• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant - The Prologue footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashbeep

Banned
Is david fucking dropping the bio weapon on the space jockeys in the prologue and the movie itself has a completely different plot on another planet? lmao

it's definitely the same planet

Covenant Trailer
oSWtBjq.jpg

Prologue

Given how much footage Fox is putting online for this film I honestly cannot tell if they are confident in it or not. Just throwing up more random exposition and I can't tell if it's to distance the film from Prometheus or tie it into it.

Review embargo ends on May 6th, so they must be confident.

kurahador

This is going to be the beginning of Covenant right? Pretty high budget to be a short.

Only watched the first trailer for Covenant, so seeing a functioning civilization seems refreshing in this franchise.

Busty

Banned
Review embargo ends on May 6th, so they must be confident.

Fox also ended the review embargo for X-Men Apocalypse a few weeks early and it backfired on them horribly.

In saying that I will try and keep an open mind if the reviews are good but I am having a really hard time envisioning a situation where this film turns out even remotely watchable.

And if that is the case it's going to be interesting to see who Sir Ridley and the Internet decide to blame given that Lindeloff won't be about to kick around.

JB1981

What the hell was that?!

She magically puts him back together again (did she even take his body with her?) then they kick around the alien ship and 'learn their ways' which, of course, is really easy because the hack writers have no intention of working around it.

Given how much footage Fox is putting online for this film I honestly cannot tell if they are confident in it or not. Just throwing up more random exposition and I can't tell if it's to distance the film from Prometheus or tie it into it.

The more they shit out there the worse it looks.

This is where I am. Some of the people I work with are already suggesting that we should have a 'boozy work night out' watching this because they all assume it's going to be awful.

David gets out the engineer ship and walks around. He sees a
Starbucks
and a single tear rolls down his cheek. He turns to the camera and a
Coldplay song
starts to play.

What the fuck are you talking about? Shaw took David's body with her onto the ship at the end of Prometheus. Looks like David helps guide her through the repair process.

David says he learns their ways while they travelling light years to the Engineer home world (just as he learned all the world languages aboard the Prometheus). Also this is a short lasting two minutes that won't appear in the feature fil, just how much do you want him to tell us about what he learns?

Moff

it's definitely the same planet

Covenant Trailer

Prologue

thatnks for pointing that out, I never noticed that shot
so they will definitely enter that city in the movie

you know I get that prometheus had a silly plot, but I always loved the lore background of the space jockey stuff, so I am pretty excited for Covenant now, I expect the same. silly story, cool space jockey lore stuff, beautiful pictures, give it to me.

liquidtmd

Banned
As someone who has followed this universe, I just have questions upon questions and a sense of apathy in that I don't think they will even try the address them in a sensible way.

Watching this, I just feel like....Oh god, I'm sorry, I feel like Mike during the Prometheus RLM Questions skit :(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I would assume some justification along those lines. Or, if not exactly as 'revenge' for the events of Prometheus, some sort of preventative measure against the Engineers who were absolutely going to destroy all the life on our planet before the Prometheus base was overrun and would be just as likely as not to go for it again were we to reestablish contact.

Or maybe he just has shades of Ash in him and wants to make that thing that Ash admired so much in the first movie.

I think Prometheus was quite clear about David's motivations. He despises humanity and hates the fact that he was created simply "because they could". He's a straightforward sociopathic android, to him humans are just animals suitable for experimentation.

you know I get that prometheus had a silly plot, but I always loved the lore background of the space jockey stuff, so I am pretty excited for Covenant now, I expect the same. silly story, cool space jockey lore stuff, beautiful pictures, give it to me.

Once you make it the plot of a (stupid-ass) movie, it's not "lore" anymore. It's just story.

Bad, bad story.

Which, again, is kind of the fucking problem with these movies. Lore is only fun when it stays lore. Once you start shining very specific light on it and start explaining it in detail, it's no longer lore. Now it's just a corny prequel.

Fox also ended the review embargo for X-Men Apocalypse a few weeks early and it backfired on them horribly.

In saying that I will try and keep an open mind if the reviews are good but I am having a really hard time envisioning a situation where this film turns out even remotely watchable.

And if that is the case it's going to be interesting to see who Sir Ridley and the Internet decide to blame given that Lindeloff won't be about to kick around.

Oh, I remember the Apocalypse embargo backfire. Didn't they end that shit like three weeks before the movie even released?

Mr Swine

Banned
I really really hope Ridley Scott doesn't kill all the Engineers. I really want to see a all out war between humans and Engineers :(

hobozero

well that's what I expected after the trailers, but this prologue gets me hyped, not gonna lie
if it's the same planet, wouldn't they find remains of the space jockey civilization? it doesn't play that much after prometheus after all, why would they land in deserted areas of a planet with remains like that?

From the second trailer:

8qNy4m9.jpg

Also: there are a few shots of a hooded humanoid in the trailer, among thousands of dead. Maybe they are planning a swerve and Roomi's character nuked them with the bio-agent, because she couldn't reconcile Engineers with her deep faith in God? Or maybe it's David fucking shit up Magneto-style, who knows.

Busty

Banned
What the fuck are you talking about? Shaw takes his body with her onto the ship at the end of Prometheus. Looks like David helps guide her through the repair.

Brilliant.

I can just see the writers now "How are we going to put Fassbender back together again? Wait, I've got it. He can just guide her through it, I mean, how hard can it be to put an android back together again? This is the future and shit, right?! Red to red. Blue to blue. Because film androids are made by the same factory that makes all movie bombs, Blue Wire 2 Blue Wire Industries".

Oh, I remember the Apocalypse embargo backfire. Didn't they end that shit like three weeks before the movie even released?

Yeah, the embargo was up very, very early.

However, the embargo for Logan was up something like 2 1/2 weeks before that opened.

I think Fox just doesn't really give a fuck when critics start talking about their movies.

NewDust

Saw this on the big screen, with 12 minutes of additional first act footage... Definitely promising. Actually better than the trailers so far, which seemed to be just rehashes of al the previous Alien movies.

Saw this on the big screen, with 12 minutes of additional first act footage... Definitely promising. Actually better than the trailers so far, which seemed to be just rehashes of al the previous Alien movies.

Wait, was this scene part of that footage in the first act? Is this shit actually going to be in the movie? Or was it a standalone thing, as it's being presented now?

Huh...weird that it has such big budget look.

Probably a deleted scene.

Erigu

Conveniently edible Engineer food, huh?
And I would have expected Shaw to look a hell of a lot smaller in that pod, but maybe the Space Jockeys have shrunk again.

dogstar

Banned

Yeah me too man... I liked Prometheus, apart from a young man trying to play an old man, which looked utterly crap, it was a very enjoyable couple of hours. I'm looking forward to this very much.

NewDust

Wait, was this scene part of that footage in the first act? Is this shit actually going to be in the movie? Or was it a standalone thing, as it's being presented now?

The total length of the preview was 15 minutes, opened with this. According to the intro by Ridley Scott it were scenes from the beginning of the movie.

The total length of the preview was 15 minutes, opened with this. According to the intro by Ridley Scott it were scenes from the beginning of the movie.

Did it open with that and then roll seamlessly into the rest of the footage, or was this set off from the rest of it with a fade out or a cut?

Trying to determine whether this shit is actually in the movie or not, since I'm hearing from other people that they were told this is not in the movie (or at least, isn't in the film anymore, I guess?)

Thanks!

My biggest issue with the whole affair is why would she repair him after all the shit he did?

Honestly, she might have felt lonely. Sometimes you just gotta let bygones be bygones and reconcile with assholes. Then again, he's android so he might have just been following orders during the first Prometheus.

Burt

I think Prometheus was quite clear about David's motivations. He despises humanity and hates the fact that he was created simply "because they could". He's a straightforward sociopathic android, to him humans are just animals suitable for experimentation.

Can't really recall any of his specific dialogue, but that's a good point then.

Tying it back to Ash again, it would fit well for engineers to create humans -> humans create David -> David creates the xenomorphs as we know them in what's essentially a long chain to create the perfect organism that supersedes the others, which Ash identifies the xenomorph as in the original movie.

That was actually really interesting. Makes me wonder what David's gonna do since it's obvious he was involved with the destruction of the crew last time. His seeming hatred for humans knows no bounds after all.

Say what you will about Prometheus, but Fassbender as David was genuinely terrific in the role.

JB1981

Now that I think about it there's no way him dropping goo canisters on the Engineers is going to be cut

Now that I think about it there's no way him dropping goo canisters on the Engineers is going to be cut

Right? That's gotta be in there somehow, but I'm wondering if that ends up getting covered in a flashback or from a different POV. Or if only part of this "prologue" is in the movie. Or the whole damn thing!

As someone who has followed this universe, I just have questions upon questions and a sense of apathy in that I don't think they will even try the address them in a sensible way.

Watching this, I just feel like....Oh god, I'm sorry, I feel like Mike during the Prometheus RLM Questions skit :(

My simple take-away

There are a bio-science group of engineers who go to planets set up shop, experiment, and then go to other planets to spread their DNA via this black goop probably to terraform places. Any life form that touches the black goop evolves or changes in a specific way. Goop to man - weird man. Goop to worm - killer worm, etc.

Shaw and David fly to engineer homeworld. Most of those engineers down there, probably regular folks. David bombs the fuck out of them because they initially were going to bomb the fuck out of Earth with the stuff.

-griffy-

Banned
Why would he be going to a different planet if he just bombed the fuck out of this one with an agent that breaks everything down to its individual DNA strands?

He's going to land. And plant some wheat.

Also, apparently, this will not be in the movie. Or rather, this scene won't. A version of it might be, or the information from this scene will be relayed somehow, but the scene itself isn't in the film, I guess.

The fuck is even going on. Is this what the sequel prequel to the prequel is gonna be about?

jett

D-Member
I see no reason why this wouldn't be part of the movie. I definitely foresee Covenant having its own extended prologue sequence just like Prometheus.

And this looked Prometheus as fuck.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Also my guess is this is not the engineer home world. But perhaps the home of another one of their creations. They were obviously more favored by the engineers since they continued to visit them unlike us (they have their own custom juggernaut docking station and all) and they are all cheering on their arrival (not like you would any normal ship's return home but you would a gods). David wipes them out because he wants to be a new god and make his own creations anyway.

Edit: also lol at Shaw enjoying a cup of tea and poring over some alien star maps. This alien mug is remarkable!

jett

D-Member
Also my guess is this is not the engineer home world. But perhaps the home of another one of their creations. They were obviously more favored by the engineers since they continued to visit them unlike us (they have their own custom juggernaut docking station and all) and they are all cheering on their arrival (not like you would any normal ship's return home but you would a gods). David wipes them out because he wants to be a new god and make his own creations anyway.

Yeah I have heard this before. Def plausible.

NewDust

Did it open with that and then roll seamlessly into the rest of the footage, or was this set off from the rest of it with a fade out or a cut?

Trying to determine whether this shit is actually in the movie or not, since I'm hearing from other people that they were told this is not in the movie (or at least, isn't in the film anymore, I guess?)

Thanks!

Cut to black to next scene. I could see it go either way, but if it is going to make it in the movie, I think it needs to be an extended prologue.

The thematic point is made blunter and more loudly (which means Ridley would love it more) if it is their home planet, and the android literally just bombed the gods and became one himself on their blighted graves.

Cut to black to next scene. I could see it go either way, but if it is going to make it in the movie, I think it needs to be an extended prologue.

Cool, thanks again!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I have heard this before. Def plausible.
heh I feel less crazy now.
I didn't read this anywhere so similarity to other speculation is coincidental. This is also not spoiler disguised as speculation. but at least I am not alone. :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The thematic point is made blunter and more loudly (which means Ridley would love it more) if it is their home planet, and the android literally just bombed the gods and became one himself on their blighted graves.
Lol fair enough. "How can I make this less subtle?"

Goo drop will probably be a flashback during the David experimentation reveal. All that Shaw stuff before it will be cut in favor of revealing her dead/experimented on body or her being alive so something like that.

I do wonder if Ridley's going to attempt solidifying how Queens work in these stories with one of these movies. Queens were Cameron's attempt at somewhat explaining the existence of these things (to a point) but now that Ridley's entire mission with these movies is to make understandable the origin of fanged lovecraftian penisbeasts from the depths of space, and he's already established these things are 100% bioweapons as created by an android experimenting with a godlike race's lab equipment - how do you fit the Queen in there?

We have eggs and facehuggers. Is he going to actually address how those two things exist in this film in a way that establishes the Queen pre-dates them, and laid that egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom