• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner Blackout 2022 announced: short anime film by Shinichiro Watanabe

PFPFv.gif

duckroll

Nah dude. They called Watanabe up like last week and were like "Hey, have you heard of this Blade Runner thing? It's kinda like The Matrix..."

It does appear to be fast tracked pretty quickly though. The character design sheets in the video show they were finalized in April this year, Flying Lotus completed the music at the end August. Cygames Pictures, the studio working on it, was also only established in April last year. This should be a pretty good first original production for them.

It does appear to be fast tracked pretty quickly though. The character design sheets in the video show they were finalized in April this year, Flying Lotus completed the music at the end August. Cygames Pictures, the studio working on it, was also only established in April last year. This should be a pretty good first original production for them.

I dunno. That doesn't necessarily strike me as "fast tracked". If the character design sheets were finalized in April that gave them ~5 months for what I'm assuming was a 30 minute short, which isn't a crazy short time. If this was suppose to have been done in time to air shortly before the movie's release it makes sense they didn't start till just this year

duckroll

I dunno. That doesn't necessarily strike me as "fast tracked". If the character design sheets were finalized in April that gave them ~5 months for what I'm assuming was a 30 minute short, which isn't a crazy short time. If this was suppose to have been done in time to air shortly before the movie's release it makes sense they didn't start till just this year

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that they were rushing the production, just that the time from deciding to make it and actually going through with production is relatively quick. Which would explain why people comparing it to Animatrix would feel it was more sudden. Animatrix had a long ass gestation period, from the point they first started talking about it in 2001, all the way until it was finally released in 2003. Lots of interviews, little teases, production updates, etc.

mortal

Gold Member
Oh my fucking goodness.

This looks so beautiful. A detailed and well-animated science fiction short directed by Watanabe?

Not to mention, Fly Lo is doing the soundtrack. Yooooo, what the fuck? Am I dreaming?

Jóhann Jóhannsson being removed as the composer for 2049 still stings, but this announcement is certainly pleasing to me.

duckroll

the best two

except i did love the rennasaince one with the graphic battle scenes

Second Renaissance was directed by Mahiro Maeda, who was attached to do an anime tie-in for Mad Max Fury Road which would have covered Furiosa's past. It was in pre-production and then the project fell through.

yamaneko

Oh my fucking goodness.

This looks so beautiful. A detailed and well-animated science fiction short directed by Watanabe?

Not to mention, Fly Lo is doing the soundtrack. Yooooo, what the fuck? Am I dreaming?

Jóhann Jóhannsson being removed as the composer for 2049 still stings, but this announcement is certainly pleasing to me.

WHat?

Ezalc

Second Renaissance was directed by Mahiro Maeda, who was attached to do an anime tie-in for Mad Max Fury Road which would have covered Furiosa's past. It was in pre-production and then the project fell through.

Goddamn it, this would have been glorious.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's releasing tomorrow? Man that was quick, I thought it was a long time coming.

My boss is also excited for the new Blade Runner, so Imma see if I can get the short streaming tomorrow from the office TV. Either way, looking forward to it!

duckroll

Hopefully, but the two live action shorts that preceded it were about 5 minutes each, so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

This seems a little different from those two. The ones by Lucas Scott are basically short intro pieces on new characters who will be in 2049. Blackout 2022 is about a very specific piece of Blade Runner lore - the big blackout in 2022. There's also a special screening in Japan tomorrow for this, so it's looking like it's probably a 30 minute piece or something.

kyser73

I really hope Villeneuve does something similar with Dune. There's so much in the universe to explain & explore, a series of shorts would work wonders in providing audiences with some prep for the world of Dune.

OT - really hyped for this. I've loved the BR2049 shorts so far.

Pretty cool. Some great action choreography towards the end. Decent backstory for the movie too while the first two shorts were more asides.

Trago

That was fucking fantastic! Definitely the best of the shirt films!

Watanabe should do a Blade Runner anime series.

Cess007

The beginning riots reminds me of the Animatrix Renaissance story. Still very cool, and god dammit, I love the atmosphere of the short.

Top Bottom