• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nintendo's conference in a nutshell

Atlagev

While I wasn't a big fan of the Nintendo press conference this year, this video isn't anything like the summaries of the 2006 Sony press event. A lot of it is stuff that is just edited for comedy effect.

The sad thing about the 2006 Sony conference is that nothing *needed* to be edited...

Kildace

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Just imagine how awesome it would've been if the midi sample was high quality and he played something like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EgbGaYTkkPU.

Wii Music could have been an amazing game with some actual effort done on the visuals, high quality music samples and a wide range of songs. God knows Nintendo has enough money to fund a project like this. Instead what we get is Miis playing a midi of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
And this is what is the most infuriating about this whole thing and shows how little Nintendo cares about its customers.

Great video though :lol :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dante said:
I'm not saying it's worse than drummer boy, but the guy said Sony 06 didn't have any cringe-worthy moments. That's it, quit looking into things so much. :lol

polyh3dron said:
No, sorry buddy. Nintendo has taken Sony's crown of crappiest E3 Press Conference EVAR.

Animal Crossing being the bone they threw to "core" gamers lolololololololol

The reason why I think Sony '06 is better is because despite all the bullshit they dropped, there was some genuinely cool stuff there. Resistance demo. Eye of Judgement was cool. MGS4 and other new and cool trailer. PS1 games on PSP. Heavenly Sword. None of the good at all balanced out the horrible shit that was there, but there was at lesat some light in that darkness.

Nintendo had another Animal Crossing and that Wii Sword thing in the Wii Sports Resort.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
indie85 said:
:lol
I dont think i'll ever get tired of drum guy

loldrums.gif
raviTara.jpg

FFChris

I'm glad I missed the Nintendo conference...

I thought the MS conference was cringeworthy, this is downright terrible. I don't think I'd be able to have sat through it. :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Linkzg said:
The reason why I think Sony '06 is better is because despite all the bullshit they dropped, there was some genuinely cool stuff there. Resistance demo. Eye of Judgement was cool. MGS4 and other new and cool trailer. PS1 games on PSP. Heavenly Sword. None of the good at all balanced out the horrible shit that was there, but there was at lesat some light in that darkness.

Nintendo had another Animal Crossing and that Wii Sword thing in the Wii Sports Resort.
Unfortunately, Nintendo is likely to still see unprecedented success after all this. Sony wasn't as lucky after 06.

Barrett2

:lol Holy crap, that was my first time actually watching the Wii Music demonstration. What fucking train wreck!! Holy crap!

GhaleonQ

Possible edits:

"Camminator" line after the ****ing line.

The 1st Resorts disc attempt, if only for the "missed the target" imagery.

AnthonyP

While I've defended the majority of Nintendo's presser because they're just continuing to cater to the market they've created, Wii Music is a joke. Their strategy toward the "hardcores" - we'll drop a Mario, Zelda, and Metroid from time to time. Go ahead and get a 360/PS3 as your main system - has largely remained the same, but Wii Music is stupid. This is a distraction for small children, as even the most casual adults couldn't possibly enjoy it. Except for maybe Cammie, but she seemed easily amused.

So we get it, Nintendo is going for the family friendly angle as always, but do you have to devote so much of the press conference to it? Who in the press cares about this thing, aside from perhaps the mainstream newspaper press that may be in attendance? But even those journalists who may be more toward the casual gaming end of the spectrum are adults can see that the game requires 0 skill. Making accessible pick up and play games is one thing, making a glorified version of these:

2885.jpg

is another and spending so much time on it at your press conference is a waste. Show a trailer at the most, but preferably, just issue a press release, air a commercial during The View, and be done with it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
:lol The drummer/wii music(is that what that was?) scenes were awesome. Glad I missed out on watching the conference.

Nintendo's E3 08 conference beats Sony's E3 06 conference at being the worst.
Most embarassing, I would say it's tied.

At the end of the day, the cluster fuck that was Sony's conference, we still got the MGS4 trailer.

Jme

holy shit, there was a seizure fest on stage and noone did anything to stop it?
so glad i didnt waste my time watching this conf. live.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No, sorry buddy. Nintendo has taken Sony's crown of crappiest E3 Press Conference EVAR.

No, sorry buddy. It hasn't. You're trying to make it worse, and while it was disappointing, it had nothing that reached the level of embarassment Sony's conference had.

Because Wii will continue to be huge. The three games they focuses on will sell great. If they showed 3 "hardcore" games throughout Nintendo's conference it wouldn't be looked at like it is in this thread.

CTLance

The worst thing is that it has been shown that the drum part of Wii Music is actually pretty amazing.
NOTHING will save it though, for Ravi and the Nintendo crew have spoilt this nongame for me. The sounds they were producing were atrocious. I mean, it's OK to make quite a few mistakes, but it should at least be something more than wild mashing of buttons. There needs to be some semblance of a melody, and a discernable rythm.

TL;DR: My ears are bleeding at the mere thought of watching the conference again.

"Cammy was perfect material for a send-up, though, with her kindergarten-teacherly approach to the audience"

wow that sums her up perfectly.

and amazing editing job. seriously, the timing is perfect. my favourite part is at the slow ass end of the mario song, where they jump in the air all slow motion and it cuts away before they land. brilliant.

Zilch

Banned
omg rite said:
No, sorry buddy. It hasn't. You're trying to make it worse, and while it was disappointing, it had nothing that reached the level of embarassment Sony's conference had.

Because Wii will continue to be huge. The three games they focuses on will sell great. If they showed 3 "hardcore" games throughout Nintendo's conference it wouldn't be looked at like it is in this thread.

Jesus Christ do you ever shut up with this contrarian bullshit?

indie85

Banned
Atlagev said:
While I wasn't a big fan of the Nintendo press conference this year, this video isn't anything like the summaries of the 2006 Sony press event. A lot of it is stuff that is just edited for comedy effect.

The sad thing about the 2006 Sony conference is that nothing *needed* to be edited...
Uhhh, they are all edited for comedy effect...

stalker

This is unfair and biased. The video does not show the core games Sports Resort and Animal Crossing :-(

:lol :lol :lol

(I love Animal Crossing!)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Zilch said:
Jesus Christ do you ever shut up with this contrarian bullshit?

Uh, the problem is that most people are smart and agree with me. Sony's conference was the start of what the industry itself calls their "downfall". Nintendo showed 3 huge games and it won't hurt them in the least bit.

No one will care about Nintendo's conference in 2 weeks.

Of course, if you don't like my opinions, you can ignore me instead of being a jackass. I know that'd be very hard though.

Top Bottom