• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: How Android beat the iPhone to world domination

I agree that it's an exaggerated statement in terms of total revenue, but an 86% market share is pretty fucking dominant. "But there are so many more Android phones!" you'll say, and, yeah, there are, but that's Apple choosing to deliberately only release one super-premium model every year and pretending that anything other than top shelf and top price is worthless electronic waste.

The SE is a pretty mid range phone isn't it? I was looking at getting that recently, it's pretty much the only iPhone design I like the look of, but it's just too small in the end.

Hesemonni

Banned
Android has a dedicated back-button --> flawless victory.

No but seriously. I'm the designated IT person in our household for whatever reason and it's up to me to update / backup / and whatnot my GF's iPhone 7 and I'm been muscle taught that back button is down left or right instead of up left in an app. No stretching needed and easy to use. Just like Lenovo's trackpad. Once you get used to that thing it's hard to go back. Impossible actually.

Sony

Nintendo
Never understood the Android vs. iPhone comarison. It's an OS to Product comparison. "Android" ranges from 20 dollar phones to 1100 dollar phones. Ofcourse it'll gain marketshare then.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I know Jobs would have dreaded the coming of Android, but it's not like he should have been surprised that someone would come along with a cross-device OS.

iPhone picked its strategy of selling one device with proprietary software, and in that strategy, its one of the most winningest devices in history. Over 1 billion sold. That's amazing. That's a success beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

But it's not going to be the only phone in the world, and all the others run the cross-device Android, and those are just going to total magnitudes more than one company's phone product.

Android has a dedicated back-button --> flawless victory.

No but seriously. I'm the designated IT person in our household for whatever reason and it's up to me to update / backup / and whatnot my GF's iPhone 7 and I'm been muscle taught that back button is down left or right instead of up left in an app. No stretching needed and easy to use. Just like Lenovo's trackpad. Once you get used to that thing it's hard to go back. Impossible actually.

Hmm.. The gesture on iPhone has been "swipe the whole screen from the left to go back" for awhile. By and large you shouldn't be going to the back button on the top-left.

Google didn't have to worry about Apple. Apple suck at building low end stuff. Low to mid tier was always going to be a fight between goog and msft.

CNN should have done a piece on how bad Microsoft fail to offer a competitive OEM platform, at epic style.

Mario007

Appple and Google are in completely different businrssrs. Apple is fine selling the iphone ecosystem and ranking in the money from that. Google is also loving the huge market penetration as it means its products will br usef by more people thus more exposure to advertising and data collection, which is where google makes money. They bought won. The only ones that lost are LG, HTC and Sony but as can be seen by the rise of Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo and Huawei it's not Google's fault but the mismanagement from those companies.

The only thing Google has to worry about is China and its blocking of Google. That's hugr amount of revenue lost as basically google gets nothing from any android phone sold in China.

Android was such a mess when i had my galaxy s4. Waiting on carriers for updates was infuriating and i didnt like how web pages seemed to display better on iOS or having to deal with hacking and loading vanilla OS on it, which ran better but sacrified some of the samsung features i liked. The phone was good mainly for screen size and resolution but it just didnt feel smooth and i was tired of tinkering. Android is great if you want to do all of the crazy customizable options, but i just wanted a phone that was smooth and easy to use. Switched back to ios with the 6 plus and dont think ill ever go back.

My smartphone history is iphone 3gs to htc titan (windows) to galaxy s4 to iphone 6+. I tried all 3 OS first and windows was smooth as hell but the apps didnt exist. Android had the customization but the OS wasnt smooth and can vary by manufacturer. iOS was smooth and had the best app store and powerful SOC but not as much new features as android (nfc, screen, etc).

I dont get why people hate the iphone. It's a great product and actually does pack a very powerful chip inside. Android has similar options too at the high end. You just pick what fits what you want out of your phone.

Usobuko

Banned
Is it so unthinkable that a rising nation like China via their cheap labor / manufacturing costs will come up with several domestic companies riding the smartphone revolution wave and thus competing heavily with Apple there? In prices especially?

Seems like iOS was never going to dominate Android anyway.

Xe4

Banned
I am never going to buy an Apple device. I"ll always go android, because the open ecosystem is a lot more important to me than what Apple offers. That, and I don't think what they charge for their phones is worth it. They mark up a significant amount just for their symbol, and that doesn't interest me.

I am never going to buy an Apple device. I"ll always go android, because the open ecosystem is a lot more important to me than what Apple offers. That, and I don't think what they charge for their phones is worth it. They mark up a significant amount just for their symbol, and that doesn't interest me.

What software do you use on android that isn’t available on iOS? What is “open” on it that benefits you positively?

Even tho, our app's (same content and UX) install base is 90% iOS and 10% Android. That being said, there is almost no money to make on Android and because of that reason alone a lot of apps are iOS only.

Do you think the high end android manufacturers arent marking up their phones a lot either? They are marking them up to nearly the same level when they launch.

Unlike their macbooks, the iphones actually do have high end chips inside. Their A SoC is very powerful and has been ahead of Qualcomm's for years since they surprised them with their 64 bit chip. The camera is always good, but the screen resolution can improve on the non plus model.

To be clear, Apple makes more money because it only targets the high end of the market. There are billions of people coming online today and Apple doesn't really care about them.

Android targets the whole market. Low-end Android is terrible but it's better than nothing.

Low end android has been fine for 5 plus years unless you care about the latest games.

caliph95

I mean the article basically says Android is for poor ppl. Sick fucking lowkey burn there.
Not wrong though they provide more relatively affordable phones compared to apple helps that pretty much every other phone besides apple is an android (microsoft not being much competition)

For me Android won because I had more choice at a variety of price points. Also larger screens much earlier.

Android won because there are what, 50-100 models that run it? I'm just guessing here. Apple usually sells the newest model and the previous model. Not a shocking result.

Jimrpg

8252016103332AM_635_xiaomi_redmi_note_4.jpeg

I recently got my father this - its a Redmi Note 4.

The 2GB Ram/16gb memory costs $130, I got him the 4GB/64gb version that costs $170.

Aside from the camera which is still very serviceable and probably somewhere around iphone 5s/6 quality, everything else is pretty much top notch. The OS is incredibly speedy and the 5.5" screen is gorgeous. The screen is not as bright as the latest iphone, but it is still incredible quality at $170.

I guess many people in the US have plans and get the phone subsidised, but in Australia, there's still significant savings to be had if you buy your phone outright and then sign up to a plan seperately.

The Redmi 4x which is the 5" version starts at $99 and by all accounts is just as good.

After my iphone 6 is on its last legs, I'll probably switch to Android for the first time. The only sad thing is that I'll never get to have an Apple Watch sadly.

Apt101

I think the average person just wants a cheap phone that can text, Facebook, tweet, play a few games, and call 911 if they're being chased by the boogie man. It's not surprising Android rules the world.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Google has the marketshare but they don't have the same level of control (almost none in China) and Apple makes way more money with the iPhone. There is a reason that Google is going to start making their own chips like Apple has for years.

Apple has the better strategy and makes a better phone overall.

Google pays Apple billions every year to be the default search engine on iOS and Google apps are better on iPhone. What does that say?

Typically the system that sells most is the one that consumers think is the best.

Typically the system that sells most is the one that consumers think is the best.

But in this case, it's the one that's flooded the market with plenty of cheap devices. Most consumers don't even have a clue what Android is, they just want a phone - and iPhones are a bit expensive.

magnetic

I have a 150€ Moto G4 Play and I'm honestly amazed at how much quality you get for such relatively little money. I can't think of any part about it that bothers me and thus don't really know what a higher priced or specced phone would benefit me.

Stock Android is (or has become?) so solid that I never think about it while using it, which is always my personal goal. I'm happy that both choices in the mobile world are so solid and viable.

I actually stayed away from Android for a while since I was used to Apple products and just assumed Android was janky.

The way Apple works, domination of markets by share is not inherently their strength.

Apple products are always premium products with a high price so once a consumer electronics market reaches the commodity stage, someone else will beat Apple by volume but Apple's domination of the premium space will ensure they enjoy a high profit margin.

Apple controls like 90% of total smartphone profits despite having something like 20% overall worldwide market share. I would rather be Apple than say Samsung in this regard.

It is...
You cannot get an app that is that convenient from Apple app store aside. The popular one use some roundabout way like pulling from email attachment or cloud storage

You’re talking about file management. That’s not an ecosystem. The fact you can access the file structure isn’t an ecosystem

And iTunes has file sharing for apps. Drag drop and sync.

NekoFever

Android has basically the default. If you want an iPhone you get an iPhone. If you just want a phone and don't really care what model and will take whatever the carrier gives you on your cheap tariff, obviously it's going to be Android.

I mean, statistically despite the market share Android has a lower engagement rate and app revenues than iOS. I'd wager that's because a significant proportion of users don't know or care what their phone can do and don't therefore use those features. My parents both have Android phones but they couldn't tell you that.

That's why I think iOS is really in competition with the high-end Android phones - the Galaxies, Pixels, etc. Even if Android disappeared tomorrow, the people on cheap Android phones that were free on their phone contract aren't going to start buying $600 iPhones.

Game Guru

So long as Apple only makes proprietary OSes for proprietary hardware, they will never have the largest install base compared to OSes made for third-party hardware, but hey, people still buy their products by paying the price Apple asks for, and that's okay. Android and iOS both have a niche and both are successes for making the most money in their respective owners' main business.

Personally I don't call anything done on iTune drag-and-drop as well as requiring Syncing

/Shrug

You can not call it anything but thats what it is. If I wanted a file to play in VLC I could drag and drop it in iTunes.

What I actually do is copy it wirelessly in airvideo because who actually bothers dragging and dropping anymore.

I mean the article basically says Android is for poor ppl. Sick fucking lowkey burn there.
Sorry, its a low-key burn to suggest that poor people buy phones with Android? Or that poor people may own the same operating system as you (God forbid, right?)

What an utterly pompous, pretentious takeaway you've had from the article.

To be clear, Apple makes more money because it only targets the high end of the market. There are billions of people coming online today and Apple doesn't really care about them.

Android targets the whole market. Low-end Android is terrible but it's better than nothing.

And that's not even true anymore. Today's low end Android phone are are actually rather nice now.

dl77

Is it click bait if it’s true?

Apple defined the smartphone, Android became the face of it. That’s a story worth telling.

Not getting into a debate of Android vs iPhone but it's such a stupid statement to make.

Does Android dominate in terms of number of handsets out there? Yes. Does Apple dominate in terms of making the majority of profit from the market? Yes.

You could quite easily flip the article to read 'How Apple beat Android to world domination' and in many respects it's still a true statement.

kiguel182

One of the reasons I switched to iOS was that Google is more interested in making money from ads than products.

Google created an environment where apps need to be free and filled with ads to survive while the App Store is slowly making room for quality paid apps. Completely different mentality from both companies.

Not getting into a debate of Android vs iPhone but it's such a stupid statement to make.

Does Android dominate in terms of number of handsets out there? Yes. Does Apple dominate in terms of making the majority of profit from the market? Yes.

You could quite easily flip the article to read 'How Apple beat Android to world domination' and in many respects it's still a true statement.

Based on Google’s goals they’ve achieved them. I own an iPhone but it’s pretty interesting how successful google has been by being the anti apple.

Mario007

The way Apple works, domination of markets by share is not inherently their strength.

Apple products are always premium products with a high price so once a consumer electronics market reaches the commodity stage, someone else will beat Apple by volume but Apple's domination of the premium space will ensure they enjoy a high profit margin.

Apple controls like 90% of total smartphone profits despite having something like 20% overall worldwide market share. I would rather be Apple than say Samsung in this regard.
But the article talks about Google, not Samsung.

Top Bottom