• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Little Lies |OT| HBO's Desperate Housewives (Kidman, Witherspoon) - Sundays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

wB9Jw7y.png

mHbIXFa.png

Aiii

So not worth it
Hoping Woodley's wooden acting isn't too distracting from the rest of the show on this one, trailer looked decent so I will give it a shot.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thanks for the OT. I think I have to watch this. I dread the idea of adding another Sunday show but I can always push Homeland or The Walking Dead into Monday or Tuesday watching.

Matty77

This tonight? I'll check it out, trailers looked good and if it is I want to reward HBO with being a viewer, they make most of my favorite original programming.

That Ziggy kid looks like he will be a sociopath when he grows up.
I think it was one of the twin boys that attacked the little girl. The father just went from normal to insane in like 1 second.

Tucah

you speak so well
Only a little in bit in but seeing Sarah Burns and Laura Dern within a minute of each other made me happy and then a little sad.

I STILL MISS YOU, ENLIGHTENED

Blader

It was ok. Direction felt all over the place. My girlfriend loved it, though, so I'll probably end up watching the whole thing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The police interviews intercut into the episode are a little obnoxious for my taste but it's a minor thing for me. The meat of the show is decent enough. They're making good use of the cast so far. Pretty much every scene has an actor I really like in it, which is a treat. Laura Dern is a national treasure as far as I'm concerned.

Oddly enough, this felt like a slightly more serious version of Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce. Just with the drama & comedy balances switched. This also has a lot of similarities with The Affair, which I think made a more memorable impression with its first episode than this did.

This was decent enough. Felt a little lackluster after watching Homeland, but that isn't its fault.

I'm in for the rest of the series.

Thanks for the OT. I think I have to watch this. I dread the idea of adding another Sunday show but I can always push Homeland or The Walking Dead into Monday or Tuesday watching.

*looks at DVR*
There is no such thing as too much Sunday television.

ZeroFate

It was pretty good I guess. There's nothing else on Sundays so I'll probably stick it out.

I think it was one of the twin boys that attacked the little girl. The father just went from normal to insane in like 1 second.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Well, I think it was both of them and they threatened her (hence her just picking Ziggy). Their dad is waaay too aggressive with their mom in front of them for them not to pick it up.

I feel like this would be too obvious so I'm hoping I'm wrong...

Bladenic

Is it me or was the scene between Reese and Adam Scott outside poorly acted? Mainly by Scott. He had little to do this episode but what he did wasn't impressive.

chadskin

Off to a good start. Stellar cast, beautiful scenery and cinematography, intriguing "whodunnit" story -- exactly what I expected.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Greek chorus was annoying and too in your face, and some of the situations were a little too over the top, but overall I thought it was a pretty good pilot. I'm interested to see how things escalate from here.

Speculation:

Alexander Skarsgård is Ziggy's father. Shailene Woodley said Ziggy's father "wasn't in the picture, he was never in the picture", so I'm thinking that that's not because he was a deadbeat - it's because he was already married with kids. The camera insinuated a little bit of weirdness between Woodley and Kidman, which I think was maybe foreshadowing.

Plus, if he was the father, then that would explain why he was just so damn invested in finding out more about some random little scuffle at his kids' school. (perhaps he's worried that his violent tendencies have passed onto his secret son)

(I've spent way too much time thinking about this)

Only a little in bit in but seeing Sarah Burns and Laura Dern within a minute of each other made me happy and then a little sad.

I STILL MISS YOU, ENLIGHTENED

:(

chadskin

Speculation:

Alexander Skarsgård is Ziggy's father. Shailene Woodley said Ziggy's father "wasn't in the picture, he was never in the picture", so I'm thinking that that's not because he was a deadbeat - it's because he was already married with kids. The camera insinuated a little bit of weirdness between Woodley and Kidman, which I think was maybe foreshadowing.

Plus, if he was the father, then that would explain why he was just so damn invested in finding out more about some random little scuffle at his kids' school. (perhaps he's worried that his violent tendencies have passed onto his secret son)

(I've spent way too much time thinking about this)

That's way more thought than I had given it at this point haha. But I like it, would certainly make sense.

All I kept thinking about was how Jane's able to afford a house in that neighborhood with a part-time book keeping job. Initially I thought perhaps she hit the jackpot with her divorce settlement but it sounds like she was never married in the first place.

So, considering your theory, Ziggy's father could've paid for the house to see Jane and his secret son more regularly.

Grizzlyjin

Episode 2 is up early on HBO Now, so as to avoid conflict with the Oscars on Sunday.

I was wondering why all the Sunday HBO shows went up early. Completely forgot about The Oscars. Might give this a watch after dinner.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Episode 2 was pretty good, although the Greek chorus is getting to be really obnoxious. I also find it baffling how obsessed these people are with an alleged choking incident involving (for most of them, two completely unrelated) first graders. Like, don't these people have more important shit to worry about?

What's the sex/violence content like on this one?

Neither of those things are in the first episode, but there is a fair amount of sexual content in the second episode (and there's supposed to be a lot more in the future. It is an HBO drama, after all).

Grizzlyjin

I'm going to spoiler tag this since it hasn't aired yet

Episode 2 Spoilers

So yeah...fucked up sex scene award of the week goes to this show. Jeez. The context is disturbing but the quick pumps and facial expressions were unintentionally hilarious. What a bizarre moment. But I suppose dispassionate love making is supposed to make the viewer feel uncomfortable.

I'm not hating this but the tone jumps all over the place. I almost wish they'd drop the murder tease and just focus on what they got a let it build.

TTG

I find myself wanting to like this more than I do. It seems HBO shows have been pomp and bombast for a while now: Westworld, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, True Detective, the Pope thing. So, something more intimate and relatable would be great, I hope it finds its way.

Two things I dislike, one is the Greek Chorus(thanks for the term RatskyWatsky) mechanic, let the action on screen speak for itself. Second, how many iterations of the same scene are we going to get? Reese Witherspoon at the breakfast table with her daughters, a parade of distraught wives talking to their husbands at sunset staring at the view.

It's three things actually, when is Ben busting out the Cones of Dunshire? Enough with the suspense already.

The twins father Perry is a cunt, anger issues and over controlling, Kinda like Noah from the Affair but seems even worse. The twins will have a mean streak too with a father like that, as shown by the hippo toy having a leg ripped off.

I like the character Adam Scott plays. He takes a lot of shit and stood up for himself a few times today.

It sure turned into a HBO show today, the rape scene and then the skype session at the end.

Grizzlyjin

This show is worth it for Adam Scott's terrible beard. It's so awful and fits the character perfectly.

It did fit very well, especially in this episode where he tried to act all butch on the park bench.

TTG

That was bad, I half expected Ben to pull out a black belt certificate from a dojo adjacent to the yoga studio that he carries on his person at all times, bike riding spandex or not, for when the moment comes. And then the ex husband tattled?

The twins will have a mean streak too with a father like that, as shown by the hippo toy having a leg ripped off.

I didn't even notice that. They'll be pushing Nicole Kidman around before long.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Living the Dream

Madeline organizes a trip to compete with Annabella's birthday party to annoy Renata. Meanwhile, Celeste's roller-coaster relationship with Perry continues before their first therapy session with Dr. Reisman; Abigail's guidance counselor wants to meet with Madeline; Principal Nippal announces the theme for the fall fund-raiser; and Jane asks for Madeline's help with Ziggy's family-tree project.

Holly shit at all the bruises on Nicole Kidman's character. i knew there were a heap but wow that was more than i expected.

It does seem like Perry is going to be Ziggys father, which a few posters picked after the first episode. I dont think Celeste knows yet that Perry is Ziggy's father. i dont think Jane, Celeste and Perry have been in the same room yet.

Promo for next week looks good.
Jane possibly finding Ziggy's father and taking about it with the girls.

Grizzlyjin

Haha @ the sexy dancing during the birthday party. Not sure why everyone blamed Bonnie, Renata started it.

Celeste & Perry seeking help but being ashamed to reveal the full nature of their abusive relationship was a nice touch. Perry was coming off way too 1 dimensional, so him revealing his insecurity was overdue and appreciated.

I'm thinking Ed is Ziggy's father. It's obviously someone we know. Perry seems like the obvious choice but they keep pointing towards Ed's hidden darkness. Plus he looked like he wanted to fuck Abigail, so my low-key creeper bells are ringing.

I'm thinking Ed is Ziggy's father. It's obviously someone we know. Perry seems like the obvious choice but they keep pointing towards Ed's hidden darkness. Plus he looked like he wanted to fuck Abigail, so my low-key creeper bells are ringing.

I cant see it being Ed since in the flashback it looked like the man had blonde hair, and Ziggy has blonde hair which has to be from the fathers side since Jane has dark hair. Could be Nathan as a wild card for Ziggy's father.

And Ed was an out of work actor working for a bad catering company years ago.

Bladenic

This was the best episode so far IMO. Nicole Kidman definitely should be getting some award noms next year. She's so far above everyone else. I'm glad Laura Dern got more and better material this episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That scene between Kidman and Skarsgard when they were in therapy was terrific.

That's way more thought than I had given it at this point haha. But I like it, would certainly make sense.

All I kept thinking about was how Jane's able to afford a house in that neighborhood with a part-time book keeping job. Initially I thought perhaps she hit the jackpot with her divorce settlement but it sounds like she was never married in the first place.

So, considering your theory, Ziggy's father could've paid for the house to see Jane and his secret son more regularly.

Tonight's episode made it seem like Woodley hasn't had any contact with Ziggy's father since the night she got pregnant. If that is the case (she might be lying), then I have no idea how Skarsgard would know that he had another kid - much less pay for their house and his schooling.

Maybe she moved there because she plans to confront him and then blackmail him or something?

That would be an interesting twist!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm thinking Ed is Ziggy's father. It's obviously someone we know.

Counterpoint: Jane described her rapist as "much bigger and heavier than her" and we see a taller man from behind in the flashback to her rape. Adam Scott is a short, slender man.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Push Comes to Shove

Nathan hosts a couples dinner for Madeline and Ed to discuss a "parenting paradigm" for Abigail. Meanwhile, Celeste prepares for a city-council meeting about Madeline's play, and clashes with Perry over the prospect of her returning to work; Jane meets with Ziggy's teacher to talk about classroom bullying; and Madeline stumbles upon a clue about Jane's past.

Grizzlyjin

Man, Ed sets off my creeper alarm in every scene now. I don't know if it's cause I'm looking for it or what. And I love Adam Scott. There's just something more to his seemingly innocuous comments. Feels like they're setting him up to be sexually frustrated and angry about it. Even his fun moment with Madeleine gave me the creeps cause she obviously wasn't into it. Then we find out about the affair. That fuse is lit, once he finds out...Boom.

Kidman is great. Love her. Woodley, who I'm a fan of, hasn't gotten much to work with yet but she's stepping it up with every episode.

The episode itself felt sparse given how short this series is. Lots of table setting, multiple discussions about this upcoming dinner. Even with the revelations, it felt a little slow for me. Oh and more Laura Dern, pls.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Witherspoon is really good, but Nicole is above and beyond everyone else.

She really is doing great work. There was a period of a few years where I thought she had lost it (
not to be catty, but it seemed like her botox injections had made it impossible for her to emote
), so it's nice that she's made a comeback of sorts.

The episode itself felt sparse given how short this series is. Lots of table setting, multiple discussions about this upcoming dinner. Even with the revelations, it felt a little slow for me.

That's definitely an issue. The series is already over halfway over (only 3 episodes left!) and it doesn't really feel like the needle has moved all that much. Despite that, I still find the show compelling.

Oh and more Laura Dern, pls.

YES. I hope her show with Alex Gibney isn't dead...

TTG

Why can't it be the obvious? The asshole beating up on Kidman is Ziggy's dad. He's tall, in the episodes whatsherface has he looks blonde with similar hair. Until there's a scene where those two meet and there's no reaction, I'm assuming it's him.

Speaking of which, I don't know if I'll be catching that revelation. Everything other than couple's counseling continues to be kinda bad. Only reason I've kept up is there's nothing else on tv. It works much better as a Buick commercial, although I don't know about that brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom