• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this name too similar to Bin Laden?

.JayZii

Banned
I can't imagine why you think the person that orchestrated the biggest attack in US history which killed 3,000 people wouldn't be a big deal.

Are you going to build a time machine and go back in time to kill him and erase him from the history books? Because that's the only way. Cool if you are going to do that.
He's not going to be a big deal to kids in ten years. They'll read his name as a footnote about an attack that happened almost 20 years before they were born and remember him as well as kids remember most other historical figures that they learn about in school and probably get him confused with Saddam Hussein.

9KRYh6q.png

While funny, its not a real.

https://www.cato.org/multimedia/media-highlights-tv/2008/2

As for the kid - I would probably pick something else. Bin Laden is one of the extreme examples where you wouldn't want any commonality with a kid's name.

Greddleok

*Can Mr Ben Lada please make his way through security, the plane is waiting for you at the gate*

Sounds like a great way to empty a plane.

It's really fine, I don't think the (fairly remote) phonetic similarity to "bin laden" will make any actual difference in his life whatsoever. I mean, Barack Obama's middle name is "Hussein" and he still got elected twice.

And don't listen to people saying he'll get bullied because of it. I mean, maybe he will once or twice but little kids will find a way to make fun of any name no matter what it is. I mean my name is Cameron and in kindergarten a few kids got a kick out of calling me "camera" and it was about as psychologically scarring as a butterfly landing on me.

Which is to say not at all.

gblues

Banned
bin ladin will be out of the public zeitgeist by the time he's old enough to care about his name

by the time he's a teen it will have been 30 years since 9/11

It's been 70+ years since WWII. How many Adolfs do you know?

I wouldn't do it. It's a bully magnet.

Name him Ben Liftin, and convince him to lift weights from an early age so that later in life he can go up to girls and say "I'm Ben Liftin, can you tell I've been liftin'?"

Dali

What about Richard? Dick Lotta sounds good. Like a male Pussy Galore. Can't go wrong with a Bond reference.

If I knew him as a kid, I'd have called him Ben "insert 9/11 joke" Laden for sure.

I think you should pick another name. Don't name him Oscar and make Ben his middle name, either.

The obvious solution is give him a middle name that sets up a soft-ball lightning rod to distract from your Bin Laden tribute. I suggest "Benjamin Sia Lada". Either that, or train your environment and kid to abbreviate his name to "Benji". I wouldn't worry too much about it either way. Just pick the names you two like.

Dali

The obvious solution is give him a middle name that sets up a soft-ball lightning rod to distract from your Bin Laden tribute. I suggest "Benjamin Sia Lada". Either that, or train your environment and kid to abbreviate his name to "Benji". I wouldn't worry too much about it either way. Just pick the names you two like.
You going for "ben see a lotta...?" or expecting people to take liberties and go the "see ya lata[later]" route?

SephiZack

Many people are saying it's fine but I'm almost sure a name like this will be made fun of by other kids or teenagers at least a couple times in his lifetime.

You going for "ben see a lotta...?" or expecting people to take liberties and go the "see ya lata[later]" route?
I'm thinking the latter. If the name spoken out loud, no one's going to think of Bin Laden when you hear "Benjamin Lotta". The shitty jokes could appear when it's being read aloud by someone who doesn't know how it's pronounced.

Haunted

Many people are saying it's fine but I'm almost sure a name like this will be made fun of by other kids or teenagers at least a couple times in his lifetime.
Kids and teenagers will find a way to make fun of someone if they want to, whether it's the name or something else.

Benjamin Lada seems completely fine to me, OP.

OP, name your kid how you want but you are very smart and forward thinking to consider what other people/kids might nickname or tease your kid with. More parents should think ahead.

To answer your question, Yes.. it sounds very similar to Bin Laden. I would not name my kid this, but its your kid not mine.

My name is Ben Lada or Benjamin Lada.

That's like an actors name, and I like it lot. If he has brown skin it will cause some undue bullying though, I would avoid as awesome as it is.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Name him Lotta or these fine names.

Lotta Lada
Notta Lada
Lali Lulelo Lada
Emapa Lada
Pinaco Lada
Top Ramen Lada

PillarEN

Is this one of those Kojima MGS 2 changing Raiden's Kanji because it looked too much like Bin Laden or sometheng to that effect?

Alcander

Haha I think I've been talked out of it, plus I've already poisoned the well for myself anyway. I do think it sounds like a solid name! Oh well, the search continues.

Top Bottom