• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

ghostmind

2018 Mighty Micros

Batman vs Harley Quinn
Nightwing vs Joker
Supergirl vs Brainiac

Spider-Man vs Sandman
Star-Lord vs Nebula
Thor vs Loki

Ryuuroden

Well the LEGO rep in the chat just confirmed that Ninjago City can be connected to the other modulars.

... and it's back.

And now the designers drop "so have you seen the giant Millennium Falcon?" casually into their discussion. Of course no follow up LOL.

Worst kept secret ever, lol. So badly kept it feels intentional. If they somehow keep it from leaking images till official date yet keep on dropping these teases I will be mega impressed. As it is, I am sorta shocked it hasn't leaked yet.

Boogiepop

So, just out of curiosity, do people on here have much experience transitioning little ones into Lego? Because lately, my 3 year old nephew has become OBSESSED with my Lego collection. Which somewhat awkwardly means... he really, really loves the modulars, especially the Fire Brigade, even despite being limited on touching them. (I swear, I feel like I'm treading a weird line of trying not to be Will Ferrell in the Lego Movie. But it's a necessary evil, as he's still at the age where he plays wild and rough and doesn't understand needing to be careful not to break things, so if he was let loose I'd have modulars in a billion parts on the floor in a minute... and then he'd be begging me to fix them. So yeah, for now he just messes with the minifigures and the moveable parts on the outside. And at least for now, he fortunately at least doesn't know the floors come apart, and he must never learn of that... at least until he's a bit older.)

Got him some Duplo for Christmas which he enjoys, but man, he REALLY wants the "real" stuff. And so... despite perhaps not being the best plan, went a bit over his age range, so now he has a Mater and McQueen from Cars 3 in the Junior range. (The plan is to keep an eye on him with those, thanks to the small parts). And man, seems to have worked like a charm, as he is going nuts and is super enjoying them. Now I just need him to get accustomed enough that I can somehow justify getting him the Lego City Fire Station, as that seems absolutely perfect for him, but he's just a bit of a little guy for such a thing right now...

So yeah, just curious on what other people have done with that. Think there's a game plan, but yeah... Interesting being on the other side of getting Lego for a youngster, haha.

Also, just let me say: Man, I wish Lego could at least take the same approach that they do with these Junior sets for the Expert stuff, if nothing else. So nice to have all prints with no stickers, despite there being a TON of parts that'd definitely be stickers elsewhere. (Totally glad they at least do indeed do that for these things though. Makes a lot of sense and I can see it being a godsend that these parts aren't stickers that'll peel off with use, as these are assuredly going to get a LOT of use.)

So, just out of curiosity, do people on here have much experience transitioning little ones into Lego? Because lately, my 3 year old nephew has become OBSESSED with my Lego collection. Which somewhat awkwardly means... he really, really loves the modulars, especially the Fire Brigade, even despite being limited on touching them. (I swear, I feel like I'm treading a weird line of trying not to be Will Ferrell in the Lego Movie. But it's a necessary evil, as he's still at the age where he plays wild and rough and doesn't understand needing to be careful not to break things, so if he was let loose I'd have modulars in a billion parts on the floor in a minute... and then he'd be begging me to fix them. So yeah, for now he just messes with the minifigures and the moveable parts on the outside. And at least for now, he fortunately at least doesn't know the floors come apart, and he must never learn of that... at least until he's a bit older.)

Got him some Duplo for Christmas which he enjoys, but man, he REALLY wants the "real" stuff. And so... despite perhaps not being the best plan, went a bit over his age range, so now he has a Mater and McQueen from Cars 3 in the Junior range. (The plan is to keep an eye on him with those, thanks to the small parts). And man, seems to have worked like a charm, as he is going nuts and is super enjoying them. Now I just need him to get accustomed enough that I can somehow justify getting him the Lego City Fire Station, as that seems absolutely perfect for him, but he's just a bit of a little guy for such a thing right now...

So yeah, just curious on what other people have done with that. Think there's a game plan, but yeah... Interesting being on the other side of getting Lego for a youngster, haha.

Also, just let me say: Man, I wish Lego could at least take the same approach that they do with these Junior sets for the Expert stuff, if nothing else. So nice to have all prints with no stickers, despite there being a TON of parts that'd definitely be stickers elsewhere. (Totally glad they at least do indeed do that for these things though. Makes a lot of sense and I can see it being a godsend that these parts aren't stickers that'll peel off with use, as these are assuredly going to get a LOT of use.)

Did you think about gluing his sets together? I know most people would hate to do that to their sets, but obviously little people are a special case. It'd definitely help with him being able to (a) play with the Cars more and (b) be less likely to break them.

As an aside, my friend's daughter started doing the Friends LEGO around 4-5, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about the complexity of stuff. If anything, it gives you a reason to chill with him and do them together.

DonShula

...damnit

Yeah it "counts" now.

You know what to do.

My son just turned 5. I've been getting him Juniors sets and small City sets and he's done a great job with them. The Juniors stuff is great at that age because kids do consider those "real" sets but they're much easier to put together.

I got my son the Bulldozer Breakout (or some such) City set for his birthday. Watching him put it together right now. He's flying through it and making very few mistakes. This is the first age 5+ set he's put together on his own so he's pretty proud I think.

Ponn

Banned
Took awhile for me to finish it but its finally done.
nSWbLyc.jpg

If anyone is looking for a sense of scale maybe the boxes will help. It is tall, Tower of Orthanc was my biggie before but while Orthanc has a little bit bigger footprint and a bit more heft to it this does nose it out and you have to watch out when you are carrying it. I love the module sections and I love how the lander can be displayed or put into the rocket. Its quite obvious why this set is getting attention not just from Lego fans but on the other hand i'm sure there was already a crossover there between groups.

I'm not quite sure where i'm going to put this on my end of the year list. I can say for sure it will be on the list but its not going to be high as I originally thought. I know my complaints before were not shared and I don't know maybe I got a different set than everyone else. With my bad eyesight and the way I have to build things might also have been a factor but the first part of the building experience was just not enjoyable at all for me. As the bags went on and I could get more panels in place to hold the thing together it didn't have the exploding in my hands effect anymore but I was still soured. Now the last two modules I had zero issues with, it was just the bottom booster that was giving me troubles.

This all kind of ties together into what I can sum up into one complaint for this set, it feels like a MOC set not an official Lego set. And I don't mean that to disparage MOCers at all. I have seen so many MOC's and alot from LegoGAFFERs I would kill to have for displays. I feel there is a difference though between great display pieces and fun builds and they don't always go together. Thats why i'm all for TLG taking Ideas sets that make it to become an official set being reworked by them and maybe having the build process and parts changed. That will ensure a fun build process and hopefully a sturdy build that a MOCer may not be thinking about during their process. Now as far as the Saturn V I will give them the benefit of the doubt and maybe they couldn't find a better way to refine the build process and given the model I can see that. And there were some building techniques used here that were pretty darn cool. On the other hand there was obviously things done I didn't like and caused me a literal headache.

I don't want to drone on anymore about that though because I don't mean to bad mouth or discourage anyone from this set. It's a really awesome set and I hope everyone who wants one gets one. When finished its beautiful and anyone who sees it on display will surely be asking about it. Unless theres some major unrevealed sets still to come its still going to be in my top five this year probably.

Kids get more comfortable with LEGO based on their exposure to it. The problem with your situation is that your nephew's motor skills are still developing. As much as I'd love to enable you with recommendations of big purchases I think the Juniors line is where you need to be.

For what it's worth, both of my girls got comfortable with standard LEGO sets between the ages of 5-6.

Jimrpg

So I've got a 3 and a half year old and a 1 and half year old. Based on my observations so far, the 3 and a half year old really enjoys just playing with the sets we've got (after the set is built), she prefers the Friends sets though she also plays with some of the Creator sets. She can do a bit of the build by herself, but usually she loses focus and just wants to play. So it'll probably take a while longer before she's comfortable to do it all.

The 1 and a half year old loves lego just as much, though there are times where he'll just throw pieces on the floor so I have to watch what he does.

We keep our lego in their sets for now, so its just a matter of keeping the pieces in the right place, sometimes that can be a bit tricky.

I think your nephew would love the fire station, even if he can't build it, he'll spend hours just playing with it, you can even help him build it together. I'm planning to get our kids the Lego Friends Hospital maybe for Christmas.

Did you think about gluing his sets together? I know most people would hate to do that to their sets, but obviously little people are a special case. It'd definitely help with him being able to (a) play with the Cars more and (b) be less likely to break them.

As an aside, my friend's daughter started doing the Friends LEGO around 4-5, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about the complexity of stuff. If anything, it gives you a reason to chill with him and do them together.

I don't think I could glue my Lego together, I'd rather the pieces just go missing haha.

We have Ninjago Movie sets in at work, but can't sell them until the 1st. I stared at the Destinys Bounty box for a bit and tried not to drool.

Soon...

I think I mentioned my friend's 3,5 year old who visited my collection. He really loved the Time Cruisers car I gave him. I also gave him a box of used 2x4 parts and some wheels I didn't need. I wouldn't mind giving him more but it would be a little awkward.

Neither me nor my sister have kids yet so there's no natural recepients for old stuff.

Haines

Banned

Heres how i am doing it.

Hes 3 1/2. I buy lego city or creator sets on discount. Than me, him and my grandfather spend time buiding them. So theres 3 of us, and ge takes turns doing a little of everything.

Slowly amassing a collection that he can have to build stuff with when i tear them down when hes old enough.

Ponn

Banned
We have Ninjago Movie sets in at work, but can't sell them until the 1st. I stared at the Destinys Bounty box for a bit and tried not to drool.

Soon...

If I can't scrape enough together for Ninjago City then Destinys Bounty will be my beautiful runner up prize

neonglow

Here's my Comic-Con haul. It was quick getting the Brick Headz but the exclusive minifigures each took 4-5 hours waiting in line. The Ninjago dragon was a free item they gave away at the LEGO Ninjago Movie panel.

Here's my Comic-Con haul. It was quick getting the Brick Headz but the exclusive minifigures each took 4-5 hours waiting in line. The Ninjago dragon was a free item they gave away at the LEGO Ninjago Movie panel.

Congrats.

Although if I got them I will be forever torn between keeping them sealed or actually build them.

I only have room for 2 $100+ sets for the rest of the year and honestly im gonna pass up old fishing store for destinys bounty. It just looks incredible.

I traded for the mini figures, no way I'd spend 4-6 hours and take an L, did that last year for captain america

Funkos for legos is best trade, fuck funkos

Ponn

Banned
I only have room for 2 $100+ sets for the rest of the year and honestly im gonna pass up old fishing store for destinys bounty. It just looks incredible.

I can't pass up Fishing store, especially since I have plans for it for Halloween. It's actually kinda funny how Fishing Store and Destinys Bounty go together nicely looks wise.

Could you post the Supergirl instructions later? My sister really wanted one but no way she's getting one off ebay.

ghostmind

JANG reviews 60162 Jungle Air Drop Helicopter:

https://youtu.be/Jfwmyfd-oDw

This is the big retailer-exclusive (TRU) set for the Jungle Explorers subtheme of CITY. In my opinion, this is one of the best, if not the best, of these "explorer" exclusives from recent years, and is a very complete playset on its own.

It also makes me look forward to the eventual return of Indiana Jones to LEGO.

Haines

Banned
Yeah i would have grabbed that excavator but it went oos before i woke up from 12 hour shift of OT

Its alternate form is essentially a screening plant, which is what me and my grandfather did did for 12 years, and he still does today.

Ah well, it might come down again

Stopped by local Target and Wal-Mart. Target had a bunch of stuff on discount but it was barely marked down.

Wal-Mart, however, was bananas.

Batman/Blue Beetle set for $40
Batman/Killer Croc/Red Mask set for $44
Lego Batman Ultimate Batmobile for $90
Few more I can't remember for at least 30% off, sometimes more.

Tie Striker for $40
Poe's X-Wing for $45
U-Wing for $48
Takodana for $40
Hovertank for $17

Plus several Ninjago/City/Minecraft sets that I didn't pay attention to.

I got the hovertank set because if I got anything bigger my wife might kill me right now. Figured some people might be interested.

I'm wanting killer crocs tail gator and $45 is a great deal but the rear suspension with those exposed technic beams is kinda ugly. I guess I could just mod it to look better. Hmm.

Fowler

The SDCC trailer for Ninjago movie is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhvDNySIBtc

It kind of explains the role of the ultimate weapon and it also seems Garmadon might not the final bad guy :) Plus the link to the real world... hmm one could consider it even spoiler-ish :D

Uh wow, this actually looks... pretty great! I don't know Ninjago and had no prior interest in the show or sets (except the two big ones from the movie, omg) but that trailer was super fun. Might actually watch this in the cinema!

So i've just finished Temple of Airjitzu (LTTP on this one i know) and... it looks fucking GORGEOUS on display. I was NOT ready for this despite all the praise this set has been getting here!

Honestly, this is the single best looking display set Lego has ever put out as far as buildings/landscape scenes are concerned...

I had Haunted House standing next to it and it looks second rate next to it so i took it away lol

So me and a friend have been working on getting a version of my city up and running. I'm not done, but it is fun to play around with it. The wooden house on the left my friend built and subsequently destroyed because it didn't fit the theme. Thing will be rebuilt and changed over time as well new structures being added, but I like to have at least an early build of my city on display. Placing the figs also turned out to be more fun than I expected.

mrkgoo

Finally got around to building the Turbo Track Racer 31070.

Fantastic set with tons of detail and features. It's like 80% of one of the expert creator cars, but at 60% the cost.

Doesn't have super crazy techniques for out-of-this-world angles, but it's a solid, solid set.

So does the fire extinguisher mean it's from the same designer as the adventure plane and black panther jet?

Finally got around to building the Turbo Track Racer 31070.

Fantastic set with tons of detail and features. It's like 80% of one of the expert creator cars, but at 60% the cost.

Doesn't have super crazy techniques for out-of-this-world angles, but it's a solid, solid set.

So does the fire extinguisher mean it's from the same designer as the adventure plane and black panther jet?

Turbo Track Racer!!!

And I don't think it is Marcos Bessa like those other sets. I asked him about that on Twitter and he responded with this:
"Haha! I'm not the only designer using fire extinguishers! Safety first!! :)"

Mulling over purchasing this now it's £49.99 on Amazon UK (Google says this is $65 or 65€).

I know the theme didn't set a lot of people on fire (hoho?) but since it includes a volcano it seems kind of complete and self-contained and all you need from this subtheme. But then I know I'll want to buy Ninjago movie stuff soon. Ho hum. Do you guys have any thoughts?

ghostmind

Turbo Track Racer!!!

And I don't think it is Marcos Bessa like those other sets. I asked him about that on Twitter and he responded with this:
"Haha! I'm not the only designer using fire extinguishers! Safety first!! :)"

Jeremy Luettgen & Tiago Catarino, with assistance from Andy Seenan and Mike Psiaki

Anyone here actually gotten the London Bus? I am still hemming and hawing.

And saving my money for Destiny's Bounty and Ninjago City.

The rest of the year is too expensive for the London Bus.

UCS Falcon
Fishing Store
(Maybe) Ninjago City

But tbh, even if the rest of the year was not packed, I would have skipped it.

Mulling over purchasing this now it's £49.99 on Amazon UK (Google says this is $65 or 65€).

A1VEELr0D5L._SL1500_.jpg

I know the theme didn't set a lot of people on fire (hoho?) but since it includes a volcano it seems kind of complete and self-contained and all you need from this subtheme. But then I know I'll want to buy Ninjago movie stuff soon. Ho hum. Do you guys have any thoughts?
That's one of the sets on clearance at Walmart here; they're selling it for $59 right now.

Spike Spiegel said:
hey all, i was at walmart today and noticed they marked down the rathtar escape set to $54. checking the app it seems like a handful of stores here (michigan) have the same price. might be worth checking out your area.
It's not just the Rathtar Escape set. Guys...

Check your local Wal-Mart.

TdYw1K0.jpg

That's:

70627 - Ninjago Dragon's Forge - $77.00 $59.00
70352 - Nexo Knights Jestro's Headquarters - $87.00 $49.00
70917 - LEGO Batman The Ultimate Batmobile - $139.96 $99.00

I went in for a couple of groceries and spent $200+ on LEGO. Also spotted, took pictures of:

41118 - Friends Heartlake Supermarket - $29.97 $21.00
41119 - Friends Heartlake Cupcake Cafe - $39.97 $30.00
41129 - Friends Amusement Park Hot Dog Van - $29.97 $21.00

41179 - Elves Queen Dragon's Rescue - $69.97 $49.00
41180 - Elves Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle - $96.97 - $69.00

60122 - CITY Volcano Crawler - $39.73 $25.00
60123 - CITY Volcano Supply Helicopter - $46.64 $30.00
60124 - CITY Volcano Exploration Base - $115.00 $59.00

70349 - Nexo Knights Ruina's Lock & Roller - $19.37 $11.00
70351 - Nexo Knights Clay's Falcon Fighter Blaster - $48.44 $35.00

70592 - Ninjago Salvage M.E.C. - $39.73 $25.00
70594 - Ninjago The Lighthouse Siege - $68.00 $49.00
70626 - Ninjago Dawn of Iron Doom - $53.00 $40.00

75145 - Star Wars Eclipse Fighter - $29.84 $17.00
75147 - Star Wars StarScavenger - $46.64 $35.00
75154 - Star Wars TIE Striker - $68.00 $40.00
75156 - Star Wars Krennic's Imperial Shuttle - $73.00 $64.00
75117 - Star Wars Kylo Ren - $20.88 $15.00
75523 - Star Wars Scarif Stormtrooper - $24.24 $15.00

75828 - Ghostbusters (2016) Ecto-1 & 2 - $59.68 $35.00

76045 - DC Superheroes Kryptonite Interception - $29.84 $17.00
76054 - DC Superheroes Batman: Scarecrow Harvest of Fear $57.00 $40.00
76055 - DC Superheroes Batman: Killer Croc Sewer Smash $64.00 $49.00

76076 - Marvel Superheroes Captain America Jet Pursuit - $19.37 $15.00

All Brickheadz - $9.64 $7.00
All DC/Marvel Mighty Micros - $9.64 $5.00 or $7.00
All Star Wars Microfighters - $9.84 $5.00 or $7.00
It's one of the sets I considered, but in the end the other sets I bought looked more interesting to me so I passed. The CITY sets are overpriced for what you get, so the clearance knocks it down to a more reasonable amount and makes it tempting.

wetwired

I haven't made much progress on the batcave but here's a pick of what little I did do over the weekend, hoping to get stuck into it this week and get the other side more fleshed out before working on the rock walls above, hopefully it'll extend about the height of the middle tower again

pcdcGtn.jpg

Top Bottom