• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought an Xbox One S but I hardly ever use it

Robot Pants

I only use it as a UHD blu ray player. It's worth it for that. However I got mine for 120 due to that Target scam a while back

bigJP

same situation for me but with the switch
loved zelda, got mario kart but dont think ive touched it for at least a few months
prefer xbox gaming

I want a Slim model but I don't want to spend crazy money on it. I have an OG that I barely use but is taking up so much space on my entertainment center because how big it is. I'd sell it OP.

conpfreak

I already own a PS4 and Switch, but bought a Xbox One S recently. There really isn't much to play that can't be played elsewhere with better performance, so I haven't really used mines either. Honestly, the PS4 is the platform to start with if you want a console.

There's still some great multiplats to play though.

neoemonk

I want an XBox One for the sole purpose of playing Radiant Silvergun.

I'd probably be better off getting a used 360 for it though.

Malreyn

Keep it as a reminder that you're growing out of the video gaming phase of your life in case you ever feel like you just HAVE to buy a Next gen console the next go around.

I kind of want one for 4K Blurays and that's it.

Shame Sony didn't include a UHD drive in the PS4 Pro; it would have saved a lot of people 300 bucks and made their device a whole lot more attractive :/

Why would you when the exclusives are terrible, when the exist, and all the other games are available in often superior form on PC or PS4?

Yeah, good idea.

OP, because your'e not into videogames anymore, I'd suggest buying an $1400 PC and a $400 PS4. It's the only way to truly know if you're done with videogames or if its just the M$ HAS NO EXCLUSIVES syndrome that many return gamers are suffering from. Maybe you just need to try smash cinematic hit UNCHARTER 4 DAKES LOST LAGACY(TM) to verify.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sounds like you have reached that point in your life where you value gaf ot more than gaf gaming.

Welcome. We have been waiting for you.

Personally I just bought mine explicitly as a UHD player; I do not ever plan to get games on it, though being able to maybe re experience Shadows of the Damned might get me to play a game on it.

inner-G

Banned

That's what I did after I finished up Planet Earth 2

Fucking with the HDR/color/black settings on my TV to watch HDR movies was a pain in the ass. Blu-ray movies (1080p) never had such issues. The built-in TV apps handle 4K/HDR more seamlessly even if the bitrate can't compete

I sort of know what you mean.

I got one and while I do use it, I bought it because even though we have a PS4, my GF is on overwatch like all the time on it. So I figured I'd get the Xbox so we would have both systems and can play everything

But I'm starting to feel like I should have just bought a second PS4 lol

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yep twice i bought an Xbox One and ended up selling it. i mean i got to play the exclusives but after that it just turned into a Netflix machine. now that Microsoft isn't doing any true xbox exclusives there is no reason for me to ever get one again. maybe if Halo 6 doesn't come to PC i'll buy a second hand cheap console to play it.

i also have a PS4 + PC so i can now play PS4 exclusives and "Windows 10" exclusives on PC.

xrnzaaas

PS4 imo is a much better choice if you're trying to get back into gaming. There's just so many good exclusives (both AAA & indie). I use my XONE only to play Forza games & Gears (singleplayer) and PS4 covers most of my gaming needs (also helps that all of my friends are on PS4).

I assume announcing Play Anywhere also felt like the final in the coffin for a lot of people, because why bother buying a console when you have the same on PC and with free multiplayer (I'm lazy that way and I like to play on the Xbox instead of my PC, but I won't be buying any future Xbox consoles).

Rizific

same here, and i already have a vanilla xb1. only bought for the 4k bluray player since my pc makes these consoles useless outside that fact. bought a handful of 4k movies but was hardly impressed. dont know if its my tv or what, but IQ just seem to be where i expected it to be.

Rellik

I literally sold my Xbox as they were stood on stage announcing Xbox Play Anywhere. That very second my Xbox became useless because I only had it for exclusives.

That's what I did after I finished up Planet Earth 2

Fucking with the HDR/color/black settings on my TV to watch HDR movies was a pain in the ass. Blu-ray movies (1080p) never had such issues. The built-in TV apps handle 4K/HDR more seamlessly even if the bitrate can't compete

So the issue was your TV or the Xbox?

Crayon

What kind of games are you trying to play? There's all kinds of great alternative stuff for people burned out on traditional games. Maybe try something new?

inner-G

Banned
So the issue was your TV or the Xbox?

The way HDR content is handled. It's similarly a PITA to change settings for HDR games on PS4 Pro. They often look 'dark' unless you change stuff. For whatever reason if I watch Grand Tour or something in HDR on a built-in app, it looks great.

I would say it's the TV, but based on the # of threads we've seen about HDR settings, I think it's just how all HDR TVs/devices handle it at this point. There's no standardization. HDR is a mess on PC too.

m29a

Neo Member
Yep. I saw a brand new Xbox One S on sale in February for $200, picked it up, and now 6 months later it's been powered on a total of maybe 15 times. I was able to get rid of it for $180 to undo that mistake. That said, it's still a decent console for anyone who doesn't have a PC/PS4 (though I'd recommend a PS4 over an XB1 at this point).

Top Bottom