• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InfoScout "PlayStation Takes the Shelf, Xbox Wins the Browser"

Kathian

Banned
I thought they stopped selling the original when the slim came out?

Hmm possibly am think of deals before BF but least in the UK I saw a few offers on the OG as they dumped stock. Not that I'd expect it to be significant but would have thought it would appear.

shanew21

MS will have the same problem. If people think the Pro is minor to the PS4 people won't be impressed by Scorpio when comparing it to the Pro. Especially if it's more expensive like its projected to be and like said above if the Pro does bad MS has an even harder time to promote it.

Anyway this is expected. It's about deals and the Pro had nothing. A better gauge would be to see how they compare in a regular month.

The PS4 Pro was on sale for $340...

I don't necessarily think it's that hard to promote the Scorpio. "Most Powerful Console Ever!", "Native 4K on major games!", then showcase the big differences in the games. With more VRAM and possibly a Zen CPU, that thing will easily outclass the PS4 Pro. It's much harder for Sony to sell "kind of 4K ish and native 4K on smaller games!".

Plus by next year the 4K market will be much bigger.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so you're telling me that the console that had no discounts didnt sell well against the two consoles that were price slashed and bundled to hell and back?

tell me more because i dont believe you

yeah. most pro sales were likely front loaded with launch pre-orders. although it seemed like a decent number of people bought pros the sunday before and the sunday after due to the Target deals.

Capella

BF is a day where people buy a ton of cheap stuff that is heavily advertised. The Pro number really doesn't mean anything, because it wasn't part of those deals.

Why would anyone go and buy a Pro on Black Friday?
Yeah, I'm not understanding the surprise here. The pro just came out and I don't recall seeing any ads advertising it as being on sale.

kpaadet

I'd argue they're pretty happy about it, because it means their decision to not upgrade hardware this year was justified (Phil said they had discussed making a PS4 Pro-ish model instead of the S)

It also gives them a full year to learn about what the PS4 Pro did right and wrong without it really killing their market share.
I doubt MS is happy to see a more powerful and more expensive PS4 not going well (even if it was black Friday and the focus was on the slim). Since MS is doing the same thing but with more focus on power and therefore even higher price.

I don't necessarily think it's that hard to promote the Scorpio. "Most Powerful Console Ever!", "Native 4K on major games!", then showcase the big differences in the games. With more VRAM and possibly a Zen CPU, that thing will easily outclass the PS4 Pro. It's much harder for Sony to sell "kind of 4K ish and native 4K on smaller games!".

I think you're in for a rude awakening.

Loris146

During cyber monday not BF.

Welfare

Actually, looking at this, this shows that every other Xbox One SKU combined only had 1% at retail but 3% online. Interesting difference.

Quonny

Was there even a half decent Pro promo?

Not on Black Friday, which is why people saying the Pro bombed confuse me.

We'll know more if/when we get some hard numbers. But this graph is meaningless for the Pro and without knowing retail vs online numbers it's pretty meaningless to compare.

MrNelson

Banned
This narrative of the PS4 Pro just being a minor upgrade to the PS4 should not sit well with Sony.

You've got to think Microsoft will market Scorpio as the next big thing. More of a gigantic leap than a minor upgrade.

I mean, I'm still convinced the the Scorpio is a new generation of hardware rather than the incremental upgrade the Pro was based on what we know so far with its specs.

On top of that, its not like Microsoft hasn't had a 4 year generation before.

Boke1879

Why in Gods name are people acting shocked the Pro didn't light up the sales charts on Black Friday? The thing was $400 compared to a $250 dollar bundle. It had no deals. The only deal it got was the Sunday after Black Friday.

We don't really have any data as to how it's selling in the US. I'm expecting like 350k for it in NA. It seems people are expecting it to sell on par with the Slim at this point. It's not a new console. You'll probably see a bigger push for the Pro later next year. When it drops in price and it bundled with Destiny 2, RDR or Horizon.

At this point Sony has sold over 50 million consoles. They don't care which one you buy. They are making a profit off both boxes

Not on Black Friday, which is why people saying the Pro bombed confuse me.

We'll know more if/when we get some hard numbers. But this graph is meaningless for the Pro and without knowing retail vs online numbers it's pretty meaningless to compare.

It's kinda funny how people forget what deals there where in less than 2 weeks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I mean, I'm still convinced the the Scorpio is a new generation of hardware rather than the incremental upgrade the Pro was based on what we know so far with its specs.

The % difference in GPU between Pro and Scorpio is the same as PS4 to Xbox One and those are clearly the same gen.

DesertFox

This narrative of the PS4 Pro just being a minor upgrade to the PS4 should not sit well with Sony.

You've got to think Microsoft will market Scorpio as the next big thing. More of a gigantic leap than a minor upgrade.

But how can they when they've already announced that it will be a part of the Xbox One ecosystem? It can't be the next best thing if it's not allowed to stand on it's own. (Referring to all Scorpio games being mandated to run on OG Xbox Ones)

shanew21

I doubt MS is happy to see a more powerful and more expensive PS4 not going well (even if it was black Friday and the focus was on the slim). Since MS is doing the same thing but with more focus on power and therefore even higher price.

I think you're in for a rude awakening.
It's all about the marketing. Microsoft has an entire E3 to hype this thing and showcase exclusives that are built around that hardware (but also work on the regular).

Sony had a late press conference after E3, had to promote VR at the same time, and couldn't sell the power nearly as easily.

It's all about the unity of the message. Sony has to diversify their message across so many different things. MS will come in hot on the Scorpio next year and beat the "most powerful console ever" line into the dirt.

The % difference in GPU between Pro and Scorpio is the same as PS4 to Xbox One and those are clearly the same gen.

But it also has 4 more gigs of VRAM and possibly a better CPU.

Lothars

The thing is Scorpio has to be priced right, If it's 499 or higher than Scorpio is in trouble.

Why in Gods name are people acting shocked the Pro didn't light up the sales charts on Black Friday?

Ignorance. Or using inappropriately to support an argument in favor of their preconceptions.

Was there even a half decent Pro promo?

No, and there wasn't supposed to be. This is a product designed to cater to price insensitive/niche core audience. This is not a BF/promotional SKU. So of course it didn't light up the charts.

Guymelef

It's all about the marketing. Microsoft has an entire E3 to hype this thing and showcase exclusives that are built around that hardware (but also work on the regular).

Sony had a late press conference after E3, had to promote VR at the same time, and couldn't sell the power nearly as easily.

It's all about the unity of the message. Sony has to diversify their message across so many different things. MS will come in hot on the Scorpio next year and beat the "most powerful console ever" line into the dirt.

If market speaks and don't buy a middle gen PS4 (as you say, it's "the most powerful console ever" right now) Sony will continue selling a ton of PS4.
If market speaks and don't buy a middle gen XBO, Xbox One sales will be in trouble.

border

Sony has done a pretty terrible job of demonstrating the purpose or value of buying the Pro, particularly for 1080P owners and people who already have a PS4.

It's really no surprise that the retail response to the Pro has been kind of tepid.

Scorpio will have an uphill battle as well, but hopefully more robust upgrades will mean that upgraded games have more pronounced and demonstrable differences.

kpaadet

It's not all about marketing, it's all about price. The average consumer is not power sensitive they are price sensitive. It's the same thing every gen (and now also "mid gen"), price is the most important factor not power.

Boke1879

Sony has done a pretty terrible job of demonstrating the purpose or value of buying the Pro, particularly for 1080P owners and people who already have a PS4.

It's really no surprise that the retail response to the Pro has been kind of tepid.

Scorpio will have an uphill battle as well, but hopefully more robust upgrades will mean that upgraded games have more pronounced and demonstrable differences.

Again. We have no data on how the Pro is doing and we certainly shouldn't be using stats from Black Friday to gauge that when the Slime SKU was damn near $150-$200 cheaper.

And again it seems people expected this box to sell millions out the gate. I don't think that was ever the plan. You'll see more of a focus on Pro being pushed to the mainstream once it hits the $350 price tag.

shanew21

If market speaks and don't buy a middle gen PS4 (as you say, it's "the most powerful console ever" right now) Sony will continue selling a ton of PS4.
If market speaks and don't buy a middle gen XBO, Xbox One sales will be in trouble.
My point is that I'm not sure the mass market realizes the power difference in the PS4 Pro. "Pro" versions of consoles aren't new. Even the Xbox One had the "Elite" model with the controller and a hybrid hard drive.

But you don't see Sony marketing the power of it that extensively. You see an HDR and a checkerboard 4K push, but MS also has the HDR box checked on the Xbox One S. Sony failed to even provide some really good A/B comparisons in their marketing. This thing is twice as powerful as the PS4. Why aren't they hyping that? It's a bigger leap than they're making it out to be.

Just take the E3 hype video that MS released. Over 3M views on Youtube. Playstation's PS4 Pro intro has 1M. It's all about the marketing.

flkraven

I'm really surprised that the pro sales were so much lower than the standard PS4. You'd think anyone jumping in now would want the pro. The cheaper sku of the Xbox One S makes sense since I assume those are being moved as cheap 4K dvd players.

Lothars

My point is that I'm not sure the mass market realizes the power difference in the PS4 Pro. "Pro" versions of consoles aren't new. Even the Xbox One had the "Elite" model with the controller and a hybrid hard drive.

But you don't see Sony marketing the power of it that extensively. You see an HDR and a checkerboard 4K push, but MS also has the HDR box checked on the Xbox One S. Sony failed to even provide some really good A/B comparisons in their marketing. This thing is twice as powerful as the PS4. Why aren't they hyping that? It's a bigger leap than they're making it out to be.

Just take the E3 hype video that MS released. Over 3M views on Youtube. Playstation's PS4 Pro intro has 1M. It's all about the marketing.
Marketing can be a part of it but Price will determine if both the Pro and Scorpio is a success and so far Microsoft is screaming how it will be a premium console, so that leads some of us to believe that it will be really expensive.

The "Elite" is totally different and was mainly marketed that way because of the controller. The Pro is actually an upgrade over the PS4 compared to the Elite with the Xbox One. It's not comparable at all.

shanew21

Marketing can be a part of it but Price will determine if both the Pro and Scorpio is a success and so far Microsoft is screaming how it will be a premium console, so that leads some of us to believe that it will be really expensive.

The "Elite" is totally different and was mainly marketed that way because of the controller. The Pro is actually an upgrade over the PS4 compared to the Elite with the Xbox One. It's not comparable at all.
Definitely agree there, but so far I've just been really perplexed as to how Sony has marketed the Pro. Definitely needed a better reveal and more unified message.

As for the Elite, that's exactly my point. It shouldn't be comparable, but I'm not sure the average consumer realizes that.

Lothars

Definitely agree there, but so far I've just been really perplexed as to how Sony has marketed the Pro. Definitely needed a better reveal and more unified message.
I don't think they do, The Pro is doing a good job with the message they have had.

DesertFox

I'm really surprised that the pro sales were so much lower than the standard PS4. You'd think anyone jumping in now would want the pro. The cheaper sku of the Xbox One S makes sense since I assume those are being moved as cheap 4K dvd players.

lol

Couldn't possibly be because it's a great console, right?

TalonJH

Pro numbers aren't surprising since it's Black Friday only and all the deals were PS4 & XB1 S.

I kinda wonder who the pro sells to. I imagine most enthusiasts are early adopters. Wouldn't everyone else just pick up the slim?

I feel like you have it mostly correct. That's their intended audiences.

Top Bottom