• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdgh

The assumption is that they want to basically mine Earth for its resources. They don't deliberately want to destroy life or anything, but it's a side effect of their actions and they don't particularly care what happens.

Ronaldo was kind enough to even make a gif.

tumblr_nl6ay5Sf4n1sez0oko1_500.gif

Raxus

This reminds me, do you guys think Steven will ever go to school? I'm pretty sure he'll need to learn human history along with Gem history. Also, will human history cover the Gem War as well? So many questions!

It is an unnecessary complication to a show that is already doing fine as is. We are still getting to know the residents of Beach City as well.

PSqueak

Banned
This reminds me, do you guys think Steven will ever go to school? I'm pretty sure he'll need to learn human history along with Gem history. Also, will human history cover the Gem War as well? So many questions!

He knows how to read, he knows math (seeing how he is well able to use money) and he knows how society works (ie, he obviously seemed to know what the mayor's function is and how he gets the job), i think it's fair to assume he was taught by the gems and possibly Greg the basics he would need to be perfectly functional in society, while dumping everything else for Gem training.

Checked out Fusion Cuisine for the first time (combination of work, repeats of older eps and being behind broadcast region-wise can do that :/) and that was a nice ep.

Garnet crashing and burning during that phone call was hilarious, Greg in that suit and Stephen/Connie are great.

Leave it to Stephen getting scolded harshly for Connie's parents to finally build some rapport with the Gems/Greg LOL.

Also liked that hug and subsequent parting as well.

Maybe i can catch a newer episode or it will be another repeat. :(

Amir0x

Banned
I always have gotten the vibe that, save for Greg, Rose was basically a mother for every living thing ever, while i see why people would feel Amethyst and Pearl had romantic feelings for Rose, i sort of see it as them actually loving her as a mother.

Amethyst's beef with Greg kinda reflects that of childish jelousy of seeing her "mom" dating someone; While Pearl's deal was more along of thinking she was the "favorite child" which also falls in line with middle children and overachieving children (traits that fit Pearl), the way Rose said "My Pearl" can be taken as romantic, but also it's not unlike how mothers talk to their children.

I think for me this mostly comes from the way the series is building up Rose to be this "Mother Goddess" figure, her powerset is Healing, Protecting and giving life, she loved all the creatures of earth, it just screams "Mother" to me.

Pearl and Amethyst fusing could even possibly have been used as "make up with your sister" bonding experience too.

I don't think Amethyst had romantic feelings for Greg or Rose, that was more jealousy that her best bud was being taking away by another friend, which I'm sure plenty of people have experienced that "third wheel" feeling in the past. It's relatable.

But Pearl, after watching the season I do think her feelings might go beyond mere friendship to something a bit more intimate to say the least. I think that's why she is the one that seems most hurt by everything regarding Rose, because she had fused with Rose a lot and might have feelings for her much the same way Ruby and Sapphire have feelings for another that go 'deeper' than mere friends.

Just speculation, but it connects a lot of the dots in my mind about why Pearl seems so disproportionately upset about Rose compared to Amethyst and Garnet. They all clearly are upset over it, but that episode about Pearl thinking Rose told her everything only to find out otherwise really put that relationship in the spotlight that started me wondering if it did not go further between the two.

Anyway, this show got incredibly strong by the second half of the first season, now I appreciate the whole season a lot more and really think this is one of the better cartoons on TV.

You make very good points, but the person you quoted wasn't talking about fusions, he was talking about shape-shifting. So far, aside from Garnet getting stretchy arms that one time, Amythist is the only gem that actively shape shifts and seems to enjoy doing it. She uses it to mimic and mock the other gems, she's turned into animals, and turned into the male Purple Puma wrestler. Garnet seems indifferent to it, Pearl like... actively dislikes it, and Steven ... well, after what happened the one time he tried, can't really blame him for not giving it another go yet.

Shit, you're right the poster I quoted was talking about shapeshifting. Must be tired or something.

Yeah, I purely meant fusions. Shapeshifting I don't think has any particular undercurrent to it as I was discussing it, except Amethyst is inherently more of a wild child and may by default be more drawn to being, well, wild animals and generally crazy with her abilities.

Still, I do think as it relates to fusions, after watching the episodes out again that this is the way I feel about it and the characters relationship with that ability. Shapeshifting doesn't seem to carry as many emotional strings to it as fusions do, ya know?

Raxus

I don't think Amethyst had romantic feelings for Greg or Rose, that was more jealousy that her best bud was being taking away by another friend, which I'm sure plenty of people have experienced that "third wheel" feeling in the past. It's relatable.

But Pearl, after watching the season I do think her feelings might go beyond mere friendship to something a bit more intimate to say the least. I think that's why she is the one that seems most hurt by everything regarding Rose, because she had fused with Rose a lot and might have feelings for her much the same way Ruby and Sapphire have feelings for another that go 'deeper' than mere friends.

Just speculation, but it connects a lot of the dots in my mind about why Pearl seems so disproportionately upset about Rose compared to Amethyst and Garnet. They all clearly are upset over it, but that episode about Pearl thinking Rose told her everything only to find out otherwise really put that relationship in the spotlight that started me wondering if it did not go further between the two.

Anyway, this show got incredibly strong by the second half of the first season, now I appreciate the whole season a lot more and really think this is one of the better cartoons on TV.

After On the Run it is pretty clear Amethyst has some pretty bad abandonment issues and losing Rose to Greg is in line with that as well.

As far as Pearl...it is much harder to get a beat on her. She is one of the most emotional of the gems and she seems like a zealot of Rose's. Heck even Jasper admired Rose's tactics so Pearl must have been in awe. The 'My Pearl' line, the residual resentment to Steven and other factors turn this into a giant grey area until they reveal more. The love was obviously one sided either way otherwise Rose would never have risked everything with Greg.
Amethyst and her shape shifting is elevated by Pearl saying she never commits to being the alligator.

Alligators can't do jazz hands.

I don't think Pearl had romantic feelings for Rose. I see it more as she already has emotional issues and Rose was like her mentor/mother figure and best friend. She thought that she had something special that no other gem had.

KiN0

You make very good points, but the person you quoted wasn't talking about fusions, he was talking about shape-shifting. So far, aside from Garnet getting stretchy arms that one time, Amythist is the only gem that actively shape shifts and seems to enjoy doing it. She uses it to mimic and mock the other gems, she's turned into animals, and turned into the male Purple Puma wrestler. Garnet seems indifferent to it, Pearl like... actively dislikes it, and Steven ... well, after what happened the one time he tried, can't really blame him for not giving it another go yet.

Garnet has shapeshifted into steven for steven tag. Although I can see Amy's shapeshifting as a coping mechanism for her self-loathing. Like she hates everything about herself so she changes form to escape that reality.

On the topic of fusions, who do we think Steven will fuse with first? My bet is on Pearl right now.

Garnet has shapeshifted into steven for steven tag. Although I can see Amy's shapeshifting as a coping mechanism for her self-loathing. Like she hates everything about herself so she changes form to escape that reality.

On the topic of fusions, who do we think Steven will fuse with first? My bet is on Pearl right now.

I'd say Pearl as they seem to have the closest relationship, but in terms of the dancing and stuff I think Amethyst seems to make the most sense since she's the closest one in dancing/fun having to Steven

Amir0x

Banned
After On the Run it is pretty clear Amethyst has some pretty bad abandonment issues and losing Rose to Greg is in line with that as well.

As far as Pearl...it is much harder to get a beat on her. She is one of the most emotional of the gems and she seems like a zealot of Rose's. Heck even Jasper admired Rose's tactics so Pearl must have been in awe. The 'My Pearl' line, the residual resentment to Steven and other factors turn this into a giant grey area until they reveal more. The love was obviously one sided either way otherwise Rose would never have risked everything with Greg.

Oh yeah I definitely agree. In fact, I think part of the point of the episode about Pearl finding out there was all sorts of things about Rose she didn't know was sort of emphasis around the fact the 'obsession' may have been more one sided than Pearl ever imagined. She must have known Rose and Greg were a thing, but to me there is more to Rose/Pearl's relationship than we know yet. Something is definitely going on here :D

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I think the key to Rose and Pearl's relationship (and her relationship with all the Gems) was how her amazing sense of empathy and optimism motivated her to bring together the "rejects" of the gem world and fight for the lost cause of the overlooked humans.

- Ruby and Sapphire were two individually "weak" gems that Rose probably encouraged to fuse together. Following the war they realized how much stronger they were together and came to terms with their amazing co-dependency, choosing to remain together forever.

- Amethyst is the "puny overcooked runt" that Rose sought out and recruited to both prove to all the kindergarden-raised gems that they have value and also they could fight for their true homworld (Earth) as opposed to the world of their creators who were probably apathetic to those who didn't meet their high standards.

- The "lost defective Pearl" quickly became the core of the team that Rose brought over. They were likely enemies at first though. I think Pearl kind of overcompensates in most everything she does, and of all of the Crystal Gems she probably feels the most guilty for her early role in the subjugation of humanity. She had the most trouble out of all of them in "finding" herself during the war (probably after she became injured or 'defective') and Rose eventually showed her a different way. Rose was a mother/big sister figure to all of the Gems, certainly, but I think Pearl placed so much stock in Rose and her cause after turning her back on the Homeworld Gems that she quickly forged the strongest bond to Rose and her cause (though not necessarily humanity, as seen throughout the series).

I'm actually glad that Rose isn't a character in this show, because unless otherwise shown, she's quite the Mary Sue. The only flaws you could really attribute to her would be how she "abandoned" her friends for the sake of this Gem/Human hybrid she thought could bring the races closer together, but then again, I don't think any of them would have cause to speak ill of the "dead".

Amy does it a lot imo for different reasons.

1- It's her knack. The creators say it's her knack, she just got a skill for it. Garnet's knack is the arm strong stuff, Pearl has holograms.

2- She grew up on earth and doesn't have same outlook as the other 2. Shes the only one who embraces earth stuff and culture so she just has more fun with it.

Don't think theres a deep self hatred to it lol

I'd say Pearl as they seem to have the closest relationship, but in terms of the dancing and stuff I think Amethyst seems to make the most sense since she's the closest one in dancing/fun having to Steven
I think Garnet has the closest relationship to Steven. Not only does he listen to her but she listens to him. She's the only one with unwavering faith in him and he looks up to her.

Hell, she's the most mother to him and is the only one to say she loves him. He's basically growing up with Amy and trying to take care of Pearl emotionally (more than the other 2 atleast) .

Garnet is the leader so listening to her team members wouldn't be unheard of, remember that when push comes to shove she treats him like a little boy as well. Pearl and Steven get way too many scenes/episodes together for the writers not to want to push that agenda. We have that whole episode of Pearl singing that she wants to show Steven what true strength is. She acts motherly because she's the leader of the group and like the rest of the gems she loves him sure. But Pearl watches him sleep.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Garnet as a fusion is a very elegant character because she can appear nearly perfect outside of sometimes failing to understand human culture or forgetting to take Steven seriously. Any imperfections can be attributed to either Ruby or Sapphire who support one another to compensate for their flaws.

As for Rose Quartz, maybe the show will never get into it but for all she is remembered as flawless, her imperfection could have been that she originally supported the homeworld plan for Earth. She started her rebellion after the process had begun, after all. Maybe she didn't originally have compassion for humans.

Garnet is the leader so listening to her team members wouldn't be unheard of, remember that when push comes to shove she treats him like a little boy as well. Pearl and Steven get way too many scenes/episodes together for the writers not to want to push that agenda. We have that whole episode of Pearl singing that she wants to show Steven what true strength is. She acts motherly because she's the leader of the group and like the rest of the gems she loves him sure. But Pearl watches him sleep.

Garnet was more of the traditional "Dad." At first, she was the source of distant disipline. This has changed, starting with Future Vision, and even more with Jailbreak, where she is finally opening up more to Steven.

Pearl is the nuturing mom, and Amy is big sis. I fully expect the roles to be subverted somewhat as the storyline progresses and the characters grow out of the archtypes.

A mother knows there's sometimes when you gotta say know to your child because ... they're a child. Steven tried to run-a-way with Connie lol, he's not always right and he's still growing up.

Garnet will hear the ideas from 2 beings that are 1000s of years old, who she's been with for all these years and STILL say " ... No, we'll do it Steven's (the 12 year old boy's) way".
Just as she said in Cat Fingers. Pearl says that it goes to show that "you should always listen to me" and Garnet corrects her with "No, it goes to show that you should have more faith in Steven" because he figured out how to fix it alone. She's always been depicted as having full faith in Steven and being the most loving to him.

All those Pearl episodes lead up to the reveal that ... Pearl either has feelings for Rose or at least obsessive hero worship and often times wonder if Rose can still see her through Steven. This reveals A LOT about why she does what she does. She wants that closeness with Rose in some form again. Unlike Garnet she's overly protective of Steven (So much so that it's restrictive) because she doesn't have very much faith in him. .

KiN0

Amy does it a lot imo for different reasons.

1- It's her knack. The creators say it's her knack, she just got a skill for it. Garnet's knack is the arm strong stuff, Pearl has holograms.

2- She grew up on earth and doesn't have same outlook as the other 2. Shes the only one who embraces earth stuff and culture so she just has more fun with it.

Don't think theres a deep self hatred to it lol

I think Garnet has the closest relationship to Steven. Not only does he listen to her but she listens to him. She's the only one with unwavering faith in him and he looks up to her.

Hell, she's the most mother to him and is the only one to say she loves him. He's basically growing up with Amy and trying to take care of Pearl emotionally (more than the other 2 atleast) .

hehe, I was just throwing theories around. I don't know why but I just want bad things for the cast even though I love them all.

hehe, I was just throwing theories around. I don't know why but I just want bad things for the cast even though I love them all.

Ha, I feel ya!

I had theories that Ruby and Sap "lost themselves" like Sug after Garnet had to fight non-stop for several days to protect her beaten team. I had theories that one of the 2 was obsessed with fusion and staying fused so someone volunteered to become and stay Garnet with them because it was becoming a problem. Theory that 1 would die if they weren't fused for too long.

Was completely blown away when they turned out to be a lesbian couple and nothing sad lol!

A mother knows there's sometimes when you gotta say know to your child because ... they're a child. Steven tried to run-a-way with Connie lol, he's not always right and he's still growing up.

Garnet will hear the ideas from 2 beings that are 1000s of years old, who she's been with for all these years and STILL say " ... No, we'll do it Steven's (the 12 year old boy's) way".
Just as she said in Cat Fingers. Pearl says that it goes to show that "you should always listen to me" and Garnet corrects her with "No, it goes to show that you should have more faith in Steven" because he figured out how to fix it alone. She's always been depicted as having full faith in Steven and being the most loving to him.

All those Pearl episodes lead up to the reveal that ... Pearl either has feelings for Rose or at least obsessive hero worship and often times wonder if Rose can still see her through Steven. This reveals A LOT about why she does what she does. She wants that closeness with Rose in some form again. Unlike Garnet she's overly protective of Steven (So much so that it's restrictive) because she doesn't have very much faith in him. .

You guys might be reading a bit too much but we'll have to see come next season

You guys might be reading a bit too much but we'll have to see come next season

Pearl's feelings for Rose? Besides that scabbard episode she's shown unrelenting pride in being with Rose as a CG. Garnet sees the war for what it was, a maelstrom of destruction and death ... Pearl see's it as a great victory to brag about. When talking to Paridot Pearl's the one who goes all "WE ARE THE CRYSTAL GEMS, PROTECTORS OF THIS WORLD!!!" where as Garnet, the LEADER, just tries to get their plan done without screaming about being CG vs HW gem stuff.

She's a zealot. She doesn't even like humans and thinks lesser of them. She was willing to build a fence with barbed wire to keep humans away from Steven where as Garnet shut that shit idea down because she knows Steven needs to see his DAD and his friends. Seems that Rose was her CORE reason for staying on earth for the most part. Romantic or hero worship, either way she has devoted herself to Rose and her cause.

IDK, maybe it has something to do with up bringing? When I look at them the one with full hearted faith in Steven, who plays with him, who listens to him, who respects and disciplines him, who cries for him and tells him they love him ... sounds far more like a mother to me than what Pearl does.
Makes sense to me. We now know that Garnet is made out of love so naturally she would have a better grasp on showing it than the others.

Oh, as for which gem I think Steven will fuse wit first?
I say Amy. Though Garnet shows the most motherly love and all that Amy is more like a older Sister who goofs around so she' got a leg up on matching Steven. Besides, I can tots see Amy getting her and Steven alone and being attacked by something too strong for her to handle.

Zubz

Banned

I actually don't know if he'd be able to fuse with the gems; maybe he can only fuse with humans/organic lifeforms? I mean, the gem is Rose's, so even if he did try to fuse with a gem, maybe it'd just be their old fusion that they had with Rose. With how much emphasis this show has placed on Steven leading the people of Beach City, I can see the entire town fusing with him alongside Alexandrite (Or whatever the 4 of them plus Lapis/Peridot/Jasper would be) to fight an invading force off or something for the 2nd season finale.

Raxus

Pearl seems to take interest in Steven's Gem side and wants to train him about his Gem history and mother but she doesn't factor in how important Steven's human side is in the grand scheme of things. Garnet seems to have a better understanding of that and
Stevonnie
only further proves to her Steven is better off with the people of Beach City AND the Gems. However, in The Test they all admit they have no idea WTF they are doing lol. Who knows how the gems will treat Steven now he is becoming more and more a member of the Crystal Gems but still is in the dark about so many things.

However, in The Test they all admit they have no idea WTF they are doing lol.

What I took away from it was "parenting ... who REALLY knows wtf they're doing?".

Just try your best and hope things turn out well. I'm sure we have all had that moment when you realize that your parent isn't all knowing or all powerful and they don't always know what to do but they're trying their best because they love you. That's what I took away from Steven, that that was his moment.

hupla

I pretty much shotgunned this show over a 3 day period and i could not be more happy I did. Its rare a show comes along that makes me laugh,think, feel, cry and cheer like this show has, I think its truly something special! Very excited to watch it on an episode by episode basis now

Maron

man I love that full disclosure song so much. The build up, Steven's singing voice, the guitar. But most importantly it's the combination with the ringtone.

I love it because it reminds me of the song in the climax of one of my favorite westerns, For a Few Dollars more. I fucking love the way they bring that chime into the song.

THIS. I feel this song was a tad overlooked since Estelle's amazing Garnet song aired just hte night before, but it's just so good! I love Raven Molisee's design for Steven too, the way she draws him here to get across the complicated emotions in his mind were very well done. That shot with Steven looking at the ship remains at his house and then looking back at his phone may be my favorite.

KiN0

What I took away from it was "parenting ... who REALLY knows wtf they're doing?".

Just try your best and hope things turn out well. I'm sure we have all had that moment when you realize that your parent isn't all knowing or all powerful and they don't always know what to do but they're trying their best because they love you. That's what I took away from Steven, that that was his moment.

I actually got the feeling that it was supposed to show how lost the gems are without rose.

Just finished re watching all of season 1 with my brother. Pretty sure I got him hooked! Now I have another person to talk about the show's lore with, yaaay.....

After seeing everything again, it was a little jarring going back to the first few episodes. Honestly steven was pretty annoying and the show felt very similar to all the other goofy ADD cartoon network shows back then. But its amazing how far the show has come as steven has matured (while still retaining his goofy self and as a result becoming a surprisingly likeable character --- his voice getting slightly deeper may have helped some too). It has captured the perfect balance between whimsical goofyness and maturity. Steven has gone from a simple minded goofball to a potential leader and someone probably even more mature than me. This show is truly something special, easily my favorite show on television.

This is late but I was watching the show and I just realized why there are five gems on the door to the crystal temple. This show is clever with its details.

Steven has had pretty amazing character growth. From Cooky Cat to now. Part of me hope there is a time progression and that those older Stevens weren't just there for show. I also want him to start mastering his powers because they'll need him for the future.

KiN0

I watched Steven and the Stevens today and it had me wondering if we'll be getting any kind of time travel plot. Like, an episode where he travels back in time to meet his mother in person for the purpose of getting answers that even the gems don't have.

vypek

I watched Steven and the Stevens today and it had me wondering if we'll be getting any kind of time travel plot. Like, an episode where he travels back in time to meet his mother in person for the purpose of getting answers that even the gems don't have.

That would be great :)
He destroyed the hourglass that let him travel in that episode as far as I can remember but I would not be surprised if there was another artifact that let him time travel.

Raxus

As far as Steven in the Stevens.

The most interesting thing is there is a scene with Steven in a parachute that has yet to be aired. Another mystery is the bug that appeared in Alone Together.

Toxi

Banned
As far as Steven in the Stevens.

The most interesting thing is there is a scene with Steven in a parachute that has yet to be aired. Another mystery is the bug that appeared in Alone Together.
The parachute scene is from Rose's Room.

I think it's pretty clear... (Regarding protagonists only for this post)

Level 1 - Steven, Ruby, Sapphire, Amethyst, Pearl, Connie(Though non-magical she helps in other ways)

Level 2 - Stevonnie, Garnet, Opal, Steven+Pearl or Amethyst if that happens

Level 3 - Sugilite, Garnet+Anybody, Opal+Anybody, Stevonnie+Anybody

Level 4 - Alexandrite

Seeing Opal and Garnet fighting at the same time in the first half of the season 1 finale made this even more obvious.

KiN0

I think it's pretty clear... (Regarding protagonists only for this post)

Level 1 - Steven, Ruby, Sapphire, Amethyst, Pearl, Connie(Though non-magical she helps in other ways)

Level 2 - Stevonnie, Garnet, Opal, Steven+Pearl or Amethyst if that happens

Level 3 - Sugilite, Garnet+Anybody, Opal+Anybody, Stevonnie+Anybody

Level 4 - Alexandrite

Seeing Opal and Garnet fighting at the same time in the first half of the season 1 finale made this even more obvious.
You're putting stevonnie on the same level as opal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom