• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Yeah I am in the SH1 is the best camp. I dont get the love for SH2 outside of story fans. It was a step back in so many ways from SH1. It had practically no hell world, most of the game is you just walking around where SH1 had constant enemies and things going on. SH1 has so many more memorable locations like the school, how it changes into a hell school and you hear horrible noises in the boiler room. A hospital with 3 floors but an elevator that goes to a 4th floor. The amusement park, yikes. The things that happen in that game is so messed up, plays with your mind so much and of course it was first. SH2 is a walk in the park by comparison.

I liked SH3 a ton, a nice focus on action while keeping the awesome puzzles and craziness of the series in tact.

Yep yep yep. SH1 remains the best and SH3 is better than 2, though both 2 and 3 have their strengths.

Ravager61

I just beat Silent Hill 1 in preparation for this relase. Since 3 is more or less a sequal to 1, should I play that first or go ahead and play 2? I have played a bit of 2 in the past but I don't think I got very far.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I just beat Silent Hill 1 in preparation for this relase. Since 3 is more or less a sequal to 1, should I play that first or go ahead and play 2? I have played a bit of 2 in the past but I don't think I got very far.

SH2 isn't really connected to 1 or 3 in any meaningful way, so it doesn't matter whether you play 2 or 3 first.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yep yep yep. SH1 remains the best and SH3 is better than 2, though both 2 and 3 have their strengths.

Yeah, I still like 1 overall. 2 was more psychological horror whereas 3 was more gore/gruesome horror.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They also added new textures as they promised.

ito2.jpg

520Mo.jpg

What the hell is this? This is atrocious.

Konami is not treating SH2 with the reverence it deserves.

Is the one below rendered on a ps2 emulator on pc or something? not only it has more stuff on the screen, but it also looks sharper..?

Isn't that just how the ps2 version looks? The image quality isn't exactly amazing and the collection screenshot is taken from a video source I believe. For comparison : the pc version with widescreen mod.

iGEkpp3J30jwe.jpg

pa22word

The outside parts of the game has not aged well at all, at least not when you can see a background like that, can look good at other times.. But so good on pc with forced anti aliasing and stuff inside.

Well I was talking more about the HDv with the inconsistent and frankly amateurish texturing work reminiscent of a half-finished hi-res texture pack for an old PC game (based on that shot). Not to mention the really weird lighting. The dated visuals of the old releases don't bother me as it's the best they realistically could have done given when they were released.

This HD remix stinks of half-finished pushed out to meet the FY.

Oh, and I have the PC version as well...it just hasn't worked since I updated my drivers. I'll roll them back and play through it again if I ever really feel the need to go back to that version, but the last time I went through that version I had multiple crashes.

So I'll probably just save myself the hassle of figuring out which set of drivers it likes and doesn't like and just drag out my Xbox.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
SH3 is more doable. You can get it around 2-3 playthroughs.

Pretty much what I expected. Should be fun running through them all again.

Kind of disappointed there's no achievement for beating SH3 on it's hardest difficulty, but that might be asking too much to run through the game that many times.

Cudder

IN-FUCKING-SANE

And people complained about getting all the orbs in Jak2/3. lol

SH2 will be the rarest platinum ever.

Holy shit, you're right, I didn't even notice that trophy. :(

SH2 is my favourite game and I've beaten it 10+ times on the PS2, but I never even dared attempt a 10-star run.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

whatever. I'll get it. I NEED this platinum.

If you play it straight through multiple times (getting each ending) and look up the best way to handle the outdoors sections, it's a cake walk.

I have a feeling Konami will do a "Silent Hill HD Collection Volume 2" with Silent Hill 4, Origins, and Shattered Memories remastered.

Cudder

If you play it straight through multiple times (getting each ending) and look up the best way to handle the outdoors sections, it's a cake walk.

I don't think so man, there are just far too many variables that you have to consider. You don't even know your stats until you beat the game. The boat ride sequence, the killing 150 monsters one, the 500 pts of damage maximum. Still pretty effing hard I'd say.

UrbanRats

I never enjoyed playing with action level on hard, though.
I finished the game several times, ofcourse, but i usually play with: normal (Action Level) - hard (puzzles).
The controls are so incredibly stiff, too, that it makes it even more of a pain in the ass.

Persona7

Banned
The only way I can see Konami including the original Silent Hill is if they just throw the PS1 classic on the disk. The exact same file you can download off PSN.

If they are going to remake Silent Hill, it is going to be a big budget release and not part of a collection.

Cels

I've never played these games. Knew people held them in high regard, just never got around to buying them. I got my PS2 in '02 so yeah, not a matter of being late to the party or anything.

It's a shame that the port is looking kind of shabby, but this is probably the best option to play these games, so I'll probably buy it at some point.

Mr_Zombie

Is there still no video with SH3 new voices (that one trailer aside)? I remember one Gaffer said he could upload a short video from the beginning of the game.

I've never played these games. Knew people held them in high regard, just never got around to buying them. I got my PS2 in '02 so yeah, not a matter of being late to the party or anything.

It's a shame that the port is looking kind of shabby, but this is probably the best option to play these games, so I'll probably buy it at some point.

Honestly, at this point, it would probably be best just to buy the PS2 versions.

Persona7

Banned
Is there still no video with SH3 new voices (that one trailer aside)? I remember one Gaffer said he could upload a short video from the beginning of the game.

I did check that video earlier but the Silent Hill 2 video was the last one that was uploaded.

jimi_dini

No. It's not.
The requirements for 10 star rank (which is required for getting the green hyper spray) is:

Action level- hard
Riddle level- extra/or hard
Ending clear- 4/4(+3) <- clear the game for all the endings before
Saves- 2 <- save 2 times at most for the whole game
Time- beat game under 3 hours
Items- over 150+(+8)
Defeated enemies by shooting- over 75 kills
Defeated enemies by fighting- over 75 kills
Boat stage time- under 1min 20sec
Damage- under 500pts of damage

It's like Big Boss ranking in MGS series. And not the easy Big Boss ranking in MGS4. The actual Big Boss Ranking like in MGS1/2/3.

SH3 not having original VA is borderline deal breaker for me. I don't understand why Konami is such dicks about this kind of thing.

It was the deal breaker for me. I've got no problems with changes in a proper remake. But you don't change things in HD collections. Altered (worse) textures, and butchered voice acting are not a selling point to me. Least of all when I still need to keep my copy of Silent Hill 4 on hand. I mean, just what is the point of buying a "collection" that is a worse representation of the series than the games I already own?

Both achievement lists are mostly based on prerequisites for a ten-star rank. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've already completed most of these achievements in the PS2 versions except for the ten-star rank.

Also, those are really boring achievement icons. At least Metal Gear went for some style. These appear to be nothing more than screengrabs.

Where are the fog effects? Also, it's way too bright in some of those scenes. The texture work is nice for photos and paintings and such, but yeah, it's too clean for other things like the roads.

The Closer approaching Heather in the original is creepy, but it just looks ridiculous in the HD version.

What the fuck? I probably shouldn't, but I feel like I should get this just to see both games in their entirety. I could just sell it if it disgusts me enough.

Anteater

Yea the contrast is different and color aren't as vibrant, wonder if it's like that or just bad capture?

Example:

KvEZw.png

=(

pringles

I've ALWAYS always wanted to play Silent Hill 2. Will definitely take this chance.

Shame the game is so old I've had some things spoiled for me over the years.

Contrast wise, that's probably to due with in-game brightness settings more than anything. Many PS3/360 comparison videos early in the consoles life suffered from this issue.

Honestly, I can't wait for the collection to come out. My only problem is that Amazon.ca is still listing the game to be released on the 6th (I ordered it yesterday) and my order hasn't been shipped yet but it'd be pretty strange if it was sent.

Lime

Where did all the saturation go? And SH3 is missing all of its fog effects (in the beginning at least).

I don't think the noise effect is on in SH3 which could explain its weird cleanliness. Also, I wonder how high they have the brightness? It's also possible that they chose some bad clips to represent the originals. Some of them seemed way too dark while others were how I remembered them.

Top Bottom