• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alvvays is the greatest Canadian band of 2017

Anyone knows this band? I have their second album "Antisocialites" on repeat since its release, it's just too good.

In Undertow
Dreams Tonite
Archie, Marry Me
Atop a Cake

I saw them live recently and the vocalist Molly Rankin has a great, fun personality.

Apparently she's a fan of Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z!

JY3hz1X.gif

big ander

they come up in the indie rock thread often yeah. they're great, caught em opening for Yuck a few years ago and thought they were amazing, bought their album on tape (because at that point they were just self-distributing it and that's all they made) and have listened to it probably once a month since. new album was even better than I thought it'd be.

I saw them live before Yes and M83 and they sounded great. Need to listen to their latest album but if you like them they sound identical live which is impressive.

RqnKBTo.png

Molly Rankin has the greatest hair ever. I'm jealous and I'm not even a woman.

Also love how the band always wear these old-school polo shirts that look straight out of the 90s.

Moppeh

Banned
Can't really think of what Canadian bands they would be up against, but their new album is definitely very nice. :)

She could play Android 18!

July Talk is pretty dope.

Edit: oh oops, their album came out last year.

Are you implying that Everything Now isn't the undisputed GOAT?

Everything Now kinda blows. There's some good songs, but it really should have been an EP instead of an LP.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Are you implying that Everything Now isn't the undisputed GOAT?

thanks for reminding me that they have a new album out, loved the first one so will return with thoughts....fingers crossed as it's the second album.

Nowhere near as strong as their debut album but a good effort in small sections.
Parts of the album have a very strong cinerama or stars influence.
Hopefully it will grow on me over the years, the first album was great on first listen and got better and better upon repeats.

Futureman

Nowhere near as strong as their debut album but a good effort in small sections.

I was gonna say... "Adult Diversion" from their fist album is sooo damn good. I listened to the second album once last week and nothing stood out to me like that track but it was still pretty solid. Gotta give it another spin though.

what's so great about her hair? haha. I don't mean that to sound rude but looks pretty normal to me.

Neophant

Absolutely love the band. I'm a bit of a Canadian indie music connoisseur myself and put Alvvays' debut as my favourite album of 2014.

As for best Canadian band out there? Hmmm...I have a soft spot for Stars and Matthew Good as the acts to beat when I was growing up but nowadays I think it might have to go to either Broken Social Scene or Destroyer.

see5harp

Destroyer, Broken Social Scene and Wolf Parade are certainly the better live acts but I was less than excited about the last Destroyer and BSS albums. Pretty psyched for Wolf Parade in the next couple months though.

droggg

Seems like nothing more than a 80's style dream pop band that are a dime-a-dozen nowadays, not that I don't enjoy that style of music from time to time but I don't see anything that makes this band stand out much at all.

see5harp

Who the hell cares Rush aren't remotely a band of the now. No one gives a fuck how big Neil Peart's kit is anymore.

TissueBox

Destroyer, Broken Social Scene and Wolf Parade are certainly the better live acts but I was less than excited about the last Destroyer and BSS albums. Pretty psyched for Wolf Parade in the next couple months though.

Hug of Thunder was okay I admit.

jstripes

Banned
Who the hell cares Rush aren't remotely a band of the now. No one gives a fuck how big Neil Peart's kit is anymore.

Rush is a great band, but it's a pet peeve of mine how some people put them on a pedestal as "Canada's Greatest Band". Rush is from a different era when Canada was a very different place, and CanCon was still very limited.

Can't really think of what Canadian bands they would be up against, but their new album is definitely very nice. :)

Destroyer, GY!BE, Metz, Wolf Parade within the next few months

Not to take anything away from Antisocialites

Edit: Ought is putting out better music then any of them except for Destoyer.

what's so great about her hair? haha. I don't mean that to sound rude but looks pretty normal to me.

It has great volume and colour and is nicely styled. I dunno, maybe I'm too used to seeing people with shitty highlights and hair that's messy or greasy or thin, lol.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Oh, so this is who did that song I hear on Spotify a lot - I never paid attention to the name.

Best Canadian album so far is BSS' Hug of Thunder, but we'll see what Wolf Parade has to say about that. I really liked "Valley Boy".

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Destroyer, GY!BE, Metz, Wolf Parade within the next few months

Not to take anything away from Antisocialites

Edit: Ought is putting out better music then any of them except for Destoyer.

My man, I need more Ought.

I'm enjoying the hell out of DFA1979s latest from this year if we're talking Canadian albums.

Everyone already forget about Mac DeMarco too?

Plus I like Everything Now

I ain't gonna stand for this Alvvays slander, I'm finna take some of y'all outside for a paddlin I swearrrrrr.

These peeps are awesome, loved their debut and I dug the new one a lot on my first listen. They are coming here and playing a small club next month and I hope to meet em and get some stuff signed haha.

Top Bottom