as people are tearing down confederate monuments probably isn't as bad, but still not good!

Jesus Christ, they are doing a week celebrating The South starting today. If timing the relaunch of your website to a theme that 98% of your readers will find repulsive (Patriots week), doing a week celebrating the South as people are tearing down confederate monuments probably isn't as bad, but still not good!

Thus far it seems to be a bunch of southern rap articles and an article ABOUT the statues being taken down, so I'm not so sure it's as egregious as you are describing. Southern rap and it's culture should be celebrated, if anything now more than ever, and that seems to be something that is right up the Ringer's wheelhouse.

Thus far it seems to be a bunch of southern rap articles and an article ABOUT the statues being taken down, so I'm not so sure it's as egregious as you are describing. Southern rap and it's culture should be celebrated, if anything now more than ever, and that seems to be something that is right up the Ringer's wheelhouse.

Yeah the "Best 20 TI songs" article by rembert is pretty fun so far, looking forward to some articles about Southern food this week too

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm like man is is Patriots Week again or something?

I liked the KD interview and thought he did come off as sincere. I mean he was cussing and being fairly real on most things. If anything he's too cool for school on some topics/questions but I think that's just his genuine personality.

Clipjoint

This is a rough BS pod. Really want Zach Lowe to be a counter to Bill's ramblings.

I was thinking the exact same thing. KOC seems like a nice enough guy, but he comes across as too afraid of ever disagreeing with his boss and putting his homerism in its place. Zach was always good about that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
when i saw simmons tweeting about how everyone's got the kyrie trade wrong and he's doing an emergency pod i was like uh oh

i totally agree on KOC. seems like a nice guy but way too weak in his opinions or just sort of always willing to vaguely agree at absolute worst

when i saw simmons tweeting about how everyone's got the kyrie trade wrong and he's doing an emergency pod i was like uh oh

i totally agree on KOC. seems like a nice guy but way too weak in his opinions or just sort of always willing to vaguely agree at absolute worst

Bill is in serious denial about the end of the Nets Picks Era. Danny failed him.

I was thinking the exact same thing. KOC seems like a nice enough guy, but he comes across as too afraid of ever disagreeing with his boss and putting his homerism in its place. Zach was always good about that.

Some of it is just infuriating too. "I love IT and will defend him to the death... but he sucked on defense."

Then ignoring Kyrie's defensive liabilities, while also claiming he was a better acquisition than George or Butler would have been.

I get that Bill is a homer, I just wish he could temper it a bit from time to time. Be reasonable. And KOC definitely needs to do more to keep him in check.

When is Lowe back from his vacation? Next week probably, right? Can't wait for his take on the Kyrie trade.

Gigglepoo

Listening to the podcast where Simmons and KOC propose Kyrie trades. Simmons "I don't see how the Celtics could offer anything more than this:". IT, Crowder, Rozier, and two Boston first. "And I'm overpaying."

KOC said they'd have to throw in Brooklyn.

Listening to the podcast where Simmons and KOC propose Kyrie trades. Simmons "I don't see how the Celtics could offer anything more than this:". IT, Crowder, Rozier, and two Boston first. "And I'm overpaying."

KOC said they'd have to throw in Brooklyn.

Nice pull. And of course Simmons now loves giving up more for Kyrie. Amazing and predictable.

gogosox82

Listening to Simmons ramble on about this trade all by himself was really boring. He could've gotten anyone else on that? Not even House for like 5 minutes? And I could've sworn he said in that other Kyrie trade podcast he said that giving up IT,Crowder, two Boston first, and Rozier was too much but now its fine? Lol ok Simmons. I know he's a homer but jesus christ.

Bill to House: "House, if you could eat nothing but fish for the rest of your life and no other meats, would you?"

House: "Absolutely 100% yes!"

And i'm thinking, wait, you can already do this. Like, people actually do this.

Good pod otherwise. Finally someone to check Bill a little on the Kyrie trade.

BTW has anyone checked out The Athletic? Thinking of subbing. Seems like a good no frills/no bullshit sports articles. Feels a little like they pick up the slack from what the Ringer lost some of in the transition from Grantland.

Alur

BTW has anyone checked out The Athletic? Thinking of subbing. Seems like a good no frills/no bullshit sports articles. Feels a little like they pick up the slack from what the Ringer lost some of in the transition from Grantland.

I signed up earlier this year since the Leafs were so exciting to watch even though they aren't my team and I wanted to keep up with Marner and Matthews. It's been pretty good. I've mainly focused on their NHL content, but they've expanded their satellite sites so much since then and have content for all the major sports and MLS in like 12-15 or so cities now. Worth a shot at any rate, it's good value for what you get IMO.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Maybe Friday Rollin' is more of an NBA thing? I forget but I wouldn't mind. Pretty much always enjoy House.

GM Street should have its own feed.

Is it good? I actually like Tate but Lombardi is tough over long stretches and I'm probably one of the people ITT who minds him the least. :p

ryseing

Yo, this thread. Has anyone listened to the Scream episode of The Rewatchables? I haven't laughed that hard at any podcast in a minute.

And I'm in for the emergency pod tomorrow morning. I hate the Celts but I like Hayward. Poor guy.

Yo, this thread. Has anyone listened to the Scream episode of The Rewatchables? I haven't laughed that hard at any podcast in a minute.

And I'm in for the emergency pod tomorrow morning. I hate the Celts but I like Hayward. Poor guy.

Yeah I listened to the Scream pod the other day, that was a fun group.

I don't read The Ringer a ton (although more lately), but I've been impressed with the podcast network they have created (and how many of their people are great on podcasts).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rewatchables is really good (at least all the ones with Simmons) was actually going to post about it today. I don't know why Shea Serrano doesn't have his own pod, but maybe he just prefers doing other stuff because it would be great. Overall Ringer pods have definitely been on point recently, though I don't listen to the sport-specific ones unless Simbo's on. Even the video-game one I always enjoy when I listen to it.

ryseing

I really enjoyed the Matthew Lillard conversation as a millennial who wasn't around for Scream in 97 and remember him primarily from the god-awful Scooby Doos. Actually, I wouldn't do a "Rewatchable" about that first Scooby, but it would be worth doing a similar break down because of where James Gunn is now and how the Michelle Gellar/Cardellini/Prinze Jr./Lillard foursome has aged. I can't believe that nobody brought up that Freddie and Sarah are doing the Star Wars cartoon together! Seems like a stupid fact that would be right up everyone's alley.

Rewatchables is really good (at least all the ones with Simmons) was actually going to post about it today. I don't know why Shea Serrano doesn't have his own pod, but maybe he just prefers doing other stuff because it would be great. Overall Ringer pods have definitely been on point recently, though I don't listen to the sport-specific ones unless Simbo's on. Even the video-game one I always enjoy when I listen to it.

Shea's writing a book and doesn't live in LA full time. He's basically doing the Titus thing where he comes in a few weeks a year and does the rounds when he's at the offices. Titus can get away with it because he very much has a niche and that niche only heats up for around a month of every year, which means he can do T'D up over the phone or whatever their situation is for the rest of the time. Whereas Shea's niche is basically doing Eric Andre style comedy for the site but he doesn't have one hyper specific interest like Titus.

Although Titus writing about American Vandal was another highlight of the year's content.

calder

The Rewatchables on Scream was the best one yet IMO, although the Point Break pod was fantastic too with the guys slowly realizing they were all planning to rob a bank now so they may as well do it together after the pod.

As to Scream, as always Shea is bang on with his plan to avoid being stabbed to death by simply abandoning everyone and running. Standing in the middle of the street, waiting to see the killer with his big dumb robe and mask, and then just running seems like a hell of a plan tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom