• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catvoca

Banned
Prima Donna is the EP of the year for me.

Either that or Emotion Side B, but likely Prima Donna.

Sick of these rappers not selling no drugs
Sick of this industry playing these games
Sick of my enemies saying my name
Harder than niggas since Hollister nigga
I’ll body a nigga for saying I can't
You should have known I go hard in the paint
You should have known ain't no stopping my wave

If I had an anime gif, it'd go here. Preferably something with flames.

Might be my favourite music release this year period.

Glass Rebel

I revisited Cashmere and while I think it won't have the lasting power of some other 2016 releases (in part because of Heems completely phoning it in on some of the songs) it still resonates on some levels that no other album has. As a second generation Muslim immigrant I really appreciate the themes they touch upon, even if they are only on a surface level. Also:

I'm so fly, bitch
but I'm on a no fly list
you're not fly, shit
why they let you on like a pilot?

is one of my favourite hooks. So catchy.

Donald Trump is president and Fidel Castro recently passed.

Immortal Technique about to drop a double album on us brehs
wow.png

PlayDat

Unbelievable.

I don't see what's hard to believe about that. Biggie had already been dead for five months by the time Lil Yachty was born. Interviewers should cut these young rappers some slack. It's perfectly fine to create art without being the least bit acquainted with your forebearers.

IrishNinja

Donald Trump is president and Fidel Castro recently passed.

Immortal Technique about to drop a double album on us brehs
wow.png

2016's harshest gift

RIP Wu-Tang Clan. U-God suing the group for $2.5 million.

Can a Wu-Stan make a clever joke I can steal as a thread title.

At the height of their fame and glory, they turned on one another
Each struggling in vain for ultimate supremacy
In the passion and depth of their struggle
The very art that had raised them to such Olympian heights was lost
Their techniques vanished

this was admittedly more relevant when rae & co were having troubles in the early aughts and they weren't as far removed from clan effort greatness

Cheddahz

Banned
probably not my final list, but here ya go (stealing this from another thread):

joyce manor - cody
dedekind cut - $uccessor
preoccupations - s/t
kaytranada - 99.9%
hamilton leithauser + rostam - i had a dream that you were mine

wish i didn't have to limit to the five albums, but those are the ones i've constantly gone back to this year

edit: other albums i would add to my list of "releases i've enjoyed this year"

charli xcx - vroom vroom ep
danny brown - atrocity exhibition
elvis depressedly - california dreamin'
swetshop boys - cashmere
a tribe called quest - we got it from here...thank you 4 your service
vince staples - prima donna
tony molina - confront the truth
pinkshinyultrablast - grandfeathered
jeremih - late nights: europe
arca - entrañas

Bacon

Yeah after one listen redbone is the best thing on it. Rest is decent but redbone is definitely something else.

What the fuck is Kanyetothe?
Kanyetothe is the biggest Kanye fan site.
That's the name.
Kanyetothe.com
Why you on lsa
dame2.png
Like a year ago I wanted to see what the female Coli was like, and surprisingly it was much worse on every level compared to Thecoli, and even worse than KTT language and reasoning wise.
Now I pop in every now and then to see what nonsense they spew about rappers/Hip Hop.

PlayDat

Vince Staples interview with Passionweiss.
Vince Staples said:
Ken Bone said he was thinking about voting for [Trump] because he works in the coal mining industry, and he was saying some good things about the coal mining industry. I doubt that Ken Bone has one negative bone in his body. He looks like a sweetheart. But that might be who he voted for. You can’t look at him and be like, oh, he hates everyone. It’s just—promises. People promise people certain things.
Vince Staples said:
I think I’m gonna run for president when I turn 62. And my whole campaign is gonna be about global warming and cakes and ice cream, ‘cause everybody likes cakes.
Vince Staples said:
And I played Medal of Honor, because I used to like world history when I was a kid and it was based on the Second World War. ... Yeah. It was super, uh, sad, too. I learned a lot about messed up things I didn’t know about. It was based on real-life occurrences—people’s war stories and whatnot. Made me sad. Wanted to hug them.
It's technically promo for Watch Dogs 2. The song he did for Good Times Ahead made the soundtrack.
Was listening to freshmen adjustment recently, still so dam good

I heavily fuck with My Way, Keep the Receipt, and Gossip Files (some proto-New Slaves bars in this). Never listened to the full mixtape though.

IrishNinja

ya'll think these vince quotes are cute, wait till he reads some shit and gets #woke, then he's next to lupe on a FOX segment wearing a trump hat and talmbout the feminization of america or some shit

ya'll think these vince quotes are cute, wait till he reads some shit and gets #woke, then he's next to lupe on a FOX segment wearing a trump hat and talmbout the feminization of america or some shit

Stay woke!

That Medal of Honor quote though....wow not the smartest comment I've read.

FZZ

Banned
How in THE FUCK was 21 Savage the first person to say a line as simplistic and yet genius as

My metro used to boom bitch

PlayDat

If you read the full interview it's clear that Vince wasn't being 100% serious with his answers. He was playing Watch Dogs the whole time. I doubt he was giving the questions his full attention. I don't always agree with him, but he's clearly a smart guy with a good sense of humor.

EPs I liked this year.
Noname - Telefone
Audio Push - Inside the Vibe
Oddisee - Alwasta
Xlyoid - Assemblage
BLVC SVND - lost introvert

Didn't come out this year but I slept on them until now.
Alchemist - Yacht Rock
Tory Lanez - Cruel Intentions
Westside Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 2
Lupe Fiasco - Pharaoh Height
Sean Leon - Narcissus, The Drowning of Ego (this is a little too long to be considered an EP, but it's really cool and deserves more exposure)
Peebs the Prophet - Ills of the Earth EP
K. Flay - West Ghost
Chazzzy - ~
Joywave - 88888

I hope I get around to Antwon and Kodie Shane's respective EPs in the next few weeks.

God, I have so many albums left to listen to before 2016 is up and I've made practically zero dent in my backlog.

I listened to that Abra EP though, Cheddahz, that was really dope. Was really vibing with a lot of the songs on there.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The kids love 21. They love that dark Metro production and his non-chalant delivery. Detachment is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom