• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

McCarthyism 101. Pretty sad to see modern day liberals revive such a disgusting piece of American history.

C4C7Wp5UcAE2sPO.jpg

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Lol at people saying he's a nazi/anti-semite.

He's still gonna make fat-ass stacks and have a hot as shit Italian girlfriend anyway.

I think calling him a nazi is a bit much, he's just an idiot with a shitty sense of humour. I Don't blame Disney at all for their choice, maybe he will wake up after taking this L.

He's still gonna make fat-ass stacks and have a hot as shit Italian girlfriend anyway.
idk what relevance this has to anything

not to comment on this particular case but there are many horrible people with lots of money and nice partners - see donald dump. doesn't make them any less shitty

I've mentally walked through what I think I would do if I heard my younger sibling making a "joke" like these influencers. It's pretty scary to think they we can have generations growing up thinking crimes against humanity are just "jokes".

And I think sure it's okay for adults to have dark humor about heavy historical subjects but it is with the understanding that they know the weight of those horrible events.
And that's just it. If his channel was solely aimed at adults, it's in bad taste but at least you can sort of understand.

Five year olds don't know it's a joke based in absurdity. They hear Hitler did nothing wrong and yhen when they get to WWII in history class they go "He did nothing wrong" and associate that.

It might not be that much in the grand scheme of things, but even something like this is hugely damaging. Kids are exceptionally impressionable to this kind of thing. And his audience is still, a majority, children and young teenagers.

Plus if I had literal millions on the line to just NOT say or do blatantly and obviously stupid shit like this, that's all the motivation I would need.

And as a European, especially a swedish national, he should know better than to joke about that.

PMS341

I'm a fan of his new humor where he seems genuine and open to have more dark humor. This isn't dark humor though.

His actions were incredibly stupid and he deserves to lose brand partnerships. I think about the young children that will watch his videos and think saying "death to Jews" is funny or a joke. You have high schoolers in Texas saying "hail Hitler" as a "joke" as well.

Man, sounds like young children and high schoolers in Texas are fucking morons.

Aselith

Does a fat stack make him not an anti-Semite or is it the Italian girlfriend that cancels it out?

qko

Once you reach a certain level of stardom, you kinda have to play it safe. From the looks of it on the Maker Studios website:

Maker Studios is also home to PewDiePie’s REVELMODE, a media brand focused on original content, charity, and games, including PewDiePie’s Tuber Simulator, which was #1 in the App Store.

So either Maker Studios has some sort of rights to those platforms, or they are dropping all these things along with PewDiePie. This is going to get interesting in the next few weeks.

For example here is the Mitchell and Webb skit "Are we the baddies" skits where the characters are Nazi's.

Of course this sounds like a J/K bit, which is unlikely to be funny. But I would like to see it myself.
I mean, the point of that whole sketch is how comically and cartoonishly evil the Nazis were.

This is none of those things. It's some privileges guy paying some people in a third world country five bucks to put something bigoted they don't understand on a sign and dance with it for yucks.

I understand the context and it's a joke that went wrong. i really like PDP new stuff being more genuine and not trying to play videogames all the time and I really dig his sense of humour, but considering you are working with Disney, he should had to figure out that kind of shit before posting it.

Randomizer

How is ok for shows like South Park and Always Sunny to parody such topics but not an online entertainer such as PewDiePie?

I don't assume Matt and Trey are Nazis because of the shit Cartman does and the same goes for the Sunny cast. I don't even watch PewDiePie but it's a slippery slope to assume anyone who jokes about such topics support them.

Defuser

No sympathy there, he shouldn't bring in any political views whether it's a joke or not as long as he got contracts with big corporations not to mention kids watching his videos.

Well he isn't, unless he's hiding some shit. I have a friend who watches him, it was something about these two guys that would hold a sign up and say whatever you sent to them. He sent the message as a joke thinking they would disregard it, but they didn't understand English and said it without knowing what it meant. It was a joke, but definitely in poor taste.

What Pewds did was dumb AF and he deserves whatever comes his way. That being said you've gotta be kidding me on that one. Watching the video they clearly know enough English to understand what that means.

Hinchy

Seem's as PewDiePie's viewer's are entering the "edgy high school" phase his humour is doing the same.

PewDiePie has always been like this though. Relatively early on when he was just getting popular he'd make rape jokes.

I do think it's just edgy humor, so to speak, and not a case of him being a literal racist. Those things are different. It's still shitty though and he deserves whatever punishment. As a poster said above,

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

LiK

Once you reach a certain level of stardom, you kinda have to play it safe. From the looks of it on the Maker Studios website:

Maker Studios is also home to PewDiePie’s REVELMODE, a media brand focused on original content, charity, and games, including PewDiePie’s Tuber Simulator, which was #1 in the App Store.

So either Maker Studios has some sort of rights to those platforms, or they are dropping all these things along with PewDiePie. This is going to get interesting in the next few weeks.

yea, he lost a bunch of money because of this. should've just kept making game videos and live the life. but no, he had to do this shit for no reason but to rile up people. sometimes success really does make people become dumb.

drotahorror

isn't this that famous guy that kids watch on youtube all the time?

had no idea he was a nazi, what a piece of shit

Aren't him and Ethan from h3h3 friends? They even posted a video together from a week or so ago. They've also hung out. I can't believe that PewDiePie was hiding this from Ethan this whole time. (Ethan and his GF are both very Jewish)

Kthulhu

Woah it's been a long time since I heard this name. I use to be a big fan of his when I was in high school (LOL).

Same. I have no idea if he's changed at all. While I didn't take a side in GG, but everything he said about it turned me off of watching him.

How is ok for shows like South Park and Always Sunny to parody such topics but not an online entertainer such as PewDiePie?

I don't assume Matt and Trey are Nazis because of the shit Cartman does and the same goes for the Sunny cast. I don't even watch PewDiePie but it's a slippery slope to assume anyone who jokes about such topics support them.
Because there is a clear delineated difference between absurdist parody and just slapping it on a sign because you can and wanna see if you can and will.

Aselith

There's no joke. There's no parody.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

This is so different than what those two shows do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom