• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
metareferential said:
I just did the worst thing ever: wake up early, two hours ago.

It's 9:30 am here, I have a tedious hyper-hyped day of waiting ahead of me.

I'll just kill myself, I guess.

xD

It's 9:40 now here aswell, I feel your pain.

Zerokku, here is your Avatar :)

pikachuspy-portalt7o8.png

Hope you like it dude :)

Again... if you don't or would rather it done differently... let me know.

It's supposed to seem like Pikachu is going through a portal that is a bit further off into the distance. I also drew in the bits that were missing.

Edit - thought it might look better with a border. You're free to choose.

pikaspywbordero793.png

Edit 2 - god... this flu is really fucking with my head, I was struggling for space editing your original avatar and didn't realise that it could be BIGGER with the new rules. So - here is an even BETTER version

pikacho4s7j2.png

Edit 3 - Attempt number 4.... Border, re - tried proportions and made the text one line.

number-4s7hl.png

derFeef

Very nice from you, ColonialRaptor, making all the Avatars :)
Also - we propably would need a Spoiler thread down the road.

derFeef said:
Very nice from you, ColonialRaptor, making all the Avatars :)
Also - we propably would need a Spoiler thread down the road.

Thanks man :)

I'm really quite enjoying it. I want to see my work all over GAF while I'm posting, that way I can feel proud that people are enjoying my work. :p

Plus I'm a huge Portal fan, so the more avatars out there the better.

I think a Spoiler thread will be a definite requirement.

EatChildren said:
I'm in Australia too, so I hope it unlocks. Basically I'm, for once, going to hype myself up and expect the impossible to be made possible. I'm thinking that yes, it will be unlocked tonight. The ARG seems to be pointing towards that, at least from my perspective.

This is Valve and it is the internet hype machine so no matter what choice you make there's always a chance things wont go as planned. But end of the day, if it unlocks in eight hours I do not want to miss out. No sir.

I look foward to Valve games more than I look forward to new hardware. This is why I game as far as I'm concerned.

Oh man. I just completed my purchase :D

What's your Steam ID?

Do you have an Aussie Co-Op partner lined up? Because if you don't... then I'm definitely your man! I don't have a steam partner yet.

I think you and I are similar in our fandom. I am just so damn excited about this. Half Life was the first game that I ever purchased for myself. Every other game that I had had been xmas gifts or birthday presents. We got a Laptop in Year 8 at high school and I bought Half Life for that. I still remember how good it was to play an FPS game with a nipple mouse. Ever since, I've been a complete Valve fanboy (except I didn't really like their last 3 releases L4D etc) so to me this is like their first big release in 4 years and I'm fucking going NUTS with excitement.

The idea that we could play it this weekend just makes me giddy. However, I think in 9 hours the final test will happen

GlaDOS(?) said:
The time is near, humans. But it is not here yet. Tomorrow you will be given the final test. Then it will be entirely in your hands when I am freed.

Mark my words, when that timer ticks over I will be putting my entire brain capacity (however limited it is considering how sick I am) to full use. It's going to be 1am here too... prime brain working time for me.

Untracked

Just woke up and I see a countdown!
I want to believe, but this is GlaDOS we're dealing with.
She could be testing us, to see if we remain optimistic in an atmosphere of extreme pessimism...

Valve you beautiful bastards! <3

Jesus... are Steam downloads usually this slow? I'm getting 140kb/s on my Portal 2 pre-load?

I suppose I don't need it to be any faster...

10gig of yum.

Truant

So is the lighting fully dynamic now? the QuickLook had a lot of moving shadows and whatnot, but the IQ wasn't quite there in the 360 version. Any ideas on how the PC version runs on a decent rig?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ColonialRaptor said:
TOh man. I just completed my purchase :D

What's your Steam ID?

Do you have an Aussie Co-Op partner lined up? Because if you don't... then I'm definitely your man! I don't have a steam partner yet.

I think you and I are similar in our fandom. I am just so damn excited about this. Half Life was the first game that I ever purchased for myself. Every other game that I had had been xmas gifts or birthday presents. We got a Laptop in Year 8 at high school and I bought Half Life for that. I still remember how good it was to play an FPS game with a nipple mouse. Ever since, I've been a complete Valve fanboy (except I didn't really like their last 3 releases L4D etc) so to me this is like their first big release in 4 years and I'm fucking going NUTS with excitement.

The idea that we could play it this weekend just makes me giddy. However, I think in 9 hours the final test will happen.

EatChildren is my Steam addy, and I would be happy to co-op with you. But I'll be doing the single player first though, and if you'd rather get the the co-op done with someone else before I'm ready by all means do so. I'm sure plenty of AusGAF will be eager to do it too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Truant said:
So is the lighting fully dynamic now? the QuickLook had a lot of moving shadows and whatnot, but the IQ wasn't quite there in the 360 version. Any ideas on how the PC version runs on a decent rig?

Yep.

Given it's the Source Engine there's really no need to worry. I imagine the dynamic HDR lighting and shadows will cripple lower-tier cards, but most should be fine. As long as you have a mid-tier GPU, the framerate should be good-great.

Truant

Awesome. I installed it on my new MBP as well, will be playing on the train ride home. It's the 2GHZ 15" so it's not that fast when it comes to fancy graphics, but it should do.

JaseC

Truant said:
Awesome. I installed it on my new MBP as well, will be playing on the train ride home. It's the 2GHZ 15" so it's not that fast when it comes to fancy graphics, but it should do.

If it can run Alien Swarm acceptably, expect more or less the same for Portal 2.

JaseC

InsertNameHere said:
Should work alright on my low-end 2009 13" Macbook Pro, right? Meets the minimum requirements anyway.

Run Alien Swarm and see how you go. It, too, is based off a recent build of the Source Engine.

Portal 2 may and likely will have some more bells and whistles, but Alien Swarm should give you a general idea of how your system will perform.

Salsa

Its a Source game, is gonna run more than fine in most rigs, guaranteed.

One of the main reasons why Valve and Blizzard rule the PC crowd, awesome looking games with low requirements. Its called being good devs and finding a way to get most people to enjoy your games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Valve games usually scale very, very well anyway. Valve build their games to run on a wide range of hardware rather than push the bleeding edge that only a minority can enjoy.

LProtag

JaseC said:
Run Alien Swarm and see how you go. It, too, is based off a recent build of the Source Engine.

Portal 2 may and likely will have some more bells and whistles, but Alien Swarm should give you a general idea of how your system will perform.

Alien Swarm works on my Windows partition just fine. Worst case scenario, if it runs subpar, I got the PS3 version so I'll just play it on that.

JaseC

InsertNameHere said:
Alien Swarm works on my Windows partition just fine. Worst case scenario, if it runs subpar, I got the PS3 version so I'll just play it on that.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about, then.

Plasmid said:
off to bed.

My god I am proud of this one.

This is possibly what I think the best Custom Portal Avatar yet. SO wicked.

Hope you like it as much as I do man :p

dudeawesome18zh.png

Edit - Fine tuned the hand pooring and the height a little bit.

dudeawesome2ky8.png

JaseC said:
Given it's the Source Engine there's really no need to worry. I imagine the dynamic HDR lighting and shadows will cripple lower-tier cards, but most should be fine. As long as you have a mid-tier GPU, the framerate should be good-great.

This is one of the reasons I still love the Source Engine. It runs great on almost any PC and looks amazing on a decent rig. It also is just a really clean, sharp, well optomized little engine fullstop, especially with all the added bells and whsitles like HDR.

EatChildren said:
EatChildren is my Steam addy, and I would be happy to co-op with you. But I'll be doing the single player first though, and if you'd rather get the the co-op done with someone else before I'm ready by all means do so. I'm sure plenty of AusGAF will be eager to do it too.

Nope... SP is first all the way, I'm primarily a SP gamer before anything else, so I want to get that out of the way.

Doesn't mean that I might not try out the Co-Op a little bit before I finish though.

I think I will end up playing through Co-op a few times, I've got some friends that I want to put on my PS3 while I play on my PC and help guide them through the Co-Op game (hopefully addict them too it :D)

koene

My pc is pretty dated. Can someone check if I can run this? My specs are

AMD ATHLON64 3500+
CORSAIR TWINX 1024MB PC3200 (2X512MB)
ASUS RADEON X800XT AGP 256MB

A few years back, I build this pc for Half-life 2. Oh man, how awesome it was running that game in all it's glory. Good memories :)

JaseC

koene said:

AMD ATHLON64 3500+

A few years back, I build this pc for Half-life 2. Oh man, how awesome it was running that game in all it's glory. Good memories :)

Disable HDR and you may find the performance acceptable.

"Pretty dated" doesn't even begin to describe it. :p

The M.O.B

koene said:

AMD ATHLON64 3500+

Wow, haha I got my first computer for Half-Life 2 as well.

It has a P4 3.0 Ghz and a 6800GT, since then I have upgraded it twice and I am now ready for all of this years hits. :D

You should be able to run Portal 2 with a mix of medium/low settings.

koene

JaseC said:
Disable HDR and you may find the performance acceptable.

"Pretty dated" doesn't even begin to describe it. :p

hehe, I know. Back then, it was a real beast of a pc. The graphics card alone cost more then €500. I could even run Doom 3 on 'extreme' settings. Now it's a piece of trash. When I turn it on, it's like a helicopter crashing down. Still, it's great for programming :)

Thanks for the reply.

JaseC

koene said:
hehe, I know. Back then, it was a real beast of a pc. The graphics card alone cost more then €500. I could even run Doom 3 on 'extreme' settings. Now it's a piece of trash. When I turn it on, it's like a helicopter crashing down. Still, it's great for programming :)

Thanks for the reply.

No worries. At least your PC isn't killing HDDs like my useless pile of junk.

TheOddOne

Seems the 360 and PS3 version leaked on the net? Only thing that I find out is that the 360 version is 6 gigs and PS3 version 4.5 gigs. I have to wait untill 21 April, but it will be worth the wait.

Spwn

^^ And my PC kills video cards. I have to wait 'till June before I can afford a new PC and therefore have to cope with the PS3 version. I hope Amazon UK's delivery is fast.

TheOddOne said:
Seems the 360 and PS3 version leaked on the net? Only thing that I find out is that the 360 version is 6 gigs and PS3 version 4.5 gigs.

Should I find it odd that the PS3 version is smaller? Because I do.

derFeef

TheOddOne said:
Seems the 360 and PS3 version leaked on the net? Only thing that I find out is that the 360 version is 6 gigs and PS3 version 4.5 gigs. I have to wait untill 21 April, but it will be worth the wait.
So the encrypted Steam version is 10 GB - console version only half as big? Wow.

Salsa

Hey ColonialRaptor, i got a challenge for you :p

try to make my mole's hat look like the new TF2 one:

im6Jew.png

but with a gold potato instead of the regular one, like the one i got from collecting the 36 potatoes.

I wanna see you work ;D

JaseC

<-- My quick and dirty attempt at "Portalfying" my avatar.

I actually think it turned out unintentionally hilarious. It's those love heart button-esque eyes.

SalsaShark said:

im6Jew.png

but with a gold potato instead of the regular one, like the one i got from collecting the 36 potatoes.

I wanna see you work ;D

Haha... dude... gimme a challenge next time.

Give me 20 minutes.

Edit - Hang on, you want it to be pixel art based or can I just use that image you gave me? If you want pixel art... now that's a bit more of a challenge... hahaha

itxaka said:
Can someone portalize my avatar?

I'll do this too... but after that I might have a break for a bit... I've been avatar making for hours lol

Corto

Damn colonialraptor is showing some mad chops! If you be so kind to portalize my avatar I'll be forever grateful. Thanks.

Salsa

ColonialRaptor said:
Edit - Hang on, you want it to be pixel art based or can I just use that image you gave me? If you want pixel art... now that's a bit more of a challenge... hahaha

Pixelated would be nice, but hey, you know your limits, i understand if you aint capable of doing it ;)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I know nobody cares about my predicament, but I still can't purchase the Portal 2 two-pack for my friend and I. I only needed five more fuggin' dollars added to my Steam wallet and now my funds are locked down entirely. I can't add, I can't spend. Have to wait on customer service to help me. So, so, so disappointed. I have today off and wanted to spend my time playing the game, seeing as how it's likely to release early. Blah.

EatChildren

GuiltybyAssociation said:
I know nobody cares about my predicament, but I still can't purchase the Portal 2 two-pack for my friend and I. I only needed five more fuggin' dollars added to my Steam wallet and now my funds are locked down entirely. I can't add, I can't spend. Have to wait on customer service to help me. So, so, so disappointed. I have today off and wanted to spend my time playing the game, seeing as how it's likely to release early. Blah.

Do you have PayPal?

Sew

GuiltybyAssociation said:
It's not launching today, IMO, so don't fret.

SalsaShark said:

im6Jew.png

I wanna see you work ;D

Done.

Before
portalavatarm7cg.png
And After
portal-avatar-tfpotato67g4.png

Pretty happy with that one.

itxaka

Defeatist
^^Âwesome. Love the companion cube. It so freaking cute!

ColonialRaptor said:
I'll do this too... but after that I might have a break for a bit... I've been avatar making for hours lol

Don't wory mate, I have seen that you done quite some avatars in the last pages ;)

itxaka said:
^^Âwesome. Love the companion cube. It so freaking cute!

Don't wory mate, I have seen that you done quite some avatars in the last pages ;)

I'm not quite sure what to do with yours yet...

I might stop for a bit, have dinner and think about it.

I still have three outstanding requests and want to get them all completed in the next 4.5 hours or so.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
EatChildren said:
Do you have PayPal?

Yeah. It won't let me add from either PayPal or my CC now, everything's locked down. I don't understand, I've never had this sort of problem before with Steam. :/

Sew said:
It's not launching today, IMO, so don't fret.

Oh, with my luck, it most certainly will lawl.

Top Bottom