• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku(Jan23): Have official Orbis docs; Devkit: PS4- 8GBRAM,2.2GBVRAM, Controller

JoshHood

Yeah, Little Big Planet is another game that supports is as well indeed :) I wonder why more game doesnt support it, especially Call of Duty Black Ops 1, Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 2. Three games that are really popular and supports split-screen online.

Black Ops 2 definitely supports it - I play that game exclusively split-screen online sitting on the sofa with my girlfriend with both our accounts logged in.

i-Lo

Isn't he the guy that designed FXAA?... what exactly does he do as a developer in games?

Given I am only a console gamer, may I ask, to whomever possesses the answer, why is FXAA loathed by so many when it looks to be one of the least resource intensive forms of AA methods?

nib95

Banned
It is the old dev kit, used to simulate the sum total GDDR5 of 2GB, according Thuway. So the dev kits would have changed now to reflect the 4GB (3.5 usable) GDDR5 UMA.

Are you sure these specs are from older dev kits? I know final deb kits are due for immanent release.

Given I am only a console gamer, may I ask, to whomever possesses the answer, why is FXAA loathed by so many when it looks to be one of the least resource intensive forms of AA methods?

People are being spoiled. FXAA on a console game running on a TV is serviceable. Its better than jaggies. And better than sacrificing detail or FPS for a more intense AA solution.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gemüsepizza;46844823 said:

So the dev kit that Kotaku reported on is actually 'old' (as of summer last year).

The January 2013 update is based on a SoC, closer to final silicon:

Available January 2013
CPU: 8-core Jaguar
GPU: Liverpool GPU
RAM: unified 8 GB for devkit (4 GB for the retail console)
Subsystem: HDD, Network Controller, BD Drive, Bluetooth Controller, WLAN and HDMI (up to 1980×1080@3D)
Analog Outputs: Audio, Composite Video
Connection to Host: USB 3.0 (targeting over 200 MB/s),
ORBIS Dualshock
Dual Camera

Pretty much as expected.

But dual camera? Stereo camera, for depth?

i-Lo

People are being spoiled. FXAA on a console game running on a TV is serviceable. Its better than jaggies. And better than sacrificing detail or FPS for a more intense AA solution.

Most devs don't like proprietary API's.

It's "ugly" (it really isn't THAT bad... considering how little processing it uses).

Given the nature of closed box, where resources must be used with absolute prudence, will a higher multiplier of FXAA (say 4x) suffice without being an utter drain?

Or are there other forms of AA out there are better in quality and are acceptably efficient to be used in a console?

Kushan

Neo Member
Well either it's a massive conspiracy or the Orbis specs have been all but confirmed at this point. Interesting.

erick

Banned

Because it "muddies up" the alpha-textures (like UI) and blurs the shadows, not just the edges that AA is supposed to be applied to.

This can be minimized or avoided if the game is coded from the start with FXAA in mind. The majority of the problems supposedly arise when trying to use this technique retroactively.

However it is super simple to implement and offers very good quality for the resources it uses which makes it extremely fast.

Therefore it is quickly becoming the popular solution.

i-Lo

Because it "muddies up" the alpha-textures (like UI) and blurs the shadows, not just the edges that AA is supposed to be applied to.

This can be minimized or avoided if the game is coded from the start with FXAA in mind. The majority of the problems supposedly arise when trying to use this technique retroactively.

However it is super simple to implement and offers very good quality for the resources it uses which makes it extremely fast.

Therefore it is quickly becoming the popular solution.

I see. Thank you for the information.

What....what if you just used the Vita as your controller? Or basically what if they are redesigning the Vita to be the controller for the PS4? I haven't used the Vita so I don't know how it would feel now. Handheld and console in one?

QP3

What....what if you just used the Vita as your controller? Or basically what if they are redesigning the Vita to be the controller for the PS4? I haven't used the Vita so I don't know how it would feel now. Handheld and console in one?

I feel like they wouldn't make it mandatory. Would you buy a $200+ controller?

Having it as an option would be nice though, especially stream play.

You mean Eye toy? Since you know Kinect is glorified Eyetoy but some of you seem to be born yesterday

Born yesterday? Calm yourself child, there's really nothing to get worked up about.

If Eyetoy could handle depth data without a reference point (Move wand) I'd say you had a point, but it can't, and you don't. It's like comparing a steering wheel controller with a Wii remote. They can sort of do similar things, but they're really not the same.

Stereoscopic Eyetoy though, that will definitely be able to handle depth data. Though probably not as accurately as with infra-red..

Elios83

If you guys want to discuss Orbis specs, use this thread. This leak is garbage, which should have been obvious from the word "Kotaku".

Actually the vgleak article discussed in the thread you're linking, confirmed the Kotaku story. The specs discussed in this thread belong (supposedly) to an old PS4 devkit.
Specs for the final product will be different, but at this point I wouldn't put faith in any of these threads. The risk of being trolled by assuming that certain things are facts just to have them being changed the next day is really high atm :D

Globox_82

Banned
Born yesterday? Calm yourself child, there's really nothing to get worked up about.

Trying too hard much?

If Eyetoy could handle depth data without a reference point (Move wand) I'd say you had a point, but it can't, and you don't. It's like comparing a steering wheel controller with a Wii remote. They can sort of do similar things, but they're really not the same.

Stereoscopic Eyetoy though, that will definitely be able to handle depth data. Though probably not as accurately as with infra-red..

Buahahahaha

DieH@rd

Banned
so this 2.2GBVRAM, is that extra is it true? sony didn't mention it.
What is secondary chip that sony did mention?

2.2vram was a part of an ancient ps4 devkit. We know nothing about secondary chip. There is a good chance AMD managed to put one small ARM inside of APU [they are already doing it for security reasons in PC products].

pottuvoi

Banned
For those that don't know, he is the creator of FXAA and TXAA (which is just another name for FXAA 4.0). Very talented and intelligent guy :)
FXAA 4.0 is not TXAA.

FXAA is refinement of FXAA and a post AA.
TXAA uses MSAA samples and does custom resolve. (while using a temporal re-projection as well.)

Top Bottom