• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Azazzel

WW is crowned Queen of comic book origin films and all we can talk about is how WB is fucking things up. This media cycle stuff is really exhausting. We don't even what the hell Reeves has in mind and that's something that can change at any moment.

It's useless to speculate right now.

That seems to be the problem. It's always changing. Everything always seems to be changing.

Penguin

That seems to be the problem. It's always changing. Everything always seems to be changing.

Yeah, I mean most creative endeavors aren't solid products

I'm sure even when a game, movie, book, TV show finished, if you asked the creative forces could tell you 100 things wanna change or do differently or get rid of.

Heck ask Lucas and Star Wars

Ninjimbo

I'm with Penguin. I like to think a lot of these movies come to life in improvisational environments. Sometimes this happens in small productions or sometime it happens in big productions (see Jackson's LotR trilogy). The movie Matt is thinking up now more than likely won't be the one he ends up with especially once he's had input from the crew he goes with.

Basically, idk, let's not read too much into what they're saying. It's all vaporware.

a916

Ion even know about Shazam. Feels like they casted the Rock 3 years ago. Nothing since.

I really don't get that one the most. Like you say you're going into production (director said or Deadline reported the rumor), and you can't even be bothered to announce a Batson or a date? Like what? lol

It starts filming early next year, it's already been confrimed the Rock won't be in it.

Wait, huh? Rock isn't attached anymore? When did that come out? Damn.

We still don't know who's playing who. On its own, that's not that weird, but viewed as a part of WB's practices as a whole, it's discouraging. Hell, we still don't know what's going on with the Flash.

They knock it out of the park with Wonder Woman (and I said then I was sure that was gonna be an outlier), but they still seem kinda lost outside of Aquaman. Justice League is gonna be....interesting, to say the least.

Is it weird, hasn't that been a a DCEU Mo for awhile now. How long did it take to find out who were playing Ares and Steppanwolf.

I don't think that's really comparable. You are talking villains. We don't even know who plays Billy and Shazam! and his supporting cast. This movie is starting filming in 6 months.

ryan299

Wait, huh? Rock isn't attached anymore? When did that come out? Damn.

We still don't know who's playing who. On its own, that's not that weird, but viewed as a part of WB's practices as a whole, it's discouraging. Hell, we still don't know what's going on with the Flash.

They knock it out of the park with Wonder Woman (and I said then I was sure that was gonna be an outlier), but they still seem kinda lost outside of Aquaman. Justice League is gonna be....interesting, to say the least.

Black Adam is getting his own movie. They're going to need to get a huge star to carry Shazam.

Penguin

That usually is how it goes though... WB seems like a super leaky company, when does Marvel ever leak anything?

What is there to leak?

Like we know their movies through what 2020?

And it's a much smaller operation

Same way MS/Sony are leaker than Nintendo.

Ross61

Per Justin Kroll(Variety): JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK update: Studio Back to work on script after recent presentations by directors underwhelmed execs.

Effect

Per Justin Kroll(Variety): JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK update: Studio Back to work on script after recent presentations by directors underwhelmed execs.

On this front I wish they could just grab some Shadowpact comics, the Reign in Hell mini series if they want to jump in deep, Day of Judgement or Day of Vengeance mini series, some Constantine. They should not be trying to force the Justice League Dark team. They can do a whole separate universe with these characters, stories, locations, etc. Do not let Suicide Squad be the last time we see June Moon/Enchantress. Recast if you need to. It's similar to who the Green Lantern Corp can really be it's own thing, especially if you include all of DC cosmic and toss in some Adam Strange and get Superman off Earth once in a while.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So that Joker and Harley movie is really moving forward

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-stupid-love-filmmakers-write-direct-1032210

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, who direct and executive produce the hit NBC drama This Is Us and who also wrote and helmed Crazy, Stupid, Love are entering the DC cinematic universe at Warner Bros.

The duo are in final negotiations to write and direct an untitled movie project centering on Batman villains Joker and Harley Quinn.

Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are due to reprise their roles as the villains, among the most popular characters in the DC pantheon, and which they first portrayed in 2016’s Suicide Squad.

Insiders say that the plan is for this feature to go after the studio makes a sequel to Suicide Squad. The latter is on the development fast-track and out to directors. But the Joker and Harley Quinn movie is also moving fast as the studio has to contend with actors holding agreements, say sources.

Odoul

I loved Man of Steel.

Sort of liked BvS.

And found Wonder Woman somewhere in between.

The nonsense from this studio since The Flash director dropped out is really making me want to see them fail.

Ross61

So i guess we were wrong earlier. Matt Reeves Batman won't star Affleck and will be set in a different time period and universe from Justice League.

Why the hell would Reeves say it starred Affleck?

Also Deadline is saying GCS turned into this. So I guess Ayer is gone for good.

What the fuck is happening

Nobody knows. I doubt people at Warner Bros know anymore at this point.

This is what happens when people bitch about Snyder. He at least had a fucking huge wall in his office showing how all the original movies would be linked together, you know, a collective universe with a plan.

So i guess we were wrong earlier. Matt Reeves Batman won't star Affleck and will be set in a different time period and universe from Justice League.

Is there something new on the Reeves/Batman stuff?

I don't know why people thought the shit from earlier this morning was taken out of context or wrong. It's been hinted at by a few people in the past.

J_Viper

Wait has that been confirmed?

Also, I'm a bit sad we're missing out on Catwoman and Ivy. I'm okay with a Kekster/Harley though.

If it's two hours of that scene at the chemical warehouse in SS, I'm down. I don't know why, but I really like that scene

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
What was it though?
The article had a line that flat out said Reeve's Batman film wouldn't be in the DCEU and wouldn't star Affleck.

I think something from WB is coming soon. Maybe even tomorrow or Friday. They have to clear up this mess and let everyone know wtf is going on.

The article had a line that flat out said Reeve's Batman film wouldn't be in the DCEU and wouldn't star Affleck.

I think something from WB is coming soon. Maybe even tomorrow or Friday. They have to clear up this mess and let everyone know wtf is going on.

Might have been something they might be chasing down too.

I don't expect Warner Bros to clear anything up. Comic Con didn't really clear up anything. The Joker/Harley movie was rumored around that time, Ben kinda gave a "I love Batman, but I won't fully commit" speech during the panel, and they just dumped out logos with no rhyme or reason.

The chaos sadly benefits them until they actually figure out what they're doing.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Why do we say they have no idea what they're doing just because these films are announced in development?
I've never said that (or at least I don't remember saying it). To me, this actually looks like they are getting their ducks in a row, it's just that the stuff is leaking out all at once and not coming from WB/DC themselves like how Marvel does it. If Geoff Johns could get on TV again and do another DC special with Kevin Smith and actually talk about the development of this stuff, the talk back would be waaaaaay less. It's all in how you present it.

In a way, they're doing exactly what all the DC haters wanted. Dumping the "trash" and soft rebooting with new creative teams. Snyder and Ayer, gone. Re-branding movies to fit more in line with the reaction Wonder Woman got. It's only been 2 months since WB got the feedback from WW, which is probably the time it took for the creatives to hammer out the new line up and direction. Now it's starting to come out, but probably in ways they didn't want.

Why do we say they have no idea what they're doing just because these films are announced in development?

Cause there appears to be no rhyme or reason to anything being announced/rumored/speculated. Most of the shit is spin offs or random characters not even introduced yet. Meanwhile, you have major characters who are stuck in limbo.

It literally gives the perception that they are just throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks first. They have projects announced YEARS ago that are somehow one the same level of development, or somehow behind, stuff that is being thrown around now.

Where are the writers, producers, or directors working on a Superman sequel? Yet, we know about the creative team behind what will likely be the THIRD film featuring Harley and the Joker in the connected universe.

If Geoff Johns could get on TV again and do another DC special with Kevin Smith and actually talk about the development of this stuff, the talk back would be waaaaaay less. It's all in how you present it.
Why? The shit he said 18 months ago now still hasn't really come to fruition yet.

Ross61

Cause there appears to be no rhyme or reason to anything being announced. Most of the shit being announced are spin offs or random characters not even introduced yet. Meanwhile, you have major characters who are stuck in limbo.

It literally gives the perception that they are just throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks first. They have projects announced YEARS ago that are somehow one the same level of develop, or somehow behind, stuff that is being thrown around now.

Where are the writers, producers, or directors working on a Superman sequel? Yet, we know about the creative team behind what will likely be the THIRD film featuring Harley and the Joker in the connected universe.
That is actually common as hell regarding movies in general.
Just because something is in development doesn't mean it's coming in the near future.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Hollywood Reporter updated their article with a Batman clarification...

Aug. 23, 6:40 p.m. An earlier version of this story stated that Matt Reeves' The Batman was part of Warner Bros.' new label and would star a new actor as Batman, but it is unclear where that project will fall.

I've never said that (or at least I don't remember saying it). To me, this actually looks like they are getting their ducks in a row, it's just that the stuff is leaking out all at once and not coming from WB/DC themselves like how Marvel does it. If Geoff Johns could get on TV again and do another DC special with Kevin Smith and actually talk about the development of this stuff, the talk back would be waaaaaay less. It's all in how you present it.

In a way, they're doing exactly what all the DC haters wanted. Dumping the "trash" and soft rebooting with new creative teams. Snyder and Ayer, gone. Re-branding movies to fit more in line with the reaction Wonder Woman got. It's only been 2 months since WB got the feedback from WW, which is probably the time it took for the creatives to hammer out the new line up and direction. Now it's starting to come out, but probably in ways they didn't want.

And you have them and their fans immediately denying every leak, and then just acting like nothing happens when Everything is proven true, which doesn't help at all

That is actually common as hell regarding movies in general.
Just because something is in development doesn't mean it's coming in the near future.

Really? The Flash was rumored back before the Batman v Superman announcement at the 2013 Comic Con -- it was actually part of the initial leak/rumor of WB announcing a CU at that Comic Con. The fact that movie and The Batman are still in limbo is a complete failure on their part.

Hell, now we have a Batman film coming and we don't even know which brand it's associated with anymore.

Ross61

Really? The Flash was rumored back before the Batman v Superman announcement at the 2013 Comic Con -- it was actually part of the initial leak/rumor of WB announcing a CU at that Comic Con. The fact that movie and The Batman are still in limbo is a complete failure on their part.

Hell, now we have a Batman film coming and we don't even know which brand it's associated with anymore.
I disagree but to each their own. I'd rather they get the movie right then get them out quickly.

Sulik2

I honestly wonder if the Reeves thing was misinterpreted and he meant it as outside the dceu in the sense it's set when Batman was the only hero and before everything else we have seen.

I disagree but to each their own. I'd rather they get the movie right then get them out quickly.

Get them out quickly? Those rumors were four years ago. We're almost in 2018 and Flash hasn't had a meaningful update in awhile and the Batman is currently a dumpster fire of uncertainty.

I wouldn't call the possibility of a Batman film not even being connected with your cinematic universe, regardless of quality, getting it right. It's a failure if they do that.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly wonder if the Reeves thing was misinterpreted and he meant it as outside the dceu in the sense it's set when Batman was the only hero and before everything else we have seen.
That would make sense if Affleck isn't going to do it and it's a prequel movie taking place in the late 90's early 2000's. No other heroes would've been around or still in hiding (WW, Aquaman).

I hope it's not though, I want to see Ben in a solo movie and doing the detective stuff with his entire rogues gallery available.

Ross61

Get them out quickly? Those rumors were four years ago. We're almost in 2018 and Flash hasn't had a meaningful update in awhile and the Batman is currently a dumpster fire of uncertainty.

I wouldn't call the possibility of a Batman film not even being connected with your cinematic universe, regardless of quality, getting it right. It's a failure if they do that.
We just got a meaningful update for Flash last month right?

And I'd rather have no Batman film than a bad one.

We just got a meaningful update for Flash last month right?

And I'd rather have no Batman film than a bad one.

Cool, we got a title which sounds like a complete reboot of whatever work was done to that point. Again, stuck in limbo.

And waiting around to do a Batman film doesn't mean it's going to be good either.

Top Bottom