• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Slim |OT| Svelte, Efficient, and now, with less Optical flair

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I asked Amazon via email why the system is showing arrival on Sept 27th. They pretty much said it's just a placeholder and they will ship as soon as they receive it. Lame that Sony apparently screwed Amazon over?

Also, the Amazon rep changed my shipping speed to overnight... and charged me 12 bucks for it... they have been on a roll lately. Of course, I changed it back to free Prime two day shipping, which cleared the extra $12 from my order.

Cornbread78

I asked Amazon via email why the system is showing arrival on Sept 27th. They pretty much said it's just a placeholder and they will ship as soon as they receive it. Lame that Sony apparently screwed Amazon over?

Also, the Amazon rep changed my shipping speed to overnight... and charged me 12 bucks for it... they have been on a roll lately. Of course, I changed it back to free Prime two day shipping, which cleared the extra $12 from my order.

Why would Sony screw over Amazon of all places? Just doesn't make sense..

Coxy100

Banned
Can't wait to get my Slim - 2 weeks tomorrow!

I made a thread about why I'm choosing the Slim over the Pro - in essence it's this:

a) I have no intention of buying a 4K TV in the future. I'm actually buying a new TV at Christmas but my budget will only be £300 ish - not enough to buy a decent 4K TV whereas it's enough to get a really good 43" HDTV.

b) For £330 I can get a bundle of 1TB Slim, a controller and Fifa 17. That's £20 cheaper than the Pro and yet I'm getting an extra controller and Fifa 17.

c) The Slim is a lot smaller which is great for where I'm putting it - the Pro would have to stand up where the space is - which I'm never keen on doing. And presumably it's quieter.

d) I actually owned a PS4 at launch (sold for an XB1) and I was perfectly happy with the graphics - I see no need to get a Pro

Can't wait!

Kai Ozu

Seems like only a few best buys in my area have them, amazon customer support basically told me to take my business elsewhere.

Unknown?

Huh on Amazon they won't have stock till the 22nd! They must not have made enough units.. After how long it took to roll out you'd think they would have!

LOL why? The ps5 will release in 2019 at the latest. All you pro people will only be able to enjoy a couple of games and then Sony is going to announce the ps5.

Every PS4 game released for the next 3 years isn't 'a couple of games'. That said, I see nothing wrong with sticking with the OG PS4, and I say that as a day one Pro buyer. The only game that I have issues with on the original PS4 is FFXV, visually, and judging from the latest footage, that seems to have been ironed out?

I'm really tempted to pick up the FFXV Slim but...waste of money :(

Yawnny

Phoned a couple local gaming stores where I live (in Canada).

It's funny how people barely even know that this thing was announced, much less released!

Ran into an issue, my OG system I had a 1TB, swapped and returned original HDD, went to swap my 1TB into the Slim and now I can't see my stuff. Lovely

vareon

Getting this in October. $299 is a good price for a dude like me who just wanted a PS4 . Plus the slim form looks better on my desk.

Yawnny

Its got annoued and release pretty quick.

I used to manage a local game store and I expected myself to know about console announcements/releases so I can let the customer know.

I'm not saying these people are imbeciles, I just didn't think it would take me a couple stores to find out info regarding stock.

PS: My Best Buy brought them in and are selling today.

Loudninja

I managed a local game store for 5 years and I expected myself to know about console announcements/releases so I can let the customer know.

I'm not saying these people are imbeciles, I just didn't think it would take me a couple stores to find out info regarding stock.

PS: My Best Buy brought them in and are selling today.
Yeah I know what you are saying.

Ran into an issue, my OG system I had a 1TB, swapped and returned original HDD, went to swap my 1TB into the Slim and now I can't see my stuff. Lovely

I don't believe you can just put a HDD in the system and have it work like that. You're going to either have to backup everything on a separate HDD or download everything again.

Cornbread78

Wait, sorry if I missed it, but the slim can do 4k video from Netflix? At least that's what the OP info sheet says.

- I dotted that 4K out (or at least thought I did previously) and just did it again in Imgur and is fixed. All of the spec sheets online have it listed for some reason, but it's only the Pro that has confirmed 4k streaming with HDR being added to all the systems.

So is there any benefit to getting this over a used OG PS4?

Smaller and quieter? You can get an OG system right now on sale as the retailers try to clear out the shelf space. (Wal-Mart has theirs for $279)

How many is 6 cases? Seems like a token launch.

About 20-25 units total (I didn't count all of them, lol)

Huh on Amazon they won't have stock till the 22nd! They must not have made enough units.. After how long it took to roll out you'd think they would have!

Someone said that an Amazon rep said that a placeholder date until they get the stock it. It may be a few days, or it may be 2 weeks. Not really sure at this time

Yawnny

Smaller and quieter? You can get an OG system right now on sale as the retailers try to clear out the shelf space. (Wal-Mart has theirs for $279)

I haven't managed to find any deals on the OG yet, my Best Buy is still selling theirs for the same price as the Slim.

Blanquito

That for the PS4 Pro.

Look at the spec sheet in the op, in the "Output resolution" row, for the slim and OG ps4. It says "4k (video only)"

- I dotted that 4K out (or at least thought I did previously) and just did it again in Imgur and is fixed. All of the spec sheets online have it listed for some reason, but it's only the Pro that has confirmed 4k streaming with HDR being added to all the systems.

Hm, I still see it? See above. [edit] nm now it's changed. Thanks.

Picked mine up about an hour ago, the GameStop employee was telling me that it had a release date of 9/16 had to wait about 40 minutes of her calling the manager to make sure it was okay to sell. Not sure if anyone ran into any issues picking one at GameStop but mine was a pain to get. Have the system sitting in the office now, couple more hours till I get to unbox it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
LOL why? The ps5 will release in 2019 at the latest. All you pro people will only be able to enjoy a couple of games and then Sony is going to announce the ps5.

You think every major game in the next 3 years is a couple? And even then, why does that matter when some devs will patch previous games as time goes on, and you can still play your library just fine?

ArchAngel

Got mine today, forgot to do a USB backup of my old MGSV PS4.
12h to go for the backup *lol* At least I can let it backup over night now.

Just did a system restore on a Slim. 28 minutes for 79GBs worth of data. So smooth, so sexy, once you go Slim you never go Fat again! :3

PS4 is a beast.

Levito

Banned
What is the point in coming in this thread to say the slim is a waste of money cause of the pro? Get over yourselves, nerds.

Got mine today, the fans are super quiet. Disk drive is still kinda loud though.

Much better design overall than OG PS4.

Kade

Got my Slim today. If I do a system transfer, is it basically just cloning the source drive onto the target drive? I ask because I haven't done a system transfer before and I don't know if I'd lose P.T.

ar4757

Picked up the Slim today at BestBuy. Being in and out in 5 minutes is very nice.

With no disc in the system this thing is a ninja. With Black Ops 3 installing gamedata while I play the default zombies map the drive was loud of course haha

Coxy100

Banned
Come on guys we need more impressions / pics in this thread. I've gone for the 1TB version so I have to wait for 2 weeks :(

Adan0s

Any idea if it's possible to just insert the HDD from the old PS4 into the Slim? I'm using a trade in promotion and don't want to loose P.T. :(

Top Bottom