• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED's 2013 Lineup

And on Vita they have:
- high gaming IQ core consumers who are interested in non-mainstream releases.
- a robust digital distro service those consumers like, reducing the need for retail chain support.
- PS+ from Sony which offers a secondary profit model to wring additional money out of titles after release.

Its an ideal world for niche developers/publishers, at least as ideal as any environment can be. They aren't going to get stepped on by the major 3rd parties, they aren't dependent on retail to move units, and they have multiple avenues to monetize games that don't require significant sell through to be profitable.
Also, can't they address the European market themselves directly by just releasing a digital version of the game in English on EU PSN? It's a niche but offers more consumers for a very small additional cost (PEGI rating fees I guess?)

As much as I hate the current pricing of Vita memory cards, a lot of niche games should be digital only rather than be sent to die in retail stores.

Celceta..?! Oh my, YES.

tumblr_inline_mgh5avtNhq1qamhyd.gif

And I'll gladly pick up Ys I & II again if the PC version is a decent enough port.

I tried to skim the thread to see if it had been asked, but is the Ys I+II PC version the same as the PSP? Because I loved that game even more than Felghana and would rebuy on PC.

luxuria

Banned
XSEED, pls. Pls don't stahp. I luv u.

Seriously, XSEED are awesome! Totally excited for the YS games, Pandora's Tower, and Kill is Dead. Never played Valhalla. Are the games any good? Wouldn't mind picking one up to check it out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I tried to skim the thread to see if it had been asked, but is the Ys I+II PC version the same as the PSP? Because I loved that game even more than Felghana and would rebuy on PC.

PC version's a bit different, mostly in terms of art style (which I think is much better and is inarguably less animu than the PSP version), but the PC version also has some issues. I'm curious if XSEED's gotten Falcom to iron out some of the issues, sorta like how they got them to throw widescreen into the other Ys games on Steam.

redlemon

Also, can't they address the European market themselves directly by just releasing a digital version of the game in English on EU PSN? It's a niche but offers more consumers for a very small additional cost (PEGI rating fees I guess?)

As much as I hate the current pricing of Vita memory cards, a lot of niche games should be digital only rather than be sent to die in retail stores.

Has Unchained Blades been peen put up on EU psn? They used to be pretty good about putting up psp games when there wasn't a european publisher for it but Unchained Blades being no show on PSN OR 3DS does make me worry.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PC version's a bit different, mostly in terms of art style (which I think is much better and is inarguably less animu than the PSP version), but the PC version also has some issues. I'm curious if XSEED's gotten Falcom to iron out some of the issues, sorta like how they got them to throw widescreen into the other Ys games on Steam.

Actually Falcom didn't work on the English PC releases of the other games at all, that was all done by a contract programmer. She presumably worked on Chronicles+ too (all but confirmed given some twitter stuff I've seen), so we'll probably see some improvements/enhancements for it too.

Aeana

This is the later PC release which is actually a port of the PSP version, and this includes the switchable portrait styles.

Gunsmithx

Xseed didn't get Falcom to do the widescreen support, they got a programmer over here to do the work and the steam support. I'd assume they would do the same thing again, no idea if they would do much beyond that or if Falcom did anything, I'm curious as to the + in the title.

**Beaten**

omgfloofy

Banned
I know guys... Ys VI is already on PC when it was originally released back in the day... Also didn't Chinese Company port Ys VII to PC and all you need is to replace some files to get English settings. I don't know, but read in another thread here that was the case for Ys VII...

I can see Ys: Celetia getting the same treatment.

Maybe Xseed can do the translation and enhance the port a bit.

I'm late to the party with my response... but if you want the Chinese version, be prepared for crazy SecuROM 8 antics on top of other things. I've not been able to get my Chinese versions of Zero no Kiseki or Ys Seven to run on my computer at all.

This is the later PC release which is actually a port of the PSP version, and this includes the switchable portrait styles.

I'm assuming this means the amazing high quality soundtrack from the PSP would return as well, so I'm in. I trust however it's done, PC version issues will be ironed out before release and I'll be a return buyer.

B.O.O.M

What a crazy good week this has been for vita! SO DAMN GOOD

XSeed you beauty! I was really hoping for Celceta and BOOM! Really looking forward to it

make sure to pick one kick ass box art btw! :p

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yay, there's a + for Chronicles. I hope that's good news. If it is that's my most wanted game on this list.

lack of trails in the sky second chapter is disturbing....

Well, technically they've already announced SC and Third, they've just been rather mum on if they'll actually finish them for awhile now. I wouldn't expect to see it listed with a bunch of new acquisition announcements even if it was coming out soon.

Wowzers. That's quite a lineup -- definitely gonna pick up Celceta and Killer Is Dead, and I'll look into Valhalla Knights and RF4 as well. Fine work, XSEED.

Are these recent-ish handheld Ys games (7, Celceta) on the same level of pipe-hitting action as Oath in Felghana and Origin are? I want to jump in on Hard mode, run and fight really fast, and die a whole lot.

play Ys Seven on Nightmare and you will enjoy it. not as hard as OiF on NM, but still good fun.

UberTag

<weeps and weeps and weeps for Trails in the Sky 2>

What do you want from me, XSEED?
Must I harvest a kidney?
Must I learn Japanese and join your localization team?
Must I launch a hunger strike?

Why won't you give the people this game? Why won't you outsource this localization effort?

<weeps some more>

omgfloofy

Banned
lack of trails in the sky second chapter is disturbing....

Well, technically they've already announced SC and Third, they've just been rather mum on if they'll actually finish them for awhile now. I wouldn't expect to see it listed with a bunch of new acquisition announcements even if it was coming out soon.

They're probably still working on it. It's not an easy game to translate. There is a LOT of work to translate. Jess stated that it took her 9 months to edit the game. This does not include the translating process.

Previously known as Sora no Kiseki and personally referred to as "THAT game," Trails in the Sky (a.k.a. TitS) (ha ha) has been an all-consuming project for the last ~9 months. Many things happened in those 9 months, but I honestly don’t remember much after June because my survival mechanisms kicked in and helpfully blacked out the experience.
Source

Trails in the Sky FC is 1.5 million characters, and SC is approx. 3 million. Twice as long. So you consider the translation, the editing, then all of the other work around it: the red tape. Tom has said before that it's more than just translating and tossing the game onto the market.

Anyway. I'll end with my obligatory comparison pics:
544649936.jpg

709062885.jpg

Why won't you outsource this localization effort?

They did outsource FC, so I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced this as well. That doesn't change the fact that the game is still a massive undertaking, though.

jRPG

I wonder if XSeed will be able to put Celceta onto the EU Store, or if it'll be left to see if any publishers are interested here. Would love to see it get a release here, even if only a digital one.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So you consider the translation, the editing, then all of the other work around it: the red tape. Tom has said before that it's more than just translating and tossing the game onto the market.

And the fact it's less of a priority thanks to FC's poor sales. It's not a safe assumption to say double the text should be double the time.

i wonder what's holding them up. Wizardry can't be that hard to translate.

If the first game didn't sell well they might have just decided not to pursue the other one. With what little attention it seemed to get, I was under the impression it didn't do very well, but I could be totally wrong.

M-PG71C

Ys Vita, Valhalla Knights Vita, and Rune Factory 4 are day-one for me alongside Pandora's Tower. Excellent! Now I need to buy a Vita.

omgfloofy

Banned
And the fact it's less of a priority thanks to FC's poor sales. It's not a safe assumption to say double the text should be double the time.

More or less, yeah.

And Falcom themselves, despite having a leg-up on the game, and started development of both FC and SC at the same time, still took a year and a half to get SC out after FC. This doesn't mean they "started working on it" right after FC came out. Some of the artbooks have character sketches and art from both FC and SC dated as far back as 2000.

C-Jo

That's quite the line up.

I'm definitely in for Celceta and Killer is Dead. Could possibly be convinced for Rune Factory and Valhalla Knights.

creid

Having just replayed Ys I & II on PSP a few months ago I will probably skip the Steam version, but day 1 for Celceta.

Didn't realize Rune Factory had so many fans, is this a game/series I should be checking out?

Top Bottom