• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
DH17jR6XoAAuFql.jpg:large

I wish the DNC wouldn't do this.

pigeon

Banned
DH17jR6XoAAuFql.jpg:large

I wish the DNC wouldn't do this.

Honestly, the thing that stands out about it is that they clearly also think it's dumb. Look how little work they put in.

I think there is a right way to do this, but it involves saying, basically, "the reason nobody promises a border wall is that it's so dumb and inhumane it could never be done, and Trump can't get it done either."

Blader

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...kers-making-strides-on-tax-reform-plan-241873

Among the decisions that the White House, Treasury and congressional leaders have settled on is that any tax proposal will require U.S. companies to bring back earnings from overseas at a one-time low tax rate, a favorite proposal of the business community known as repatriation.

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm generally in favor of repatriation, but letting them bring back that money at a 'one-time low tax rate' seems like those companies are being let off the hook in a huge way?

Teggy

Manafort is truly stupid for willingly hitching himself to a presidential campaign when he was this up to his eyeballs in foreign money and connections.

My pet conspiracy theory is that Manafort was ordered by the Russians to be trumps campaign manager in exchange for forgiving his Russian debts. He didn't take a salary from Trump, correct? Maybe that's how he convinced them to give him the job.

When he got fired, the Russians saw it as failure and reinstated his debt. He then immediately took on new loans (this was reported) to pay them off.

On the one hand it's totally insane, but on the other hand..,

The only North Carolina redistricting hearing for constituents is today at 4:00 pm (in NC obv). Share this info if you can! If you're in NC and want to stop by, the hearings are being held at:

The NCGA is tasked with drawing new maps. This Tuesday will be the ONLY time NCGA reps will allow their constituents to be heard

Triangle: Legislative Office Building Room 643, 300 N. Salisbury St. in Raleigh

Charlotte: Central Piedmont Community College, 1112 Charlottetowne Ave. (Hall Building, Rooms 215/216)

Fayetteville: Fayetteville Technical Community College, 2817 Fort Bragg Road (General Classroom Bldg)

Western NC: Caldwell Community College, 2855 Hickory Boulevard (Bldg B) in Hudson

Triad: Guilford Technical Community College Jamestown Campus, 601 East Main Street (Medline Campus Center) in Jamestown

Northeastern NC: Halifax Community College 100 College Road Bldg 100 Room 108 in Weldon

For a better list, more information, or if you aren't in NC and simply want to speak your piece, visit:

https://democracync.org/take-action/fairmaps/

Written comments can be mailed to:

Redistricting
300 N. Salisbury Street, Suite 545
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925

Mike M

Nick N
Basically, we shouldn't mention the border wall without also mentioning that we're against it because it's evil. Otherwise we're normalizing it.

Yeah, that statement easily reads as grousing that Trump isn't delivering on the wall promised because they desire it. It's kind of difficult to argue that it could even be interpreted otherwise; if this had come from pretty much anything/anyone but the DNC and someone came in and defended it with "Oh, they're just pointing out the whole idea is bad," they'd be dogpiled out of the thread.

Basically, we shouldn't mention the border wall without also mentioning that we're against it because it's evil. Otherwise we're normalizing it.
Right, but we still have to mention it

You just cant allow such an outlandish campaign promise slide. Dropping it because you don't want to talk about it is giving him a pass

Those McConnell numbers are brutal. Wouldn't get my hopes up, as we saw him win easily with similarly bad numbers in 2014, but we should absolutely field a decent challenger against him. There's a handful of good targets in 2020, but it dries up pretty quickly. Imo, this is our list:

Colorado
Maine (no Collins)
North Carolina
Georgia
Montana
Iowa
Alaska
Louisiana
Kentucky

Imagine getting to 60 again in time for the next Democratic president...

Also, Roanoke College poll of Virginia governor has Northam up 7, 43-36. Wish those undecideds would go down so I'd feel better about this.

I'm guessing there's not a huge amount of room for improvement over Clinton's 2016 numbers because she punched well above her weight in Virginia compared to nationally - probably a factor of Kaine being on the ballot, but also Virginia's shift blue (I'd imagine) comes partially from former Republicans who recognize Trump as crazy. It's a state where it might be more important to hold onto any Romney -> Clinton voters than it is to win back any Obama -> Trump voters, because we know the first camp is part of a winning coalition.

Mike M

Nick N
Ugh, Paul Ryan coming to town.

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) is making a trip to the Pacific Northwest this week to lay out the Republican tax reform plan. Ryan will make stops at Intel Corp. in Hillsboro, Ore., and Boeing Co. in Everett, Wa.

Ryan, whose website says “we have the worst tax code for businesses in the industrialized world,” will tour Boeing’s Everett production facility on Thursday and participate in a town hall with employees. The event event starts at 8 a.m. PT and can be watched via livestream from the speaker’s website.

Honestly not exactly sure what kind of reception he's going to get at Boeing. The union is pro-Dem to my knowledge, but no idea how the rank and file lean.

studyguy

Fuck the border wall, that shit's such a fucking grotesque banner for racism. Hand wringing about messaging is silly. Just mentioning it is enough, people already forget what that moron has promised to do just a few weeks ago, nevermind his campaign promises.

pigeon

Banned
Right, but we still have to mention it

You just cant allow such an outlandish campaign promise slide. Dropping it because you don't want to talk about it is giving him a pass

I think I was pretty explicit that the problem is not that they mentioned it but that they did it wrong

AndyD

aka andydumi
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...kers-making-strides-on-tax-reform-plan-241873

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm generally in favor of repatriation, but letting them bring back that money at a 'one-time low tax rate' seems like those companies are being let off the hook in a huge way?

Yep. It's exactly what they have been waiting for. Cycle repeats after this until the next tax break.

Realistically though, if you give them a break from 35 to 30 and the new rate is 25, then it's seen as a middle ground where they are "penalized" for holding out vs. new rate, but also given a break vs. old rate.

Vixdean

I don't see any problem with that border wall statement. Obviously pointing out Trump is a bigot didn't work for Hillary because that's what they liked about him! The whole "he tells it like it is" bullshit was just code for "he hates brown people just as much as we do!". The better angle is obviously that he's an incompetent liar who sold you all a bill of goods.

kirblar

I don't see any problem with that border wall statement. Obviously pointing out Trump is a bigot didn't work for Hillary because that's what they liked about him! The whole "he tells it like it is" bullshit was just code for "he hates brown people just as much as we do!". The better angle is obviously that he's an incompetent liar who sold you all a bill of goods.
They're deliberately not hitting beat #1 because it turns out a whole bunch of angry white rural people get REALLY energized when you do that and has a massive backfire effect.

I'm okay with repatriation as long as the revamped tax codes/laws make it so that the things American companies were doing to hang onto wealth overseas becomes outlawed & carries heavy penalties.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

Honestly not exactly sure what kind of reception he's going to get at Boeing. The union is pro-Dem to my knowledge, but no idea how the rank and file lean.
He's here in Boise today. My wife is catering the event. She said they refused to tell them what venue it would be at until a day or two ago for security reasons. She's plating the lunch at his speech and said security had to go through all of their shit and that there are protestors and bomb sniffing dogs and all sorts of shit. It sounds like a huge pain in the ass. It blows my mind that anyone would spend thousands of dollars to have lunch with an invertebrate.

Trump at 35/60 in Gallup today.

More important than the daily number is the trend going back months. Trump's approval has its peaks and valleys but they keep getting lower and lower. A "good" day for Trump in May would have him around 42/53 and a bad one would be like 38/57. Now a "good" day for Trump in August looks like a bad day from May and the bad days are where he's hitting 60 disapprove.

Trump at 35/60 in Gallup today.

More important than the daily number is the trend going back months. Trump's approval has its peaks and valleys but they keep getting lower and lower. A "good" day for Trump in May would have him around 42/53 and a bad one would be like 38/57. Now a "good" day for Trump in August looks like a bad day from May and the bad days are where he's hitting 60 disapprove.

Again, though, this CNN article makes me pause on some of these numbers.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politics/trump-favorable-rust-belt-election-day/index.html

Washington (CNN)A new poll in Rust Belt states over the weekend had some stark news for President Donald Trump: His job approval was under 40%. Only about a quarter said they were proud of him. Broad majorities said they were embarrassed.

But his favorable ratings? They are basically the same as what they were on Election Day.
The new numbers from a NBC/Marist survey show that the President's favorable numbers look very, very similar to where they were almost 10 months ago when he was elected.

Trump's favorable rating was 39% in Michigan, 35% in Wisconsin and 42% in Pennsylvania on Election Day among those who came out to vote, according to exit polls. Those numbers are now 34% in Michigan, 32% in Wisconsin and 35% in Pennsylvania among all voters. Plus, Trump's unfavorable ratings are within 3 percentage points of his Election Day ratings.

But these numbers may even be closer than they appear. The NBC/Marist poll is among all registered voters -- a group that tends to lean a little more Democratic than the actual electorate because core Democratic groups turn out at slightly lower rates than core Republican groups.

So if we do a little back-of-the-envelope weighting to match the party splits of the NBC/Marist poll to the party splits of the people who actually showed up for the 2016 election, it pegs all three Rust Belt favorable and unfavorable ratings at or within the margin of error.

(If anything, Trump's favorability numbers have dropped just slightly, especially in Pennsylvania.)

So why is Trump's favorable rating so much lower than his proportion of the vote -- roughly 46 percent of people nationally? It's easy to forget that almost a quarter of Rust Belt voters who ended up pulling the lever for Trump were holding their noses while they did it.

Indeed, exit polls from the 2016 election showed that about one in five Trump voters nationally cast their ballots for him even though they didn't like him, trust him, think he was qualified or had the temperament to do the job.

This means one in 10 voters overall in Michigan and Pennsylvania and one in eight voters in Wisconsin cast their ballots for Trump even though they had an unfavorable view of him. Note: Clinton had a similar problem with her supporters, though she had about half as many voters who viewed her unfavorably as Trump did.

Trump won among people who didn't like both candidates by 20 to 30 percentage points in each Rust Belt state.

Unfavorable means nothing if these people still want to vote for him. I guess I caution anyone who thinks that these numbers mean that Trump cannot win in 2020, because a lot of people who don't like him still voted for him. And even with her relatively higher favorables, people that hated both candidates still voted for Trump.

So basically, please don't nominate someone as reviled as Hillary Clinton, Dems. Thanks.

Jeels

The whole Afghan war makes me depressed. I spent over a year there and we actually made a lot of progress with the locals. It was later handed over to the Afghan army and I learned later that our FOB was overrun by Taliban a year after we left, the school was burned down and the town was mortared.

Really sorry to hear that. You did good. Thanks for trying to make the world a better place. :(

Religious wars can't be won. Us continuing to stay there is just a waste of life and resources.

Also I bet that Trump rally doesn't happen tonight. Too many protestors are going to show up.

There was always going to be more room to move the approvals than the favorables since the latter were starting so low. The people who didn't like Trump but voted for him anyway because a "successful" businessman could turn the country around (and because they also didn't like Clinton) were going to be the lowest hanging fruit in terms of voters to flip.

Not saying 2020 is in the bag or anything (it's not inconceivable that his numbers go up between now and then) and we certainly shouldn't repeat the mistakes of (a) nominating someone unpopular and (b) trying to make the campaign exclusively about Trump's character. Certainly though, the trend in Trump's approvals is good news.

Blader

Again, though, this CNN article makes me pause on some of these numbers.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politics/trump-favorable-rust-belt-election-day/index.html

Unfavorable means nothing if these people still want to vote for him. I guess I caution anyone who thinks that these numbers mean that Trump cannot win in 2020, because a lot of people who don't like him still voted for him. And even with her relatively higher favorables, people that hated both candidates still voted for Trump.

So basically, please don't nominate someone as reviled as Hillary Clinton, Dems. Thanks.

I think people are in general grossly underestimating Trump's chances to win re-election. It will be much easier for him to turn it around in 2020, even with mid-30s and dropping approval ratings, than it was for him to win the first time around. Once you're in, you're in, and voters can be very skittish about upending that status quo.

There was always going to be more room to move the approvals than the favorables since the latter were starting so low. The people who didn't like Trump but voted for him anyway because a "successful" businessman could turn the country around (and because they also didn't like Clinton) were going to be the lowest hanging fruit in terms of voters to flip.

Not saying 2020 is in the bag or anything (it's not inconceivable that his numbers go up between now and then) and we certainly shouldn't repeat the mistakes of (a) nominating someone unpopular and (b) trying to make the campaign exclusively about Trump's character. Certainly though, the trend in Trump's approvals is good news.
Yes yes, I just don't want anyone to think THERE'S NO WAY HE COULD BE REELECTED WITH BAD NUMBERS.

I think people are in general grossly underestimating Trump's chances to win re-election. It will be much easier for him to turn it around in 2020, even with mid-30s and dropping approval ratings, than it was for him to win the first time around. Once you're in, you're in, and voters can be very skittish about upending that status quo.

I also don't know about this and don't think this is right.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I was more nervous about 2016 than I am about 2020. Hillary was despised by large swaths of people. Democrats would have to actively try to find someone with that much political baggage and unfavorability to run.

I disagree. I would argue there's a tendency for people to overestimate the difficulty in beating an incumbent president because the last three were re-elected. However, all three had decent-to-good approvals around election time. I wouldn't be too confident right now because the election is a long way away and there's a lot of uncertainty, but in order to get re-elected he'll need to convince people he isn't incompetent and he'll have a much harder time getting away with making wild promises based on not having a real track record.

Blader

Trump needed a perfect storm of factors to win last year. He's the president now. He can give some meager middle-class tax cuts, juice the economy for a short-term burst, and maybe do another everybody-loves-this military strike in 2020 to grease the wheels just long enough to get through re-election. He doesn't need to hit 60 percent approval and coast on it for three years to make it through again, he just needs to push the needle a little bit right at the finish line.

Our best chance at beating Trump is for someone on the right to try and primary him. Not that he would lose a primary challenge, but it would weaken his standing. If there is no Republican primary in 2019/2020, I feel less confident about a Dem winning.

Trump needed a perfect storm of factors to win last year. He's the president now. He can give some meager middle-class tax cuts, juice the economy for a short-term burst, and maybe do another everybody-loves-this military strike in 2020 to grease the wheels just long enough to get through re-election. He doesn't need to hit 60 percent approval and coast on it for three years to make it through again, he just needs to push the needle a little bit right at the finish line.

Our best chance at beating Trump is for someone on the right to try and primary him. Not that he would lose a primary challenge, but it would weaken his standing. If there is no Republican primary in 2019/2020, I feel less confident about a Dem winning.

No one is saying he needs to maintain 60% approval for three years to get re-elected. But he sure as hell needs to improve his numbers from where they are now (which again, I am not saying can't happen) for "pushing the needle a little bit right at the finish line" to save him. It's one thing to go into election season sitting at 45, and another entirely to go in sitting at 35.

Obama was considered vulnerable in 2012, despite a nice list of accomplishments and higher approval than Trump. Trump will be bogged by with 4 years of constant scandals, no accomplishments, and a low approval.

He can give some meager middle-class tax cuts, juice the economy for a short-term burst
Trump can't cut taxes and might not even have the House or Senate at this point to make an attempt.

Also, Obama won 53% of the vote in 2008. He had room to drop in 2012 and still win.

Trump won 46% of the vote in 2016. He doesn't have a lot of room to lose any of his voters.

Obama was considered vulnerable in 2012, despite a nice list of accomplishments and higher approval than Trump. Trump will be bogged by with 4 years of constant scandals, no accomplishments, and a low approval.

Trump can't cut taxes and might not even have the House or Senate at this point to make an attempt.
Some dark predictions involve Trump replacing Yellin next February with a stooge who will irresponsibly cut interest rates in 2020, and deal with fallout from inflation in 2021 after Trump's wins reelection. So getting a responsible Fed chair is critical, too.

oh hey Enten just published a piece on fake polls. no guesses which one is central to it!

Is Kid Rock leading the U.S. Senate race in Michigan? A story like that is essentially designed to go viral, and that's exactly what happened when Delphi Analytica released a poll fielded from July 14 to July 18. Republican Kid Rock earned 30 percent to Sen. Debbie Stabenow's 26 percent. A sitting U.S. senator was losing to a man who sang the lyric, ”If I was president of the good ol' USA, you know I'd turn our churches into strip clubs and watch the whole world pray."

The result was so amazing that the poll was quickly spread around the political sections of the internet. Websites like Daily Caller, Political Wire and Twitchy all wrote about it. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted it out. And finally, Kid Rock himself shared an article from Gateway Pundit about the poll.

There was just one problem: Nobody knew if the poll was real. Delphi Analytica's website came online July 6, mere weeks before the Kid Rock poll was supposedly conducted. The pollster had basically no fingerprint on the web.

Indeed, Delphi Analytica isn't a polling firm in any traditional sense, and it's not entirely clear they even conducted the poll as advertised.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
My wife is rad. Paul Ryan came over to shake hands with her catering staff, and she dodged it and walked away. "The minute I saw him going to shake hands, I was out!" She says there's a fuckton of protestors outside and that she hid her face as they pulled up to the event.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
oh hey Enten just published a piece on fake polls. no guesses which one is central to it!

Not a surprise, but didn't another reputable company do one later that week that showed something similar (at least closer than we would want it)? I can't recall the name, but they were a group that actually didn't do too bad in 2016. I remember Enten posting the link on Twitter. Trafalgar, maybe?

My wife is rad. Paul Ryan came over to shake hands with her catering staff, and she dodged it and walked away. "The minute I saw him going to shake hands, I was out!" She says there's a fuckton of protestors outside and that she hid her face as they pulled up to the event.

Did he offer to wash dishes for 30 seconds and then leave after photos?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Union rank and file is surprisingly pro-Trump, even considering it is a fairly diverse workforce. Him drawing the crowds in Everett during the campaign should have raised alarm bells that he was picking up people who otherwise have voted D and have many progressive viewpoints.

I wonder what the process is for the Q&A and who gets in.

What is Paul Ryan expecting going to the north west?

That's like the most concentrated liberal area in the entire country.

Also where a lot of the manufacturing remaining in the country is located, and tax changes / trade changes have a huge impact on Boeing (because 85% of the sales are to foreign countries) comparatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom