• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manitoba revokes Star Trek licence plate, deems it offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

And again not how this works at all... which you constantly ignore.

You can for example put a Fuck off sticker on your car but the government isn't going to give you a license plate that says fuck off.

Again license plates carry a specific additional context of being approved by the government
And you're ignoring that banning this word on a license plate, doesn't actually help anyone at all. This is a fairly common word that could be seen/heard anywhere and the gov't shouldn't bother protecting people from it. Hell the word is even misspelled on the plate and people complain they are triggered by even that. It doesn't make sense to get so upset because someone's license plate says something you don't like; and it doesn't make sense for the gov't to waste time/effort on banning it on this one plate and nowhere else.

And you're ignoring that banning this word on a license plate, doesn't actually help anyone at all. This is a fairly common word that could be seen/heard anywhere and the gov't shouldn't bother protecting people from it. Hell the word is even misspelled on the plate and people complain they are triggered by even that. It doesn't make sense to get so upset because someone's license plate says something you don't like; and it doesn't make sense for the gov't to waste time/effort on banning it on this one plate and nowhere else.

Because banning it elsewhere doesn't fall under their direct purview....

Licenses plates are literally property of the provincial government...

Why people would have issues with the word being used on official government plates has already been explained to you ad nauseum

Koomaster

Because banning it elsewhere doesn't fall under their direct purview....

Licenses plates are literally property of the provincial government...

Why people would have issues with the word being used on official government plates has already been explained to you ad nauseum
At yet here you are explaining again without even reading what I've said. This doesn't help anyone and the gov't shouldn't get involved. Does that make it simpler for you to understand?

Guy should be able to have his plate. That's all.

Kyuur

At yet here you are explaining again without even reading what I've said. This doesn't help anyone and the gov't shouldn't get involved. Does that make it simpler for you to understand?

Guy should be able to have his plate. That's all.

Except the people who feel like they're unwelcome in their own country. I think these people's ability to feel welcome is more important than his ability to display Star Trek nerd pride or whatever.

Lucumo

I think that maybe the Director of the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation can attest to the history and power of that word more than random NeoGAF posters.

Not really. Also, if that word stops being used completely and a new one takes over the meaning, what would happen then?

Koomaster

Except the people who feel like they're unwelcome in their own country. I think these people's ability to feel welcome is more important than his ability to display Star Trek nerd pride or whatever.
It doesn't help them to ban this word on a license plate and it's laughable to think this accomplishes anything.

Oh, also, if it wasn't for your avatar (your facial expression makes you look constipated by the way) I would be pretty sure you're my 65 year old uncle who got fired from his factory job for using racial slurs.

Wow insults cause he disagrees with you? That's not very nice. There's better ways to debate I think, but insults, they belong in the second grade. Unless you're a second grader then I apologize.

vanity license plates are subject to approval by the Provincial equivelant of what you call a DMV.

considering Canadian history and Manitoba history... the word Assimilate is highly offensive

the needs of the First Nations people outweigh the needs of Star Trek Next Generation fans or the one

mlclmtckr

Banned
Wow insults cause he disagrees with you? That's not very nice. There's better ways to debate I think, but insults, they belong in the second grade. Unless you're a second grader then I apologize.

I mean dude responds to people carefully explaining the context with one-word snark responses. How come only one half of the argument is being held to your lofty standard?

I mean dude responds to people carefully explaining the context with one-word snark responses. How come only one half of the argument is being held to your lofty standard?

He explained himself than you started lobbing insults cause he replied to you with one word? I wouldn't respond anymore if I was him either. You basically shut down the argument by calling him an old racist.

I said "Nah" to a list of assertions with which I did not agree.

I don't need to expend any more energy on them than that. Please cry more.

Count Dookkake,
your posts are just shit posts filled with lazyness,

you don't give a shit about Canadian history pertaining to First Nations people.

Many posters in this thread have explained in a non-Millenial and in a non-SJW manor that First Nations people have gone through bad shit throughout Canadian history and in Manitoba history but you decide to ignore the facts about this history because it's your freedomz to be allowed to shit post and ignore recent history concerning Frist Nations people

mlclmtckr

Banned
I said "Nah" to a list of assertions with which I did not agree.

I don't need to expend any more energy on them than that. Please cry more.

He explained himself than you started lobbing insults cause he replied to you with one word? I wouldn't respond anymore if I was him either. You basically shut down the argument by calling him an old racist.

You got me, this level of cogent political analysis was really insightful and carefully considered and I'm the bad guy for making fun of him.

So much for the tolerant left amirite

Koomaster

vanity license plates are subject to approval by the Provincial equivelant of what you call a DMV.

considering Canadian history and Manitoba history... the word Assimilate is highly offensive

the needs of the First Nations people outweigh the needs of Star Trek Next Generation fans or the one
They 'need' this? They need a word to be banned on a license plate? This is on the list of needs? Doesn't sound like a very useful thing to ask for.

The word is being used in a fun way referencing something from pop culture that many people enjoy. The context is being stripped away and it's disingenuous to say this is causing harm to people to have this on a license plate.

SURGEdude

This thread has gotten suddenly really nasty. No matter your stance, if you get to the point of lobbing insults over this you might need to disconnect from the net for a day.

Dude had a plate that references Star Trek. No ill intent. Some people don't get the context and because of its history view the term as offensive. Government decides they don't want to endorse said plate because the intent isn't clear to many people. Government offers to replace or refund dude's plate. Nobody is hurt or subjugated in the process. Everybody moves on.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Intent only matters up until the point someone asks you to stop doing something; past that point your intention is to be an offensive asshole.
2 people get to complain and force him to change his license plate?

I don't know, would the thing he's "offended" by have a long, undeniable history spanning the entire existence of the region and country, and also be construed as minimizing tens of thousands of people? And then have been looked at by people whose job is to make judgment calls like this, and been deemed potentially offensive by them as well?

If so, then sure, bud. But I doubt it'd fit any of this criteria. "Context is key," no?

You said it yourself, you don't get to decide what people are offended by. You made a big point about that then came back two posts later how it wouldn't be justified for him to be offended lol. (Not that infringing on freedom of expression isn't a legitimate reason to be offended. Regardless of if it's a legal right or not in this context.)

In fact it seems that people who feel that revoking this plate was the right thing to do rest their entire argument upon the belief that people who are offended by hindering expression should just get over it and not be offended because it's such a small thing. Quite hypocritical if you ask me. Especially when you ask yourself the question, will there be more people offended about what the plate said, or the fact that they revoked it for what it said. Pretty sure it's the latter.

I agree with the decision. There is a fucking long history of Canada's failings with regard to the treatment of our indigenous peoples that continues to this day, and that needs to be addressed and mended. Even though the persons intent wasn't racial based, unfortunately that licence plate can have an unintended double meaning in our climate. Just as someone with the name Kurt Kristoph Kirkland wouldn't choose to have a licence plate "KKK" due to the accepted meaning, the same case can made in this instance as well. Basically in this particular case, care and consideration must be taken into account until that mending actually occurs.

LoveCake

"Kiteo, his eyes closed"

What about something like this?

jqoEiBEm.png

or
WOliRQRm.jpg

I have always liked USA plates, I have a few TV/Movie ones, I have this one also.

W2gEWlom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom